Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector NilesPaine private msg quote post Address this user
What kind of runs you guys working on??? Any strict rules you adhere to??? Plan on getting them graded??
What are your opinions on some of the hardest FULL runs to acquire??? Do you guys collect the Annuals too or strictly the issues?!
It's Monday and even if someone crapped in your breakfast sandwich or you woke up on the wrong side of the couch/favorite rocking chair. . . SOUND OFF!!

Working on an X-Men run myself. I thought about collecting ALL things X men but figured I'm not literally crazy so I'd start with that Uncanny bunch. Trying to hover around VF and up. Get's pricey though, so just slowly chipping away.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
I'm working on a complete Daredevil Volume 1 run. Yes, I include the annuals/specials too. I will collect some fringe stuff based on its relevance to the run. I also included all the "What If...?" Issues featuring Daredevil in this run.

Also working on a Deadman run. I'm essentaially working on having Deadman's every appearance in a comic. It's a good challenge with not a lot of fringe that I'm aware of.

*Edit* Forgot to add that I have a completed Iron Fist run as well. It's as complete as I'm ever going to be with it anyway. It includes all of his Marvel Premiere and self titled Volume 1 appearances. I stopped chasing the Deadly Hands of Kung Fu appearances but they're still cool books to have. Overall, it's a fairly small run. It can be increased by adding Heros for Hire in with it. 👍🏻
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Collector JLA555 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm working on the 2nd run for Wolverine almost complete. Also working on Iron man 1st run.
its getting tough to find some books ever one is raising prices even on the most common books.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@AndyRexia

See I'm debating still if I want to do some of that in terms of off shoots, first appearances of main X men outside of the run. Like I said I'm not TOTALLY crazy though lol there is A LOT of X-Men. Once the run is complete I will probably look into Specials and stuff.

Deadman shouldn't be too bad. I MAY start a Defenders run also as I have a fair chunk of some of the older books already and the "newer" issues can be found at LCS for 1-3 bucks.

@JLA555
The Unlimited Series I assume you mean. That's a pretty beastly run! You going for Errors and Variants too?? I'm still debating on that too. . .
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
My ever ongoing project is Fantastic Four Vol. 1. I'm about 40 issues away from being complete. I could be closer, but I started to get pickier about condition.

My newer current passion project is to have a CBCS graded copy of all Marvel on-going series #1 issues. I have started with Bronze Age or Copper Age as I already own many of these or they are still mostly affordable to buy. Here is what I have so far.

Punisher #1 (1986) 9.4
Spectacular Spider-Man #1 (1976) 8.5
Wolverine #1 (1988) 9.6
Black Panther #1 (1977) 9.6
Godzilla #1 (1977) 9.2
Marvel Two-In-One #1 (1974) 7.5
Savage She-Hulk #1 (1980) 9.4
New Mutants #1 (1983) 9.4
Marvel Team-Up #1 (1972) 7.5

I have a few more that I plan to submit at Baltimore Comic-Con in two weeks.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
@NilesPaine I hear ya. It's very easy, for me at least, to get sidetracked with all the off shoot stuff. Here's a great example:

Comics Journal #58. It's not a comic but it's the first ever cover appearance of Elektra. It predates DD #168. Is it worth adding to the run? I say yes because I'm a fan of DD as well as a collector. Besides, I just think it's really cool.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar
My ever ongoing project is Fantastic Four Vol. 1. I'm about 40 issues away from being complete. I could be closer, but I started to get pickier about condition.

My newer current passion project is to have a CBCS graded copy of all Marvel on-going series #1 issues. I have started with Bronze Age or Copper Age as I already own many of these or they are still mostly affordable to buy. Here is what I have so far.

Punisher #1 (1986) 9.4
Spectacular Spider-Man #1 (1976) 8.5
Wolverine #1 (1988) 9.6
Black Panther #1 (1977) 9.6
Godzilla #1 (1977) 9.2
Marvel Two-In-One #1 (1974) 7.5
Savage She-Hulk #1 (1980) 9.4
New Mutants #1 (1983) 9.4
Marvel Team-Up #1 (1972) 7.5

I have a few more that I plan to submit at Baltimore Comic-Con in two weeks.

