Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop Culture

Your Favorite, or Most Iconic Joker Stories?4329

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Aside from 'The Killing Joke', what are the most iconic Joker stories? What's your favorite, & why?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Dark Knight Returns is probably my favorite. The finality of the confrontation, Batman losing it and the lengths Joker goes to to get his comeuppance.

Joker in a turbin is really memorable for its ridiculousness in Death in the Family, too.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
I actually don't think death in the family holds up all that well. (Joker becomes an ambassador with diplomatic immunity?). But the brutal way he kills Jason is just unforgettable.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Batman 66 is just flat out hilarious. With all of its sexual puns and innuendo. Especially for the time period. Would be tame nowadays compared to a DeadPool comic.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Zombiebigfoot private msg quote post Address this user
I still say the hardcover novel, "Joker", is one of my all time favorites. It's an elaborate tale taking place outside of the regular Batman continuity. It's narrated by one of his henchman, Jonny Frost, and is unlike ANY Joker story I've read so far. It's written by Brian Azzarello & illustrated by Lee Bermejo, so it's win-win! A top recommendations to all Joker enthusiasts.

Post 6 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
I might be a minority here, but I felt that DC's misuse of why Alan Moore wrote The Killing Joke is the primary reason why it is not one of my favorites. The entire story was simply The Joker telling another a story that includes Batman. And if they chose to keep it as such and later reveal that he was telling the story to one Dr. Harleen Frances Quinzel, then it would be on my list. But since it was not the case, I will stick with a more recent goody: Death of the Family.

I know that it might be a retcon since Rebirth happened, but it still has me wonder if the Joker we see in that story was the real Joker. Or if it was some guy drugged into believing he was the real Joker. Which is also tied to my reasoning to why they would Jared Leto's Joker was handled that way in Suicide Squad, and why it can justify having a cinematic universe that has more than one Joker. But at the same time, it just shows that not only does he respect Batman... His use of these 'cruel jokes' are only used to let him see how far he can bend the Dark Knight without really breaking him.

Which is also one of the reasons why I can justify Jason Todd's death receiving a pre-New 52 retcon.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
@Zombiebigfoot - forgot about that one. Bravo!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
"The Great Pretender" Showcase '94 1-2
Post 9 IP   flag post
598003 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?