Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Slab Storage-Ballad of a Rookie Collector4433

Collector NilesPaine private msg quote post Address this user
So I stated a couple of times here before, I just started slabbin my collection. As they have been piling up, I’m scratching my head how to not create a plastic fortress(as cool as that may seem). It’s probably been discussed before but just curious how you ladies and gentle men are storing your slabs?? Right side up?? Flat and stacked?? Are there special long boxes or something for them? Pics are welcome. Just wanna get some info from the pros! Thanks in advance.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector vabchgent private msg quote post Address this user
Mine are on my wall, I don't slab books just to slab them
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
I use these

http://www.bcwsupplies.com/cat/comic-book-storage/graded-comic-book-box
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
I use these

http://www.bcwsupplies.com/cat/comic-book-storage/graded-comic-book-box

Thanks Poka. How do you go about if there is extra space?? Little cardboard?? I assume its less of a big deal if they slide, unlike raws.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I was flat stacking at first...then one cracked and it probably only had 5-10 slabs on top of it. It was fresh from cbcs too. So I don't recommend that. I'll probably order the box.
Post 5 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I use boxes and stand the slabs vertically within each box.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@Drogio @DWeeB1967
So the general consesus is DO NOT stack! Panic as I’m away from home.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@NilesPaine they fit nicely in the box.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Deadpoolica private msg quote post Address this user
Use the short boxes for slabs
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilesPaine
@Drogio @DWeeB1967
So the general consesus is DO NOT stack! Panic as I’m away from home.

I've heard people say the opposite before. Just do not shake, or wash the slabs, or let the sun shine on em

I keep mine in short boxes in the top of my closet and everytime I get one of those moisture reducing packs from buying shoes I toss em on the shelf by the boxes
Post 10 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
I store my slabs throughout the house to make them useful when needed. I usually keep a couple stacks about 2 foot high in the garage. I slide the stacks under my car using them as jack stands when changing brakes or oil.
In the house they store nicely with my dishes and are easily accessible for partys when I need TV trays for my guests. Lots of great ways to store and use around the house.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
I store my slabs throughout the house to make them useful when needed. I usually keep a couple stacks about 2 foot high in the garage. I slide the stacks under my car using them as jack stands when changing brakes or oil.
In the house they store nicely with my dishes and are easily accessible for partys when I need TV trays for my guests. Lots of great ways to store and use around the house.

LOL
I’ll use um as snow shoes once the winter hits.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
I store mine standing up on a bottom bookshelf in my library/office.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Most are on my wall, some are in a box where I cut the tops off so I can thumb through them as whim desires.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
They make really really bad frisbees.....😎
Post 15 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Slabbed books should be treated like vinyl records: standing up, vertically, never lay flat. Ever. Use a graded comic book short box. Please.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Slabbed books should be treated like vinyl records: standing up, vertically, never lay flat. Ever. Use a graded comic book short box. Please.

Ayyyyyy money myke! Welcome back. Will do kap’n 😎
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn
They make really really bad frisbees.....😎

Dinner plates??
Post 18 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
It's my belief that once a book has been slabbed and rendered unreadable it seizes to be a comic book anymore and then becomes a pure commodity based on the label assigned to it, Making the value of it more the focal point than the book and its actual contents.

The storage of 100's or 1000's of pounds of excess plastic created by slabbed books, not to mention rendering them unreadable puts them at a huge disadvantage IMHO. This is the reason the vast majority of my collection will always be raw.

That being said, I do realize the allure and need for slabbing books of significant value and or rarity, and I do maintain slabbed books in my collection. While I do have nostalgic feelings for those books I have come to the realization that they were only acquired as a commodity investment they have now become based on the labels assigned to them.

As for the issue's involved in slab storage, I am in agreement with most that vertical in storage boxes is the best option.

