Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern Age

The Batman Who Laughs...1st Appearance?!4587

COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Do you need someone to talk to? If this is a call for help, let us know
Post 76 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 77 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by userX745

Here are all four covers together. It does connect.

I don't see it. Have I lost my geek gene?
Post 78 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Quote:

They connect through the background, which is rather weak.
Post 79 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
connecting clouds imo
Post 80 IP   flag post

Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
Is Scott Snyder Considered the creator of the Batman that laughs? If so that means I can get him to sign TT12?
Post 81 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacha777
Is Scott Snyder Considered the creator of the Batman that laughs? If so that means I can get him to sign TT12?

clickable text

Co-created with Greg Capullo according to the link above.
Post 82 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:

clickable text

Says first appearance is casting
Post 83 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

clickable text

As a shadow in the background yes. Read above, it's been discussed.
Post 84 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

clickable text

As a shadow in the background yes. Read above, it's been discussed.

I read the discussion but it doesn't seem like ebay cares ATM
Post 85 IP   flag post
Collector Waddly private msg quote post Address this user
Seems like TT #12 is selling VERY well on eBay right now.
Post 86 IP   flag post
Ebay doesn't care because most people don't consider a shadow technically a "first appearance." Even metal #2 which chronologically was his first appearance as a cameo is not increasing in value. But it also has a lot of variant covers to choose from which seems to discourage price increases historically.
Post 87 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I remember before the Doctor Strange movie came out and folks were speculating on the villain; one of the rumors was Kaluu.

He has a cameo in one issue of Strange Tales; then another full appearance in the subsequent Strange Tales issue.
I bought both and was shocked to see the "cameo".

It was his eyes.... literally... his eyes on the last page. Man o man was I disappointed at that "cameo". A friggin pair of eyeballs
Post 88 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Have the other 2 first appearances guess I need to get TT12 to cover my bases??

Still have to get Dime Press 4 to finish off my 3 first appearances of Hell Boy!!
Post 89 IP   flag post
Maybe it's more like the Publisher who laughs!!
Post 90 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I remember before the Doctor Strange movie came out and folks were speculating on the villain; one of the rumors was Kaluu.

He has a cameo in one issue of Strange Tales; then another full appearance in the subsequent Strange Tales issue.
I bought both and was shocked to see the "cameo".

It was his eyes.... literally... his eyes on the last page. Man o man was I disappointed at that "cameo". A friggin pair of eyeballs

Check out Batman 357, Jason Todd s first appearance. It's one panel and he's not even mentioned by name (introduced with family as the "Todd's". And it commands hundreds of dollars. But I'm not sure he had a "full" appearance until after several cameos.
Post 91 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Quote:

They connect through the background, which is rather weak.

Yeah, it's mostly the clouds and the ears through the first two covers. I was warning about them in the boards here a couple of weeks before TT12 was released. Bats out of Hell 1-4 is one connecting cover by EVS as well. So, in Dark Nights Metal, we have the main mini, one-shots for the Dark Batmen, Batman Lost, Gothan Resistance (Connecting Covers Options), Bats out of Hell (Connecting Covers Options), and then Wild Hunt is coming. Supposedly, there's a Hawkman Found(?) coming, too.
Post 92 IP   flag post
Here's Gotham Resistance... Either they didn't account for Full Bleed / Trim when they plotted the images for print, or the images released to press and retailers weren't 100% accurate. To account, I put a black gap between them, since they didn't meet up correctly.

Post 93 IP   flag post
And... if you want to see the elements that tie them together... unfortunately, the forums aren't letting the image blow up much! I'm uploading a fairly large image. Bah!

Post 94 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
It looks like, based on eBay sales that people are really pushing TT 12, but DC themselves have listed METAL 2 as the 1st appearance.

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/08/21/the-batman-who-laughsand-his-boy-wonders

Much like the Jason Todd and Kaluu references, Apocalypse had his first cameo in X-Factor 5, but he was only in shadow, much like The Casting. First full reveal in X-Factor 6.

Batman Who Laughs, 1st "appearance" is METAL 2. 1st "full" appearance is TT 2.

