Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
BURGER KING 1988

KFC/PIZZA HUT/TACO BELL STAR WARS EPISODE 1 "YODA" 1999

Post 26 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
ARGH! I CAN'T FIND MY STAR WARS PEZ DISPENSERS

Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user

Anyone remember these? I believe there were also darth Vader, Luke sky walker and c3p0 candles as well.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
Here are a few fun promo things I had at hand in the comic room.

Death Promotional Postcards and Standee from 1993

Retailer Poster for "Gothic" the second Legends of the Dark Knight arc.

The whole rainbow of Lantern rings and Barry's for good measure.

Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio

This came with a plastic bank in the form of Keaton's upper body, like shown in the pic...I might still have it somewhere...

I think I remember that.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
ARGH! I CAN'T FIND MY STAR WARS PEZ DISPENSERS

I bought a whole Star Wars Pez display stocked full through Diamond when they first came out. I'm still eating the 10 year old candy occasionally.
Post 31 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user

mm
Post 32 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I once had this 45. Seeing it on eBay reminded me of it. Just thought a picture of it belonged here.

Post 33 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
This book was included in the BARNES & NOBLE Classic MARVEL
SUPER HEROES Collector's Edition of four statues...CAPTAIN AMERICA,
THE HULK, WOLVERINE and SPIDER-MAN.

mm
Post 34 IP   flag post
Statues aren't unusual, but this is unusual to me because it's coated in real silver.
Post 35 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure why I kept them, but here's a few catalogs from 1982 and 1984.

Post 36 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
How about an un-opened Superman puzzle from 1983?

Post 37 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Statues aren't unusual, but this is unusual to me because it's coated in real silver.

Ooooo shiny ...I want
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo

Now THOSE are AWESOME!

If you ever don't want them, please let me know. I'd love to add to my research library!
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
How about an un-opened Superman puzzle from 1983?

Is that Byrne...? It looks like Byrne and Swan...but...Byrne Supes, in 1983...?

That would be very cool.
Post 40 IP   flag post
@DocBrown - I actually think it's Adams. The Curt Swan /Murphy Anderson supes from that time looked different, thicker and even more muscular, in my opinion.

Here's the info from the side of the box.

Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:

Now THOSE are AWESOME!

If you ever don't want them, please let me know. I'd love to add to my research library!

Send me a PM with your address and they are yours. I just wish I could still buy an Avengers #4 NM for $110, Daredevil #1 NM for $150, Hulk #181 for $18, Iron Man #55 for $4, and Iron Fist #14 for $2.50!
Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
@DocBrown - I actually think it's Adams. The Curt Swan /Murphy Anderson supes from that time looked different, thicker and even more muscular, in my opinion.(snip)

It looks more like John Byrne art to me.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
@DocBrown - I actually think it's Adams. The Curt Swan /Murphy Anderson supes from that time looked different, thicker and even more muscular, in my opinion.

Yeah, it looks like it could be Adams. The face is not Byrne, but the rest of it...well, here, here's a shot from Byrne:

The face wasn't quite right, which is why I thought it might be Swan inks...but I think you're right, it looks like Adams.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
@DocBrown - I actually think it's Adams. The Curt Swan /Murphy Anderson supes from that time looked different, thicker and even more muscular, in my opinion.(snip)

Yeah, there's something distinctly Byrneish in the feel of the piece...mostly in the anatomical perspective, I think. Maybe inks...?

I can't say for sure, though. It's a great piece, and I would love to own it. It appears to be a painted piece. I wonder if it still exists?
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, it looks like it could be Adams. The face is not Byrne, but the rest of it...well, here, here's a shot from Byrne:

The face wasn't quite right, which is why I thought it might be Swan inks...but I think you're right, it looks like Adams.

I've got a crapload of stuff by Neal Adams and I don't see anything that looks like Adams art in that image. Byrne's art has changed. He goes with standard expressions sometimes. There used to be more variety in his style back then. The rocks are what really look like Byrne art to me. It could be someone who was copying Byrne's style back then.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Quote:

I've got a crapload of stuff by Neal Adams and I don't see anything that looks like Adams art in that image. Byrne's art has changed. He goes with standard expressions sometimes. There used to be more variety in his style back then. The rocks are what really look like Byrne art to me. It could be someone who was copying Byrne's style back then.

