Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Just show something cool4299

You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@X51 the old other #1 I have seen is on ebay and it's missing a good chunk of the cover. The #2 is the only one I have ssen.
Post 151 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
1942 copy of Print Magazine with a Picture Stories from the Bible comic bound inside.

1943 copy of Print Magazine with an article by Max Gaines telling the history of comics from a 1943 perspective.

A slipcase that included the two issues.

Post 152 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01

In my book (get it?) we have a winner, thus far.
Post 153 IP   flag post
Quote:
@X51 the old other #1 I have seen is on ebay and it's missing a good chunk of the cover. The #2 is the only one I have ssen.

I'd never seen the #1, and it's the artwork on the #2 that looks familiar. I need to go back and look. It was a company that's been selling comics since the 70's and they have a stockpile of comics that are in storage. They periodically pull unusual stuff out of storage to restock their store. It was probably lower grade. Or I could just be imagining it. I'm reasonably sure I'd seen it in their store among some really oddball Golden age stuff that was in low grade (chunks missing etc.). I probably paid attention to it because it was in better shape than anything else in the beat up box.
Post 154 IP   flag post
Eye-Opener #1 (Charlton)

Post 155 IP   flag post

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
@X51 Not as cool as someone named Bob Denver buying a Bob Denver comic, but I once sold an Atari to Wil Wheaton on e-bay.
Post 156 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
@X51 Not as cool as someone named Bob Denver buying a Bob Denver comic, but I once sold an Atari to Wil Wheaton on e-bay.

That's cool. Did you tell him he was horrible on Star Trek?

It was "the" Bob Denver who bought it (Gilligan). I think he bought a Dobie Gillis comic because he was on that TV show too.
Post 157 IP   flag post
Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user

Love it🍺
Post 158 IP   flag post
@X51 Ah, that's even cooler that it was "the" Bob Denver.

As far as Wheaton & Trek? Nah, I'd rather avoid that. 😏

I did attach an "Axis of Anarchy" logo to the package, though. A reference to his character on "The Guild" web series.
Post 159 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

It was "the" Bob Denver who bought it (Gilligan). I think he bought a Dobie Gillis comic because he was on that TV show too.

I once had Jim Valentino buy a VG-ish Jimmy Olsen #134 from me...for $8.

Of course, this was in 2002 or thereabouts, but it's worth a bit more. I thought it was pretty neat.
Post 160 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

I once had Jim Valentino buy a VG-ish Jimmy Olsen #134 from me...for $8.

Of course, this was in 2002 or thereabouts, but it's worth a bit more. I thought it was pretty neat.

That's cool too. I've never sold anything to a celebrity or pseudo-celebrity, but I've bought things from creators that mean a little more to me for that reason. Especially, if they are very hard to find otherwise. I run a message board and I always thought it was strange that comic creators would actually go out of their way to contact me. They care how their work is presented or promoted online.
Post 161 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, it was neat. I asked him "are you the Shadowhawk Jim Valentino?" He said yes. I enjoyed Shadowhawk when it was new.

I imagine it wouldn't hold up today.
Post 162 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user

...yes, that's Godzilla.
Post 163 IP   flag post
Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user
I've never seen Darth scared before😂
Post 164 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user

Post 165 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user

Post 166 IP   flag post
Collector vacaboca private msg quote post Address this user
I attended Vermont Comic Con recently, and met Cliff Rathburn (Walking Dead colorist, among other things)... I generally don't commission art (no wallspace, no good way to store it), but really enjoy his work and found him really interesting to talk to. I decided to have him do something for me, and the only input I gave him was that I wanted a "Rick" (Walking Dead)... This is what he handed me the next morning:

I was blown away - I loved how it turned out.

I also met Rusty Gilligan, who was a real character... he was doing $10 charity commission sketches... I asked him for a Jay and Silent Bob, and this was the result:

It was a pretty small con, but it was really nice to have space to move around in, and a low enough noise level that I could have extended conversations with a number of artists and writers... after my first San Diego Comic Con experience this year, it was a great experience, and reminded me why I will probably not go to a big con again
Post 167 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Alan Young signing my three file copies at his home, about a year before his passing at 94 years old. Great guy.

Love the photo. You can tell even at that age, none of his cheese has slid off his cracker.
Post 168 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Eye-Opener #1 (Charlton)

You always hear that the husband's balls are kept in his wife's purse... I just didn't know they had a purse specially made for them LOL!
Post 169 IP   flag post
Collector vacaboca private msg quote post Address this user
Another random cool thing I recently acquired - an Alex Cormack commissioned cover of his now-a-big-hit Sink #1... he's a local, and I've often been able to hang out and talk to him and have him sign stuff... he's a really great guy, with a lot of talent. I really love his work, and particularly recommend the series "I Play the Bad Guy" and "Future Proof."

Also, after reading the first issue of Sink, I can't wait for more... I have no idea what the hell is going on in it, but it's fantastic.

Post 170 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@vacaboca now that is wild
Post 171 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user

Thought this was cool...Heres a pic I Had saved from an auction I was watching (maybe 2 yrs ago)....dont even want to know what this book runs now. It was advised strongly that I buy the book...but I just didn't have the money
Post 172 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
My son was born today. Logan Bryan. It's so good to finally meet him and hold him.
Post 173 IP   flag post
Collector TotalComicMayhem private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia
My son was born today. Logan Bryan. It's so good to finally meet him and hold him.

Sir, that is by far the coolest thing on this thread! MAJOR & HEARTFELT CONGRATS! Welcome Logan Bryan!
Post 174 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
@AndyRexia Congrats! Now remember to say the following mantra for the next few months: "Comics are my friend, not a substitute to sleeping."
Post 175 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you both. My life is complete now. After two years of trying and four miscarriages, it feels so good to finally have this little guy in my arms.
Post 176 IP   flag post
Quote:

Ok. I GUESS that's cool. 😄

Congratulations, @AndyRexia.

I'm guessing "Logan" is no coincidence?
Post 177 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
Got two more items for my collection! The first one was a Street Fighter Zero 3 Double Upper/Vampire Chronicles: The Chaos Tower value pack, which I bought for the former. More on that who want to hear it.

And this one arrived today while I was gone. It is in great shape for a 21 year old magazine, and both comes in its original bag as well as its original bonus items. I plan to have it framed next year.

Also, I am using the images the seller used. Mine is packed away.

Post 178 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher

Thought this was cool...Heres a pic I Had saved from an auction I was watching (maybe 2 yrs ago)....dont even want to know what this book runs now. It was advised strongly that I buy the book...but I just didn't have the money

Wanna bet that the Loch Ness Monster added the "1" to the bid so nobody knew he was bidding on it?
Post 179 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Congratulations! That is for sure the coolest thing that will ever happen in your life. Until the next one.
Post 180 IP   flag post
597914 999 30