Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Baltimore Comic Con Aftermath4447

Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
So last year I went to a small local convention mainly because Mike Zeck was going to be there.
Really wanted a sketch but when I got to his table the wait was too long for a sketch (i had my 8yr old at the time son with me).
Mike talked with us a bit and said he would do a re-mark in my hard cover if I left it with him for I think $50.

So my son and I wondered around and eventually made our way back.
This was the re-mark....way...way more than I was expecting
If handlers were around I am 100% sure this would not have happened.

only problem now is I don't remember which dust cover is for the 1st or 2nd print of the Kravens Last Hunt hardcovers!!

Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector kclaw97 private msg quote post Address this user
Friday ended up chatting w Brian Stelfreeze while he did a remarque for me. He'd started a story about a police officer, a rabid raccoon, a traffic jam and a baseball bat (I'm not making this up). Ended up just hanging out at his table for about 20 minutes. Wildly entertaining. Oh and didn't charge me. It's nice to know that many artists are still there for the interaction w their fans.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kclaw97
Friday ended up chatting w Brian Stelfreeze while he did a remarque for me. He'd started a story about a police officer, a rabid raccoon, a traffic jam and a baseball bat (I'm not making this up). Ended up just hanging out at his table for about 20 minutes. Wildly entertaining. Oh and didn't charge me. It's nice to know that many artists are still there for the interaction w their fans.

Amen to that!
Post 28 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by det_tobor
everyone gets their 5 SECONDS with their favorite star.

WHOA. Five seconds? I wish I can get that in Stan's line. At least not without given up my left nut.
Post 29 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by thpike
So retailers are paying for VIP status, which they probably then expense out, and are taking up spots from regular con goers?
No, the retailers just have admission like anyone else. Getting in early does give them the opportunity to line up early.

I respectfully disagree. Doors open at 9:30. Retailers lining up prior to 9:30 gives an unfair advantage to retailers. I complained last year to the show promoter (I know him) and he instituted the policy that was enacted this year also. So you can blame me and with the exception of retailers, everyone is happier for it.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm glad I don't collect signatures. I'm not waiting in line for a creator. I'm definitely not paying for an autograph. I've gotten free signatures when I buy product, but I've never gone up specifically to pay for an autograph. If a creator asked me if I wanted to pay for an autograph, I'd look at them and say "Hey, I'll sign something for you and we can do a trade." The only autograph I own that has any real significance to me is Mike Judge because I think he's a genius.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thpike
So retailers are paying for VIP status, which they probably then expense out, and are taking up spots from regular con goers?
No, the retailers just have admission like anyone else. Getting in early does give them the opportunity to line up early.

I respectfully disagree. Doors open at 9:30. Retailers lining up prior to 9:30 gives an unfair advantage to retailers. I complained last year to the show promoter (I know him) and he instituted the policy that was enacted this year also. So you can blame me and with the exception of retailers, everyone is happier for it.

I owe you a drink sir!
Post 32 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
So the retailers who pay the most have an unfair advantage but the VIPs who pay extra for early admission and get to cut the line don't have an unfair advantage?
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
So the retailers who pay the most have an unfair advantage but the VIPs who pay extra for early admission and get to cut the line don't have an unfair advantage?

I'm not going to explain the obvious again. The show doors open at 9:30. That's when the big metal door raises and opens. Retailers get in earlier to set up their booth. That is why they are allowed in before show opens at 9:30. It's not about who pays most. To line up at an artist prior to show opening is an unfair advantage... yes. This is all about when the show opens. And guess what - show promoters agree with me; not you. So you'll have to find a different way to find an edge on everyone else at Baltimore
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not going to explain the obvious again. The show doors open at 9:30. That's when the big metal door raises and opens. Retailers get in earlier to set up their booth. That is why they are allowed in before show opens at 9:30. It's not about who pays most. To line up at an artist prior to show opening is an unfair advantage... yes. This is all about when the show opens. And guess what - show promoters agree with me; not you. So you'll have to find a different way to find an edge on everyone else at Baltimore

Yes!!! This pisses me off so much when I go to a con.
A few years back Tim Sale was in Toronto...does 10 sketches a day....10.
I was there hours early, in the first 10 in line, ran to his table as soon as the doors opened...already 4 people there!!, and NOT VIP people. These were guys that I recognized from other cons as vendors. Retailers are there to sell product - you want to line up for an artist etc. then come back outside after you setup and wait with the rest of us (potentially stick a person in line as a place holder so you don't end up 1000 places back)
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
Quote:

