Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
COLLECTOR Stu private msg quote post Address this user
Need some assistance please. I have the opportunity to have Stan Lee sign one of my books, but I'm unable to decide what book to crack and place some ink. I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks in advance.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
none
Post 2 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Stu - when you think of Stan Lee, is there a particular character that you associate him with more than others? Also, will the cost of getting his signature on a comic book potentially increase the book’s value enough to make it worth it?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Absolute_Zero private msg quote post Address this user
Nice books woul go either FF or Spidey. Those were his babies whe he made marvel what its now. My opinion thou
Post 4 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
none

I'm not much of a sig fan either. However, if you're looking to increase the value of the book (and since it's already yellow labeled) you can't go wrong with a double signature on the Incredible Hulk 181.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Deadpoolica private msg quote post Address this user
ASM 14
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Odvar private msg quote post Address this user
Getting a witnessed signature will raise the grade slightly. I would get it in the already witnessed signature comic.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odvar
Getting a witnessed signature will raise the grade slightly. I would get it in the already witnessed signature comic.

You are mistaken...signatures have nothing to do with the grade.

Also, I wouldn't put his name on anything that he didn't actually work on. so my vote is asm 14.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Generally speaking, I prefer Stan - and any creator - to sign books that they actually worked on. Not just any book that features a character they created or are known for.

So ASM 14, FF 45 and 52 would my choices. ASM 14 would be my first of those three.

Another I would consider though is the Hulk 181. Because I like multiple signatures
Post 9 IP   flag post
Signatures are in some cases considered art and would fall under CBCS guidelines for their grading which involves science and art.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
ASm 14
Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I'll second (or third or whatever) the suggestion for the ASM 14 or the Fantastic Four books.

I personally had my ASM 129 signed by Stan based on thefact that he contributed the "Punisher" name to the character; hilariously enough, a name he'd already given to another minor character
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
Hulk 181. 2 sigs on that book will increase the value imo.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Signatures are in some cases considered art and would fall under CBCS guidelines for their grading which involves science and art.

So explain how that would increase the grade from, say, a 7.0. The grade is the condition of the paper, my understanding...I'm not following how a grade goes up..if anything it actually could go down if the handler isn't careful during the signing process...

If you want a grade bump or best chance to maintain the grade you should add a press before or after signature.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:

So explain how that would increase the grade from, say, a 7.0. The grade is the condition of the paper, my understanding...I'm not following how a grade goes up..if anything it actually could go down if the handler isn't careful during the signing process...

If you want a grade bump or best chance to maintain the grade you should add a press before or after signature.

It states in their FAQ that grading is part science and art and that the standards vary based on CBCS, dealers and collectors. This creates a wide base for grading that isn’t restricted to just the condition of the comic. If you get a comic with a signature unverified then it is considered graffiti. A verified signature when graded will be different as the mark to book has changed the condition of the book. This would then change the status of the grade for the book as it is now part of the book as it’s suppose to be there. Let me put it like this, if you give a blank variant to be graded and it comes back as a 8.5, but then you have a sketch artist sketch a masterpiece on the front of the cover, would that enhance the grade or hurt it? Depends. All that color leaking from the pages through the cover is now covered by a sketch. Does a signature guarantee a higher grade? Nope. Would it help your grade if it’s that comics first time being graded with a signature or two? More than likely yes. It’s an iffy area to dwell in.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Getting a witnessed signature will raise the grade slightly.

Quote:
Does a signature guarantee a higher grade? Nope.

My comment was to your first statement that this it was a guaranteed grade bump when signed. Not true. If anything, it's just as likely to go down or stay the same...because grading is subjective...and multiple people are handling you book and likely in a rush to move it along...not caring or knowing any better about maintaining the condition of your book. Which is why a press after signature should be considered.

But if your argument is an unwitnessed/unverified signature is a lower grade than a witnessed/verified signature when graded by a third party then I agree with just that statement.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Call me a dinosaur, but signing the cover of one of these keys detracts from appeal to me. Do I think a signed copy of ASM 14 by Stan the man would be cool? Yes, just not in my collection. I cringe when I see Hulk 181's with writing across that beautiful cover! Now, back to the question at hand: Yes, according to books being sold with signatures (verified and or witnessed) do command a higher dollar so have at it and for Pete's sake have him sign the ASM 14! Nuff said.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I have a question for this crew. How long can a book stay slabbed before it will have to be re-slabbed? I'm a collector by nature and in it for the long haul. Sure, I love seeing books I paid cover price sky rocket or buying key books at a discount, but truth is I would probably not get rid of my collection unless it is to up-grade a particular book. So again, how long before my slabbed books will have to be cracked open and re-slabbed if at all? Thanks. Nuff said.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Cop
I have a question for this crew. How long can a book stay slabbed before it will have to be re-slabbed? I'm a collector by nature and in it for the long haul. Sure, I love seeing books I paid cover price sky rocket or buying key books at a discount, but truth is I would probably not get rid of my collection unless it is to up-grade a particular book. So again, how long before my slabbed books will have to be cracked open and re-slabbed if at all? Thanks. Nuff said.

