Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedGrading Help Needed

The Future of Comic Grading4465

Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
IMO - if I am alive in 40 years, which I highly doubt - everything should be digital by then, so paper products will probably already be museum exhibits.

:o)
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
IMO - if I am alive in 40 years, which I highly doubt - everything should be digital by then, so paper products will probably already be museum exhibits.

:o)

If that could happen in, say, 10 years, I'd really appreciate it.

I'd like to complete a Detective run for less than $50,000,000.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshade
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by det_tobor
since the books are not in air tight SLABS for the gas they give off, would it help putting the whole slab in heavy plastic bags?

NO.

DO NOT DO THIS.

You could cause the slabs to sweat, if there's ANY moisture in the air combined with even mild heat, which is VERY, VERY bad.

Controlled humidity and controlled temps are the only solution.

Doc, really? I keep my CBCS slabs in their original plastic bags in the deluded idea that this will be for the better in at least protecting the slabs from scratches. I should take them out?

He said heavy plastic bags; by that I assume he means Ziploc or Hefty trash bags. The light plastic bags they ship with are fine, mainly because they're open at the top.

lmfao Dude we're on a comic book forum. I wouldnt assume trash bags akin to heavy plastic 🤣

Why not? People not familiar with comics and slabs, to whatever degree, have done weird things. It's cutting off a potential problem before it can happen. I'm not sure what being "on a comic book forum" has to do with the discussion...surely you don't think everyone who posts on such a forum knows everything about comics, do you...?

Quote:
btw CBCS ships their slabs with very light plastic bags (not trash bags mind you), that are self-sealing. Ie, not open at the top. They arent going to use bags that will damage books either.

I'm quite familiar with these bags, but it is not accurate to say they are "not open at the top." Look at the sides: see those holes in the plastic flap? That's "open at the top." It means air can circulate, to an extent.

Regardless, if you're using self-sealing mylites or the open top bags that CGC uses, the lighter, the better. Anything that restricts air flow has a tendency for condensation to occur, especially in a warmer environment. Circulation, good, stuffy bag, bad.

Everyone, my concern is: In the past, IF I buy a book in special
shape, the seller may have sent it in a heavy plastic bag without a top. The book continues to become more brittle and change of color because of oxidation. THIS SUCKS BIGTIME.

I want a way to prevent a book from further deteriorating. Originally, I thought the grading SLABS kept books from getting worse over a great deal of time. If I want to put books in a will, I want that book to still be in great shape in a hundred years.
I put books in special acid free bags with acid free boards to maximize their condition over the long term.
If a book is for future investment, I don't want it getting worse in a slab if a slab "breaths" to prevent gas build up. If I understand what has been discussed, a book WILL still turn color and become brittle in a hundred years even in a slab.

If in a hundred years, the person I willed a book to still has it and wants to take the book out to read it or put it in a new style container, what way is there to keep it in prime shape? At that time, what will be the condition of the book when it's taken out of its slab if it's in 9.0 shape now? thanks.
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
There are books around from several hundred years ago. They were not stored with any cared other than being "cared" about. No mylar, no plastic. No nothing. Just a modem of care.

So, I think your slabbed comic books will fair much better than a two volume set of Uncle Tom's Cabin from 1852. And yes, they will deteriorate to a certain extent. But a hundred years from now, there will be a can of spray something or other that you can buy at the local drug store. That will make brittle paper spring back to life, and will make age spots disappear.

Don't lose any sleep. Your Batman Adventures #12 will be worth double what it is today, in a hundred years.

Of course a Pepsi will cost you twenty times what one costs today. So...........................
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@det_tobor The best way to protect your page quality is to neutralize the acid. Unfortunately this is not an accepted practice in our hobby. I am of the opinion that a conserved book in this way should be worth more than one that is not, but I am very alone in that opinion.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user

Back in the 1910s thru the 1930s there was a Dime Novel fandom replete with conventions, fanzines, and even price guides. The USA two staple folded over pulp paper comic (magazine) book is format patterned on Late Stage Dime Novels (1900 onwards) though they were first brought out in the 1860s in various similar though slightly differing formats.

Point is, as generations die off the collecting dies also. This is a function of historical fact. This is what will happen with comic book collecting simply because Next Generations are not collecting comic books any more. It is not enough to wish upon a star - as it were.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshade
Quote:
Quote:
since the books are not in air tight SLABS for the gas they give off, would it help putting the whole slab in heavy plastic bags?

NO.

DO NOT DO THIS.

You could cause the slabs to sweat, if there's ANY moisture in the air combined with even mild heat, which is VERY, VERY bad.

Controlled humidity and controlled temps are the only solution.

Doc, really? I keep my CBCS slabs in their original plastic bags in the deluded idea that this will be for the better in at least protecting the slabs from scratches. I should take them out?

He said heavy plastic bags; by that I assume he means Ziploc or Hefty trash bags. The light plastic bags they ship with are fine, mainly because they're open at the top.

lmfao Dude we're on a comic book forum. I wouldnt assume trash bags akin to heavy plastic 🤣

Why not? People not familiar with comics and slabs, to whatever degree, have done weird things. It's cutting off a potential problem before it can happen. I'm not sure what being "on a comic book forum" has to do with the discussion...surely you don't think everyone who posts on such a forum knows everything about comics, do you...?

Quote:
btw CBCS ships their slabs with very light plastic bags (not trash bags mind you), that are self-sealing. Ie, not open at the top. They arent going to use bags that will damage books either.

I'm quite familiar with these bags, but it is not accurate to say they are "not open at the top." Look at the sides: see those holes in the plastic flap? That's "open at the top." It means air can circulate, to an extent.

Regardless, if you're using self-sealing mylites or the open top bags that CGC uses, the lighter, the better. Anything that restricts air flow has a tendency for condensation to occur, especially in a warmer environment. Circulation, good, stuffy bag, bad.

Everyone, my concern is: In the past, IF I buy a book in special
shape, the seller may have sent it in a heavy plastic bag without a top. The book continues to become more brittle and change of color because of oxidation. THIS SUCKS BIGTIME.

I want a way to prevent a book from further deteriorating. Originally, I thought the grading SLABS kept books from getting worse over a great deal of time. If I want to put books in a will, I want that book to still be in great shape in a hundred years.
I put books in special acid free bags with acid free boards to maximize their condition over the long term.
If a book is for future investment, I don't want it getting worse in a slab if a slab "breaths" to prevent gas build up. If I understand what has been discussed, a book WILL still turn color and become brittle in a hundred years even in a slab.

If in a hundred years, the person I willed a book to still has it and wants to take the book out to read it or put it in a new style container, what way is there to keep it in prime shape? At that time, what will be the condition of the book when it's taken out of its slab if it's in 9.0 shape now? thanks.

A book "breathes", while it is in a Mylite2 & Full Back.

Double bag and board it woth the next size up Gerber combo, slide it into a magazize,size top loader and it will still "breeathe".

For long term preservation of paper quality, as well as protection against damage from possible damage/spine ticks etc.... even the most anal rwtentive storage precautions will not prevent a spine tick due to flipping through "raw" books in a short box....slabbing books in CBCS abd CGC holders is best.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
IMO - if I am alive in 40 years, which I highly doubt - everything should be digital by then, so paper products will probably already be museum exhibits. :o)

If that could happen in, say, 10 years, I'd really appreciate it.

I'd like to complete a Detective run for less than $50,000,000.

You might be able to get your wish very easily...years ago some people started the process of selling full runs of some titles on DVD. That might happen with downloads even faster.
Post 33 IP   flag post
597867 33 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?