Yes!!! This pisses me off so much when I go to a con.
A few years back Tim Sale was in Toronto...does 10 sketches a day....10.
I was there hours early, in the first 10 in line, ran to his table as soon as the doors opened...already 4 people there!!, and NOT VIP people. These were guys that I recognized from other cons as vendors. Retailers are there to sell product - you want to line up for an artist etc. then come back outside after you setup and wait with the rest of us (potentially stick a person in line as a place holder so you don't end up 1000 places back)

Baltimore does it the right way. That's why it's the best comic show of the year. I've heard ripples of NYCC and SDCC following suit by not allowing retailers to line up at a hot artist before the doors open also. So hopefully Cons will continue to institute this policy with rigor going forward. I was #4 on Lee Bermejo commission and did not get one. The 3 others in front were VIP so bravo to them. They got on the VIP line at 6 a.m. and I give them credit for working hard to get their Bermejo commissions. But there were 4 retailers in front of these 3 VIP fans originally. Of course they got booted from the front by Baltimore staff and I couldn't have been happier to see that enforced.
Post 36 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
So VIPs can be special but not retailers? Hypocrisy much.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:

Yup! as a retailer you are there to sell product, not deprive the paying public, the ones who may buy your wares, of (for some artists etc.) limited spaces/opportunities to see those creators etc.

To be honest I'm not all that fond of the VIP process either and can't justify the added expense (or pre-selected seats at the movies for that fact - you want a good seat - show the hell up early).

When my LCS goes to a show they are 90% setup the night before. Why not stick one of the employees/volunteers in the line with the dirty masses and give everyone a chance.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:

Do you listen much?
Doors open at 9:30.
Retailers are in earlier than 9:30 to set up their booth. If they didn't have to set up a booth, they wouldn't be in early.

Show starts at 9:30. You cannot get on line for a hot artist prior to 9:30 because it's an unfair advantage and using your "booth set up time" for getting on a line 1st.
Not right.

But clearly you do not agree and that's fine. I'll make sure I turn around and wave to you when you're behind me next year
Post 39 IP   flag post
Wow!!! just checked the FanExpo site.

I think I may go as an 'Artist Alley' next year.

$515 for artist alley (2 passes!!!)
$549 for VIP

My kid and father have some nice arts and crafts I could setup to sell and then just get in early and get all the art/signatures I want!!

Now I won't get the lithos and lanyards and other bin fillers (what a shame!) and some sucker might even buy some of the art I'll have for sale.

Dad passed away 7 years ago and I have a ton of his abstract art(trippy stuff). He got a Disney scholarship to art school 1965-1970 in LA.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:
My kid and father have some nice arts and crafts I could setup to sell and then just get in early and get all the art/signatures I want!!

That's what many folks do these days and they think they're clandestine about it. They contrive up a manner in which to get a retailer badge either by access to a retailer who can get a badge; or by "assisting" a retailer in some way. And the funny part is these folks don't think others are on to them with this ploy/scheme. It's quite funny... the unspoken truth ..... shhhhh.... don't talk about that. We wouldn't want to expose the scheme now would we? However, the savvy fan knows this nonsense is happening. And I have made sure the convention organizers know of this, and I will continue to let convention organizers know of this. They do listen... clearly they do.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

That's what many folks do these days and they think they're clandestine about it. They contrive up a manner in which to get a retailer badge either by access to a retailer who can get a badge; or by "assisting" a retailer in some way. And the funny part is these folks don't think others are on to them with this ploy/scheme. It's quite funny... the unspoken truth ..... shhhhh.... don't talk about that. We wouldn't want to expose the scheme now would we? However, the savvy fan knows this nonsense is happening. And I have made sure the convention organizers know of this, and I will continue to let convention organizers know of this. They do listen... clearly they do.

Every time people try to control others, it results in unforeseen consequences...like trying to grab sand in your fist. The answer is fairly straightforward: let everyone and anyone line up when and how they will, and whoever is interested will get in line. Don't let anyone line up until everyone can.

All this VIP this, and early access that, and retailers not allowed the other, is only going to, like trying to grab sand in your fist, result in people finding endless ways around the "rules."

It's just human nature.

Dealers have been scouring the room for decades, looking for the best deals. I have a friend who goes to conventions only on the day of setup...when the public isn't allowed...and then leaves for home. He's almost never at the con while it is actually open. I've never liked this, but I recognize that it is a reality, and unavoidable. Dealers come to sell, after all, regardless of to whom.

Trying to control that would only result in negative unforeseen consequences that are worse than the "fix."
Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
Wow!!! just checked the FanExpo site.

I think I may go as an 'Artist Alley' next year.

