Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome. i think that great and welcomed,my comics feel a lot safer.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector ComicHaulics private msg quote post Address this user
Great idea! Like others have said, simple yet effective!
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I covered this update on the podcast last night. I wanted to make sure this information got out
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
@JLS_Comics What's the name of the podcast?
Post 29 IP   flag post
@Lonestar It is called Comiconversation. Normally I would say just search JLS Comics on iTunes but I have to renew my rss host subscription. Right now, we're just doing a live vidcast on YouTube
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you for the update. Great solution.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
That is great that shield is more then just a shiny decal, now it actually is a security feature. That is a A+ on your part CBCS.

One more thing are you guys looking at anything for the outer shell also?

The CBCS outer shell, with the addition of the CGC's revised label, is NOT a security issue.

Please refer to post #17 by Iron Man, in the thread below, which addresses the substance of your concern,

Iron Man is Tony Starks, of Comics In A Flash, for those who did not know that. He knows this business, inside and out.

https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/4188/page/12/ebay-buyer-accuses-me-of-switching-labels/
Post 32 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
That is great that shield is more then just a shiny decal, now it actually is a security feature. That is a A+ on your part CBCS.

The CBCS outer shell, with the addition of the CGC's revised label, is NOT a security issue.

Please refer to post #17 by Iron Man, in the thread below, which addresses the substance of your concern,

Iron Man is Tony Starks, of Comics In A Flash, for those who did not know that. He knows this business, inside and out.

https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/4188/page/12/ebay-buyer-accuses-me-of-switching-labels/
Just so you understand the outer shell can be opened with a bottle opener and can be closed back up by putting it on a solid flat surface and hitting it with the palm of your hand. How is that a good thing that someone can get the pliable inner well in their hands to do with as they will? Then they can close it back up with no signs of it ever being opened.

Even CBCS says the outer shell is tamper evident but it is NOT.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:

Really?

I mean, heat seals on labels are all well and good, but to me the real problem here has still not been addressed. And that is that the CBCS holder can be opened and snapped shut repeatedly with no evidence visible at all.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertofredrico
I mean, heat seals on labels are all well and good, but to me the real problem here has still not been addressed. And that is that the CBCS holder can be opened and snapped shut repeatedly with no evidence visible at all.

This issue is irrelevant since neither the label or book can be changed without obvious signs of tampering, which is why they've made this change.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Curmudgeon
Quote:

This issue is irrelevant since neither the label or book can be changed without obvious signs of tampering, which is why they've made this change.
So I guess CBCS just needs to update the website
that the out shell is Not tamper evident.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed. With this security measure in place, I don't see any issue moving forward since label swaps will be virtually impossible to pull off without damaging the labels.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So I guess CBCS just needs to update the website
that the out shell is Not tamper evident.

No, that would be an oxymoron.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector Gaz973 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
We appreciate the feedback and concern that has been raised about the security of the CBCS slab. While we cannot prevent nefarious individuals from attempting to defraud people, we can certainly make it as hard as possible for them to do so.

Over the last few weeks we have been testing different ideas to arrive at the best solution. Our goal was to prevent the CBCS label from being removed without showing obvious signs of damage. This would eliminate the ability for labels to be switched. We have determined that the answer lies in the holofoil CBCS logo.

Effective immediately, CBCS will be placing a seal through the holofoil CBCS logo. The reason for this is that when the label is removed, it will peel off a portion of the CBCS logo making the tampering extremely obvious.

As always, we thank you all for your support of CBCS.

An image of the new seal is below...

Steve, really pleased to see that the label has been modified to combat potential tampering. Has the case been altered at all to prevent the opening and closing of it that was demonstrated on the recent videos?
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos
Thanks Steve! Any chance we could see an example of one that has been tampered with? For science

I will as soon as I get back in the office on Tuesday. I'm in Baltimore until then.

Hi Steve. Could we please see an example of what a tampered label looks like with the redesign?
Post 40 IP   flag post
wrong thread wanted to post this in the TAT thread
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
@Lonestar It is called Comiconversation. Normally I would say just search JLS Comics on iTunes but I have to renew my rss host subscription. Right now, we're just doing a live vidcast on YouTube

Off topic, yes, but just wanted to follow up and say that episodes are now available on iTunes
Post 42 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
I remember someone asking for me to post an image of what the label looks like when you remove it after we've made the seal change. Sorry this took so long. We have so many things going on it slipped my mind.

Post 43 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Does it exhibit any damage to the back side?

While it is nice to see CBCS taking steps to address security concerns, Im not sure those labels are exhibiting enough damage that they couldn't still be doctored. Which does still make the issue of opening and closing the outer shell an issue to me personally.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Collector cbj102 private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think anything is a 100% - but this goes a long way to ease everyone's mind. By and large security isn't that much of an issue IMHO.
Post 45 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbj102
I don't think anything is a 100% - but this goes a long way to ease everyone's mind. By and large security isn't that much of an issue IMHO.

