Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
MemorabiliaPop Culture

Rare MTG Cards Stolen In Campbell California4486

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not a Magic The Gathering player, but a very cool comic shop was robbed & that's what matters. This was posted on the "Heroes" Comic shops' Facebook page.

"A white male in his mid-20's came into the shop tonight, and stole 3 boxes of MTG boosters (one each Kaladesh, Aether Revolt, and Hour Of Devastation) and one binder of rare legacy cards. Attached is a photo of the blue Dodge Durango he and his accomplice were riding in. If you recognize the car, or have any information about the robbery, a reward is being offered. Contact us with any information. Please share this to all interested parties..let's take down a scumbag!!"

Here's the photo they included as well. If you recognize the vehicle, or hear of any suspicious characters selling rare MTG cards, here's their contact info.

Address:

24 East Campbell Ave.
Campbell, California

Phone #: (408) 378-3667
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like they have the plate of the car. Hopefully it will be open and shut.

And thanks again for the books and generosity, @00slim. You're a great person to deal with. Just awesome.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thanks, @jrs. It was a pleasure doing business with you.

As far as the plate is concerned, they're asking if anyone with Photoshop skills can clean it up?

Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
When I was a cop and we had a picture of a plate or face out of focus. We would take it to NASA, which has a place in Cleveland. They can do wonders with stuff like this.

Perhaps cops in California have a NASA facility there also. The victim of this crime, might also be able to just email the pic to any NASA facility. I never tried that though.
Post 4 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
No Photoshop. Completely broke. But I am looking online for anything readily available to be used on a website. So far, nothing. Any luck and/or updates?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Nothing solid. The latest update is from Thursday night:

"He also had a lizard plush toy (or so it appears) dangling from the rear bumper."

Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
That's probably his mom's car.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
It seems like the thing on top would be more noticeable.

Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
the dent is the key...those two things can be removed..plates probably stolen
Post 9 IP   flag post
What is that thing on top?
Post 10 IP   flag post
It looks like a woven basket material in the shape of a trunk.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
That nasty dent on the rear bumper is the identifying tattoo on that car imo
Post 12 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
So basically... We have both a dangling lizard and a nasty dent as key items in regards to this vehicle. And if what @KingNampa said is correct, we have one of two scenarios to work with:

1) Either culprit asked their mother to borrow said vehicle, claiming that the other needs help picking up something.

2) The other person was the mother, and was convinced her son needed helping picking up said order.

Which has me think that the vehicle in question will be spotted within ~50 miles, just outside a proximity where it may be easily recognized. Which means the culprit in question lives within the same distance, especially if the vehicle was borrowed.

In all cases, the safest bet is to look for CL and eBay listings. And ask any shops within that radius if they had anybody selling any Magic cards that match what was stolen.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Latest update from "Heores":

"We are working with local businesses, and may have a full plate number soon. We'll update you all if there are new developments."
Post 14 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Is everyone just going to ignore the dangling lizard?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Well, there's one for out of context.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@00slim Good to know. I'll see if I can find a way to track it once I know the license plate. I'm trying to stabilize an issue I deal with, while convincing myself to stay on this forum. Which is why I cannot make a "dangling lizard by a nasty dent" joke. Or have Bob Barker explain what I mean.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
Is that the highest resolution version of the photo you have? I'm playing around with sharpening the image and there's a LOT of motion in it... two factors working against it are the amount of motion and the low quality of the image. Figured I'd check to see if the second could be addressed, at least.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Unfortunately, it's all they have provided so far.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
Gotcha.... Figured it wouldn't hurt to check.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I used gamma correction and an automatic color correction tool with some freeware and decided I wasn't going to get any greater detail.
Post 21 IP   flag post
FYF 101 Does that read like a Ca. plate?
Post 22 IP   flag post
even with a partial..."f**-101"and the make...shouldnt they be able to get a good idea ? Or is that only in the movies
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
even with a partial..."f**-101"and the make...shouldnt they be able to get a good idea ? Or is that only in the movies

Yea, "they" can do it. But it would be some work and take some time. And this is just not that big a deal to the cops. So some nerds got their board game cards taken. Ha Ha, who the hell cares. Certainly not the cops. But they of course won't say that out loud.

They will make a report for insurance purposes and that is that. Even if you gave them the license plate number, it would matter little. Did you see the person take the cards? Can you recognize that person? Do you have him on film, actually taking the cards? Got a witness? Is there a serial number on the stolen cards? Did you write your name or SSN on these cards?

It is your word against the accused's word.

"Sure, I was there looking at some comics and stuff. But I don't know anything about any missing cards or whatever you said. Was it Pokémon cards?"

Good luck.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I wouldn't be surprised if this shop has cameras inside. They sell high end books (Amazing Fantasy 15, Fantastic Four 1, etc. are on the back wall frequently).

That's not to say I know they have the guy on camera stealing the cards, but it's very possible.
Post 25 IP   flag post
@00slim So we have the following:

- A vehicle that nobody in the area recognizes.
- A culprit that knew what was the easiest to steal, and best to sell.
- Features on the vehicle, which are also unrecognizable by the locals.
- No photos or video footage of the culprit.
- A member's use of sarcasm(?) that is not helpful, useful, and/or really needed.

Again, all I can say is that the culprit resides within a 50 mile radius. He (or she) has made random visits to the store, with at least a few scoping out the store's security. An he (or she) decided that the most expensive items that are hardest to trace, or just simply easiest to grab, were the Magic cards.

As for any local law enforcement not caring about trading card thefts does contradict reports like this one (click here). It is a 2015 news article on the fact that law enforcement have acted on a case, specifically because the 300 Magic: The Gathering cards stolen equaled out to being valued at $8,000. And since the binder is where the actual value is, they should be focusing on those. The insurance will help replace the rest.

And if you do hear from them, ask if they have contacted any collector shops within said 50 mile radius. I know it is a lot of work, but it might help them find a lead.

As for those choosing to be offended by anything I chose to hint at... Here is the original Kirk expressing anger at something.

Because I care more about justice when it comes to this. Especially after my experiences of being robbed.
Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Is that a Durango?
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
FYF 101 Does that read like a Ca. plate?

You are missing the first digit.

CA plates read....

Numeric # then three Alphabet letters and the three Numeric #s

?FYF101 is where we are at, I think?
Post 28 IP   flag post

Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
We need Deckard's photo enhancer for this one. See how it works its magic below.

Post 30 IP   flag post
601206 30 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?