CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despain
I don't understand how a tamper evident label makes any difference

I’ve wondered the same thing, I don't really see how it does. If the case isn't tamper evident, someone can just swap the book instead of the label.

Exactly. I was lying in bed the other night, and that just popped in my head. It seems that after the case is snapped closed it would be difficult to tell if the Mylar had been tampered with. And like King Nampa said, if someone had a heat seal tool, it would be almost impossible. I guess it just bugs me that the outer case can be opened and put back without evidence of tampering because that can quite possibly lead to swapping out the book without anyone noticing if done right.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Gaz973 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I’ve wondered the same thing, I don't really see how it does. If the case isn't tamper evident, someone can just swap the book instead of the label.

Exactly. I was lying in bed the other night, and that just popped in my head. It seems that after the case is snapped closed it would be difficult to tell if the Mylar had been tampered with. And like King Nampa said, if someone had a heat seal tool, it would be almost impossible. I guess it just bugs me that the outer case can be opened and put back without evidence of tampering because that can quite possibly lead to swapping out the book without anyone noticing if done right.

I asked the question about whether the cases had been made more tamper proof further up the page and I assume that the lack of reply from Steve or any other CBCS rep means that they haven't. As a CBCS dealer in the UK, I was asking the question on behalf of customers who had posed the question to me.

Between this issue and the huge turnaround times which reflect badly on me to my customers, I'm thinking of temporarily suspending my submissions to CBCS until things hopefully improve.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz973
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I asked the question about whether the cases had been made more tamper proof further up the page and I assume that the lack of reply from Steve or any other CBCS rep means that they haven't. As a CBCS dealer in the UK, I was asking the question on behalf of customers who had posed the question to me.

Between this issue and the huge turnaround times which reflect badly on me to my customers, I'm thinking of temporarily suspending my submissions to CBCS until things hopefully improve.

I am sure that you know well the extra time for shipments being an overseas account, that and customs etc to deal with. Hopefully your books arrive in good shape after all of this.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Discussions like this just....make me shake my head.

Collectors, enthusiasts and dealers here can spot the tiniest flaws on a book. But there seems to be some question if they could see a seven inch cut across the top of the inner holder on a slabbed comic. Then speculation about heat sealing it. Come on. Can you see the edges of the inner holder? You will notice it EASILY if they heat seal it. If it's neat cut you might have to actually look closely. Don't you normally look closely at the collectible comics you just spent money on?

While for some it is obviously counter-intuitive, you actually want to be able to open the outer holder on an encapsulated book without risking damage to the comic inside. Take a look at the fine print on a CGC resubmission of an already CGC graded book. Essentially you acknowledge that the holder is extremely difficult to open and that you accept there is a significant chance of the book being damaged when being removed from said holder. Does that actually sound acceptable? There is no such legalese with a CBCS submission. Because their holder can be safely opened.

Here is the relevant passage...

8)"......Customer agrees to release, waive and discharge Company and it's affiliates and each of its and their directors, officer and agents.....from all liability...and covenants not to sue any releases with regard to any and all loss of damage arising out the Company's efforts to fulfill customers request to remove the Collectible from the holder.....it being understood that the holder is designed to be tamper-evident and the to make removal of the collectible from the holder extremely difficult and that there is a significant inherent risk in any attempt to remove a collectible from a holder."

If you want your books in a vault, buy a vault. Otherwise professional grading and encapsulation with plastics is intended to be much better than plastic bags and boards. But never perfect. There are trade offs. IMHO CBCS has made good choices. CGC has made good choices. Choices are great for the consumer.
Post 54 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@IronMan nobody is saying that CGC’s new case is superior; because by far, it is NOT. Between the newton rings and fully sealed edges, putting one of my books in there just plain scares me. 🤯

The discussion at hand, is that CBCS does not have a secure slab (outer shell). You seem to think they dont need one, ok. We may disagree there, but I do respect your opinions and we could just go in circles on that.

The real issue, comes down to resale. Buyers need confidence in a secure slab, and they always will. Whether or not they should care, is a different story.
Post 55 IP   flag post

I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Things were quiet for 2 months on this topic. CBCS showed the heat seal on the label and several on this thread gave kudos; and it went quiet.

And now ......... one has a concern; another jumps on ... then another... and here we are again.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Things were quiet for 2 months on this topic. CBCS showed the heat seal on the label and several on this thread gave kudos; and it went quiet.

And now ......... one has a concern; another jumps on ... then another... and here we are again.

I don't post on the forum as much as I used to, but I still collect comics including those graded and slabbed by CBCS. I did not, nor have I ever posted on here simply to stir up controversy.

I don't always think of everything about a subject, for example slab security, at one time. Sometimes it takes a while for ideas or concerns to pop into my head. That's why two months went by before I revived the thread because I had not thought of my question two months earlier. Am I not allowed to ask questions?
Post 57 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
@Despain certainly you should. My statement was in no way directed at your post but at the general practice I often witness.
These threads go into concern --> paranoia --> pitchforks (not just this topic but anything).
Post 58 IP   flag post
@Nuffsaid111 It's all good. Happy New Year to you! 🍺
Post 59 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
If I recall correctly, CBCS has stated that the cases are not and will not be tamper-proof. What they have done is takes steps to make the overall product more temper-evident.

What we all individually have to decide is whether this is good enough for ourselves.

Since I personally don't slab my comics to sell, this is not an issue for me, so I'll continue to use CBCS.

If this is an issue that you just can't get past. Or if you re-sell slabbed books and feel that it hurts your profits. Of for whatever reason you have. And you decide to not use CBCS, then I will respect your decision.
Post 60 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

The real issue, comes down to resale. Buyers need confidence in a secure slab, and they always will. Whether or not they should care, is a different story.

I think this just about sums it up.
Post 61 IP   flag post
598088 61 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?