Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
This is a post that was made by Steve Paulus on several Facebook pages a few minutes ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Paulus
CBCS update on Irma:
I wanted to let everyone know that our people are checking in and everyone appears to have made it through Irma. Our building also seems to have weathered the storm and is in good shape. One of our employees drove to the building and did a quick inspection. There was no visible sign of flooding and no apparent sign of leaks, which is very good news. The biggest problem we have right now is that the electricity is still out. Once we get power back to the facility and it is safe for our employees to travel, we will reopen for business, although in a limited capacity at first.
Several of our employees evacuated to other states and may face a difficult time returning. Weather conditions, traffic and gas shortages will play a factor but that is an issue for another day. Right now we are fortunate to be able to say that our building is in good shape and our people are safe.
We know that we are blessed to have escaped with as little damage as we did, and our thoughts and prayers go out to those people who were hit hard by Irma.
I will give you updates on when we expect to reopen, but right now I do not have a time or day on when that will happen. It all depends on when power can be restored.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Good to hear.

Thanks for the update.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, that's good news indeed.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Yep, seems that this event turned out to not be as bad as the media hoped. Still a tremendous storm though.

I am glad everyone and all are safe with the CBCS family.

Still thinking about Texas and Harvey, and also thinking about the next one heading towards Florida. I think it is called "Jose".

Funny phone call I had yesterday. My best buddy is in Florida on emergency services work and he called me last night. He reads comic books and has only about three in slabs. When I told him where CBCB and CGC were located, he did not know that. But this is what he said.

"Good thing all of these books are in waterproof containers" (meaning the slabs). When I laughed and told him that was NOT the case, and that the slabs can easily be pulled slightly apart at the edges, he couldn't believe it. He said he thought that was the purpose of having books encapsulated.

Ha ha

I sometimes forget how many comic collectors do not know the ends and outs of graded comics in slabs.
Post 4 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
I was going to do a Kirk Lazarus-like response, but I also found out that Georgia also has no electricity because of this storm. Which means that I have to wait longer in hopes of contacting Collectible Grading Authority. They are best known for their Action Figure Authority (AFA) and Video Game Authority (VGA) services.

Besides that, I am glad that everything turned out to be fine. And it makes me wonder if the archival wells (that nobody seems to mention)would have helped protect the comics to any degree. Or if those also have enough slots (due to releasing unseen gasses that can damage any printed materials) that water can enter the well and damage the comic.

I only pondered that because while CGA has their graded/sealed cases look air-tight, they have slots that allow for the same type of gasses to be released. As well as preventing perspiration and other potential risk factors from happening. And from what I have read, the same was done for the outer slab when it comes to what both CGC and CBCS (and PGX?) do. But very little is said about CBCS's inner well.

Regardless of that, I am brething a strong sigh of relief for CBCS. And I hope the same can be said about CGC, CGA, and others outside the grading community.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
It looks like the next couple of days won't be too bad without power - low 80's. The weather after that looks like high 80's/low 90's. Without power I hope everyone can stay cool. High humidity, standing water, and high temps doesn't sound like a fun time.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
Ok that's great news.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector XxSpideyxX private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
It looks like the next couple of days won't be too bad without power - low 80's. The weather after that looks like high 80's/low 90's. Without power I hope everyone can stay cool. High humidity, standing water, and high temps doesn't sound like a fun time.

Hopefully power will be restored soon. Humidity within the vault can't be good for all these paper products that are susceptible to all the detriments of moisture including mold, warping, color bleeding, etc.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Krazywan private msg quote post Address this user
Glad you guys made it through it and are well. And now the clean up begins...
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Glad to hear everyone is safe. Hopefully all of your employees homes came out in as good as shape as your facility.

Having just gone through Harvey myself, I know the uncertainty that people are going through now.

I wish them nothing but the best.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
New update from Steve Paulus via Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Paulus
CBCS has power and has opened in a very limited capacity. Our facility did not sustain any real damage and the power is on, and most of our employees have reported for work. The main issue we have is that we do not have any internet service at this time. Our attempts to use WIFI has not met with any real success because cell towers in the area are providing spotty service at best. Because of the damage to the power grid many cell towers throughout Florida are running on generators, and at diminished capacity. The faster the power comes back on, the faster all telecommunication services can resume normal service.

At this point, one of two things has to happen for CBCS to get back up to normal operations. Either our internet provider starts to provide service or WIFI becomes stronger to allow a stable connection.

We are doing what we can to move orders through the system. Which includes those process steps that do not require our operating system, such as encapsulating books that are in our backlog. We are also using remote sites to enter information from paperwork sent in with comics. Once we can access our system our priority will be moving books through our grading process. We will start with those orders that were held up during IRMA and the faster tier submissions we have entered into our system but have not passed beyond that step.

As always, our focus is to our customers, and we are dedicated to getting CBCS back to normal operations. I have to say that I am proud of the devotion of our employees who put aside their own concerns and reported to work to help get us back on track. I’ll let you know when we more news to report.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Great news!!!😎
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the update.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxSpideyxX
Quote:

Hopefully power will be restored soon. Humidity within the vault can't be good for all these paper products that are susceptible to all the detriments of moisture including mold, warping, color bleeding, etc.

All books that are subbed to CBCS (and CGC, as well) are kept in a climate controlled environment.

It is a vault with security and precautionary measures in place, with or without centralized power to the building itself.

The vault at CBCS (and the vault at CGC) is not subject to humidity, as the rest of the building(s) is.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector XxSpideyxX private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxSpideyxX
Quote:

All books that are subbed to CBCS (and CGC, as well) are kept in a climate controlled environment.

It is a vault with security and precautionary measures in place, with or without centralized power to the building itself.

The vault at CBCS (and the vault at CGC) is not subject to humidity, as the rest of the building(s) is.

Thank you for this information. How do you know about these details? I wish they offered a video tour of their facility or process. I have no idea how climate in Florida can be controlled without power, but I'll take your word for it
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I just got a grading email. Things are moving!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
I just got a grading email. Things are moving!

Yeah. I got a completed preshipping email this morning. Looks like things are moving for sure. Which is impressive considering all that's happened.
Post 17 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
We are working slowly by using Verizon Jetpacks. The cell networks here are completely overloaded because most of the county doesn't have internet. A lot them don't even have electricity yet.

We are running, but it is very limited. We have been told that our phones and internet may be running by next Monday, but we are not holding our breath. I honestly hope that is the case.

The good news? The shipment of plastic is here, so once everything is running again, we will be cranking it out as fast as we can go.
Post 18 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the update Steve, much appreciated!
Apart from the business, on a personal level, I hope everyone came through no worse for the wear.
Post 19 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Given what they got south of us, nobody here is complaining. Everyone is safe, and for that we are very thankful.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
The best news is that you and your employees are safe.

I am happy to hear you are up and running again. We are all cheering for a quick recovery back to standard operations.
Post 21 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Wait a second @SteveRicketts , I was told you could control the weather? Maybe it was only the tectonic plates and the waxing an waning of the moon. Lol glad as is well there.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I ended up losing power for 3 days + 2 hours. A HUGE tree top fell right where I park. Thankfully, I wasn't parked there.
Post 23 IP   flag post
598060 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?