$515 for artist alley (2 passes!!!)
$549 for VIP

Now I won't get the lithos and lanyards and other bin fillers (what a shame!) and some sucker might even buy some of the art I'll have for sale.

Dad passed away 7 years ago and I have a ton of his abstract art(trippy stuff). He got a Disney scholarship to art school 1965-1970 in LA.

There are people who do this. There are people who buy booth space at SDCC just to have a home base for other activities, who have no intention of actually using that space to sell stuff.

It's not a bad idea.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Every time people try to control others, it results in unforeseen consequences...like trying to grab sand in your fist. The answer is fairly straightforward: let everyone and anyone line up when and how they will, and whoever is interested will get in line. Don't let anyone line up until everyone can.

All this VIP this, and early access that, and retailers not allowed the other, is only going to, like trying to grab sand in your fist, result in people finding endless ways around the "rules."

It's just human nature.

Dealers have been scouring the room for decades, looking for the best deals. I have a friend who goes to conventions only on the day of setup...when the public isn't allowed...and then leaves for home. He's almost never at the con while it is actually open. I've never liked this, but I recognize that it is a reality, and unavoidable. Dealers come to sell, after all, regardless of to whom.

Trying to control that would only result in negative unforeseen consequences that are worse than the "fix."

Definitely fair points and well thought out.
I certainly do know about the age old activity of dealers scouring the floor for deals from other dealers before doors open.
I recognize everything that is unfair is not controllable. Life is just that. However, those things I can impact and can effect (and indeed have!) I will continue to do so. It's those little victories over the schemes that occasionally provide satisfaction.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:

Hypocrisy is telling others not to do something, while you do it yourself. VIPs pay a surcharge to "be special." Retailers do not. There's nothing "hypocritical" about it.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:

Retailers pay the most for what...? The opportunity to sell.

Convention goers aren't there to sell. (Generally, let's not bring up exceptions that make the rule.) And, in some cases, con goers CANNOT sell, and risk their attendance by trying...with good reason. You can't set up in the food court and run a stealth booth.

Retailers "paying the most" should recognize that they pay that amount for the right to make money...not scoop up all the exclusives before the public.

I don't think that retailers and exhibitors should be kicked out of line. However...they also should not get "early access" to whatever and whomever, just by virtue of them being a retailer. If they want to send someone to stand in line, they should do that, just like everyone else. Or, buy a VIP pass themselves. That is, after all, the POINT of "pay(ing) extra for early admission"...to get an advantage. It's not "unfair" unless not everyone has the opportunity.

So long as everyone has the same chance, that's what works the best. Always has.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:

Hypocrisy is telling others not to do something, while you do it yourself. VIPs pay a surcharge to "be special." Retailers do not. There's nothing "hypocritical" about it.

Retailers pay more than anyone. I am not a retailer but generally pay a premium to obtain a vendor pass depending on the show.

There is only so much the show runners can control. When they try to micro manage things or sell so many VIP badges that the fifth person showing up without a VIP pass has to wait in line for two hours it makes things tough for everyone else (including vendors.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kclaw97

That's awesome. Yeah, Stelfreeze is a great guy. Met him 20+ years ago at HeroesCon, before anyone knew who the heck he was.

I've seen some people complaining about Comic Sketch Art and other 'handlers.' And for the most part, I completely agree. They can totally suck the fun out of meeting your favorite artists and writers, and it really stinks that this aspect of fandom has been monetized to such a degree.

But I think this system is probably working exactly the way it is intended to work. That story about Mark Waid? I'd give ten to one odds that the rep did what he was supposed to do, what was expected of him; and Mark's response - while perhaps honest, perhaps not - is kind of a play acting thing. It gives Mark a chance to be the "good guy" in this transaction, to show empathy for the collector and fan. He's STILL selling ~ten minutes of work for $75, after all. And that's a lot more than even five years ago.

The reps are there to say "no," to move things along, to be the bad guy. It's there job. They do this so the creators don't have to be... so that creators don't get a reputation for being a jerk, and maybe even get a reputation for being the "class act" who "stands up" to the rep.

Also, they make a hell of a lot more money.

If creators REALLY dislike what these reps are doing, and they REALLY hate what jerks they are being and don't like how they treat the fans? Then those reps would be fired faster than you could spit.

So if you want to complain - politely or no - do so directly to the creator being rep'd, IMO. Tell him (or her) you think it's a ripoff and is hurting the inherent goodwill that exists in comics. Tell him whatever you want. Because he hired the rep, and he can stop that nonsense anytime he wants to.
Post 48 IP   flag post
600649 48 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?