Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeGrading Help NeededMovies TelevisionPop CultureQuestions

CGC says "GOOD MORTY" is 1st appearance now.4564

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
It doesn't make sense to me that an amazon seller, or any seller, from almost a year ago would have a fake booklet in a dvd set that no one knew was a first appearance or worth anything - so why fake a insert booklet? This looks legit. It does not feel like copy paper, does not look like it was cut by a paper cutter, and the ink and colors all look the same. Does not appear to be a fake booklet. This is all whackity whack yo
Post 176 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer

Also of note, the price on this book has CRASHED following the news of fakes on the market. It was selling at an easy $250, now under $100. Very interested to see what a graded one gets now, I wouldnt buy one otherwise for fear of getting boned on a fake

Not trying to undermine @shrewbeer, but one sold for $100 because it was damaged. All the others are going for $200+ still. Just so everyone knows.
Post 177 IP   flag post
You can also see the floor under the sofa on mine, which is off from the one with no feet if you place the two images side by side.....
Post 178 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I count 5 since friday under $200, all double-staple books.

Several single staples sold earlier in the week for far more
Post 179 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
It doesn't make sense to me that an amazon seller, or any seller, from almost a year ago would have a fake booklet in a dvd set that no one knew was a first appearance or worth anything - so why fake a insert booklet? This looks legit. It does not feel like copy paper, does not look like it was cut by a paper cutter, and the ink and colors all look the same. Does not appear to be a fake booklet. This is all whackity whack yo

Right. Low cost printing techniques would be quite obvious (Kinko's, etc) and using proper equipment is not cheap. It's why earlier fakes are generally so easy to spot. Since there was no financial motive to make these, it doesn't make sense that people would fake them just to be absolutely "authentic" with their bootlegs.

I think there's much more to this than meets the eyes. Anyone contact Oni yet?
Post 180 IP   flag post

I agree with DocBrown. WHAT'S HAPPENING RIGHT MEOW? I JUST AGREED WITH DOC BROWN?! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Post 181 IP   flag post
Dogs AND cats. Living.

TOGETHER.
Post 182 IP   flag post
The people to contact would be Morty Publications, Inc. or Justin Roiland and Dan Harmon.
Post 183 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
It really doesnt make any sense at all that they would insert real comics into fake DVDs lol... Especially given that we have yet to see a single-staple book come out of a fake case, but have seen the doubles do so.

Unless someone working at the print factory managed to make a run for themselves off-hours or a few big boxes of them "fell off the back of a truck". Lol chicken or egg, that could have given someone shady the motivation to make the fakes.

** We have yet to hear from anyone who has compared a real one to one that came out of a fake box.... they could be more different than just the staples
Post 184 IP   flag post
Quote:
The people to contact would be Morty Publications, Inc. or Justin Roiland and Dan Harmon.

Not sure if you're being serious, but "Morty Publications, Inc." isn't a real company. It's a parody of "Chick Publications", the people who publish the "real" tracts. I suspect it was published by Oni, but contacting the writers is also a good idea.
Post 185 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:

Not sure if you're being serious, but "Morty Publications, Inc." isn't a real company. It's a parody of "Chick Publications", the people who publish the "real" tracts. I suspect it was published by Oni, but contacting the writers is also a good idea.

I am kinda serious, as I am going by the copyright info on the back of the booklet. Since it was 2014, they, in theory, could have gotten a separate legal foundation while printing those off since it was almost a year before Oni Press produced the comic book. It's a good question at any rate.

I did DM Justin Roiland on twitter. I won't hold my breath though - he's on a mad quest for a keytar right meow. Seriously.
Post 186 IP   flag post
I am considering driving around the entire city today and going to all half priced books to search for a real one on the secondary tier market. I suggest others do the same. Let's do this!

Then, we can compare mine with supposed real ones. Right?
Post 187 IP   flag post
One last final thing: we know some have the booklet , some don't. So, what's the motivation to make a fake booklet to go inside your fake dvd sets? Just simply don't include the booklet and no one suspects anything, right? It just doesn't make sense to produce the fake booklet at that time when no one suspected it was the true first appearance yet.
Post 188 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
It really doesnt make any sense at all that they would insert real comics into fake DVDs lol... Especially given that we have yet to see a single-staple book come out of a fake case, but have seen the doubles do so.

Unless someone working at the print factory managed to make a run for themselves off-hours or a few big boxes of them "fell off the back of a truck". Lol chicken or egg, that could have given someone shady the motivation to make the fakes.

** We have yet to hear from anyone who has compared a real one to one that came out of a fake box.... they could be more different than just the staples

It makes even less sense that they...whoever "they" are...would go to the expense and effort to professionally print "fake" copies of this book. Bootleg DVDs, not difficult. Bootleg comics, much more so.

No one at the "print factory" would have made a run for themselves off-hours, because R&M wasn't a cultural "thing" when this was made, and the first issue was a year in the future. As sci-fi intriguing as it is to imagine surreptitious printing going on after hours, the reality is much more boring. That's a good way to lose your job on the spot. Impossible, no. So unlikely as to be completely improbable, yes.

Didn't Jimmy Linguini compare multiple copies?
Post 189 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I am considering driving around the entire city today and going to all half priced books to search for a real one on the secondary tier market. I suggest others do the same. Let's do this!

