Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeQuestions

Turn Around Times?4364

Collector DavidM private msg quote post Address this user
I'm hoping that some people here post when they receive their comics, when they submitted them, and what level of service they ordered. This way we have some time frame to apply to our submittals.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
"Would you like to be known for meeting expectations. Or, your ability to use disclaimers?"

I have a feeling our expectations are vastly different. 'Quickness' doesn't factor very heavily into my expectations.
Post 77 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM
I'm hoping that some people here post when they receive their comics, when they submitted them, and what level of service they ordered. This way we have some time frame to apply to our submittals.

Subbed 6/10 modern and consumer delivered back last friday

Subbed 6/10 modern, consumer, expanded, and reholders, currently in grading. One of my expanded has a tricky request, so that may be holding me up

Subbed 8/18 modern and consumer, no movement yet

However, with the hurricane and all, I would expect linger TAT for stuff subbed after mine (official TAT update from Steve just posted at top of forum as well)
Post 78 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatchaman
CBCS needs evaluate what percentage of return customers they have of the ones that they are making wait six months for their order. Their non caring attitude already exposes what kind of customer service they have.

I have seen here and other places that people are NOT happy with how they are handling things. I have also seen where they will remove bad reviews to keep from bad attention rather than fix the problems.

Once again, I have offered to help you. You continue to ignore me and not acknowledge that help.
Where is the bad customer service here?
Post 79 IP   flag post
Collector chadpdodge private msg quote post Address this user
Update 9-27-17
Today I talked w/ CBCS Customer Service and they were very helpful.

1st submission processed May 18th:
Modern & pressing. I was told they are doing early May submissions for pressing now. Once finished in pressing, will be moved along to grading/etc.

2nd submission processed June 5th:
Has begun the grading & encapsulation phase.

I received some helpful info here in this forum. However, I received an overwhelming amount of negative responses. When all I was looking for was how long it was taking others to receive their books. If we start updating how our submissions are moving along this thread can be very helpful to others. Furthermore, if we have infighting, bickering and negativity it does us no good!
Regards
Chad
Post 80 IP   flag post

Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
There is a saying that has been around long before CBCS even existed (obviously in reference to the other guys but holds just as true with CBCS):

Submit it and forget it!

In all reality, the service you are paying for is the grading, not the exact amount of weeks from when your book leaves your hands to when its back in your hands. Obviously we all would like our books back as fast as possible but when you have literally thousands of books per week coming in, those TAT's are going to vary...and thats not even including multiple acts of god getting in the way. And everyone is always quick to jump on the "hire more people" train but you can't really just hire a professional grader off the street. In the same regard, you can't just hire temps when con season rolls around.

I'm not posting this to say that people complaining are right or wrong in any way, I fully understand the frustration; but just trying to show some perspective. TAT's at both companies will always fluctuate and I guarantee, there will be a point in the future where CBCS is blazing fast and the competitor is behind...its been swaying back and forth like that for years.
Post 81 IP   flag post
Collector Revelations private msg quote post Address this user
@RyanHicks

Look how many cons are running every year now. It's almost non-stop except for December/January when people are trying to recover from the holidays.

At this point, there's no forseeable reason for cbcs to not hire an apprentice to be part of their geading/encapsulation process. 4 months for moderns? Even before the hurricane, it was 3 months. I don't ever see cbcs catching up or surpassing cgc's turn around times. Unless they do something different, like hire, i don't see how they will get back to a 4 week TAT. Although I'm always hoping.
Post 82 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations
@RyanHicks

Look how many cons are running every year now. It's almost non-stop except for December/January when people are trying to recover from the holidays.

At this point, there's no forseeable reason for cbcs to not hire an apprentice to be part of their geading/encapsulation process. 4 months for moderns? Even before the hurricane, it was 3 months. I don't ever see cbcs catching up or surpassing cgc's turn around times. Unless they do something different, like hire, i don't see how they will get back to a 4 week TAT. Although I'm always hoping.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if CBCS is training a future grader or looking for a grader or two as we speak; I was mainly just trying to point out that its not like they can just post an ad for a comic grader whenever they get backed up
Post 83 IP   flag post
I don't think anyone is expecting them to hire an experienced grader off the street. It should be within their means to hire an apprentice at a couple bucks above minimum wage though.
Post 84 IP   flag post
Quote:
I don't think anyone is expecting them to hire an experienced grader off the street. It should be within their means to hire an apprentice at a couple bucks above minimum wage though.

