Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Ginosdad private msg quote post Address this user
@det_tobor Great question!! I think I would go out of my way to get a silver age book signed by one of the greats. But don't you think that IF we do go all digital the signatures will be much more in demand?? Boy I tell you, I would love to sit at a table in a bar or restaurant with all of you to discuss this (and other topics)! I keep trying to convince my LCS to hold a weekly round-table discussion about our hobby...nothing yet
Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
ASM #1 in 4.5 is the quintessential book to have signed by Stan. It's not high grade...in fact it's in the lower mid-grade range...so there's not a great deal of value (relatively speaking) in the book.

I would not hesitate to have it signed by Stan. Perfect book for it.

So 7K is not a great deal of value (relatively speaking)? Interesting way to look at $7,000.00 for a comic book.

We live in different worlds.

What exactly does relatively speaking mean? Does it mean, compared to the value of an ASM #1 in 9.4? Or does it mean, as it relates to Action Comics #1 in 4.5?
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
When I got his signature on a book. It was not for any value aspect. It was evidence I had met and talked with the man. A memento. Which any five dollar book would work.

Now everything is about money. Everything and everyone chasing the almighty dollar.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginosdad
@det_tobor Great question!! I think I would go out of my way to get a silver age book signed by one of the greats. But don't you think that IF we do go all digital the signatures will be much more in demand??

@Ginosdad, two halves to that answer.
* if we go all digital, fewer people, especially younger collectors
will care about paper comics or older talents. How strong a
market is there for Murphy Anderson?
* if you want to sell it in the future, market value goes by
** how much demand for it in paper form
** how many collectors will WANT it and how strongly
( 4 people may not put a lot of bids to an auction)
these are things to consider. Yes, there are vinyl record
collectors, but how hot are they or autographs of singers?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Not a big sig fan for my personal collection, but this situation may be different. Good discussion so far and both sides come off very convincing. If you seek and enjoy sigs on your comics, go for it. It also sets up potential future value should you need to sell or just leaving to your kids. Everything is lined up for you.
Post 30 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
You can always go both ways. If you can afford it, get your book signed, that way you can always have the experience and sentimental value of Stan signing one of your books and then get another unsigned copy in similar grade. This way you can have the best of both of worlds and not second guess yourself.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
Some of his Signatures look really bad. Like the marker was running out of ink or had to much in it. I'd go for a less valuable comic like an old horror one he worked on. If I was looking to buy (which I do focus on signed horror books, not too many out there) I'd be real geeked up to see that.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
I just checked ebay, and depending on how you look it up, I found up to 3,623 books advertised with a Stan Lee autograph. Of those, I found 6 graded Amazing Spider-Man #1's that were Stan Lee autograph signature series. And this is just ebay, not counting all the others that can be found on other sites. The market is flooded, so much so (and I hate to say it because it will surely be a sad day), when he dies, I think the market for his autograph will say, "meh". There's just too much out there and even though I have a few books myself with his autograph, I have no desire to own anymore, and pass over books with his autograph just because I know there's so much out there.

Stan will eventually stop signing either to his death or declining heath. If you think Ebay will continue to be a glut of SS signed Stan books, I would rethink that idea. Right now dealers are flipping Stan books along with some collectors posting extra copies. I do not know of dealers sitting on hundreds, let alone thousands of SS signed books. Its just to expensive to do so. When he goes, there will be a honeymoon of books posted for sale. When that flurry floats downstream, there will be no more water flowing out of the dam. The Dam will be closed 100% zero new books to market. Only pre existing books can be resold on the market. Like I said, I do not know of dealers sitting on piles of SS Stan books, so where are these books going to come from? Collectors are collectors, they are not dealers.
Post 33 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I can fully understand anyone who wants to get common books signed by Stan. Even valuable common books. I just don't agree with defacing a piece of important history that has a very limited amount of them available. It is, after all, writing on a cover.
Post 34 IP   flag post
597911 34 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?