Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Sub-Mariner & Aquaman - why relatively cheap4430

Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
So both of these characters have been around a long time but except for a few issues here and there (say first 3 or so silver age appearances) they are relatively affordable (under $400) for the era.

Why is that?

Too much skin for the public to handle with Sub-Mariner??

Aquaman - not enough skin?? octopus side kick just too much?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
Aquaman was considered way too cardboard personality wise. Only during the last 25 years has he really changed and improved. If he had to deal with a problem outside a body of water he was too limited.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Subby #1 is the book to buy now, he was hinted at during the credit scene of GOTG 2.

FWIW, I sold a raw 9.0, with light oxidation along the interior cover edges for $300 off my wall at Rob Bruce's Asbury Park con like 4 years ago.

Wasn't dry cleaned or pressed but even if it was, it wouldn't have gotten above a 9.2.

Slabbed 9.2's gotta be good for at least $500 now...thats without checking GPA on that book for a couple years....buy it at shows, if you see it in any grade, at Overstreet prices😍😍

It is one of the ONLY SA Marvel keys that has signifigant room to grow.

Mum's the word on the other undervalued Marvel SA keys, because I don't have any Subby #1's 😂😂😂
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Let's face it. They are basically fish. And one of them has teeny-tiny wings on his ankles.

How lame.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Aquaman 1 has always been a hot book. I bought two grade copies and only had each for less than two months before they sold at my asking price.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Oh, and yeah....SA Aquaman keys are NOT cheap, anymore.

Even mid grade VG to VG/FN 12 and 15 centers sell out of my $10 boxes at shows, the first show that I take them to.They actually sell at/around OPG values....most run SA/BA books from Marvel and DC are worth half of what Overstreet values them at.

Superman and Action are among the worst offenders, off the top of my head

Try to get $10 for a 12 cent run issue of TTA or TOS....even if at $10, they are half of Overstreet...you'll be waiting a looong time.

Those are all $5 books, gotta price point them at around 25% of Overstreet, if you eant them to actually sell.That's how I price them.
Post 6 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
It is pretty much what @det_tobor has stated.

Pretty much by the time I was old enough to know who Aquaman was, he was more of a kid's bath time novelty than a legitimate super hero. And when they tried to make him be "edgier" for the remainder of the pre-Flashpoint era, people liked the novelty for what... His time in Justice League? I remember that nobody really bought his comics prior to the major improvements seen in the New 52.

As for the Sub-Mariner... I don't know. I heard rumors that he was a really hard character to write for, and is prone to be the worst team player ever. So I guess outside those who like tat type of character, he is also the type who needs a massive reboot if he is to obtain a bigger following.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Both of them are two dimensional characters. They're super powers are a bit lame. Extraordinary strength, talk to fish telepathically and no one really knows what they stand for, or what drives them.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user

Post 9 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
So both of these characters have been around a long time but except for a few issues here and there (say first 3 or so silver age appearances) they are relatively affordable (under $400) for the era.

Why is that?

Too much skin for the public to handle with Sub-Mariner??

Aquaman - not enough skin?? octopus side kick just too much?

They suck.
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
This.
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Let's face it. They are basically fish. And one of them has teeny-tiny wings on his ankles.

How lame.

And this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

They suck.

Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector neyko private msg quote post Address this user
Superfriends DESTROYED Aquaman's legacy. MAybe the JLA movie will save him - but as long as he look like a blond Superman he is lame.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Namor is badass. But without Susan Richards to fawn over, he is kind of pointless.
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
DC has been making Aquaman into Sub-Mariner for several years now. Looks like the Justice League movie is completing that transformation. The look, feel and attitude of Jason Momoa as Aquaman is most certainly more along the lines of ol' Subby than classic Aquaman. At least here's something DC beat Marvel to, bringing Sub-Mariner to the big screen.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
DC has been making Aquaman into Sub-Mariner for several years now. Looks like the Justice League movie is completing that transformation. The look, feel and attitude of Jason Momoa as Aquaman is most certainly more along the lines of ol' Subby than classic Aquaman. At least here's something DC beat Marvel to, bringing Sub-Mariner to the big screen.

Funny, and true.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
Namor Original art is where its at. I got a Bob McLeod page showing the origin of the Atlanteans for around $60 Awesome artwork on it too
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Tales To Astonish #70 was Sub-Mariner's first ongoing Silver Age series. I think it's undervalued. Overall though, not much happened through his span of series.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I ALMOST sold a Sub-Mariner #1 in my flash sale. It's only a 3.0, but I know I would have regretted it.
Post 18 IP   flag post
From the first 30 or so Aquaman Rebirth issues - are any of any worth? Any keys?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
Since Subby might be coming to the MCU soon, does that mean Sub-Mariner & Iron Man #1 pick up steam?
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odins_Raven
Since Subby might be coming to the MCU soon, does that mean Sub-Mariner & Iron Man #1 pick up steam?

Would be nice..I have a SS Stan at 9.0 (unpressed) - probably a casket liner though
Post 21 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
well I like the Namor character. Good thing he is not highly collected meant I picked up 90% of his TTA run in pedigrees for a good price. 9.0 cgc Boston for $100 bucks.Take off the cost of slab and it's a cheap mid 60s minor key
Post 22 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Post 23 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odins_Raven

This was the first SA comic that I submitted to CBCS that received a 9.6 grade (still waiting for a SA 9.8).

Post 24 IP   flag post
@esaravo that's a very nice copy
Post 25 IP   flag post

Post 26 IP   flag post
Only have a 9.0...maybe could press up a tick or two

got my eye on a TTA 70 @8.5 (CBCS) right now...just can't decide to pull the trigger or not

Post 27 IP   flag post
@KatKomics nice signed copy there
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

Starting to waffle on signatures...not sure I'll be getting too many more on older books

That TTA #70 of yours is quite nice too!!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

Starting to waffle on signatures...not sure I'll be getting too many more on older books
I only have one book signed by Stan Lee. a vg copy of strange tales 107. So im good for his signature

That TTA #70 of yours is quite nice too!!

I only have one stan lee sig on a strange tales 107. so I'm good.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600765 31 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?