Yeah, I tend to agree with you, especially about the rocks. But, I do see Adams in the face:

Post 47 IP   flag post
The chin is too wide in my opinion. I was looking up Giffen art from that time period. Couldn't find any images to compare. The inking makes it look generic. Keep in mind that a lot of the big name artists worked for Neal Adams over the years. They would have picked up some of his style, but I'm not seeing it here.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Giffen was very distinct, even in the early 80s. Remember when he was a "hot new artist"...? That lasted for all of 20 minutes. I love Giffen's blocky art, even the modern stuff. Some of my most favorite work of all time is his run on Legion from the 1989 series. The first 40 or so issues were just some of the best of the period, and get no love.

Legion #287 was a "hot book" at one point, if you can believe it.

Sigh...gone are the days of the hot artists....hopefully not forever. When a Byrne drawn issue was worth 10 times a surrounding issue. Now...pffft. If it's not a first appearance, TRASH!

Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
Giffen was very distinct, even in the early 80s. Remember when he was a "hot new artist"...? That lasted for all of 20 minutes. I love Giffen's blocky art, even the modern stuff.

Sigh...gone are the days of the hot artists....hopefully not forever. When a Byrne drawn issue was worth 10 times a surrounding issue. Now...pffft. If it's not a first appearance, TRASH!

I think Giffen started on Defenders. His art had more of a Kirby feel to it. By the time he was doing Legion and Lobo's first appearance, it was a lot cleaner style. I'm sure the inking made all the difference in the world. This does look like Swan or Win Mortimer influence is present. It may have been a Western Publishing artist. Artist can draw in different styles.
Post 50 IP   flag post
As a side note, Neal Adams draws (or did draw) like Tom Scheuer who is best know as being a writer for Murder She Wrote on television. He uses the pen name Thomas B. Sawyer.

http://todaysinspiration.blogspot.com/2008/04/comic-strip-ad-artist-tom-scheuer.html

http://thomasbsawyer.com/
Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Giffen was very distinct, even in the early 80s. Remember when he was a "hot new artist"...? That lasted for all of 20 minutes. I love Giffen's blocky art, even the modern stuff.

I think Giffen started on Defenders. His art had more of a Kirby feel to it. By the time he was doing Legion and Lobo's first appearance, it was a lot cleaner style. I'm sure the inking made all the difference in the world. This does look like Swan or Win Mortimer influence is present. It may have been a Western Publishing artist. Artist can draw in different styles.

Yes, Giffen's first published work was Marvel Preview #4 (Jan 76 cover date.)

He worked at Marvel for a few years, most notably on Defenders, where he co-created...Lunatik!...who bore an interesting resemblance to....well, I'll leave it a mystery for now...

By the time he reached Legion in 1982, his art had developed his familiar blocky style...frankly, I preferred that look in Legion from 1982-1984 to his later stuff...but I still love his later stuff, too, especially Legion #1-20ish (1989.)

Speaking of unusual comic related items, I have these two:

(not my pics)

Comic beer!
Post 52 IP   flag post
I have Armstrong Ale, but no box and no card.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

I posted on Byrne's site asking if it was his work. It doesn't look like his work to me ( or Adams for that matter ), but sometimes if you get a certain type of inker, they can take away a lot that's normally recognizable from a penciler.

One of Byrne's first Marvel jobs was in Giant Size Dracula #5 and as inked by Rudy Nebres it is virtually unrecognizable as Byrne art.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

I posted on Byrne's site asking if it was his work. It doesn't look like his work to me ( or Adams for that matter ), but sometimes if you get a certain type of inker, they can take away a lot that's normally recognizable from a penciler.

One of Byrne's first Marvel jobs was in Giant Size Dracula #5 and as inked by Rudy Nebres it is virtually unrecognizable as Byrne art.

Direct from John Byrne: "no, that is not my work"
Post 55 IP   flag post
600811 71 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?