Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern Age

The Batman Who Laughs...1st Appearance?!4587

Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
I love the cover to The Batman Who Laughs one shot. I keep picking it up where I find it in 9.6 or better condition. Got 4 copies so far.

Also picked up Metal Three Mattina variant (the cheaper one) as well, and preordered the Del Otto variant for Metal #5. Looking forward to more covers of this character in the near future.

I really hope he sticks around for a while, but they don't go nuts and squander the character... Keep him "dangerous", you know? Shows up from time to time, complete chaos, and disappears.
Post 126 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe he will have a split personality in the next movie! Right
Post 127 IP   flag post
Ok.... Want to get mildly disturbed? Check out all of the fan art and such I've accumulated. A lot of it is "official" stuff, but most of it is not. Some is SOOOOOO good! I even found someone who got a tattoo already, but I didn't save that (why?).

https://www.pinterest.com/erikhendrixprofessionalwriter/comics-batman-who-laughs-villain-dc-comics/
Post 128 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
OH boy, here come Th spiderman homage covers....is there an ASM 300 and 316 (with TBWL standing over Batman) yet?
Post 129 IP   flag post
Quote:
OH boy, here come Th spiderman homage covers....is there an ASM 300 and 316 (with TBWL standing over Batman) yet?

Yeah, there was talk between the artist and one of the "boutique" online shops to get this (or something like it by the same artist, Thomas Mason) released as an official variant, too, but DC nixed the idea. Bah! It would have been AWESOME! This one was a custom piece he did for Sonny's Comics.
Post 130 IP   flag post

shame I didn’t preorder more
Post 131 IP   flag post
@poka Is that first or second print? Can't tell if it's metallic.
Post 132 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastbard

1st metal foil
Post 133 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastbard

1st metal foil

Nice pick-up! I have... two copies. :P

I think the only recent book I picked up more than a couple of copies of on a hunch was Teen Titans 12 and that was just four copies (all the Sejic cover). I knew I should have picked up more and could have, but didn't. With a press, one may hit 9.8, but that's with a little bit of luck. The others are probably 9.6 because of the nationwide issue with the book.
Post 134 IP   flag post
Collector lewell private msg quote post Address this user
about batman who laughs

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/12/06/the-batman-who-laughs/
Post 135 IP   flag post
Collector neyko private msg quote post Address this user
Metal #2, combined print run 1st and 2nd print = 162,823
Metal #2 Red Virgin Dell’Otto 950 copies according to the retailer.
Teen Titans #12 combined print run of both covers A and B = 57,359 copies.
Green Arrow #32 combined print run of both covers A and B = 48,898 copies.
Metal #3, combined 1st print run = 158,698*
Metal #3 Virgin Mattina 600 copies according to the retailer.
Post 136 IP   flag post
I noticed the red death one shot was breaking the $25 barrier on eBay...interesting.

It's easy to say that a rare variant cover that costs bundles of cash to begin with is the best investment, but not everyone is willing to pay $100 for that comic or whatever it's costing off the press.

I'd like to know the print run of TBWL...it's probably past 100k, but if you are talking great cover, % panels of TBWL and significance of the story, then it's got it all. And it doesn't have multiple variant covers to compete with which I believe detours investors on a key issue.

I will say after reading it the story felt rushed. Don't get me wrong, I liked it a lot, but I was left with a lot of questions with gaps in the story that have a lot of potential to be filled. I hope DC does one of these TBWL:Year One series and retell this origin across 4-8 issues in the future. Who is this dark universe joker? What did Bruc due to his son and the other "robins" to make them that way? and what did he do to supergirl? Plus his transition into TBWL was just a few panels but the story seemed like it took days to weeks for it to happen after (spoiler redacted)'s death and exposing him to "something" ....that was not entirely explained.

very rushed, but soooo much potential there. So that's a good thing for this character...we'll see where they take him after Metal.
Post 137 IP   flag post
in case you haven’t seen the DNM 5 Mattina Variants.

I have these for sell as pre-orders if anyone interested ( I also have some DNM 3 and 4 left).

I am selling at a price favourable to eBay.
Post 138 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
I just came across this character. I know where have I been but I haven't bought a modern in 15-20 years.
This guy as peaked my interest. Being a Batman/Joker fan and a Clive Barker fan, I love the look of the character. Looks like I might have to look at getting his first appearance. Anyone selling one
Post 139 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
Looks like I might have to look at getting his first appearance. Anyone selling one

First, DC has to clarify what his 1st appearance is.
Post 140 IP   flag post
Quote:
I just came across this character. I know where have I been but I haven't bought a modern in 15-20 years.
This guy as peaked my interest. Being a Batman/Joker fan and a Clive Barker fan, I love the look of the character. Looks like I might have to look at getting his first appearance. Anyone selling one

Metal #2 is the first appearance and is a cameo.

clickable text

Teen Titans #12 is his first FULL appearance, and is getting the most love on aftermarket value...mostly because it was a more limited run and trends tends to value full appearances more than cameos when given a choice between the two.

