Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Slab Storage-Ballad of a Rookie Collector4433

I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilesPaine
@BigRedOne1944
!!!!! Wow. . . this is what I hope to achieve at some point. So are those just printed out of the comics on the front of the runs or the actual comics and are they arranged that way?? Do actual slabs fit into those too or are those your raw runs?? Very impressive sir. Once I complete a few of my runs I'm gonna give something similar a go. I'm wondering though, would it be safer to build your own shelfs??? I suppose if the wood between the levels is sturdy enough its no concern. I'll bet the measurements for just the right spacing was a PAIN!! I assume you need some pretty solid wood in between levels to prevent from caving in. The light effects are what just top it off. How long did this take???

Thank You for the kind words.

#1 The Comic Drawer Boxes are designed so that no shelving or supports are needed in between the layers.

#2 Yes, the Books on the Drawer fronts are Photo color copies

#3 The three rows of lower drawers are regular long comic boxes for my raw books.

#4 The 4 larger Magazine size Drawer boxes on the fourth level are for Slabbed books.

#5 Its still a work in progress as I have not decided the type of shelving set up Im going to use with the space to the left.

The answers to most of your questions about the construction details can be found in the Original Thread. https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/2934/page/1/building-a-comic-book-cabinet-in-my-my-cave/

Post 26 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
@NilesPaine How about building a Fortress of Comitude?
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Once a book is read, it is finished as a book and becomes a commodity. Might as well slab it to protect it.

My slabbed books are kept standing on edge with the spine on bottom and the open end on top. in my safe (four long pull out drawers). But the excess slabbed overage (safe is full) are kept standing in a CGC slab short box.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
To @BigRedOne1944 No offense, but I've got nothing but pure jealousy. I admit it freely. Well done.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector NilesPaine private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Once a book is read, it is finished as a book and becomes a commodity. Might as well slab it to protect it.

My slabbed books are kept standing on edge with the spine on bottom and the open end on top. in my safe (four long pull out drawers). But the excess slabbed overage (safe is full) are kept standing in a CGC slab short box.

I agree. I still read but rarely, save for a few runs, I go back to. Any negative effects on the spine storing them horizontal?? Seems like the book is pretty tight in there, doesn't seem like they slide around too much.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
To @BigRedOne1944 No offense, but I've got nothing but pure jealousy. I admit it freely. Well done.

Seriously right?? I would just set up a mini fridge, a record player and a lounge chair in front of it and never move.

Post 31 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944 sweet. Would be too fearful of someone stealing my stuff when I am not home. I keep everythinking in a walk in type safe. I'm not sure what value your have in all your books, but do you fear someone walking off with some or all of it. I've heard horror stories about friends of friends of friends telling people about collections and then poof things are taken. One guy recently this happened to I know personally. Also fire would scare me as well. Good job getting it off the ground a few inches in case a pipe breaks.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak

I have to respectfully disagree here.

I believe a book only becomes a commodity AFTER it has been rendered unreadable and unviewable by slabbing it and denying any future owners of the book the chance to read and view it.

If the said book has some substantial value I can certainly understand having it slabbed for the premium value that a TPG label adds to it. As far as protection...... There are much more affordable archival products available in the hobby today that offer just as good, if not better protection than the super expensive cost of TPGing Slabs, which do not render the book unreadable.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:

Thanks Kap!
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
@BigRedOne1944 sweet. Would be too fearful of someone stealing my stuff when I am not home. I keep everythinking in a walk in type safe. I'm not sure what value your have in all your books, but do you fear someone walking off with some or all of it. I've heard horror stories about friends of friends of friends telling people about collections and then poof things are taken. One guy recently this happened to I know personally. Also fire would scare me as well. Good job getting it off the ground a few inches in case a pipe breaks.

I do understand your concerns here, but Im not that worried about it. Contrary to what many believe the vast majority of Comic books are pretty much worthless. Ive been lugging these boxes of books around with me for over 30 years now and I don't believe most people would have any idea which books may have any real value to them, and I doubt lugging out multiple heavy comic boxes would be the 1st choice in a robbery.

Fire is a whole different story. Not much I can do about that other than the standard common sense safe guards.

Like I said Ive been lugging these 10,000 books around with me for the better part of 30 years now. If it is my destiny to have them stolen, burnt or destroyed by other outside agents, I can't say that I would be happy about that, but so be it. For now I guess its just ME, The two dogs and Smith & Wesson and fingers crossed that natural disaster doesn't get to them.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilesPaine
Quote:

Seriously right?? I would just set up a mini fridge, a record player and a lounge chair in front of it and never move.

LOL!! minus the mini frig, I have actually done this! too Funny indeed!
Post 36 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I actually have this picture framed in my bedroom.
Post 37 IP   flag post

Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:

LOL always relevant
Post 39 IP   flag post
That image always captivated me as a child. That, and "Time Melts Upon Explosion" by Dali too

Post 40 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I rarely move them at all, but I have not seen any ill effects no matter how I store them. I have never had a slab crack, although I have received some that were scratched, from people I bought them from. I don't sweat slab scratches though. That is what the slab is for, to protect the book. If the slab is scratched then the slab did its job, is the way I see it.
Post 41 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
I use these from bags unlimited to store my graded books.
clickable text
Post 42 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Keep those slabs in mint condition. One day there may exist a company that slabs and grades "vintage" slabs 😜
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
Keep those slabs in mint condition. One day there may exist a company that slabs and grades "vintage" slabs 😜

Lol a slab within a slab within a slab! Its funny you bring that up because I have some old label CGCs I have been going back and forth about reholdering.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01

I do understand your concerns here, but Im not that worried about it. Contrary to what many believe the vast majority of Comic books are pretty much worthless. Ive been lugging these boxes of books around with me for over 30 years now and I don't believe most people would have any idea which books may have any real value to them, and I doubt lugging out multiple heavy comic boxes would be the 1st choice in a robbery.

Fire is a whole different story. Not much I can do about that other than the standard common sense safe guards.

Like I said Ive been lugging these 10,000 books around with me for the better part of 30 years now. If it is my destiny to have them stolen, burnt or destroyed by other outside agents, I can't say that I would be happy about that, but so be it. For now I guess its just ME, The two dogs and Smith & Wesson and fingers crossed that natural disaster doesn't get to them.

Post 45 IP   flag post
598080 45 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?