Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Baltimore Comic Con Aftermath4447

Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
Last year was the first time I've ever been to a con and first time ever in Baltimore and it was AMAZING! I was so amazed to interact with the artist and writers I grew up enjoying! All of them are so cool and really down to earth folks! Overall I had a blast!

This year was also good but there were a lot of changes that were both positive and a pain in the ass. As one would expect, turnout was great and the talent was rocking! Tons of awesome writers and artists and even celebrity guests! Food is expensive as always but the con management opened up more of the show floor for vendors and a big food court area!

My only complaint was the lack of interaction by some of the talent. Example, Tom King. He's a super cool dude and he seems to enjoy talking to and meeting his fans. This year, the interaction was missing from Tom King. He was with the comic book sketch.com people and they weren't very friendly to attendees or even Mr. King or Mark Waid! I was talking to Mr. Waid and afterward, I wanted to buy a sketch for $100 ( which is what was advertised) but Mark said not to sweat it and said he would do it for $75. I was stoked! He didn't have to do that and I told him I would pay $100. He insisted so I took him up on his offer.

Suddenly one of the Comic Book Sketch guys bumped in and told me it was $100. Mark told him he was doing it for $75 and that was the end of it. In the King line, a young kid was getting his ONE book signed with his dad and KING tried to talk to the kid and sure enough, the comic sketch people politely told King to keep the line moving. The kid was in the middle of telling king why he likes Batman and they cut him off. The kids didn't even get a complete sentence in before they told him to " Keep the line moving" That's the part that really upset me. They took that kids chance to interact with an author that just signed.

Long story short, comicbooksketchart.com was a pain in my side the whole show. They tried to tell a creator what they could charge and prevented a kid from meeting a writer he liked. Did anyone else that attended the show see this? Or am I just crazy?
Post 1 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
This seems to have started with the Boston show this year and is not a good trend for the hobby.

Comic Book Sketch is making a lot of money but it seems that the artists working with them have limited signing times and are less available than they were before.

John Timms was about the only exception but his signatures were still free even though he was with them.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure if it was the same group but I too have seen this at other conventions.
A total shame, part of why I don't go to the larger shows anymore (that and I can't handle the crowds). At smaller cons there doesn't seem to be handlers around - heaven forbid my 9yr old can actually talk to an artist etc!!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Not sure if it was the same group but I too have seen this at other conventions.
A total shame, part of why I don't go to the larger shows anymore (that and I can't handle the crowds). At smaller cons there doesn't seem to be handlers around - heaven forbid my 9yr old can actually talk to an artist etc!!

Thats what its all about! Getting the younger kids involved! I hope this trend ends!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
As there are at a LOT of cons, the "representatives " are there for the convention givers. They know just one thing: more people in, more people in lines. Bigger lines = more potential problems. Keep lines moving so everyone gets their 5 SECONDS with their favorite star.
People in lines behind you complain if they can't get the time they want as well with the star.
Even worse, unless it's an actor with their own table/booth, the time for autographs or photo ops is very limited to a scheduled time
(unless the actor will stay for all the fans).
It seems that the bigger the crowd, the more the con givers are the ONLY ones who are happy winners.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector kclaw97 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniofett
Last year was the first time I've ever been to a con and first time ever in Baltimore and it was AMAZING! I was so amazed to interact with the artist and writers I grew up enjoying! All of them are so cool and really down to earth folks! Overall I had a blast!

This year was also good but there were a lot of changes that were both positive and a pain in the ass. As one would expect, turnout was great and the talent was rocking! Tons of awesome writers and artists and even celebrity guests! Food is expensive as always but the con management opened up more of the show floor for vendors and a big food court area!

My only complaint was the lack of interaction by some of the talent. Example, Tom King. He's a super cool dude and he seems to enjoy talking to and meeting his fans. This year, the interaction was missing from Tom King. He was with the comic book sketch.com people and they weren't very friendly to attendees or even Mr. King or Mark Waid! I was talking to Mr. Waid and afterward, I wanted to buy a sketch for $100 ( which is what was advertised) but Mark said not to sweat it and said he would do it for $75. I was stoked! He didn't have to do that and I told him I would pay $100. He insisted so I took him up on his offer.

Suddenly one of the Comic Book Sketch guys bumped in and told me it was $100. Mark told him he was doing it for $75 and that was the end of it. In the King line, a young kid was getting his ONE book signed with his dad and KING tried to talk to the kid and sure enough, the comic sketch people politely told King to keep the line moving. The kid was in the middle of telling king why he likes Batman and they cut him off. The kids didn't even get a complete sentence in before they told him to " Keep the line moving" That's the part that really upset me. They took that kids chance to interact with an author that just signed.

