Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeQuestions

Newsstand Variant4457

Collector canadianspiderman private msg quote post Address this user
Does CBCS recognize the extremely hard to find $3.99 Marvel newsstand editions in their labels? From 2004ish to 2014ish?
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Of course they recognize books. But why would CBCS care? Is your question actually about whether they annotate the labels of such books differently than direct editions of the same issue?
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
If they stick to what they announced, they won't note them on the label as they only note direct/newstands on books published from 1977 to 2000
Post 3 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I wish they would do 1992-2017 for newsstand distinction on the labels.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Of course they recognize books. But why would CBCS care? Is your question actually about whether they annotate the labels of such books differently than direct editions of the same issue?

Not sure whether you're trying to talk down to me as if I'm an idiot, or if you just wanted to repeat the same question back to me looking for the answer as well.

I ask because it's been noted up until 2000 they distinguish between direct/newsstand, and beyond 2000 they're that much harder to find - looking to know whether or not they give the same recognition up to the point newsstand editions were taken off the market for good.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianspiderman
Quote:

Not sure whether you're trying to talk down to me as if I'm an idiot, or if you just wanted to repeat the same question back to me looking for the answer as well.

I ask because it's been noted up until 2000 they distinguish between direct/newsstand, and beyond 2000 they're that much harder to find - looking to know whether or not they give the same recognition up to the point newsstand editions were taken off the market for good.

Not talking down to you. Just trying to guide you to what you actually want to know. "Recognize" is a bad word in this context.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector therealtimmyp private msg quote post Address this user
Conditionfreak, you came across rude and harsh. Simple and honest question. Don't reply in the future if you feel you need to take that type of stance.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianspiderman
Does CBCS recognize the extremely hard to find $3.99 Marvel newsstand editions in their labels? From 2004ish to 2014ish?

Thet do not, and so far have refused to say why.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector cbj102 private msg quote post Address this user
I did not know that and that is something I need to consider before submitting. I'm not a flipper or a seller but as a collector I do like noting what makes my graded book special or even valuable (yea I slab books that are $ even though I do not sell).
Post 9 IP   flag post
@cbj102 Kind of the same thing here. I've been building up a nice pile of pre 2000 newsstand books to submit. Would really like to have some of my rare post-2000 books slabbed as well but I second guess doing it for this reason.

Not sure about the smaller companies or independents, but Marvel and DC newsstands post '00 are very easy to identify. Marvel killed off their program somewhere around '13-'14, but DC is still going (and its really hard to find any key back issue in decent shape!). Really would be nice to know a reason why CBCS kills the newsstand label post '00
Post 10 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
It's more rare to have a newsstand edition of anything after 2002, really. The rarity goes up as you approach 2017. DC and Archie are the only ones left now at Barnes and Noble bookstores.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
It's a silly expectation. Seriously, you 'variant' chasers are nuts. It's not a variant, it's a distribution aspect of the delivery process. Much more 'rare' really? It's not a 'variant' it's a bar code copy, so what? EVERY SINGLE BOOK decades back had bar codes. Are the 'direct' editions worth more? No!!! Are they 'variants'? No!!!

Rarity is specifically regarding supply and demand. Not some community sponsored creation by those that deem it so. Most 'variants' will be worth no more than their 'regular' counterparts in years to come. At best, very little more. Want examples?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Sometimes you feel like a nut...
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiot
It's not a variant, it's a distribution aspect of the delivery process.

That I can agree with. Its not your classic variant, but it IS different. It's that exact distribution process that makes these books rare in high grade.

Quote:
Rarity is specifically regarding supply and demand. Not some community sponsored creation by those that deem it so

Yep, and newsstand books regularly go for a premium over directs. Very low supply of high grade newsstands vs directs, and thus not enough supply to meet the demand . It's not a random community sponsored creation lol, its folks who enjoy collecting what they had when young (nostalgia man!), and it just so happens those books are hard to find.

Don't down the hobby man, just cause you (and a LOT of other people as well!) couldn't care less about them
Post 14 IP   flag post
I disagree with the Village Idiot. There is a clear difference between the words "DIRECT" and not existing on the bar code. Distribution or not, it still took a different journey to the retail destination, and it had to survive kids at the magazine rack, as opposed to carefully placed comics in a sub box at your LCS.
Post 15 IP   flag post
And furthermore Susan, what happened to "collect what you love" not "what others collect"
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector cbj102 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
It's a silly expectation. Seriously, you 'variant' chasers are nuts. It's not a variant, it's a distribution aspect of the delivery process. Much more 'rare' really? It's not a 'variant' it's a bar code copy, so what? EVERY SINGLE BOOK decades back had bar codes. Are the 'direct' editions worth more? No!!! Are they 'variants'? No!!!