Then, we can compare mine with supposed real ones. Right?

i have the one with 1 staples i bought last week, am sure it real. i dont think that the ones with 2 staples are fake. just how they where done, so if you find one at and old book store and has 2 staples then its real, as i dont see how a fake one would get in there.

Post 190 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
It makes even less sense that someone would've bought several of the legitimate sets to take all the books out, only to place them into their bootleg sets.

Some of these bootleg operations ( especially out of Hong Kong ) are fronts for organized crime related businesses. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they're also printing the booklets and that they don't look like they came off a copier at Kinkos.
Post 191 IP   flag post
I almost agree with Logan yet I have a lot of bootleg NECA ninja turtle figures....the devil is in the details. it's easy to spot bootleg fakes.
Post 192 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
It makes even less sense that someone would've bought several of the legitimate sets to take all the books out, only to place them into their bootleg sets.

True, which is probably why no one's suggested this.

Quote:
Some of these bootleg operations ( especially out of Hong Kong ) are fronts for organized crime related businesses. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they're also printing the booklets and that they don't look like they came off a copier at Kinkos.

Soooo....the bootleg DVDs, which look obviously fake, like most bootlegs do, are supposedly manufactured by the same people that put time and expense into printing completely authentic looking Good Mortys...? Just for that "added touch of authenticity" to fool all the people buying R&M DVDs, most of whom wouldn't have cared about "Good Morty", and would likely have thrown them out, if they thought about them at all...?

Interesting theory!
Post 193 IP   flag post
Quote:
I almost agree with Logan yet I have a lot of bootleg NECA ninja turtle figures....the devil is in the details. it's easy to spot bootleg fakes.

Occam's Razor at work, here.
Post 194 IP   flag post
Quote:

I agree that most of the bootlegs I've seen look fake, but I've also seen some that would fool almost anyone. Just sayin'.
Post 195 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Occam's Razor at work, here.

With the logic of Occam's, my booklet is real then.
Post 196 IP   flag post
i had to google Occam's Razor thank you
Post 197 IP   flag post
Also, people who haven't seen a legit Good Morty directly compared to a fake one shouldn't be making assumptions on how good the fakes may or may not look. Just sayin'.
Post 198 IP   flag post
So there's no misunderstanding: it makes sense to fake them NOW. It didn't make any sense to fake them before, say, two weeks ago? Making authentic looking printed fakes is still difficult AND expensive. That's one of the things that has saved comics and cards from being prey to counterfeiters, generally.

If you scan the art, you're going to have 2nd and later generation digital decay. Even photoshop doesn't fix that much. This is what did in fakes such as CFD #1.

If you completely redraw the art, you're going to make mistakes.

The Cerebus fakes were so convincing because, according to Sim, the people making them had access to the printer (Preney Print & Litho) and the original art.

But they still made several obvious mistakes, apparently not having an authentic #1 in front of them, or caring about it.

People have even tried to counterfeit X-Men #94 and other books, and CGC has caught them.

Are there fakes out there that fool everyone? Probably. After all, if they fool everyone, no one knows they exist except the ones who made them.

But...Good Morty...? What's possible, and what's likely, are entirely different things.

If they're fake, they're fake. I'm not saying there aren't fakes. I'm just saying "hold the phone, folks, don't jump to conclusions just yet. More research is necessary."
Post 199 IP   flag post
Quote:
Also, people who haven't seen a legit Good Morty directly compared to a fake one shouldn't be making assumptions on how good the fakes may or may not look. Just sayin'.

Of course. I don't think anyone would disagree with this, nor has anyone done this.

But do you see the assumption you made, cautioning people not to make assumptions...? "to a fake one."

That's an assumption. Nobody knows for sure if there are "fake" ones yet. If you'd said a "presumed fake one", that would be different.
Post 200 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
To add to the conspiracy. Do you think the people who bootlegged all of these Good Morty books were also the ones to lobby CGC to change their stance on the 1st Appearance? Was it an inside job?? Omg.
Post 201 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
To add to the conspiracy. Do you think the people who bootlegged all of these Good Morty books were also the ones to lobby CGC to change their stance on the 1st Appearance? Was it an inside job?? Omg.

wow, now where really reaching out there ,lol
Post 202 IP   flag post
Collector 1243782365 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Right. Low cost printing techniques would be quite obvious (Kinko's, etc) and using proper equipment is not cheap. It's why earlier fakes are generally so easy to spot. Since there was no financial motive to make these, it doesn't make sense that people would fake them just to be absolutely "authentic" with their bootlegs.

Oni had nothing to do with the booklet.
Post 203 IP   flag post
Collector joephizz private msg quote post Address this user
Just to add to this...

I'm from the UK and recently bought a shrink-wrapped season 1 and 2 on dvd, imported from the US at some point and it had a two staple version. Season 2 also had the Plumbus manual.

The cardboard cases, slip covers and dvds were all printed and seem like high quality, along with the Good Morty and Plumbus booklets too.

Obviously I have no idea whether or not they're fake (same as everyone else) but it does seem like a hell of a lot of effort to go to for something that retails for around £15 each.
Post 204 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmylinguini
Quote:
Quote:

Oni had nothing to do with the booklet.

Pursue all leads. Just because they had nothing to do with it does not mean no one there knows anything about it.
Post 205 IP   flag post
597958 498 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.