Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Silver AgeSignatures

CBCS Graded X-men #1 SS Stan Lee, 99 Cents!4528

Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@KingNampa i bumped ur x-men across the $3k. it is an unusual time to end an auction. hope it works out
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Bump xmen ends in 1 hour. Someone about to get it cheap for $3.1k. Has been going for $4k+

Post 27 IP   flag post
ALoha! Got some great comics ending in 1 hour or less!
All are currently going for less than GPA!! This is your chance to get them cheap!

-X-men #1 4.5 CBCS (SS Stan Lee): Currently at $3.1k
-Defenders #1 9.0 CBCS: Currently at $113
-Marvel Feature #1 7.5 CBCS: Currently at $72
-Amazing Spiderman 122 8.5 CGC: Currently at $214
-Image Blind box 17 comic set Raw: Currently at $15.50
Post 28 IP   flag post
X-men #1 Just sold for $3550. Wow someone saved $500 off GPA.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@KingNampa this is what I meant by unusual time. Not sure it was a great idea ending an auction on a Sunday morning for this type of item. Hope you are ok.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Oh well. Too late now.
Post 31 IP   flag post
@KingNampa well u should still have for a few socks and beers
Post 32 IP   flag post
@poka Yes sir, lol. Going to order a crate of socks tomorrow.
Post 33 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Instead of starting a new thread I will post my eBay rant here. After going 0 for 10 in tonight's auctions I will just say again how much I hate eBay's sniping auction model and how much I prefer Comic Connect where a new bid will reset the clock at 3 minutes.

GLWTS!
Post 34 IP   flag post
Well CC's model is in favour of sellers, whereas eBay's is in favour of buyers. Did you expect anything else?
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
@KingNampa this is what I meant by unusual time. Not sure it was a great idea ending an auction on a Sunday morning for this type of item. Hope you are ok.

Yeah, the ideal ending time for auctions is around ballparks between 9-10 PM Eastern.

Friday or Saturday nights are traditionally the times, when bidding is at it's peak.

Sunday morning is better than a weekday morning, considering the 40 hour work week hours.
I think 7 day auctions, starting at 9:45PM Eastern on a Friday or Saturday night, or either 10 day auctions, started on a Tuesday or Wednesday night,timed to end at 9:45 Eastern on the following Friday/Saturday evening, is ideal.

Or just set a 30 day BIN, at a $100-$200 or so above the combined 90 day average of GPA and GoCollect, , dunno what that would be but $4100 + the cost of insured, authorized buyer signature only via fed ex priority ,which would be close to $100 itself....
No best offer option given and it will likely get hit soon enough.

Getting $3550 gross pop up in your PayPal account on a Sunday, is certainly nothing to shake a stick at, though. 😊
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
X-men #1 Just sold for $3550. Wow someone saved $500 off GPA.

For a bit of perspective, read this article.

An unexpected $500 is more than most Americans can handle, without going into debt.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/476415/
Post 37 IP   flag post
Here is a copy and paste highlight from another article on what $500 means to most Anericans, quoted below.

References, and a bit more of my unsolicited opion...but nevertheless, my opinion is nothing other than concrete fact (in this instance).... are below this copy and pasted text, in bold type set.

"
Americans who earn more than $75,000 per year -- about a third more than the typical U.S. household earns -- report more savings on hand, although almost half said they wouldn’t be able to cover a $500 surprise expense. Millennials represent the generation most equipped to handle an emergency cost, with 47 percent saying they have enough in savings to cover one.

The findings echo research published last year by the Federal Reserve, which polled more than 5,600 Americans on their household finances. Forty-six percent of respondents said they would be challenged to come up with $400 to cover an emergency expense, and would likely borrow or sell something to afford it. When the Fed asked what types of emergency expenses Americans had actually faced in the last year, more than one out of five cited a major unexpected medical expense. The average expense: $2,782, or almost seven times higher than the Fed’s hypothetical $400 surprise bill.
"

Note that study linked by the Federal Reserve, linked in the article, here is the link to the copy and pasted text from said report.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/most-americans-cant-afford-a-500-emergency-expense/
Post 38 IP   flag post
I bought this couple years back for $2500 + grading, pressing & Stan Fees. So a little above even I guess. Honestly the reason I'm selling it is my loss of confidence in CBCS to sustain long term. I don't want any high value comics in CBCS case anymore, too much risk. Can't transfer a CBCS SS back to CGC because of green label so only choice is to sell.
Post 39 IP   flag post
You would have gotten considerably more money for this slab, had you timed the auction to end at a time when it is statistically proven to yield higher closing bids.

