Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Good Morty Thead Redux- PLEASE Be Civil4650

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
All fakes.
Post 301 IP   flag post
Collector 1243782365 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
So did any of us decide what to determine about the MADMAN edition of these books? I have another random person emailing me asking if his is real because he paid $150 Australian Dollars for his.

Wouldn't a stamp just be one colour? Doesn't that look like its printed into it making it a new printing and not a first print genuine copy?
Post 302 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
That's a good point. That's a 2 color 2 stage process on the plates.
Post 303 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
This position makes sense. These booklets look like they were cheaply made to begin with, so they are probably easy to reproduce.

No, it doesn't make sense. I wrote a [bleeping] [bleeping] 40 page document on how you can tell the differences. I have at minimum 2 people per day emailing me about this [bleeping] subject now.

This isn't a copy of Gobbedlygook for [bleeping] sake. It's not the same. Google that one if you don't understand the reference. That's an entirely other different rabbit hole.

Gobbledygook #1 (Mirage: 1984)
Some counterfeits are designated by having a yellow cover/interior with a badly forged Keven Eastman signature inside saying "_ of 500". Others may have a blue cover. Only 50 were made of the genuine comic and they were not numbered/signed. Other counterfeits have darkened interior cover art on glossy white pages with an Eastman signature saying "_ of 150".
Post 304 IP   flag post
Collector IntoAnother private msg quote post Address this user
Here’s the seller who has sold a few copies of the Madman version.

The-Good-Morty Mini Comic -1st Appearance of Rick and Morty,1st Edition (New) https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F122788446885

As you can see in the pic the Blu Ray also has the Madman logo on it. Those of you with legit Blu Ray’s may be able to compare the case/discs a bit more than myself as I don’t have one from the first release.

After the last response they gave me declining to give me any information about them I’m not even sure we will ever have the complete story behind these.

Safe assumption they made the discs, cases, and Good Morty’s themself?
Post 305 IP   flag post

Oh, I messaged the seller and he stated he recently closed a store and these were part of the inventory. For whatever that’s worth.
Post 306 IP   flag post

Need to see the inside left door of the blu-ray case. But yes, it appears they made everything. They have those capabilities, and it says so in their mission statement on their website.

2nd printings. Completely. They need to remove that "1st edition" on the backs.
Post 307 IP   flag post

Post 308 IP   flag post
I agree, they should have removed “1st Edition”. I’m sure it can be looked at as a “1st Madman Edition” if they planned to or made more after the initial printing but that may be a bit of a stretch and more unknowns into the equation.
Post 309 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke

Quote:

They need to remove that "1st edition" on the backs.

@IntoAnother

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoAnother

I agree, they should have removed “1st Edition”. I’m sure it can be looked at as a “1st Madman Edition” if they planned to or made more after the initial printing but that may be a bit of a stretch and more unknowns into the equation.

In that case they would also have to remove "Morty Publications".

Like I said, it's part of the parody.

Post 310 IP   flag post

Post 311 IP   flag post
Collector 1243782365 private msg quote post Address this user
Since CBCS won't grade these.

Is there a thread that lists all the books CBCS will not grade?
Post 312 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
This position makes sense. These booklets look like they were cheaply made to begin with, so they are probably easy to reproduce.

No, it doesn't make sense. I wrote a [bleeping] [bleeping] 40 page document on how you can tell the differences. I have at minimum 2 people per day emailing me about this [bleeping] subject now.

This isn't a copy of Gobbedlygook for [bleeping] sake. It's not the same. Google that one if you don't understand the reference. That's an entirely other different rabbit hole.

Gobbledygook #1 (Mirage: 1984)
Some counterfeits are designated by having a yellow cover/interior with a badly forged Keven Eastman signature inside saying "_ of 500". Others may have a blue cover. Only 50 were made of the genuine comic and they were not numbered/signed. Other counterfeits have darkened interior cover art on glossy white pages with an Eastman signature saying "_ of 150".

did you send to link to Steve on your document. you should PM him with it.
Post 313 IP   flag post
No but I assume he's clicked on it. I PM'd him the link, just in case.
Post 314 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Idk why the madmen shouldnt be considered a 1st print. It was the 1st print in AU, the inlt one available to that country. Its a foreign edition, simple as that.

