Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Good Morty Thead Redux- PLEASE Be Civil4650

Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
This position makes sense. These booklets look like they were cheaply made to begin with, so they are probably easy to reproduce.
Post 276 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
I should note that by "this position," I am referring to the post by @SteveRicketts.
Post 277 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
After getting one in for grading, it was determined that the booklet is too easy to reproduce, so CBCS will not be grading them at this time. We already had this rule in place for similar items.

I do have the copies that Scorpion sent in. I'll do an analysis on them and let you guys know what I find.

Sorry for jumping the gun. We couldn't make a determination for sure until we had one in hand.

I'm calling you out, Steve. It's easy to reproduce. But it's easier to tell a fake from a real one.

Lame. I guess I know where to go from here on out.

Moving on, I guess.
Post 278 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
So did any of us decide what to determine about the MADMAN edition of these books? I have another random person emailing me asking if his is real because he paid $150 Australian Dollars for his.

Post 279 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Pretty sure madman was just distributor in Australia, so it should be real considering that the madman stamp was the only thing available in Australia
Post 280 IP   flag post

Collector IntoAnother private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke

I purchased a Madman copy the other day off eBay but it’s yet to arrive. Once I get it I’ll post pics of it next to the other copies I have.

I never heard back from Madman in regards to more information about the book. It did seam odd that they wouldn’t reveal anything else. We’ll see how it compares to the legit copy I have.
Post 281 IP   flag post
What I'd like to know is how CBCS can make that determination not even knowing if the book they were looking at was real.

If you're holding one of the fakes, yes, I can see looking at that and saying crap this thing was printed on somebody's inkjet and anybody can make 1000 of them with a hand stapler and some scissors; not the case with the real one though, it's much better quality
Post 282 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
This position makes sense. These booklets look like they were cheaply made to begin with, so they are probably easy to reproduce.

Did someone say easy to reproduce?

Post 283 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
So did any of us decide what to determine about the MADMAN edition of these books? I have another random person emailing me asking if his is real because he paid $150 Australian Dollars for his.

@shrewbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Pretty sure madman was just distributor in Australia, so it should be real considering that the madman stamp was the only thing available in Australia

It would seem the Madmen versions are legit, why would an official distributor produce a counterfeit?

I think the question is, are they reprints?
Post 284 IP   flag post
Collector KiloGraham private msg quote post Address this user
If the madmen logo is a stamp placed on the original then I'd say it's an original. But if it's been reprinted with the logo I'd say that's not real and a reproduction.
Post 285 IP   flag post
I found out more about Madman Entertainment. They are a legally licensed bootlegger for Australia. I do not call them first printings. If anything, they were legally allowed to reproduce them for sale in a foreign country. That points to reproduction.

These Madman books also feature a semi gloss cover. Big mistake if you ask me.
Post 286 IP   flag post

Post 287 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke

Quote:

legally licensed bootlegger

Now, that that's an oxymoron!
Post 288 IP   flag post
I'd say Austrailian version would be a foreign reprint, similar to panini reprints, if it were licensed
Post 289 IP   flag post
Collector Garnett21k private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@kaptainmyke

Quote:

legally licensed bootlegger

Now, that that's an oxymoron!

I was thinking the same thing! 😂😂😂
Post 290 IP   flag post
Thanks, I was trying to be funny. I agree they should be considered foreign editions, but only if they are actually from the same batch of first printings from 2014. Which I doubt, btw
Post 291 IP   flag post
1 in 5 Australians are descendants of penal colony transports.
Post 292 IP   flag post
@KiloGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloGraham
1 in 5 Australians are descendants of penal colony transports.

That's random.
Post 293 IP   flag post
Madman is a wholesale distribution center for DVDs and Blu-rays. Licensed or not, this points to mass production of movie media - either way you slice it. At the bottom of their "about us" page, it even states their production and design team is: "The workhorse of the business, our huge and dedicated production team never fails to amaze us with its ability to deliver finished stock of exceptional quality on time and on budget. Alongside our studio of 25 talented designers, headed up by our highly experienced creative director, the production team are experts in every area of DVD production including: slick and DVD menu design, disc authoring, ad design and art direction, TVC production and much more.

http://www.madman.com.au/
Post 294 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke

Discs, cases and inserts may have all been made there from digital files, instead of importing.
Post 295 IP   flag post
Quote:
@kaptainmyke

Discs, cases and inserts may have all been made there from digital files, instead of importing.

Totally 110% agree. They shouldn't use semigloss covers tho and a stamp right? Unless that's how to "identify a real madman" lulz
Post 296 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke

Quote:
Quote:
@kaptainmyke

Totally 110% agree. They shouldn't use semigloss covers tho and a stamp right? Unless that's how to "identify a real madman" lulz

If so, It would deem the Madman version a reprint.
Post 297 IP   flag post
If they were given permission to reprint them wouldn’t it be an industry standard to remove any indication that it is from a “1st Edition”?
Post 298 IP   flag post
It would just be a foreign edition then, no? Easily identifiable at least
Post 299 IP   flag post
I looked at "1st Edition" as part of the parody.
Post 300 IP   flag post
All fakes.
Post 301 IP   flag post
Collector 1243782365 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Wouldn't a stamp just be one colour? Doesn't that look like its printed into it making it a new printing and not a first print genuine copy?
Post 302 IP   flag post
That's a good point. That's a 2 color 2 stage process on the plates.
Post 303 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs

No, it doesn't make sense. I wrote a [bleeping] [bleeping] 40 page document on how you can tell the differences. I have at minimum 2 people per day emailing me about this [bleeping] subject now.

This isn't a copy of Gobbedlygook for [bleeping] sake. It's not the same. Google that one if you don't understand the reference. That's an entirely other different rabbit hole.

Gobbledygook #1 (Mirage: 1984)
Some counterfeits are designated by having a yellow cover/interior with a badly forged Keven Eastman signature inside saying "_ of 500". Others may have a blue cover. Only 50 were made of the genuine comic and they were not numbered/signed. Other counterfeits have darkened interior cover art on glossy white pages with an Eastman signature saying "_ of 150".
Post 304 IP   flag post
Here’s the seller who has sold a few copies of the Madman version.

The-Good-Morty Mini Comic -1st Appearance of Rick and Morty,1st Edition (New) https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F122788446885

As you can see in the pic the Blu Ray also has the Madman logo on it. Those of you with legit Blu Ray’s may be able to compare the case/discs a bit more than myself as I don’t have one from the first release.

After the last response they gave me declining to give me any information about them I’m not even sure we will ever have the complete story behind these.

Safe assumption they made the discs, cases, and Good Morty’s themself?
Post 305 IP   flag post
600631 571 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.