Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeMovies TelevisionMovies TelevisionPop CultureQuestions

The Gifted4513

COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
The premiere episode of Matt Nix and Fox's "The Gifted" aired last night (10/02/17).

It's gotten some decent reviews from the likes of THR, Variety, etc. It's a nice adjunct to the live action X-Men world.

Did you see it? What'd you think?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Sirtoddington private msg quote post Address this user
Well..... i know THIS guy showed up during the episode! & Really.... Isn't this all we needed?? lol.

Post 2 IP   flag post
@sirtoddington True!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
Certainly better than Inhumans. Pilot episodes are generally not as good as the rest of the show will be. I'll keep watching at least a few more episodes to see how it progresses. Overall, I did like it.

Best part for me was when one of the mutant characters got a phone call and his ring tone was the intro song to the old animated X-Men TV show.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
How does it compare to LEGION
Post 5 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke No comparison. Legion is far superior. But to be fair, they can't do things on network TV that they can do on cable TV or especially on premium cable channels like HBO. So it's not really fair to compare something on network to a cable channel like FX. Also not too fair to compare Gifted on just one episode to a show that has a completed season.

I think Legion is one of the best shows of 2017 of any kind. Certainly top ten, probably top five.
Post 6 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Reminds me of Mutant X.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I do like Amy Acker.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
I'll give it a thumb up....
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector VictorCreed private msg quote post Address this user
Much better than Inhumans. I like seeing some of the original new mutants and exiles characters on screen, with them being messed up too much.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I do like Amy Acker.

+1 on this. But I would her rather see her like the character she played on Person of Interest than a how she was on the first episode. Hopefully she'll evolve, but I doubt it.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
I enjoyed it...."after the X-Men disappeared"......???

Anyone want to try to fit this into a timeline that is currently or was active in the comics?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
I enjoyed it...."after the X-Men disappeared"......???

Anyone want to try to fit this into a timeline that is currently or was active in the comics?

I'm pretty certain they are talking about the events mentioned in Logan when Prof. X accidentally killed all the X-Men from his seizures?
Post 13 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Good opinions and viewpoints on the series. Thanks, guys!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Interesting factoid: They chose to use a mutant that Geoff Johns created

SHATTER
Post 15 IP   flag post
I quit watching it about 15 minutes into the second episode. I feel like I have seen this same show a dozen times. Nothing new here.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I agree. It seemed to rehash stuff we've seen before. Just new faces.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I haven't watched it yet but Marvel gave me a poster and let me get it signed by most of the cast at NYCC on Sunday.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user

this is from movie time line

X-Men: First Class (primarily 1962)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
X-Men: Apocalypse (1980s)
X-Men
X2: X-Men United
X-Men: The Last Stand
The Wolverine (2013)

the Gifted (2017) takes place here

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2021 i believe) (largely 1973)

so this would be 2nd and would erase most of the time line.

http://xmenmovies.wikia.com/wiki/File:X-Men-Days-Of-Future-Past-Movie-Timeline-Infographic-DOFP.jpg
Post 19 IP   flag post
I believe DOFP reset the timeline. & also..... Logan I believe takes place around the same year that DOFP takes place in during the future. I'm pretty sure Gifted is AFTER the events where Prof. X had his seizure & killed all the X-Men? They never mentioned it but it seamed to have mentioned/alluded to the fact the X-men were gone?
Post 20 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
While the show takes place in a post X-Men world, there isn’t necessarily a specific timeline (if any) that it fits into yet.

Sure you can say that it fits in before Days of Future Past timeline with Sentinel Services preceeding the rise of actual sentinels but it could also be pre-Logan, or it can be something entirely separate, as described by the show’s creator:

“One of the great favors that Days of Future Past did for all of us is establish that there are many streams,” “One answer is that we exist in one of those streams. This is its own universe, we don’t exist in the same timeline as any specific movie or comics. But there are shared characters. We’re doing our own thing, and, as I say, there are many streams.”

Even he seems non-commital and it seems the basic approach to X-Men material seems to be less about strict continuity and more about creative freedom to play in a universe populated by mutants.
Post 21 IP   flag post
It would seem that DOFP reset the time line and this show takes place in the near future (early 2020s), after the incident and before the creation of the corn syrup. There are some parallels in the first couple of episodes such as reference to the "Westchester Incident" and the mutants' desire to reach Mexico. I'd argue that DOFP wiped out the prior Sentinel program and we're left with these spider bots

That said, here is something that Stephen Moyer said;

“But in terms of timeline, because obviously we just had Logan which was a lot further forward and obviously Legion which is a lot further back. So, we definitely slot into a timeline, but as of yet, we’re not allied. I think they have given themselves a lot of leeway in order to be able to go places, but we’ve enough story within our universe to propel us forward without having to do that."
Post 22 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@JLS_Comics I saw the Moyer quote but I personally put more weight into the words of the showrunner than of the actors, who have less of a say in the direction the show takes
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@JLS_Comics I saw the Moyer quote but I personally put more weight into the words of the showrunner than of the actors, who have less of a say in the direction the show takes

I'm with you. I wasn't disagreeing with you just providing an additional quote. Plus, Nix and Moyer are saying relatively similar things in those two quotes.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
Still enjoying the show? I'm VERY happy with it a few episodes in. REALLY hoping they can keep the momentum going. All of the actors are doing a great job. Even if characters might not look the part (Polaris, for example), I think they may have the right energy for the role. Works for me as an X-Men "lifer".
Post 25 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I like it. Polaris is about to go full on Magneto.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I quit watching it. It felt like a retread of a million other shows just like it.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson But... but... but.... It's X-Related! Seems to be a lot better than so much other tv out there. Even if some of it may be a re-tread, the writing and dialogue are excellent, so I was sucked in. You can have a 100000% original idea wrapped in crap and it's still crap.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I'm not saying it's bad. It's just not something I want to watch. I feel like I've already seen it.
Post 29 IP   flag post
However, Lucifer, that comes on before it, is fantastic.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600633 35 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?