Rarity is specifically regarding supply and demand. Not some community sponsored creation by those that deem it so. Most 'variants' will be worth no more than their 'regular' counterparts in years to come. At best, very little more. Want examples?

I agree with what you said @villageidiot (not the tone though) but I just go by what the market trend is.
If I come across a direct edition & a newsstand edition in my travels, I'll always take the newsstand edition knowing that for whatever reason people value that bar code more than than direct edition. So if that makes my find more valuable then all the better.
Post 17 IP   flag post
and that's how true "demand" is born from something no one thought to collect or seek out.

Even just the thought of @cbj102's quote "I'll always take the newsstand edition knowing that for whatever reason people value that bar code more than than direct edition."
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
"What you collect sucks, what I collect rules."
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealtimmyp
Conditionfreak, you came across rude and harsh. Simple and honest question. Don't reply in the future if you feel you need to take that type of stance.

Do you mean like you are doing now Timmy?

First off. I apologize to the original poster. I did not understand what he was saying or trying to say. Because I did not know his later explanation, quoted below. Starting out with that would have eliminated my posting at all.

"I ask because it's been noted up until 2000 they distinguish between direct/newsstand, and beyond 2000 they're that much harder to find - looking to know whether or not they give the same recognition up to the point newsstand editions were taken off the market for good."

I have been collecting comic books for longer than you have been alive (I'm guessing) and I did not know this. So your original posting did not make sense to me and I was trying to help. I did know that some people chase newsstand editions issued after 1990 or so. And I have wondered why no one seems to be chasing direct editions from the times newsstand's were the norm. In my personal opinion, direct editions are more pleasant to look at. But that's just me, and what people chase is what people chase. God Bless them.

I have seen sales threads on this site, of strictly newsstand editions. And the prices were very cheap, yet they did not sell well at all. So it is a little confusing, when you couple it with the professional grading companies not even mentioning it on labels. I mean, that is what they do. Put pertinent and important info on labels. Is it simply that they have not caught up with the hobby? Or, is it a fad in their opinions? I would find it hard to swallow that the professional grading companies are out of touch with the hobby. It is their livelihood.

Again, I apologize for sounding harsh and crass. I did not mean to sound like that.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
I never really understood the whole Newstand chase. It's the same cover, but with a barcode covering part of the cover.

With that being said, to each their own. Personally, if I'm getting the same cover with the same story at a reduced price, then I am happy.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:

Fair. Maybe the word 'variant' exclusively is used poorly, however there is a difference. If you follow the distribution ratio of direct vs. newsstand, one is much more uncommon than the other - to the tune of 1:100 coming on the end of their life span. Different barcode & different price = different cover = different edition = variance. It's no different than the '35 cent variant' of Amazing Spider-Man in the 70's.

So, the distribution ratio on top of newsstands in higher grade being extremely had to find as is, they're desirable to a collector since finding one is a needle in a hay stack.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Also, thanks everyone for the responses!
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
I have seen sales threads on this site, of strictly newsstand editions. And the prices were very cheap, yet they did not sell well at all. So it is a little confusing, when you couple it with the professional grading companies not even mentioning it on labels. I mean, that is what they do. Put pertinent and important info on labels. Is it simply that they have not caught up with the hobby? Or, is it a fad in their opinions? I would find it hard to swallow that the professional grading companies are out of touch with the hobby. It is their livelihood.

I think the bit of information that you're missing is just that CBCS now notes newsstand versus direct on their labels, but they stop at the year 2000. Post-2000 books get no notation on the label. This discussion may make quite a bit more sense knowing that 🍺
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbj102
Quote:

I agree with what you said @villageidiot (not the tone though) but I just go by what the market trend is.
If I come across a direct edition & a newsstand edition in my travels, I'll always take the newsstand edition knowing that for whatever reason people value that bar code more than than direct edition. So if that makes my find more valuable then all the better.

My apologies if my tone and delivery came across in a confrontational manner. I'm simply a passionate person about my opinions. I've tried very hard since joining here to not be one of the few blowhards, self aggrandizing, and tone deaf members, that frequent the board and there are certainly a few. Sometimes I may fail
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector NilesPaine private msg quote post Address this user
Comics are like Pokemon, ya gotta catch em all.

Post 26 IP   flag post
597869 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?