Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Silver Age

FS: Amazing Fantasy 15 CBCS 2.5 GORGEOUS4574

Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
I don’t mind looking at cool books for sale, but if someone starts quoting price points in different grades as some type of justification. That’s just straight up carnival barking.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by comic_book_man
@jeranimal Welcome, beautiful book!

As far as the price goes, the last 3 months 2.5s have been selling for like $12,000 - $16,000 so $17,500 is a possibility you just might have to be patient.

The whole idea of the forums isn't to command retail prices(you can do that on eBay), it's to negotiate a fair price and avoid excessive 3rd party fees. You may need to knock off a couple thousand though.

Good luck man!

His asking price is $17,500.he said he was open to negotiation.

He does not have to sell the book below FMV, because it would be a direct transaction.

There is no such thing as "retail prices", there is only FMV.

It is a very nice looking 2.5, the designated P.Q. is not subpar.OTOH, it is not OW to W, either but overall, for a 2.5, it looks like a cherry book.

Anyone who has the dough to buy an AF 15, can and certainly pays for both a GPA and a GOCOLLECT subscription😊

Personally, I would rather let a site like Comic Connect, Comic Link,Mycomicshop, Bob at Highgradecomics or Roy at VintageComics, broker the sale.

A 10% vig pays for itself IMO through more views, just put your 17.5 OBO on it and wait.You don't have to worry about either party, trying to pull a bait & switch.

I am not suggesting thst would happen, but that is one of the benefits of using a concrete third party, to sell a book.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@CopperAgeKids I wasn't suggesting anything was wrong with his price or that he should change it. I was just commenting on the posts before mine in which people were picking at his price point(saying it's to much).

"retail" is just a figure of speech, don't over analyze please.
Obviously this is not a retail environment, only that his item was to be sold @ 17.5k with no indication of him paying for the fees/shipping so that gets tacked onto the "total".

Retail Price: "The total price charged for a product sold to a customer, which includes the manufacturer's cost plus a retail markup." ...ie his PayPal fee request (which he edited out since then, after @poka commented)

I agree he should sell it on CC / CL for the best bang for his buck.

@jeranimal As I said, a beautiful book. Be patient and you'll get your 17.5k or close to it.
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak

Speaking of that. If a deal on here goes bad, is there someplace to record the scofflaw that says "I'll take it" but never pays? Do you comment on the sales thread or start a new thread, to let other members know about the person who fails to finish a deal on here?

I'd name names. There are very few valid excuses in this world for reneging a deal. Like dying. Dying is reasonable.

We need a feedback thread
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector zosocane private msg quote post Address this user
There really should be a rule prohibiting thread-krapping on a listing. A seller should be able to price a book at whatever price he or she wishes without subsequent negative comments about pricing. The CGC boards have such a rule, and for good reason. If you don't like the price, move to the next thread. "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all," goes the saying.

"Buy the book, not the grade," goes another saying. This is a stunning book regardless of the technical grade. If I were looking for a copy of AF15, I would have already contacted the seller.

GLWTS
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by comic_book_man

Retail Price: "The total price charged for a product sold to a customer, which includes the manufacturer's cost plus a retail markup." ...ie his PayPal fee request

Wait, which part are you saying Paypal fees a part of...? Because they're neither the manufacturer's cost, nor the retail markup. And it's not the manufacturer's cost, it's the retailer's cost to obtain it from the manufacturer and/or distributor.

Funny how that little apostrophe changes the meaning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbm
@jeranimal As I said, a beautiful book. Be patient and you'll get your 17.5k or close to it.

With the way this market has been going, you may be right, but I would HATE to be the one without a seat when the music stops playing...and it WILL stop playing.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zosocane
There really should be a rule prohibiting thread-krapping on a listing. A seller should be able to price a book at whatever price he or she wishes without subsequent negative comments about pricing. The CGC boards have such a rule, and for good reason. If you don't like the price, move to the next thread. "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all," goes the saying.

"Buy the book, not the grade," goes another saying. This is a stunning book regardless of the technical grade. If I were looking for a copy of AF15, I would have already contacted the seller.

GLWTS

I am in complete agreement with everything that you have expressed here.

"Buy the book, not the grade", especially has a lot of relevance towards this particular 2.5.