No offense, but I think you might be oversimplifying what it would take to hire a grader (or even an apprentice). Keep in mind, these guys/girls would have the potential to, not only have access to, but page through books from $1 in value to $1 million plus in value which means they likely would require some sort of reputation in the industry: A) for trust and B) for reliability and accuracy. I very highly doubt the graders make a few dollars over minimum wage. Plus a lot of people that would have the type of reputation and knowledge required to be a grader are likely collectors themselves...my understanding is, if you work for any of these grading companies, your ability to collect becomes severely limited due to conflict of interests (or at least perceived conflict of interest) which would then deter a lot of potential candidates from even wanting the job in the first place.
Post 85 IP   flag post
It sounds like you're making a lot of assumptions. No offense. Why would cbcs allow an apprentice grader to page through high end books? I think you're being overly concerned. That would be like letting an apprentice mechanic work on a bugatti. Like any industry, you would start them small and allow them to build up your confidence in them.

As far as conflict of interest, I don't see one. I'm pretty darn sure Steve Borock has a collection that would put most of our collections to shame.

As far as wage is concerned, I threw a number out there. I have no idea how much a professional grader would make, but you seem to think that they would need to pay an apprentice the same as a pro. Why would you pay anyone who has no experience more than a few bucks over minimum wage?
Post 86 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Instant_Subtitles
Quote:
My books were shipped there in May, sat there for 1.5 weeks, and still NOTHING has been done with them, at all. I am now told that they will be done in 6-8 weeks. A local store sent these in and some were to be pressed. Nobody said anything about the pressed ones taking this long and holding up the rest of the order. They grade them all at once.

A store told me that they were warned about using this service. It's a no wonder why they were warned.

This does not encourage me to get books graded ever again.

Bonus points on being a 'Science Ninja Team' fan.

But overall, you need to remember that CBCS resides in Florida. Which was hit with a major storm, is trying to get operations as much back to normal as possible, and do have paid orders that require the same services as you have paid for. Stuff that your comic shop has failed to mention to you.

Your comic shop is not going to tell you things they do not know about. They do not have a complete list of who paid for what services, or what post-storm related issues that both CBCS and CGC are facing. Including those who are hired to press your comics, grade your comics, put your comics in archival wells, and finalize all of this with their slabs.

So all I can point out is that both CGC and CBCS are both in the general area of Florida that got hit hard. If you have a problem with them not being able to meet your schedule after everything they have faced, then you either have a problem or need to find something new to do.

As for your comic shop... I don't know. The LCS I am shifting to has a client that used to grade for CGC, and now wants to grade for CBCS. He had high praise for the fact they maintain their need to be consistent at how things are graded. And that is good enough for me to have my 14 year old comic that has no price guide listing and is virtually impossible to be replaced be graded by them.

And as for you... Remember that even Yoda told Luke to be patient when it comes to his own scenario. Because impatience leads to one making bad decisions. And in this case, you are relying on the word of a comic shop and not trusting CBCS just because you are choosing to be impatient.

So do yourself a favor and just trust CBCS. We all have been there with this type of scenario. And many those who are still there will tell you that you will be satisfied once you get your orders back.

I talked more with CBCS than the store. They are the ones that gave me most of the information. I am NOT being impatient. With their window time frame my books should have been done BEFORE the storm. They tooks weeks to check it in. CBCS told me that it is going to take another 6-8 weeks. That takes it to six months they will have the books. Not one of them have been graded yet.

Some of the books on the order are getting pressed. I know how to press books. Been doing it for years and done hundreds. I have a local Facebook group for comics who have been asking for a seminar to teach how to press. I probably going to do that so that people know how to press books and not have to wait weeks to get it done and have excuses of why they aren't and be told to be patient when this happens. They can do it themselves or anybody from the group can do it for them.

