Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Cover fold? ebay listing4438

Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
So I have my eye on this Vengeance of Bane comic and it is listed as being in "mint condition". Looking at the picture, it looks like there is a cover fold. I see big indentation that goes down the left side. What am I seeing here? Wouldn't that drop the grade significantly?

clickable text
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Best bet is to ask the seller about it, as it could be just the bag that has the crease.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Squack private msg quote post Address this user
That indention is the binding on the spine. It is perfectly normal since that book was glued together. It is a common feature of square bound books.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squack
That indention is the binding on the spine. It is perfectly normal since that book was glued together. It is a common feature of square bound books.

Squack is correct. I forgot the square bound process changed in that era, I have a few "mint" books from around then that have it as well (Hunter/Prey)

It also makes it obvious when the book has been read, you get almost immediate color break as soon as you open it

Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:

Squack is correct. I forgot the square bound process changed in that era, I have a few "mint" books from around then that have it as well (Hunter/Prey)

It also makes it obvious when the book has been read, you get almost immediate color break as soon as you open it

The Sups Doomsday book breaks color, and it is also card stock paper....the Bane book "fold" does not appear to break color, at all...cardsyock cover defects are pretty much unresponsive to pressing to begin with....the Bane book looks like it may be a 9.8, as the cover stock is traditional 90's DC cover stock paper....which allows for a "fold", which is not what that defect is, at all.

I'd bid on it, and have it pressed.

I'm on my cell ATM so I can't pull up detailed images but from what I can see, it is either a 9.6/9.8...but with a press, the "fold" , would be removed and it would be a lock at 9.8.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Symbiote private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:

The Sups Doomsday book breaks color, and it is also card stock paper....the Bane book "fold" does not appear to break color, at all...cardsyock cover defects are pretty much unresponsive to pressing to begin with....the Bane book looks like it may be a 9.8, as the cover stock is traditional 90's DC cover stock paper....which allows for a "fold", which is not what that defect is, at all.

I'd bid on it, and have it pressed.

I'm on my cell ATM so I can't pull up detailed images but from what I can see, it is either a 9.6/9.8...but with a press, the "fold" , would be removed and it would be a lock at 9.8.

Impressive perception, especially when relying on just cell phone images.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Seller says it is the bag.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
It's manufactured that way. They all look like that. There is no issue here.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
☝🏻 That
Post 9 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Seller most likely thinks you're referring to the "waves" in the comic bag around the flash.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
Definitely ask for back cover photos before bidding!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Comic went for $70. I think I can get a graded 9.4-9.6 close to that price.
Post 12 IP   flag post
598034 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?