That was your error.

You also would have gotten more money, across the board, if your other CBCS slabs...and your plain old raws, were timed to end at optimal bidding periods, as I noted.

Or if you stuck to reasonable Buy It Now prices, on all of your items, across the board.

It is in poor form to cast doubt on CBCS, as you did, in your last post.

You dropped the ball, not CBCS.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
You would have gotten considerably more money for this slab, had you timed the auction to end at a time when it is statistically proven to yield higher closing bids.

That was your error.

You also would have gotten more money, across the board, if your other CBCS slabs...and your plain old raws, were timed to end at optimal bidding periods, as I noted.

Or if you stuck to reasonable Buy It Now prices, on all of your items, across the board.

It is in poor form to cast doubt on CBCS, as you did, in your last post.

You dropped the ball, not CBCS.

Agreed, mostly. There's certainly a market stigma about CBCS comics, still. Now, whether that stigma translates into 15% is hard to say.

If you have two "identical" books ending at the same time, one CGC, the other CBCS, the CBCS is going to sell for less, 9 times out of 10. That's just the way the market is for now.

It's the same with PCGS and NGC. PCGS coins sell for a slight premium, just because they were first.
Post 41 IP   flag post
DocBrown, I fully agree with your post.
Post 42 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user

Post 44 IP   flag post
@CopperAgeKids Not blaming anyone for the sale price, I'M fine with it. I was explaining my reasoning for why I put it up for sale in the first place. Based on my opinion of the long term viability of CBCS as a company. Just like the stocks I buy, I make long term decisions.
Post 45 IP   flag post
@DocBrown Agree with you Doc! Theoretically if this ended later in the day, maybe would get a couple hundred more for it. Hard to say. It was heavily advertised for 10 days, anyone who wanted it already set their bids. Not like a cheaper item that someone might flippantly decide to bid on at the last second. I'm good with where it sold. The other ones I got for cheap back in the day so profit on those.
Post 46 IP   flag post
To expand on that last post of mine past beyond just a skimpy "agreed"....my point was it is best to promote positivity towards CBCS, as well as CGC.

We all want market confidence for BOTH companies to equally grow.

Or at least those of us that understand what is best for the graded market as a whole, want this.

Slighting CBCS with remarks like " I no longer have confidence in CBCS's long term viability", per King Mama's comment only serves to hurt the overall 3rd party graded market (which consists of only CBCS and CGC).

PGX obviously is not worth a damn, we all know that, so I do not include PGX, Halo or any other inferior 3rd party firms, as part of the legitimate 3rd party graded market.

The legitimate 3rd party market consists solely of CBCS and CGC.

Anyone can look at CBCS's core grading team...they are all former CGC graders. That speaks for itself.

If we want continued growth of the 3rd party graded market, slighting CBCS , as King Nampa did, is counter productive to the overall health of the graded market.

CBCS and CGC directly compete with one another, for their share of the market.

Competition, on a level playing field, improves the market by leaps and bounds.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt demonstrated this by abolishing monopolies during his tenure as our President, this is historical fact.

The same theory of even handed competition applies to the third party grading market.

This completion, on a even playing field, between CBCS and CGC inherently forces both companies to improve their services while removing the ability to price gouge consumers.

The net result is a stronger overall market.

This is why I have always supported both CBCS and CGC.

Anyone can look up my posts on CGC's Forum, from around 5/16-9/16, discounting the original "New CGC 4/4/16 thread, or the surrounding time period, pretty sure that new case thread was deleted by CGC mods.

