Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

TOTALLY AWESOME HULK #224418

Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
I went and picked up a second printing of TOTALLY AWESOME HULK #22 today. Just for the fun of it I looked up the first printing on e-bay and saw that it's going for $295.00 (for a 9.8) on down. I was freakin' tickled pink (more like green)when I got home and found out I just received my mail order waiting for me. I totally forgot I had ordered 3 copies awhile back! YESSS!!! All 3 cover price

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
You are king of Hulk 22
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I haven't followed Hulk. Why is this $ 300?
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@VaComicsGuy First appearance of a new gimmick character that's basically Hulk with Wolverine's claws
Post 4 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite Thanks. I'm going out on a limb and predicting this one doesn't hold up.
Post 5 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite "Black Polybag" variant of Superman #75-level gimmick? Just checking because it feels like they created him to replace Cho as Banner's successor, before finding an excuse to bring Banner back. Kind of like DC did with those tied to "Reign of the Supermen".
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I just unloaded mine. $70 for all books in the WMD set. I felt the book had reached its peak at this point, but it sold same-day.

There is still plenty of demand out there for this.

@Instant_Subtitles not #75 gimmick, this one caught everyone by surprise. Low-ish circulation as well. Some folks may be right though, in that they may just kill it off. After all this hype and values skyrocketing, that would just be hilarious 🤣
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector NilesPaine private msg quote post Address this user
I sort of followed his story into the Weapon X series. He seems to be a soldier with some PTSD and has no recall of how or why he was used for the Weapon H experiment and he’s still figuring out who he is. Not Marvels best but waaayyyyyyyyyy better than whats been coming out of that factory. Be a shame if they did kill him off honestly.
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah I would love to see them kill Batch H after all
These people propped it up.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Zombiebigfoot private msg quote post Address this user
I wonder if they'll keep him around for some of the Legacy titles. You could have some more interesting team-ups trying to stop his wake of destruction! Who knows, maybe they will just kill him off or put him on ice for later use. Time'll tell...
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilesPaine
I sort of followed his story into the Weapon X series. He seems to be a soldier with some PTSD and has no recall of how or why he was used for the Weapon H experiment and he’s still figuring out who he is. Not Marvels best but waaayyyyyyyyyy better than whats been coming out of that factory. Be a shame if they did kill him off honestly.

Sounds like deja vu in that it's somewhat similar to Wolverine's story, isn't it?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Lot of haters here...give hulkerine a chance!

I have the set, but haven't read it yet. So I'm waiting to pass judgement. Marvel hasn't impressed me much lately, so I'm already coming in with low expectations.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Hopefully they make a clone of the clone but instead its a she-hulk with claws in her feet. Omg that would be so original
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Lot of haters here...give hulkerine a chance!

I have the set, but haven't read it yet. So I'm waiting to pass judgement. Marvel hasn't impressed me much lately, so I'm already coming in with low expectations.

https://youtu.be/4uU8td457KQ
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
A eBay seller sold 2 out of his 3 CGC SS Greg Pak pre-sale 9.8 slabs at $300 or best offer....he dropped the price on his last CGC SS Greg Pak to $295.

I sold 2 CGC 9.8 Universal pre sales at $225 per slab, plus insured shipping.

I sold a raw but guaranteed CGC /CBCS 9.8 in auction a couple weeks back...the buyer said he wanted me to have it graded onsite at Baltimore (actually, I offered at no charge, except the $30 CGC grading fee.)....the less hands that touch my raw books, the better I feel.

I have a total of 4 copies left, they will be getting graded onsite later today.

Looks like I'll be up all damn night, pressing these books, and some other moderns for CGC onsite... to safeguard against 9.6's....I paid an average of $40 a copy for these TAH 22's....got Preacher 1's...2 of them...SDCC #2 (1st Hellyboy, Hughes Chairwoman covers....etc.

I'm subbing a small stack of silver age to CBCS...some of them I already spent the requisite hour n change to dry clean...only two of them, I dry cleaned and pressed.

Gonna have CBCS press most of the silver books....Two Gun Kid 60 pence variant....a mid grade copy of Archive's Pals 'N Gals #23...(btw, saved Ricketts the dry cleaning time on those😉.....I still don't understand how the eff CBCS dry cleaned and presses silver books so cheaply.

I'd never put thst kind of work into a book for under $50...

@SteveRicketts, I reckon y'all should raise your pressing rates, pardner🤠

Back to the topic at hand, Totally Awesome Hulk #22 1st Prints...raws , described as VF/NM to NM, with just a pic of the book in a .15 cent polybag and backing board combo from very low feedback sellers are averaging $40 a pop...