Also, from TM:
"Please note the following information on the Australian/Madmen The Good Morty. The books were printed under license in 2014. That means they aren't 2nd editions or 2nd printings. They are 1st printings/1st Editions in Australia. I believe Madmen was authorized and licensed to print them and place them within the disk sets they sold. Please remember they are a $50 million company. (I read something on CBCS that someone wrote in that thread and that person is incorrect in what they wrote and were hinting at).

The best way I can describe them is that they appear professionally printed. If you showed me the US version and the Australian one and I did know anything about them then I would tell you that the Australian version is real and the US one is a counterfeit. That is the difference in the printing quality of the booklets.

They are printed on expensive slick paper. Almost magazine paper but a much heavier weight. Way nicer than the original 1st Edition US copy I own. The pages inside them are numbered. They are the same size as the original copy of the comic I own. Morty is a bit darker than his US counterpart but his hair is same shade of brown like the US copy. The red used on the front shaded area around his head is darker than the 1st Edition US copy. The black color used in the printing is darker and richer too.

Hope the above helps"
Post 315 IP   flag post
pics side by side or GTFO
Post 316 IP   flag post
and what is a TM
Post 317 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
and what is a TM
A tow-mater
Post 318 IP   flag post
oh. anyways.............................................................

it's technically a foreign edition reprint if the original source is america and the united states from an american intellectual property standpoint
Post 319 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
👆🏻 This
Post 320 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke, unfortunately, it's all still speculation. Why should cbcs expose itself to the possibility of wrongfully assessing the legitimacy of a raft of small comic-related booklets by grading them?
Post 321 IP   flag post
I am sorry but I respectfully disagree - it's not all speculation when you do side-by-side comparisons, is it not?
Post 322 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Yea, he he, I wouldn't want to grade and slab these either.

9.2 "The Good Morty" comic. Edition and authenticity undetermined.

Other comments:

Signature authenticated.

Madman variant.

Brown haired variant.

Black haired variant.

Highlighted brown hair variant.

Two staple variant.

Single staple variant.

"Initials" variant.

Did I forget anything?
Post 323 IP   flag post
5 KNOWN PRINTINGS SO FAR

First printing
First printing signed and stamped (250 copies)
Madman Entertainment Austalian Foreign Edition first printing
Counterfeit Copies containing 2 staples and faded inks
Counterfeit Copies containing 1 staple and faded inks
Post 324 IP   flag post
So, how does one buy or sell these as authentic?

When selling, stating "believed to be original and authentic"?

Or when buying "best educated guess" style?

Because if you could tell from all we know now. CBCS and CGC would be grading them.
Post 325 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Obviously it's speculation when you don't know which one is authentic, is it not? It's strange to even halfheartedly debate this.
Post 326 IP   flag post
No, It's strange that you guys can't tell the difference now that we do know what to look for.
Post 327 IP   flag post
Quote:
No, It's strange that you guys can't tell the difference now that we do know what to look for.

O'REALLY? You have decided what is what, and what isn't what.

Maybe you should give CBCS and CGC a call. Although one would think they have read your thoughts on this subject.

You may be spot on, or you may have missed something. I don't know yet. And that is where I (and CBCS and CGC) are at today.

I do applaud the work, effort and money you put into this. It is appreciated by the entire community. Really. And, odds are your conclusions are correct. But let's face it. The ONLY people who's determinations from matter, is the big two grading companies. They make the labels.
Post 328 IP   flag post
Has anyone with extras, sent a black haired child with one staple to PGX yet?

That would be interesting. And relatively quick.
Post 329 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
The ONLY people who's determinations from matter, is the big two grading companies. They make the labels.

Yeah, I know. Can't argue that.
Post 330 IP   flag post
597866 571 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.