That's pretty impressive!!! The question is WHICH are you missing LOL Forget prices, some of the lower issues are just hard to find!

@AndyRexia It's actually a nice cover for a write up! It's interesting, the way the market works now that I've started to watch it. A FULL Cameo or cover usually sells for way less than a "full appearance". Which to me as an example and in my opinion Hulk 180 should be worth WAY more! I mean it's not just a shadow of a figure. You get Wolverines name AND a full body shot!
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Collector farseer private msg quote post Address this user
I am working on the original Marvel runs of Conan the Barbarian (missing 15 regular issues, one annual and 2 Giant Size), Savage Sword of Conan (missing 25) Conan the King or King Conan (done) and Conan Saga (missing 18).
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Collector JLA555 private msg quote post Address this user
@AndyRexia

not sure about the errors and variants just yet
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I've been working on Punisher but I get sidetracked, go after other books and keep returning to fill in gaps. Lately, I've been going after #1's and 1st appearances.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
I've been working on Punisher but I get sidetracked, go after other books and keep returning to fill in gaps. Lately, I've been going after #1's and 1st appearances.

Pretty much the same. I always have the X in the back of my mind though. If I see something I know I need or at a good price I'll grab it. There are A LOT of first appearances! For instance LOL
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Snowflame_(New_Earth)
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA555
@AndyRexia

not sure about the errors and variants just yet

If you are the Wolverine Nabisco variant is a MUST HAVE 😎
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Collector Zombiebigfoot private msg quote post Address this user
Where to begin! Well, I'm always trying to fill my ASM Vol.1 collection (nowhere NEAR complete (lol!)), Batman Vol.2 & Harley Quinn Vol.2 collections. Just a matter of time before I have those complete though. The earlier ASM books are a pipe-dream @ this point, but it's always cool to check them out when I get the chance. The earliest issues I have for that collection are #109 & #121, but that's as early as I think I can go for now.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Funny, I almost never do runs, but at the moment a Dell Turok run. My other current addiction is any comic with an atomic explosion on the cover. Wonder Woman 95 as an example. Not really a run, though
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm trying to complete Tales to Astonish (Vol. 1). I'm just down to mostly prehero issues. I have 1, 13, 27, and 44 already. I'm going for solid copies, not really high grade.
That and Charlton adult humor comics.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiebigfoot
Where to begin! Well, I'm always trying to fill my ASM Vol.1 collection (nowhere NEAR complete (lol!)), Batman Vol.2 & Harley Quinn Vol.2 collections. Just a matter of time before I have those complete though. The earlier ASM books are a pipe-dream @ this point, but it's always cool to check them out when I get the chance. The earliest issues I have for that collection are #109 & #121, but that's as early as I think I'll go at this point.

Yea I hear ya. I considered ASM but the earlier books at high grades are just through the roof. I started a Spectacular instead as that is more attainable. Arguably though he is Marvels most popular character next to Iron-Man so. I have some older X Men below #20 but in terrible grade. My better copies start around #70. Anything Golden Age are for the big dogs at this point. Im not ready to sell my car for 1 book (just yet at least) 😁
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Witnessed cigs dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I've been working on signed and graded Punisher #1s. Most of these are witnessed, a few will have to be verified and most are still waiting to be sent to CBCs. So far I have:

Punisher (1986) Signed by Mike Zeck
Punisher (1998) Signed by Chris Golden, Tom Sniegoski (Jimmy Palmiotti @ Baltimore)
Punisher (1998) DF Cover x2 Signed by Chris Golden, Tom Sniegoski, Jae Lee (Jimmy Palmiotti @ Baltimore)
Punisher (2009) 4 variants signed by Rick Remender and Jerome Opeña
Punisher (2011) signed by Greg Rucka
Punisher (2016) signed by Becky Cloonan
Punisher (2016) Hip-Hop variant signed by Becky Cloonan and Tim Bradstreet
Punisher 2099 signed by Tom Morgan
Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe signed by Garth Ennis
Punisher MAX signed by Jason Aaron (Dave Johnson @ NYCC)
Punisher MAX (Dillon color cover) Signed by Jason Aaron
Punisher MAX (Dillon B&W cover) signed by Jason Aaron and Steve Dillon
Punisher War Journal (1988) signed by Jim Lee
Punisher Countdown Signed by Garth Ennis, Tim Bradstreet Thomas Jane (Jimmy Palmiotti @Baltimore)
Punisher Movie Special signed by Dolph Lindgren
Punisher Movie Adaptation signed by Thomas Jane
Punisher War Zone (1992) Signed by John Romita Jr
Dark Reign: The List - Punisher - Standard & Dillon covers) Signed by Rick Remender and John Romita Jr
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@X51
Eh ye I mean, VF is the high end. I'll settle for 7.0 or lower with a present nice cover for older books though.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@dielinfinite
Ambitttiioouuussss! Very nice!
Post 19 • IP   flag post
@doog
It's funny you'd mention atomic explosions - here's the cover I submitted for this past weeks cover contest! Check it out...

Great minds, eh?
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@NilesPaine

Post 21 • IP   flag post
Collector kclaw97 private msg quote post Address this user
Currently working to complete the Miller Daredevil run--not a huge one but having fun with it. I've got pretty much everything from 170-191 including some newsstands mixed in.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kclaw97
Currently working to complete the Miller Daredevil run--not a huge one but having fun with it. I've got pretty much everything from 170-191 including some newsstands mixed in.

Ah another solid point. Should one collect Newstands and Second Prints too?!? CHOICES!
Post 23 • IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilesPaine
@X51
Eh ye I mean, VF is the high end. I'll settle for 7.0 or lower with a present nice cover for older books though.

Solid to me is cover firmly attached and complete, no tape, no full length creases. These were all acceptable to me at the time of purchase.

Post 24 • IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Ah another solid point. Should one collect Newstands and Second Prints too?!? CHOICES!

I used to hate books with a barcode. I was given a barcode scanner as a gift and now I prefer the barcode on books. The scanner makes it A LOT easier to organize things.

Although, having said that, I've begun collecting virgin covers.

So, I guess the best way to describe my collection / what I collect is:
Whatever catches my attention at the moment.
Post 25 • IP   flag post
I'M BRINGING SEXY BACK CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Hulk 1-6, 102-474
Warlock 1-15
Post 26 • IP   flag post
Collector Ginosdad private msg quote post Address this user
I just completed John Byrne's Fantastic Four run..next up is Marvel Team-up and Two-in-one
Post 27 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
@X51

Solid to me is cover firmly attached and complete, no tape, no full length creases. These were all acceptable to me at the time of purchase.

All present nice so I see nothing wrong! Cover attach is a must for me and nothing too crazy either in terms of a split spine. I recently just "upgraded" my snarkniness in terms of what Im looking for lol Trust me my X men #8 wouldn't grade higher than a 2, so those are minty fresh!
Post 28 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Hulk 1-6, 102-474
Warlock 1-15

Pretty Solid!
Post 29 • IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
I am currently trying to put together a graded collection of pence copies of (Uncanny) X-Men as far as I can afford.

There were 107 pence variant issues from #1 to #152 when they went over to dual pricing.

Apologies in advance if the photos are out of sequence, I am not too tech savvy.

I have 141 (9.0), 140 (9.4), 139 (9,0), 138 (9.0), (137 ND), 136 (9.0), 135 (9.4), 134 (9.0), 133 (9.2), (132 Missing), 131 (8.5), 130 (9.6) , (129 Missing) ,128 (8.0) ,127 (9.2) ,126 (9.4), 125 (8.0), 124 (8.0), 123 (9.4), (121 and 122 ND), 120 (9.2), 119 (9.6), 118 (9.6), 117 (9.4), 116.(9.6), 115 (9,4), 114 (9.0), 113 (9.2), 112 (9.4) (111 Missing) 110 (9.4) and 99 (8.0) and 65 (7.5).

Post 30 • IP   flag post
127349 40 30
destitute