CBCS uses archival quality material for their inner well, so never.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Thanks for your in put Logan510. Much appreciated.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector MedicAR private msg quote post Address this user
Multi signature books are fun but what did Stan have to do with Hulk #181? I'm a big signature series collector and am profoundly frustrated by all of the modern books and just Marvel books in general are signed by Mr. Lee. To me, Hulk #181 isn't really a Hulk book, it's the first Wolverine book. With that in mind, Len Wein, Herb Trimpe, and even John Romita are all fine. One could argue that Stan Lee co-created the Hulk, so he still counts but he had nothing to do with this book.

Just throwing another option out there, how about a reprint? I have tons of reprints signed by a variety of creators from the Golden Age to present from both Marvel and DC. They are generally high grade, present nicely, and can even be a collection unto themselves. There are the True Believer editions which are plentiful in high grade or there are the Marvel Milestone Editions which are a little tougher to get in perfect shape but still make nice signed books.

From the books you have listed, Amazing Spider-Man #14 or either of the FFs would be excellent choices. Just keep in mind that Mr. Lee isn't a spring chicken anymore and his signature varies and becomes significantly degraded as the day goes on. He has also been known to change hands while signing which also affects the quality of his signature. I'm not trying to scare you away, I just want you to go in with your eyes open!
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Squack private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Generally speaking, I prefer Stan - and any creator - to sign books that they actually worked on. Not just any book that features a character they created or are known for.

So ASM 14, FF 45 and 52 would my choices. ASM 14 would be my first of those three.

Another I would consider though is the Hulk 181. Because I like multiple signatures

This. It is the most practical response. Stan Lee had nothing to do with the other books directly, so why not consider a Batman or Ninja Turtle book for him to sign?

Not all Marvel books need a Stan Lee signature.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicAR
Just throwing another option out there, how about a reprint? I have tons of reprints signed by a variety of creators from the Golden Age to present from both

This is what I chose to do...took my newspaper reprint of AF #15 and sent it in for a Lee signature and grading. I also agree that the classic books should not be signed on the covers...interior is fine. Personally i would pay more for an amazing spiderman 300 without Lee's signature on the cover. And definitely not a fan of people signing books they did not directly take part in. Stan Lees signature on a Star Wars comic is just wrong, for example.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicAR
Just throwing another option out there, how about a reprint? I have tons of reprints signed by a variety of creators from the Golden Age to present from both

This is what I chose to do...took my newspaper reprint of AF #15 and sent it in for a Lee signature and grading. I also agree that the classic books should not be signed on the covers...interior is fine. Personally i would pay more for an amazing spiderman 300 without Lee's signature on the cover. And definitely not a fan of people signing books they did not directly take part in. Stan Lees signature on a Star Wars comic is just wrong, for example.

I hear you on the Star Wars but the 300? IMO it might as well not be a slabbed 300 without his sig. Thats the market for the 300s you go buy the grade then by the grade of his signature.

That being said getting hiss sig on a high dollar book would be scary nowadays. The hand switching mentioned earlier is why some of theses sigs are terrible blobs.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan

hard to risk that book with that nice sig on it already could come back as a 5 with an ink spot where Len's sig used to be. Good news if that happens is I heard that your tears will work as a solvent for the Stan sig Blob.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_K
I hear you on the Star Wars but the 300? IMO it might as well not be a slabbed 300 without his sig. Thats the market for the 300s you go buy the grade then by the grade of his signature.

I don't think it increases the value of the book more than what he charges plus
All the fees associated with the witnessing/slabbing proces. His signature is on everything...I don't think it's really that special or really increase the value of something more than the cost to aquire (~$200?). It may help move a book faster, though...not sure, to be honest.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

All the fees associated with the witnessing/slabbing proces. His signature is on everything...I don't think it's really that special or really increase the value of something more than the cost to aquire (~$200?). It may help move a book faster, though...not sure, to be honest.

Ya i'm only half joking since the whole premise is ridiculous. I have about 5 300s all signed by stan how rare can they be? Although the difference on the bay between the stan signed and unsigned is usually more than $200 and it keeps going up.
Post 27 IP   flag post
the guy signs at shows all the time still and does it till his hands quit working.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ya i'm only half joking since the whole premise is ridiculous. I have about 5 300s all signed by stan how rare can they be? Although the difference on the bay between the stan signed and unsigned is usually more than $200 and it keeps going up.

Price increase might be because he keeps raising the price of his sig...and I do believe he's done with the con circuit...could be some increased demand because of a sense the supply is about to be cut off..or at least a significant decrease in production...🤔
Post 29 IP   flag post
He's not done. Its like an arena rock reunion tour that happens every single year.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601288 34 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?