But it will be interesting to see in a year from now what gets favoured in the market, or if any of this is even relevant.
Post 95 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC_II
It looks like, based on eBay sales that people are really pushing TT 12, but DC themselves have listed METAL 2 as the 1st appearance.

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/08/21/the-batman-who-laughsand-his-boy-wonders

Much like the Jason Todd and Kaluu references, Apocalypse had his first cameo in X-Factor 5, but he was only in shadow, much like The Casting. First full reveal in X-Factor 6.

Batman Who Laughs, 1st "appearance" is METAL 2. 1st "full" appearance is TT 2.

But it will be interesting to see in a year from now what gets favoured in the market, or if any of this is even relevant.

Yeah, it's all the same debate, but comes down to shadow, appearance (cameo), and full appearance (first appearance). Since Metal 2 and TT 12 both came out the same week, both would have a lot of demand. As others have mentioned, though. Teen Titans had a much smaller print run and only two covers, one of which actually has the Batman Who Laughs on it. They were straight A/B Covers with DC Release confusion.
Post 96 IP   flag post
this is why we can't have nice things.
Post 97 IP   flag post
Oh! And the connecting covers for Bats out of Hell...

Flash 33
Justice League 32
Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps 32
Justice League 33

Post 98 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastbard

Yeah, it's all the same debate, but comes down to shadow, appearance (cameo), and full appearance (first appearance). Since Metal 2 and TT 12 both came out the same week, both would have a lot of demand. As others have mentioned, though. Teen Titans had a much smaller print run and only two covers, one of which actually has the Batman Who Laughs on it. They were straight A/B Covers with DC Release confusion.

Not to mention condition on those books too. A lot of guys selling them are complaining of spine ticks. So really from a collectors' perspective, the TT 12 would be the hunt. That's true. I just really love the bulletproof cover of metal 2 so much. I don't think metal 2 will get nearly the praise
Post 99 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC_II
Not to mention condition on those books too. A lot of guys selling them are complaining of spine ticks. So really from a collectors' perspective, the TT 12 would be the hunt. That's true. I just really love the bulletproof cover of metal 2 so much. I don't think metal 2 will get nearly the praise

Oh yeah, I've seen a LOT of TT12 with spine ticks. I have four copies and two of them have ticks. I may send my two without to get pressed and graded just to see what happens. Heck, I might send all four "just in case", since I don't think there are color breaks. Probably something that happened on the printing side, since this may be country wide. The only TT12 I've seen that was CGC'd on eBay was a 9.6. I would have figured we'd see some 9.8's by now (unless people are holding them).

EDIT: When I say "on the printing side", I'm more thinking packaging from printer to cartons or transportation from printer to Diamond, since that would be the last time all of the same covers would have been together. We'll never know, of course, but this is far from the first time a single variant has been screwed up for the country. Another recent was the Venomized Aunt May for Spectacular Spider-Man 4. Normal covers, fine, Venomized had complaints nationwide. They would not have been broken down by cover until they hit Diamond. So, damage occurred at Printer, in transit to Diamond, or when Diamond was handling between dock and sorting the variants only.
Post 100 IP   flag post
Many of the recent batman B variant covers (Tim sale, in particular) were littered with spine ticks...while the A covers were consistently 9.6/9.8s. Something going on there too.

I'll have to look at my tt12 again. I think I got a 9.6 or better A cover a week after it came out. I had a B cover but sold it a few weeks ago before the price jump...it was a 9.6 or better. So I'm not sure it's a national thing. I think I saw a 9.8 on eBay about a week ago...
Post 101 IP   flag post
Quote:
I think I saw a 9.8 on eBay about a week ago...

clickable text

clickable text
Post 102 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

clickable text

Wow, small world. That guy earned a spot on my ebay block list a few weeks ago.
Post 103 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

clickable text

clickable text

Funny, the Signature Series one does have two small spine ticks I can see, and I wouldn't consider the regular 9.8 a 9.8, but maybe I judge harsher... That one, though, isn't because of spine ticks, just because of a corner ding and the spine, bottom half, had broken color. At least, that's what my eyes saw looking at them for several seconds each.
Post 104 IP   flag post
I particularly like how none of the graded books actually state 1st appearance either TT12's or Metal 2 or Casting
Post 105 IP   flag post
600777 165 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?