Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeGrading Help NeededMovies TelevisionPop CultureQuestions

CGC says "GOOD MORTY" is 1st appearance now.4564

Collector recombine private msg quote post Address this user
What the hell does it matter if I have a couple posts LMAO what does that make me a newbie with zero knowledge now? I've been collecting for over 30 years dude. Not trolling at all. You're all in a huff that something's fake because what, one guy goes on a rant on youtube with no direct evidence to show of the book in question? And yeah photos can "lie". Depends what resolution and image program you're using.

Sheesh you're paranoid IntoAnother.
Post 476 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
There are probably 50k copies of dvds/blurays on first printings. It's not far fetched there are over 10k of the mini comics printed.

Very true.
Post 477 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
@recombine It's true. You are new. I don't think @IntoAnother doubting your intelligence or experience. I'm curious - totally not accusatory - How did you first hear about this thread, the subject, or the investigation thereof?
Post 478 IP   flag post
Someone on ebay asked me a question about The Good Morty books I'm selling and wanted to see the Season 1 DVD box inside and out so he said that he could decide if it was a fake or not. He referred me to this forum and some other threads. Also I'm on others like CGC and whatnot but I'm not really a poster unless it comes to controversy over something like this with a book I have lol.
Post 479 IP   flag post
For me all bets are off until someone who was actually involved in printing and distributing these in 2014 speaks up to clarify this mess.
Post 480 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I'm looking forward to the CGC and CBCS opinions on this, especially the double staple books coming out of the legit-looking DVD cases. I'm still thinking they are a second printing.

As far as I'm concerned, the only ones we know are real first prints for sure are the single staple ones with morty having light skin, that came out of the Bluray boxes with Digital UV. And thats just because the creators posted enough evidence that matches those.
Post 481 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by recombine
Someone on ebay asked me a question about the books I'm selling and wanted to see the DVD box and inside so he said that he could decide if it was a fake or not. He referred me to the forum. Also I'm on others like CGC and whatnot but I'm not really a poster unless it comes to controversy over something like this lol.

Very cool. That's what I wanted to hear. Good job.
Post 482 IP   flag post
Well in just the last 2 weeks, over 30 of them have sold on ebay under "SOLD" tab , completed listings. Many were best offer, but most were over $150-$200. Incredible.

So in just these 2 weeks, 30 sold. Crazy.

When I get my other ones next week, I'll be comparing them very closely.
Post 483 IP   flag post
But that's the Blu-Ray and not the DVD which also contained the books. And yes it could be a different printing with the ones included with the latter release. But then again it could have been done at a different time. That doesn't mean something's fake. If I saw blurry printing or the dots clumping together or fading or washed out spots in the solid black parts of the book that would scream xerox.

But anyway back to what I said let's hear it from the horse's mouth.
Post 484 IP   flag post
Collector IntoAnother private msg quote post Address this user
I’m not going to blindly take what anyone is saying, especially someone who has copies I see as possibly being fake.

People are going to be buying sets like the ones I have off eBay with no care that they may be fake because they just want to sell them for a maximum profit.

So yeah, I’m fully expecting the trolls to come out for this book. I’m just being a bit guarded is all, it’s not personal.
Post 485 IP   flag post
DVDs contained the comic books.
Post 486 IP   flag post
Understood IntoAnother
Post 487 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by recombine
For me all bets are off until someone who was actually involved in printing and distributing these in 2014 speaks up to clarify this mess.

None of us have the ability to contact such a person.
Post 488 IP   flag post
Side note, is it possible to find out the initial run numbers?

I’m not sure if the DVD/Blu Ray world track those numbers, or make them public anyway but it would be awesome to know.
Post 489 IP   flag post
I've been trying. For weeks. It's all just dvd duplication search strings. uggggggghhhhh
Post 490 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoAnother
Counterfeiting is a MASSIVE business. I see no reason why they wouldn’t go to the trouble of making The Good Morty once they saw it in the original release.

You may be a graphic artist but you’re currently on a comic site with only a couple posts attempting to prove a book many believe to be be fake as real.

Trolls gonna troll and all. Nothing personal, I’m just a bit of a skeptic.

They wouldn't go to the trouble of making Good Morty because it's much more difficult and expensive to fake printed materials like this than it is to bootleg DVDs.

Again, I will point to the very low quality of just about every bootleg DVD...because all that matters for bootlegs is that they WORK...and ask why anyone would go to the trouble and expense of counterfeiting Good Mortys that are of good enough quality to pass as legit in the first place. That is, they're not "obviously" counterfeit.

It's not easy, and doesn't make sense before last week.

Remember: when counterfeiting printed material, "high quality" isn't good enough. The counterfeits of Cerebus #1, TMNT #1 and #2, CFD #1, X-Men #94, etc, had to be PERFECT, and that they were not was what led to their exposure. They have to be PERFECT matches to fool the target. They can't just be "good enough."