I supported CGC strongly, in dozens of posts I made, on CGC's forum, back than.

Likewise, I supported CBCS strongly when they first opened for business.

I also supported the iherently flawed argument that CBCS detractors, put forth recently about questioning security concerns with CBCS slabs.

TonyStarks, , along with DocBrown and a handful of others, was one of the handful of rational posters in the thread started by KaptainMyke , who pointed out such an issue had been in play since CGC opened for business.

He posted up a few paragraphs explaining his position, with supporting pictures of CGC Generation 1 and 2 holders, and was met with one liner "so what?" sort of responses.

I also strongly supported CBCS , when they introduced their "ugly bullet point or rivit point" holder, whatever it was termed by CBCS and CGC collectors, (the 2nd generation CGC holder).

I was called a "CGC cheerleader/kook aid drinker" by other CGC boardies, when I made supporting posts on CGC's forum, when I argued against inflammatory posts that slighted CGC.

Similiarly, while I was posting p
non-imflammatory comments regarding CBCS's bullet point holder case last year..and the more "security issue" that was started by a CBCS poster....subsequently, KaptainMyke put a blow torch towards CBCS, while he was under informed, to begin with, regarding CBCS cases....I was called a "CBCS cheerleader", or something along those lines.

Moving on to to the present, because I have strayed off topic in the paragraphs I wrote after this sentence:

This is why I have always supported both CBCS and CGC.

In summation:

Supporting both CBCS and CGC is what will ensure that both companies continue to improve their product.

A level playing field encourages overall market growth, by the invisible hand of the market.

Ultimately , this net effect is what will ensure long term sustainability, as well as continued growth, of the graded comic market, as a whole
Post 47 IP   flag post
@CopperAgeKids Trying to digest your diatribe. What is the reason for the summary of all the times you agreed and disagreed with opinions, etc? Are you applying for something with this resume? Are you hoping the mods read this and give you brownie points? Drink more, talk less, cheers.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Quote:
@CopperAgeKids Trying to digest your diatribe. What is the reason for the summary of all the times you agreed and disagreed with opinions, etc? Are you applying for something with this resume? Are you hoping the mods read this and give you brownie points? Drink more, talk less, cheers.

I am applying what I posted, towards benefitting the third party graded market, as a whole.

I already summarized my points, thete is no point in rehashing everything I posted above.

You are free to agree,or disagree, with what I have summarized.

But asking me to give out bulletin points, when I have already articulated my thoughts in summarized form, is a bit too much.

Cheers.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
The last six CGC 4.5's sold for 3725, 3550, 3399, 3650, 3350, 3444. Your copy was signed by Stan and I fully understand you paid extra for his signature. However many collectors and dealers would not agree that his signature should be worth any type of premium, and may even not bid on the book because of it. So if you remove the idea that a Stan Lee signature should command a premium of around $500.00, your left with essentially full market value of a non signed copy in 4.5. To add in its CBCS instead of CGC, plus you made the decision to run a no reserve auction ending on a Sunday morning. I feel it ended at very close to full retail for a 4.5 X-Men 1.
Post 50 IP   flag post
@Homer Ya I agree. Also I didn't mention this before I had a promo from ebay. Sell 10 items with NO Final Value Fees. So I sold that X-men with ZERO ebay fees.

Theoretically, if I sold it for $4k. The ebay+paypal fees would have been $520 on a normal ebay sale, $3480 net.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
No final value fee on a big book, that’s great timing to sell during that promotion.
Post 52 IP   flag post
@Homer Looks like this, wasn't an email but at the bottom of myebay, had to accept it that way.
Had to list by 10/12. Anything of that group sold is Zero Fees.

Post 53 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Bump xmen ends in 1 hour. Someone about to get it cheap for $3.1k. Has been going for $4k+

Anyone know why I can't find either of these on gocollect?
Post 54 IP   flag post
Are they recorded in GPA?

I can check, if you haven't already looked them up in GPA.

If they are not recorded in GPA or GC, that generally means the top bidder on the auction, and the buy it now listing, did not PAY for the books.
Post 55 IP   flag post
601333 81 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.