OTOH,a few of 100% positive feedback comic dealers on eBay, "Top Rated" status ranked by eBay, with thousands of + feedbacks.....[b]using STOCK IMAGES OF THE FRONT COVER ONLY......with only "NM Unread" stated as the condition...are selling at around $60-$80 via BIN's.

Once actual 9.8 slabs hit the market, not just pre-sales because a lot of buyers want to see the book in a 9.8 slab....I think they will sell briskly at $250-$300...

Possibly more....considering the initial 1-2 week speculator hype has died down, it is trending back up again.

Ask any comic shop owner how lightly he orders this title....add in the fact there is are no variants to chase...a popular hybrid of 2 Marvel characters....presto, low supply meets high demand.

I think this book will be tougher in 9.8 than most suspect, as well

The dark grey/black spine makes for a fine recipe for color breaking spine ticks.

9.6's will still fetch 40-50% of what 9.8's go for, though.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine
Yeah I would love to see them kill Batch H after all
These people propped it up.

Of course you would, they used your DNA to make um! 😎
Post 16 IP   flag post
@CopperAgeKids So if you have two groups of Totally Awesome Hulk's, would they be called TAH TAH's? No, maybe not. Anyway, nice market report, thanks
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Possibly more....considering the initial 1-2 week speculator hype has died down, it is trending back up again.

Isn't the speculation continuing, and that's what's driving the price? Or was a select group of people hyping this up?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs

Isn't the speculation continuing, and that's what's driving the price? Or was a select group of people hyping this up?

Speculation or not, it is still commanding a premium price. There's no disputing that.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@OGJackster, yes, which brings me back to the question: why? I presume only time will tell.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
I see that certified copies have finally started appearing on eBay.

Post 21 IP   flag post
One sold at $200...three others sit at $200-$259. Reminds me of batman 24...I believe the first 9.8 sold for $125 or so....now they can be had for below $50. I suspect this will be a $100 book (9.8) within a couple months as eBay becomes swamped with them.
Post 22 IP   flag post
I wanna say this guy has cooled off finally. Seeing bids not really breaking the $30 mark anymore. Though we'll see how the slabbed ones do!
Post 23 IP   flag post
The true first appearance, only 9.8 on ebay right now, and in auction format. Watching this...

https://www.ebay.com/i/302466024556

Seller should have included the number 22 in the title. It being the only one on ebay and (I think) te first one to show up, the spam is warranted.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
The true first appearance, only 9.8 on ebay right now, and in auction format. Watching this...

https://www.ebay.com/i/302466024556

The CGC label on #21 indicates "1st Cameo Appearance Of Weapon H" while the CGC labels on #22 indicates "1st Full Appearance Of Weapon H".
Post 25 IP   flag post
@CopperAgeKids thats the way it seems. He was still human here as well, so I do agree with the #22 getting the 1st full and price bump. (I posted this in another thread we had a while back)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
I just read the story. First appearance of H-alpha is taHulk #21.

Cameo i guess? Idk. But here he is.

Post 26 IP   flag post
Was it just flashbacks that cbcs didn't recognize as first appearances, or were cameos also excluded from the notation as well. Gues I should look at a hulk 180 graded by cbcs...

Not sure when an issue gets labeled as a cameo vs. full appearance. Both cbcs and cgc just note Batman 357 as Jason Todd's first appearance although it's only one small corner cell on one page. I think he continues to have cameos for several issues so not sure what would qualify as his first "full" appearance, anyway.
Post 27 IP   flag post
TAG #21 has the character shown on the final page only, while still in human form.

The character is shown as undergoing the surgical procedure of becoming Weapon H, on that last page.

The cover of #21 also selects the character on the operating table, about to be transformed into Weapon H.

Weapon H is shown in full form, on the cover of #22, and throughout the book, as Weapon H.

I bet the CGC 9.8 slab, of #21, in auction now, will fetch around $200.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

$200? For the "cameo"? That seems high. I would be surprised if it goes for much more than $50 bucks.

I agree with your reasoning, though, of why #22 is considered the "first" appearance. I think the market is right on that one. Now if we could only go back and fix the Darkseid junk.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:

$200? For the "cameo"? That seems high. I would be surprised if it goes for much more than $50 bucks.

I agree with your reasoning, though, of why #22 is considered the "first" appearance. I think the market is right on that one. Now if we could only go back and fix the Darkseid junk.

1st cameo/1st partial app....only CGC 9.8....(no CBCS 9.8's graded yet, either).... on eBay no..... & the book already has 22 watchers on it & it hasn't even been on eBay for 24 hours yet.

IMHO, the seller shoulda put it up at $250 BIN + priority insured shipping and I'd BET that with it being the 1st to market, it would have sold within no more than 48 hours, probably under 24 hours.
Post 30 IP   flag post
598061 42 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?