$17,500 is a very reasonable asking price.

FWIW, the other advantage of listing this book directly by the seller onto eBay at $17.5 asking price via BIN, is that it would have a signifigant trickle down effect on his other listings. from buyers who would see this slab, knowing they couldn't afford to spend thousands of dollars on any given book, they are likely to look at what else he has listed and buy one or more of other SA thru modern Spidey's he may have listed.

Or other books,he has listed that a ASM fan may want to buy, in general.

Trickle down economics does not work in politics, it is a laughable and insulting policy position, IMHO.

But "trickle down economics" sure as Hell works, when applied to listing key slabs.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@DocBrown lol true by definition he is not a manufacturer I was just implying that he was looking to charge a price + extra costs(shipping + fees) to the customer which sort of gives it that retail flare as a total cost incurred to the customer.

I was mainly using "retail" as a figure of speech for referencing eBay as retail and the forums as "not retail".

Copper was getting "technical" toward my post, I was just clarifying what I was trying to say.

And yes, nobody wants to be left without a chair when the music stops so high cost books always have the extra risk in terms of potential dollars lost.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector jeranimal private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

GLWTS
+1 on this comment Thanks for the input, zoscane.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Dennis The Menace #78 ... $25,999.00 OBO Hurry only one left!

Post 35 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Congrats on sale man
Post 36 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
That was a nice AF u had
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector jeranimal private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverogers11
Congrats on sale man

Thanks Steve. I got the price I wanted and the buyer is ecstatic!
I'm glad it went to a good home.
Post 38 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
That was a nice AF u had

Is that now a nice AF YOU have? Congrats are due there as well 🍺
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeranimal
Quote:
Congrats on sale man

Thanks Steve. I got the price I wanted and the buyer is ecstatic!
I'm glad it went to a good home.

Congrats on the sale. The nicest copy in that grade we will ever see.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Just FYI, sold today...
Amazing Fantasy #15 (Marvel, 1962) CGC Conserved GD+ 2.5 Cream to off-white pages....
Auction 121742 | Lot: 13190 | Oct 15, 2017
Sold For: $8,365.00

Amazing Fantasy #15 (Marvel, 1962) CGC Conserved GD+ 2.5 Cream to off-white pages. The origin and first appearance of Spider-Man, and the first appearances of Uncle Ben and Aunt May. Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko cover and art. Currently ranks #1 on Overstreet's list of Top 50 Silver Age Comics. CGC notes, "Conservation includes: staples replaced. Cover and first wrap married." Overstreet 2017 GD 2.0 value = $7,000.

Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
Just FYI, sold today...
Amazing Fantasy #15 (Marvel, 1962) CGC Conserved GD+ 2.5 Cream to off-white pages....
Auction 121742 | Lot: 13190 | Oct 15, 2017
Sold For: $8,365.00

Amazing Fantasy #15 (Marvel, 1962) CGC Conserved GD+ 2.5 Cream to off-white pages. The origin and first appearance of Spider-Man, and the first appearances of Uncle Ben and Aunt May. Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko cover and art. Currently ranks #1 on Overstreet's list of Top 50 Silver Age Comics. CGC notes, "Conservation includes: staples replaced. Cover and first wrap married." Overstreet 2017 GD 2.0 value = $7,000.

Dude, your Dennis The Menace post was bad enough.

Both in showing poor decorum on your part, and indicating you do not know what the term fair market value represents, in relation to AF 15 in general.

Last sale of a coverless AF 15, with the 1st wrap detached, sold for a bit under $4000...that was a CGC NG slab.
Which would be graveside, a .03 or a ,05, if graded by CBCS.

GPA average of coverless MY or .05 is around $3500.

Overstreet's pruce of 7K in 2.0 is ridiculously off the mark.

The CGC 2.5 you posted here has a CONSERVED GRADE.

Read the label notes.

Prior to conservation, based on the label notes and just the FC scan, that CGC Conserved 2.5 lab would have likely been a 1.0., prior to the conservation work performed on the book....I will admit that is a guess on my part but a book with a reinforced spine and replaced, or cleaned,staples says a good bit, if you look at the current state of the book, post conservation.

In short, your "just from today" post with no regard noted for the conservation done on that CGC 2.5,, shows that you are just about as far off the mark, as can be.