The aim of the bootlegger is that the product WORKS. The aim of the counterfeiter is that the product FOOLS. Those are different aims.
Post 491 IP   flag post
@DocBrown you keep arguing that nobody would go through the trouble of printing these, yet ignoring the fact that someone DID go through the trouble of printing high quality slipcases and the inside cover.

What's the difference that makes it so difficult that they would likely not do so? Staples? The slipcase involves glue and precise bends, I would argue that its even more difficult to produce one of those.
Post 492 IP   flag post
@DocBrown

I sincerely hope you are right Doc.

That would be a huge relief but I have strong doubts.
Post 493 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Well in just the last 2 weeks, over 30 of them have sold on ebay under "SOLD" tab , completed listings. Many were best offer, but most were over $150-$200. Incredible.

So in just these 2 weeks, 30 sold. Crazy.

When I get my other ones next week, I'll be comparing them very closely.

The interesting thing is, there's not a single listing on eBay for Good Morty by itself until this one from October 9:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-GOOD-MORTY-Mini-Comic-1st-Appearance-of-RICK-AND-MORTY-1-1st-Edition-/142531955691?hash=item212f910beb:g:FnYAAOSwoF1Z2cRd

The limits of eBay's search function are frustrating, but when I first did this search a week ago, it went back to August, and there was nothing until Oct 9.
Post 494 IP   flag post
Here’s something to take into consideration.

The majority of times I purchase a used video game from Game Stop is does not have the manual. It’s not in the place designed for it to be held.

Yet I’m buying used DVD sets of a series that has rabid fans and they all still have mini comics and manuals in them that just fall out when you open the cases.

Odd no?

Sure stranger things have happened but to me that’s a red flag.
Post 495 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
@DocBrown you keep arguing that nobody would go through the trouble of printing these, yet ignoring the fact that someone DID go through the trouble of printing high quality slipcases and the inside cover.

What's the difference that makes it so difficult that they would likely not do so? Staples? The slipcase involves glue and precise bends, I would argue that its even more difficult to produce one of those.

Hey...SB...tone it down a bit, huh? No need for the aggressive language. No one's "ignoring" anything; I don't see the "high quality" slipcases and inside cover that you're referring to. What is "high quality" is subjective; the difference between genuine and "low quality" reproduction is much easier to spot.

I've already explained why printing pamphlets is much harder than printing "slipcases", and several people have shown the clear difference in quality between the "real" slipcase and the "fake"...and I use quotes because I'm not even convinced that's the case with those, either.

What I'm "arguing" is to hold the phone and not rush to judgment. Is that such an unreasonable thing to say?
Post 496 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoAnother
Here’s something to take into consideration.

The majority of times I purchase a used video game from Game Stop is does not have the manual. It’s not in the place designed for it to be held.

Yet I’m buying used DVD sets of a series that has rabid fans and they all still have mini comics and manuals in them that just fall out when you open the cases.

Odd no?

Sure stranger things have happened but to me that’s a red flag.

Sure, but that's anecdotal. Anecdotal evidence has value, but it's not proof.

How many have you bought? What percentage of those had a Good Morty? Where did you buy them? When did you buy them?

More importantly, before October 9, what would be the motive for someone to go to the CONSIDERABLE EFFORT of printing up counterfeit copies of this pamphlet/tract/mini comic (it's properly called a tract)...? That has to be explained, and not just "because they wanted to make it look authentic."

Bootleggers don't care about "authentic", which is why they almost universally look fake.

Counterfeiters, on the other hand, DO want items to look as close as possible to the real thing. But counterfeiters have a clear motive: the real thing is worth counterfeiting.

A throwaway insert in a DVD was NOT worth counterfeiting before Oct 9, and all these tracts did NOT get produced in the last two weeks. Counterfeits can't be "high quality" or "good enough" and fool the target audience. They have to be PERFECT. And it is that imperfection which undoes them all.

No one has argued "they are all likely real." No one has made that argument, ever, at all. What people are arguing is that there needs to be proof before a conclusion can be reached. And right now, there is only conjecture. There's nothing wrong with conjecture...it's the motive to find proof...but to distort and misrepresent what people are "arguing" is a disservice to everyone in the discussion.
Post 497 IP   flag post
Sorry I dont see the aggressive language, you may be taking things a bit too personal.

I just dont see the point of the same "they are all likely real" argument over and over again. Nobody has shown any pixelation or printing quality difference between the two slipcases, nor the cover insert yet; only that certain pieces are either there or not (feet, UV text).

My point is, the argument that they are real based on printing quality being "too difficult" falls apart when taking into consideration items that they did print and produce in high quality.

Unless now we want to assume everything is real except the plastic parts 🙄...
Post 498 IP   flag post
601294 498 23
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.