Six months it waaay to long to wait. Never again.

Hundreds? Really?
Post 87 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
It sounds like you're making a lot of assumptions. No offense. Why would cbcs allow an apprentice grader to page through high end books? I think you're being overly concerned. That would be like letting an apprentice mechanic work on a bugatti. Like any industry, you would start them small and allow them to build up your confidence in them.

As far as conflict of interest, I don't see one. I'm pretty darn sure Steve Borock has a collection that would put most of our collections to shame.

As far as wage is concerned, I threw a number out there. I have no idea how much a professional grader would make, but you seem to think that they would need to pay an apprentice the same as a pro. Why would you pay anyone who has no experience more than a few bucks over minimum wage?

Did. Now he collects art.
Post 88 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
And trades.
Post 89 IP   flag post
Collector shiftins6 private msg quote post Address this user
Hire graders that just do moderns. You could teach a chimp to find the flaws on a new book.
Post 90 IP   flag post
Are you applying?
Post 91 IP   flag post
I just might. Only if you do it with me.
Post 92 IP   flag post
I was asked, but I had just finished building a new office building where I currently live and wasn't able to move to Florida.
Post 93 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftins6
Hire graders that just do moderns. You could teach a chimp to find the flaws on a new book.

Not often -- but every once in a while --- a post comes along that illustrates why we do need a dislike button.
Post 94 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftins6

Definitely a bit rough on the delivery, but the point has some significant validity. It's pretty darn easy to grade a modern.
Post 95 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user

Post 96 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user

Post 97 IP   flag post
Am I the only one who reads his username as shitfins6?
Post 98 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Update on tat's.
I got an email today stating that the 20 comics that I submitted directly to CBCS at TerrifiC Con on August 19 have now been received by CBCS and will be placed in their vault to await grading. Hopefully, they will be back-dated to the Tuesday after the Con and be treated as having been received on August 21. So it is currently taking over a month (not counting days lost to holidays and hurricanes) to log in received comics.
Post 99 IP   flag post
Collector farseer private msg quote post Address this user
Mine were submitted at Fan Expo Toronto on Sept 2nd and I got the email that they were received on Sept 12th.
Post 100 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR spaulus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Update on tat's.
I got an email today stating that the 20 comics that I submitted directly to CBCS at TerrifiC Con on August 19 have now been received by CBCS and will be placed in their vault to await grading. Hopefully, they will be back-dated to the Wednesday after the Con and be treated as having been received on August 21. So it is currently taking over a month (not counting days lost to holidays and hurricanes) to log in received comics.

Submissions that are received at conventions are backdated accordingly. We do this so you are not penalized for the backlog in receiving. I totally understand that some people get frustrated because we have a sizable delay but we have a lot of books that had delayed entry due to Irma. Right now our Customer Service department is working very hard to enter the books into the system and answer all of the inquiries.

Those of you that have a receive date that is significantly past the convention date you submitted, we can make adjustments. just let us know.

Thank you for your understanding.
Post 101 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@spaulus @SteveRicketts My submission was delivered to CBCS the last week of August. No confirmation of receipt yet or update on my dashboard. I've sent emails and made calls to CBCS but still no resolution.

Invoice# 17-300D374

Please give me some of your customer service love, I'm feeling neglected.
Post 102 IP   flag post

Post 103 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I'm legitimately worried about the TATs with books because what if I move next year? How does that work once something is shipped via FedEx?
Post 104 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR spaulus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@spaulus @SteveRicketts My submission was delivered to CBCS the last week of August. No confirmation of receipt yet or update on my dashboard. I've sent emails and made calls to CBCS but still no resolution.

Invoice# 17-300D374

Please give me some of your customer service love, I'm feeling neglected.

Your submission is in the queue to be put into the system. You should see it soon. It will be backdated to appropriate date so you will not be penalized. Thank you for your patience
Post 105 IP   flag post
598061 117 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?