Maybe not on all of the new modern books, But if Im shelling out serious dough for High dollar Golden and Silver Age Keys.... You better believe Security is First and Foremost on my mind.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
Something I was wondering about since the case can be opened without evidence, the label issue seems to be mostly resolved.

Though I was wondering if the comic itself can be carefully removed from the inner Mylar by cutting it free very precisely along the edge of the Mylar then sliding a lesser copy (lower grade) into the Mylar before returning it to the inner well and snapping the outer shell closed. If that can be done without evidence, I don't understand how a tamper evident label makes any difference.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@Despain Theoretically it's possible. If they have a heat sealer to reseal the mylar. I examine all the ebay CBCS comics I buy closely now for label swaps and mylar cuts. Should be able to notice it.
Post 48 IP   flag post
@KingNampa That makes sense. Thanks for the response.
Post 49 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despain
I don't understand how a tamper evident label makes any difference

I’ve wondered the same thing, I don't really see how it does. If the case isn't tamper evident, someone can just swap the book instead of the label.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:

I’ve wondered the same thing, I don't really see how it does. If the case isn't tamper evident, someone can just swap the book instead of the label.

Exactly. I was lying in bed the other night, and that just popped in my head. It seems that after the case is snapped closed it would be difficult to tell if the Mylar had been tampered with. And like King Nampa said, if someone had a heat seal tool, it would be almost impossible. I guess it just bugs me that the outer case can be opened and put back without evidence of tampering because that can quite possibly lead to swapping out the book without anyone noticing if done right.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Gaz973 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly. I was lying in bed the other night, and that just popped in my head. It seems that after the case is snapped closed it would be difficult to tell if the Mylar had been tampered with. And like King Nampa said, if someone had a heat seal tool, it would be almost impossible. I guess it just bugs me that the outer case can be opened and put back without evidence of tampering because that can quite possibly lead to swapping out the book without anyone noticing if done right.

I asked the question about whether the cases had been made more tamper proof further up the page and I assume that the lack of reply from Steve or any other CBCS rep means that they haven't. As a CBCS dealer in the UK, I was asking the question on behalf of customers who had posed the question to me.

Between this issue and the huge turnaround times which reflect badly on me to my customers, I'm thinking of temporarily suspending my submissions to CBCS until things hopefully improve.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz973
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I asked the question about whether the cases had been made more tamper proof further up the page and I assume that the lack of reply from Steve or any other CBCS rep means that they haven't. As a CBCS dealer in the UK, I was asking the question on behalf of customers who had posed the question to me.

Between this issue and the huge turnaround times which reflect badly on me to my customers, I'm thinking of temporarily suspending my submissions to CBCS until things hopefully improve.

I am sure that you know well the extra time for shipments being an overseas account, that and customs etc to deal with. Hopefully your books arrive in good shape after all of this.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Discussions like this just....make me shake my head.

Collectors, enthusiasts and dealers here can spot the tiniest flaws on a book. But there seems to be some question if they could see a seven inch cut across the top of the inner holder on a slabbed comic. Then speculation about heat sealing it. Come on. Can you see the edges of the inner holder? You will notice it EASILY if they heat seal it. If it's neat cut you might have to actually look closely. Don't you normally look closely at the collectible comics you just spent money on?

While for some it is obviously counter-intuitive, you actually want to be able to open the outer holder on an encapsulated book without risking damage to the comic inside. Take a look at the fine print on a CGC resubmission of an already CGC graded book. Essentially you acknowledge that the holder is extremely difficult to open and that you accept there is a significant chance of the book being damaged when being removed from said holder. Does that actually sound acceptable? There is no such legalese with a CBCS submission. Because their holder can be safely opened.

Here is the relevant passage...

8)"......Customer agrees to release, waive and discharge Company and it's affiliates and each of its and their directors, officer and agents.....from all liability...and covenants not to sue any releases with regard to any and all loss of damage arising out the Company's efforts to fulfill customers request to remove the Collectible from the holder.....it being understood that the holder is designed to be tamper-evident and the to make removal of the collectible from the holder extremely difficult and that there is a significant inherent risk in any attempt to remove a collectible from a holder."

If you want your books in a vault, buy a vault. Otherwise professional grading and encapsulation with plastics is intended to be much better than plastic bags and boards. But never perfect. There are trade offs. IMHO CBCS has made good choices. CGC has made good choices. Choices are great for the consumer.
Post 54 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@IronMan nobody is saying that CGC’s new case is superior; because by far, it is NOT. Between the newton rings and fully sealed edges, putting one of my books in there just plain scares me. 🤯

The discussion at hand, is that CBCS does not have a secure slab (outer shell). You seem to think they dont need one, ok. We may disagree there, but I do respect your opinions and we could just go in circles on that.

The real issue, comes down to resale. Buyers need confidence in a secure slab, and they always will. Whether or not they should care, is a different story.
Post 55 IP   flag post
598104 61 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?