Long story short, comicbooksketchart.com was a pain in my side the whole show. They tried to tell a creator what they could charge and prevented a kid from meeting a writer he liked. Did anyone else that attended the show see this? Or am I just crazy?

Re the sketch quote price--I ran into the exact same thing with one of the Comic Book Sketch artists. Don't wanna name names, but I asked if the artist could do a quick Remarque on one of my books and happily said yes and quoted me a price. Then another of the artists not so subtly told him that wasn't the price and that it was X. The artist was super cool and their response was basically 'I already told him X and the next person in line can pay the higher amount'. The artist and I actually had a bit of a good time with the entire thing. I find it odd that it's the Comic Sketch people and not the artists setting the prices. If the artist wants to charge whatever for THEIR work then let them. Just sayin.
Overall though we had a blast. Had a lot of really good timing--missed the big lines and got to talk with many of the artists for a good bit.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector thpike private msg quote post Address this user
Oh man... I hope they don't come to C2E2 next year as that's really the only con I go to. I enjoyed being able to talk to many of the creators! Last year was my first year and I didn't really have a lot to sign but the ones I did get signed talked to me a bit and were actually excited for what I wanted them to sign. I hope that is still there next year.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I was impressed how the Baltimore staff booted Retailers off the lines in favor of the fans who payed for VIP. They line up before the doors open. This is the second year in a row where I observed this and never see this at NYCC or SDCC. I saw the booting of retailers both at the skottie young and Lee Bermejo line. Good job Baltimore CC!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kclaw97
Quote:

Re the sketch quote price--I ran into the exact same thing with one of the Comic Book Sketch artists. Don't wanna name names, but I asked if the artist could do a quick Remarque on one of my books and happily said yes and quoted me a price. Then another of the artists not so subtly told him that wasn't the price and that it was X. The artist was super cool and their response was basically 'I already told him X and the next person in line can pay the higher amount'. The artist and I actually had a bit of a good time with the entire thing. I find it odd that it's the Comic Sketch people and not the artists setting the prices. If the artist wants to charge whatever for THEIR work then let them. Just sayin.

Are you guys referring to "Comic Sketch Art"...?

This whole "exclusive representation" bullshit will END the careers of struggling...and even some not so struggling...creators.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I was impressed how the Baltimore staff booted Retailers off the lines in favor of the fans who payed for VIP. They line up before the doors open. This is the second year in a row where I observed this and never see this at NYCC or SDCC. I saw the booting of retailers both at the skottie young and Lee Bermejo line. Good job Baltimore CC!

It was a dick move. I was at the front of the Amanda Connor line when the fire alarm went off. After they let us in I got booted for 20 VIPs who were not there before the alarm.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I get the VIP but how are they determining retailer vs. fan to decide who to boot?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector thpike private msg quote post Address this user
So retailers are paying for VIP status, which they probably then expense out, and are taking up spots from regular con goers?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
I get the VIP but how are they determining retailer vs. fan to decide who to boot?

They were putting VIPs ahead of retailers who got on line before the VIPs did.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thpike
So retailers are paying for VIP status, which they probably then expense out, and are taking up spots from regular con goers?
No, the retailers just have admission like anyone else. Getting in early does give them the opportunity to line up early.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:
Quote:

Are you guys referring to "Comic Sketch Art"...?

This whole "exclusive representation" bullshit will END the careers of struggling...and even some not so struggling...creators.

I was/am yes. Attempting to multitask at work on the Monday after a con...shoulda known better.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I saw the staff asking retailers to go to the back of the line which was pretty cool! Last year I got a VIP pass which let me in an hour early, only to find out that retailers were already in line waiting for signatures. Glad to hear their cracking down on it!
Post 16 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
The hobby is evolving, and trying to sustain credibility at the expense of young impressionable kids who one day will grow up to be influenced or not. I remember meeting Dave Prowse at 16 for the first time, I knew he was coming to the Haunted Hotel in Houston TX for a signing. I didn't know he was charging. I'm a kid, I didn't know any better yet. I looked at him with sad eyes in disbelief he was asking $20. He looked down at me, sighed and took my VHS tape and signed it with his own silver sharpie and smiled. It changed me forever. It gave me hope for the creators and actors we cherish in our hearts.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
I like to wait for a retailer to walk in holding a bunch of stuff then say hell man thats a lot then offer to help him carry a thing or two and then I get the door held open by security and get in early without paying at all.
Nothing makes me happier than those petty little victories against overcharging Comic Cons
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector sonny4eyez private msg quote post Address this user
Its "Reps" like these that ruin conventions. They treat the fans like cattle and when you finally get to the front of the line, they give you 5.2 seconds to say hello to the creator you came to meet and then onto the next guy...not to mention imposing unnecessary restrictions onto creators. At this point Ive got no problem telling anyone who rushes me in the signing line to piss off. Ive seen this time and again, but it does seem to be a persistent thing happening.
Post 19 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
That's a shame. Sadly I hear more and more stories like this
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Hanginglimbs private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds like Stan Lee Collectibles customer service model has spread
Post 21 IP   flag post
The answer to this is to complain to the creators...politely...and then complain to the slabbing companies about these "reps."

