Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Over-packing - It CAN Happen to YOU!4301

Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Two things I do not like when I'm opening a package containing a comic that I won on EBAY:

(1) Packing tape...EVERYWHERE...
(2) And where there is not tape...Glue...Lots of it.

The pictures are of a package I received today. I really felt like I was defusing a bomb...examining every angle deciding which piece of tape to cut next...ever so carefully pulling apart cardboard that was glued together as to not bend the comic, resulting in one of the dreaded "crease that breaks color." The layers were not only heavily sealed, but also very tight against the next layer..

The last layer was an envelope which was folded over tightly around all corners and taped/glued/sealed such that it left practically no play for me to safely insert scissors. It took multiple very carefully planned incisions to break through.

Only one very small crease that may break color...I don't think I caused it during the defusing, but I'll never know.

My message is to everyone packing comics...PLEASE use painters tape on the inside contents. So much easier to work with than packing tape and glue...

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Glue - that is a first
Post 2 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Wrapping a plastic shopping bag around a slab or a pile of raw books will keep the tape from touching the bag and board containing the goods.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Glue - that is a first

Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
I just had an order come in where I had to be careful cutting the clear tape around the bumble wrap. Took me 10 minutes to get my comic out. Sellers, you do not need to wrap the comics in packing tape. Bubble wrap and a couple of pieces of tape do just fine.
Post 5 IP   flag post
The bag/board were clean...it was getting to it that was the trouble...the glued cardboard was the worst...trying to pry apart pieces without bending it...it was very flimsy cardboard so it was very challenging to hold the contents flight while pulling them apart.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
I try to pack in such a way that it's like trying trying to solve a Rubik's Cube to get your item out.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I had a book shift once and get damaged. Lucky I had another same book I sent, cheap book. I make darn sure the book can't slide around in the cardboard
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
I tape every seam of a t mailer. Sorry bout that
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@Drogio Can never have enough tape.

Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_K

Booooo....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa

What's in the box?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_K

Booooo....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa

What's in the box?

Post 12 IP   flag post
Monopoly game?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Monopoly game?

Laundered Money from my Car Wash
Post 14 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
I'm going to try and top that.

I am going to need a comic of the buyer's choice, an acid-free comic bag, two acid-free boards (one to go in the middle of the comic so it doesn't move around), a top-loader, a hole-punched Ziplock bag that is big enough to put the top loader in, a temperature-controlled security box that also contains both proper padding and a filter for any comic-harming gasses, a second padded security box to cover the first security box, cement, a high-end wooden crate to put all the cement in, and one of those metal shipping containers that can be fit with a false wall (for the comic). And have it be shipped by a high-end mercenary that happens to enjoy cosplaying as Daedpool.

Which is more plausible than my other plan: Place the highest available condition copies of Action Comics #1, Detective Comics #27, and Amazing Fantasy #15 into the Ark of the Covenant.
Post 15 IP   flag post
601333 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?