My slabs are stored in customized Magazine Size comic drawer boxes that I designed into my comic book cabinet. They are housed in the top 4 boxes of my "Storage wall"

Post 19 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Is that in a basement? @BigRedOne1944
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Is that in a basement? @BigRedOne1944

Yes, It is in the lower level.

I had previously post a thread on the build.

I will see if I can find the Thread.

Post 21 IP   flag post
I found the Thread

https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/2934/page/2/building-a-comic-book-cabinet-in-my-my-cave/#45
Post 22 IP   flag post
@BigRedOne1944 ahhh yes I did see it during the build. That's a lot of work, very nice. I assume you aren't near any areas that could flood? Seems like every is flooding these days.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
@BigRedOne1944 ahhh yes I did see it during the build. That's a lot of work, very nice. I assume you aren't near any areas that could flood? Seems like every is flooding these days.

Indeed some work was required here. Water is always a concern with any paper items such as books and cards, being in central Illinois and in the rual area Im located at Flooding is not too much of a concern. I have not had much of a water issue in my lower level, but just in case the cabinet was built 4 inches off the floor.

With all the incredibly destructive weather going on in many of the coastal areas Im wonder just how many collections may have perished.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@BigRedOne1944
!!!!! Wow. . . this is what I hope to achieve at some point. So are those just printed out of the comics on the front of the runs or the actual comics and are they arranged that way?? Do actual slabs fit into those too or are those your raw runs?? Very impressive sir. Once I complete a few of my runs I'm gonna give something similar a go. I'm wondering though, would it be safer to build your own shelfs??? I suppose if the wood between the levels is sturdy enough its no concern. I'll bet the measurements for just the right spacing was a PAIN!! I assume you need some pretty solid wood in between levels to prevent from caving in. The light effects are what just top it off. How long did this take???
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilesPaine
@BigRedOne1944
!!!!! Wow. . . this is what I hope to achieve at some point. So are those just printed out of the comics on the front of the runs or the actual comics and are they arranged that way?? Do actual slabs fit into those too or are those your raw runs?? Very impressive sir. Once I complete a few of my runs I'm gonna give something similar a go. I'm wondering though, would it be safer to build your own shelfs??? I suppose if the wood between the levels is sturdy enough its no concern. I'll bet the measurements for just the right spacing was a PAIN!! I assume you need some pretty solid wood in between levels to prevent from caving in. The light effects are what just top it off. How long did this take???

Thank You for the kind words.

#1 The Comic Drawer Boxes are designed so that no shelving or supports are needed in between the layers.

#2 Yes, the Books on the Drawer fronts are Photo color copies

#3 The three rows of lower drawers are regular long comic boxes for my raw books.

#4 The 4 larger Magazine size Drawer boxes on the fourth level are for Slabbed books.

#5 Its still a work in progress as I have not decided the type of shelving set up Im going to use with the space to the left.

The answers to most of your questions about the construction details can be found in the Original Thread. https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/2934/page/1/building-a-comic-book-cabinet-in-my-my-cave/

Post 26 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
@NilesPaine How about building a Fortress of Comitude?
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Once a book is read, it is finished as a book and becomes a commodity. Might as well slab it to protect it.

My slabbed books are kept standing on edge with the spine on bottom and the open end on top. in my safe (four long pull out drawers). But the excess slabbed overage (safe is full) are kept standing in a CGC slab short box.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
To @BigRedOne1944 No offense, but I've got nothing but pure jealousy. I admit it freely. Well done.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Once a book is read, it is finished as a book and becomes a commodity. Might as well slab it to protect it.

My slabbed books are kept standing on edge with the spine on bottom and the open end on top. in my safe (four long pull out drawers). But the excess slabbed overage (safe is full) are kept standing in a CGC slab short box.

I agree. I still read but rarely, save for a few runs, I go back to. Any negative effects on the spine storing them horizontal?? Seems like the book is pretty tight in there, doesn't seem like they slide around too much.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600783 45 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?