They have inserted themselves between creators and fans, and (falsely, in most cases) convinced creators that "yo! People are making PHAT STACKS of dolla bills off yo sig, man! You need a piece of that action, and I'LL make it happen!"

When, in reality, a signature is only worth anything when it gets put on a book that already has substantial value on its own, and anything signed that does not meet that qualification is a waste.

Creators will understand that, but self-interested hucksters like Comic Sketch and Desert Winds have done much to create ill-will and tension between creators and fans.

Unless fans put a stop to it soon, it will end up just as bad as the sports collectibles business, and I guarantee you, a HELL of a lot more people know who Kobe Bryant is than Rob Liefeld.

And who do these people think are BUYING these signed things...? OTHER flippers? No, they sell to COLLECTORS who, for one reason or another, don't have access to either A. the creator, or B. the item they want signed, in the condition they want it signed in.
Post 22 IP   flag post
And...it's costing the slabbing companies SUBMISSIONS.

I have 10 books I want to get signed = 10 subs.

I only get ONE signed, because the creator is charging $30 PER SIG for the "SLAB SURCHARGE", and these books aren't worth it? = 1 sub.

Who is hurt in that?

1. The creator. Likely, I would have been happy to have all 10 books signed for, say, $5/book. Free is what they're really worth, but ok, $5 is fine. Creator loses $20.

2. The submission company. 10 subs is a whollllle lot more than 1. An order of magnitude more.

3. Me. Obviously, I don't get 10 books signed, 10 books that are generally worth being signed, and so I don't benefit from the amplification that sig brings.

4. Collectors who would like to get a copy of that book and would have had the opportunity to buy it from me.

Of course, it's self-serving. That's the point of business. That's the point of work. But the creator wildly overcharging for his signature...or worse, being convinced by bottom-feeder "reps"...is also looking out for his/her interest, too. That's how business works.

Who is helped in that?

1. The artist "rep." They make money, doing essentially no work except collecting the money.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
Baltimore Comic Con huh? was everyone there kneeling and then standing for 'God save the Queen'?
Post 24 IP   flag post
Last year a poplar writer signed 7 books for me for nothing and they even chatted with me for a minute or two. This year that same person was 2 free if I didn't want it witnessed. After my two free it was $10 each.

Also last year I talked to Dan jurgens who was cool! As it turns out we're from the same neighborhood and have a lot of cool stuff in common! I never would have known that if we didn't have that writer/fan interaction. I like him a lot more now that I know more about him as a person!

That's what sucks about all this. Fans are getting hosed on interactions.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
So last year I went to a small local convention mainly because Mike Zeck was going to be there.
Really wanted a sketch but when I got to his table the wait was too long for a sketch (i had my 8yr old at the time son with me).
Mike talked with us a bit and said he would do a re-mark in my hard cover if I left it with him for I think $50.

So my son and I wondered around and eventually made our way back.
This was the re-mark....way...way more than I was expecting
If handlers were around I am 100% sure this would not have happened.

only problem now is I don't remember which dust cover is for the 1st or 2nd print of the Kravens Last Hunt hardcovers!!

Post 26 IP   flag post
Friday ended up chatting w Brian Stelfreeze while he did a remarque for me. He'd started a story about a police officer, a rabid raccoon, a traffic jam and a baseball bat (I'm not making this up). Ended up just hanging out at his table for about 20 minutes. Wildly entertaining. Oh and didn't charge me. It's nice to know that many artists are still there for the interaction w their fans.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Friday ended up chatting w Brian Stelfreeze while he did a remarque for me. He'd started a story about a police officer, a rabid raccoon, a traffic jam and a baseball bat (I'm not making this up). Ended up just hanging out at his table for about 20 minutes. Wildly entertaining. Oh and didn't charge me. It's nice to know that many artists are still there for the interaction w their fans.

Amen to that!
Post 28 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by det_tobor
everyone gets their 5 SECONDS with their favorite star.

WHOA. Five seconds? I wish I can get that in Stan's line. At least not without given up my left nut.
Post 29 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by thpike
No, the retailers just have admission like anyone else. Getting in early does give them the opportunity to line up early.

I respectfully disagree. Doors open at 9:30. Retailers lining up prior to 9:30 gives an unfair advantage to retailers. I complained last year to the show promoter (I know him) and he instituted the policy that was enacted this year also. So you can blame me and with the exception of retailers, everyone is happier for it.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600811 48 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?