Don't be fooled by sites that state Dark Days: The Casting is his first appearance as it's just a shadow on the last page....basically it's less than a cameo. Most do not acknowledge or consider a shadow a first appearance.

But don't dismiss The Batman Who Laughs #1 as it contains the first telling of his origin, albeit very hastily done...someday they'll expand upon this across more issues (like a Batman: Year One) or original graphic novel (like A Killing Joke) and do it right. One issue didn't do the character origin justice, IMO.

Hope that helps.
Post 141 IP   flag post
So there are 3 versions of Teen Titans 12? Which one should I target?
Post 142 IP   flag post
@moodswing I'd go after Cover A (1st print) as it has the BWL on the cover, which is also his first cover appearance as well.

I believe this version also will command the highest price...so if you're just looking for the story and don't want to pay $20+, go after the 2nd print.
Post 143 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Metal #2 is the first appearance and is a cameo.

Teen Titans #12 is his first FULL appearance

But they both were released on the same day.
Post 144 IP   flag post
The events of Metal #2 technically are before TT #12...

...and comic store owners were instructed to place Metal #2 on the racks first before TT #12 just to make it official.

I'm kidding about that second part...

There's really no aftermarket demand for Metal #2 over cover price, if that helps. Plus because there are so many variant covers for Metal #2, it kind of dilutes the value...especially the regular cover variants...
Post 145 IP   flag post
This comic is pretty recent right? Prices seem high for a new comic. Is that common nowadays?
Post 146 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
This comic is pretty recent right? Prices seem high for a new comic. Is that common nowadays?

When speculation and hype get involved yes!!!

My LCS recently changed owners and I missed this TT12 but Metal 2 was pulled for me - going to wait it out myself.
I expect an initial spike with people overpaying and then priced to level off.
If this character really has staying power I won't mind picking it up then.
Post 147 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:

My LCS recently changed owners and I missed this TT12 but Metal 2 was pulled for me - going to wait it out myself.

Debating if I should wait or not. Just really surprising to me to see a first appearance of a character that just came out that his first appearance is already going for more than well established characters.
Post 148 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
his first appearance is already going for more than well established characters.

most likely speculative hope that he becomes an established character, which i believe he will be here to stay, actually
Post 149 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Funny how the top two new characters this past year are just mash ups, nothing original.

Hulk and wolverine.

Batman and Joker.

What’s next, a bald Superman or a green Spiderman?

Sorry but as cool as the hulkverine and giggling Batman are, I don’t think they’ll be this popular for many years. They’ll just end up doing small cameos here and there
Post 150 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:

Yeah, "speculation" took a little bit longer in the past, since we had to do a bit of guess work on our own, reading Previews, looking at the books on the shelves weekly, Comic Shop News, Wizard when it came around, what Wizard said (after it came out) month-to-month was hot, trending, etc... So, it was a hip-shoot mentality until something could confirm, "ok, yes, this is hot," and give an actual price.

Now, we have ways to let us know ahead of time, "this book is sold out at the distribution level," news warning us of new appearances, sites selling out before books are "officially" released, eBay helping to set pricing based on supply and demand instantly, and are not at the mercy of base-line inflated retail demand prices... It's a new world!

Some of us have been around watching the world change through the conversion.
Post 151 IP   flag post
Collector jdangerc private msg quote post Address this user
I have to say I'm pretty shocked on how TT#12 has jumped in price. My LCS has #12 priced at $50. I thought that was pretty high. Then I checked ebay and most are in the $50-$60 range with most ending at $39. As crazy as it sounds, I think this issue will continue to rise in price, hitting the $100 mark (just a prediction) by summer. With a print run less than 60,000 and a high demand in the character, I think "The Batman Who Laughs" is our next Venom.
Post 152 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdangerc
I have to say I'm pretty shocked on how TT#12 has jumped in price. My LCS has #12 priced at $50. I thought that was pretty high. Then I checked ebay and most are in the $50-$60 range with most ending at $39. As crazy as it sounds, I think this issue will continue to rise in price, hitting the $100 mark (just a prediction) by summer. With a print run less than 60,000 and a high demand in the character, I think "The Batman Who Laughs" is our next Venom.

This is what I mean. He has been out for a month and he is already the next Venom ha.
Post 153 IP   flag post
Monitored an auction. Went for $45. I think I will go ahead and skip this character ha.
Post 154 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
It looks like he first appeared in The Lord of the Rings as The Mouth of Sauron.

Post 155 IP   flag post
600892 165 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?