Adding Overstreet's evaluation for a 2.0 raw copy, slams a third pumpkin , pie in your face.
Post 42 IP   flag post
I misspoke, I was looking at the label notes on my cell.

Staples were replaced, the cover and 1st wrap were married.

So, it would not grade as low as I posted above, before conservation had been performed.

Withstanding my error, my othee points are still just as valid.
Post 43 IP   flag post
If your point in replying to "Dennis The Menace #78 ... $25,999.00" was to prove you have no sense of humor, you succeeded.

Thanks for your correction on misspeaking ...on one point. I simply started my post off with "Just FYI".

Also if you missed my second post in this thread, here it is,

Quote:
Seriously, you don't need to justify it. You are more than welcome to ask whatever you want. After all, you own it. I'm sure most of us would like a copy but for me, it's just a little out of my monthly allotment and out of my reach

So if your trying to start an argument for no reason, go somewhere else.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeranimal

[quote]quote=OGJackster]

These look absolutely nothing like each other....the cbcs one is a world away from cgc...(or at least a whole integer on the grading scale). And then you add in the whole "conserved" part...I can see the cbcs copy going for double the cgc, easily. Makes sense to me.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
If your point in replying to "Dennis The Menace #78 ... $25,999.00" was to prove you have no sense of humor, you succeeded.

Thanks for your correction on misspeaking ...on one point. I simply started my post off with "Just FYI".

Also if you missed my second post in this thread, here it is,

Quote:
Seriously, you don't need to justify it. You are more than welcome to ask whatever you want. After all, you own it. I'm sure most of us would like a copy but for me, it's just a little out of my monthly allotment and out of my reach

So if your trying to start an argument for no reason, go somewhere else.

What you call a lack of "sense of humor", is what I would call, and just about anyone else on this forum or on the other side of the street, to be full on thread krapping.
Post 46 IP   flag post
thread crapping
v. Thread crapping occurs when a person comes into a thread and posts something contrary to the spirit/intent of the thread, often derailing the discussion or turning it into an argument.

Hummm, kind of like what you're doing there Mr Hypocrite? If you don't like a persons post, ignore it! Go pick a fight with another school kid.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
These look absolutely nothing like each other....the cbcs one is a world away from cgc...(or at least a whole integer on the grading scale). And then you add in the whole "conserved" part...I can see the cbcs copy going for double the cgc, easily. Makes sense to me.

Agreed, I simply posted it as an example of the latest copy sold in the marketplace.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@jeranimal congrats with the sale. Saw that you listed it on multiple Forums so good for you that you managed the sale. That is what we all wish to achieve when we list something for sale. Hope the delivery goes well as well.

Now when the sale has happend maybe moderator should just close this thread
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka

Yes, please.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed, I simply posted it as an example of the latest copy sold in the marketplace.

You posted a photo of a conserved 2.5, not a universal (i.e., unconserved, unrestored and unqualified) 2.5 like the one that the OP posted for sale. Apples and oranges.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
@jeranimal congrats with the sale. Saw that you listed it on multiple Forums so good for you that you managed the sale. That is what we all wish to achieve when we list something for sale. Hope the delivery goes well as well.

To the mods: close the thread, but make it a sticky post so CBCS forum members see a clear example of thread-krapping in a for sale listing.

Also to the mods: please, please, please issue an anti-thread-krapping rule that results in the issuance of a warning/strike!
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You posted a photo of a conserved 2.5, not a universal (i.e., unconserved, unrestored and unqualified) 2.5 like the one that the OP posted for sale. Apples and oranges.

Bingo.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
thread crapping
v. Thread crapping occurs when a person comes into a thread and posts something contrary to the spirit/intent of the thread, often derailing the discussion or turning it into an argument.

Hummm, kind of like what you're doing there Mr Hypocrite? If you don't like a persons post, ignore it! Go pick a fight with another school kid.

You still do not understand.

I did not threadkrap this thread, at all.

You certainly did.

If you cannot understand this, I have no interest in devoting my time towards discussing this any further.

My final comments are as follows:

Congrads to the seller and the buyer.

A mod should close this thread.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Dude, seriously, let it go. As stated, I simply posted it as an example of the latest copy sold in the marketplace. It's all good.
Post 55 IP   flag post
598061 55 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.