Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Double Cover how to Grade, remove outer??4298

Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Ok...been buying questionable lots with fingers crossed - the book I thought would be good was not but there were 3 others to make up for it - this is one of them - never had a double cove before - how do you grade this - should I just take off the outer cover?? close to 9 on the outer and with a press guessing 9.6+ on the inner
First the outer

now inside

thoughts??
Post 1 IP   flag post
KUNG FU PANNDA greggy private msg quote post Address this user
Under no circumstances should you remove the outer cover.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Deadpoolica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggy
what he said!
If u send it for grading they will grade both covers & the highest of the 2 will be what's on the slab, they will also notate that it is a double cover. Multiple covers are sought after, rare & in most cases much more valuable.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Exactly. Don't remove the outer cover.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
OMG, do NOT remove that second cover!!! You should get 2 grades. One for the outer and one for the inner cover. Congratulations, those are cool books to have
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thanks!! wasn't sure how to handle this! - I think this is joining my group of comics that will be sent for pressing and grading!!
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, don't ditch the outer cover. Awesome book to have for a double cover!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
how about the outer cover PROTECTS the inner cover..like why the inner cover has a better quality.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector TommyJasmin private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Ok...been buying questionable lots with fingers crossed - the book I thought would be good was not but there were 3 others to make up for it - this is one of them - never had a double cove before - how do you grade this - should I just take off the outer cover?? close to 9 on the outer and with a press guessing 9.6+ on the inner

thoughts??

@KatKomics - Assigned grade is always based on the inner cover. On top of that, multiple cover books (copies also turn up with three or even more) tend to fetch a premium over a single cover book in the same grade.

In other words:

A) Let's say you get a CBCS 9.4 for your book (I don't think you'll pull a 9.6, corners are not sharp enough - but yeah, maybe if you're willing to pony up for a press).
B) The same book also graded CBCS 9.4 with a single cover will typically sell for quite a bit less than yours.

I know this because double covers often turn up as outliers in our Nostomania sales data processing code.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'm just glad this lot turned out ok. 15 books for $89 CAD with shipping. 13 are basically bin worthy.Photos were horrible but saw 2 books [not this one] that looked interesting so I took a chance. Wanted the 'My Greatest Adventures 81' to pan out but only a reader - this book though will pay for the whole lot and then some I think.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpoolica
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggy
what he said!
If u send it for grading they will grade both covers & the highest of the 2 will be what's on the slab, they will also notate that it is a double cover. Multiple covers are sought after, rare & in most cases much more valuable.

Wrong, if the book has an interior cover grade if 9.4, but has a coupon clipped on page four. Your absolutely not going to get a blue 9.4. The book will either be qualified or downgraded to a 1.0.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Ah!! but this one is complete and with a press of one corner on the back cover this could be reallllly nice
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I've been collecting for a long time- thousands of books- never got a double cover.

I'd leave it as is
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
I've been collecting for a long time- thousands of books- never got a double cover.

I'd leave it as is

I'm just over the 7k mark (need to sell off some to reduce space taken up) and this is my first double cover!
Post 14 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Whoever presses this needs to know what they are doing.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah. I saw an FF #4 across the street last night sent to a mystery presser that wound up with a chuck out of it and what looks like waves.
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I collect double covers, and pay more for them than I would for a single cover of the same issue. I have several from all ages.

Keep it double cover, for sure.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn't mind adding one to my collection.
A friend has found 2 in the wild and purchased some online. I think he has about a dozen or so.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Whoever presses this needs to know what they are doing.

Still figuring what books to send for pressing but dare I say CFP is on my radar?

Need to research a bit more about what pressing/cleaning can really do on a few of my books (one looks like ink smudges on cover and interior - seem a few examples on the web that seem like this can be fixed?)
Post 19 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
I highly recommend CFP or CBCS pressing service. I have used both and have been very pleased with the results.
Post 20 IP   flag post
600790 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?