Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsCBCS GradedComics Golden AgeComics Silver AgeQuestions

NEW CGC HOLDER TO CBCS 20% OFF til July 1st429

Collector EternityComix private msg quote post Address this user
CGC isn't a company that puts the consumer first. They put their wallet first. Like Steve's CEO said in his post, CGC can afford to stop grading books until they can fix whatever issues they are having with their holders, but would rather keep going, let the money keep coming in while they fix it, and then play catch up later to anyone who wants a new holder after the issues have been resolved.

CGC charging for grader notes, $5 extra invoice fee, over charging for shipping, charging a membership fee just to have the privilege to send books in directly ect...They are nickel and diming the consumer which is how you can tell they don't put the consumer first.

My only complaint about CBCS is simply due to the fact that I don't like the powder blue labels, but I do trust the grading. CGC does have more of a foothold in the grading marketplace than CBCS does, and more people are familiar with CGC than they are with CBCS and thus CGC books bring in more money than CBCS graded books do, however, I'm sure that will change in the future.
Post 101 IP   flag post
Collector stophmaster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
How weird is that? A collector wanting to remove a book from a slab because in their opinion the safer option for shipping that book to Florida via USPS/FedEX/UPS is in a bag and board, and not the new CGC holder! That kind of sums it all up, doesn't it?

Exactly...
Post 102 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternityComix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_K
I've talked to a dealer for cgc; his words "I picked up over 500 books a week ago with the new cases. The only issue that I have seen personally, is some of the books look like that have a small wave. I think this is due in part to CGC using 2 pieces of mylar that are not sealed and the cheap cover stock used on many modern books." So based on his experiences some have waves and some do not based on issues such as cover thickness.
I think people are upset case waves are unacceptable across the board and a new holder was expected to fix this issue. Out of the 24 i just got back from CBCS no waves. I sincerely hope your luck with the new case continues (mine too).

As someone who works in web printing for the last 18 years, Modern comics do not use cheap cover stock for their comics. That explains the $3.99/4.99 cover prices. It's a commercial printing business, very high quality.

You must have missed it, but Marvel changed a bunch of their titles to cheap crappy cover stock. The cover paper is the same as the interior paper, and it is readily apparent when you open the comic. Very low quality.
Post 103 IP   flag post
Collector techtre2003 private msg quote post Address this user
It will be interesting to see the CBCS reholders of the CGC wavy books when they start coming in. Some before and after pics may have even more people making the move here depending on the results!
Post 104 IP   flag post
Collector Mio private msg quote post Address this user
Indeed - those cursing the loose grading and sloppy standards at CBCS are about to get a big, juicy sample of re-graded books to prove or disprove their theory. I suspect most books, though, will grade about the same (but with more PQ upgrades than downgrades).
Post 105 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert_Stylton
Quote:
Quote:
I've talked to a dealer for cgc; his words "I picked up over 500 books a week ago with the new cases. The only issue that I have seen personally, is some of the books look like that have a small wave. I think this is due in part to CGC using 2 pieces of mylar that are not sealed and the cheap cover stock used on many modern books." So based on his experiences some have waves and some do not based on issues such as cover thickness.
I think people are upset case waves are unacceptable across the board and a new holder was expected to fix this issue. Out of the 24 i just got back from CBCS no waves. I sincerely hope your luck with the new case continues (mine too).

As someone who works in web printing for the last 18 years, Modern comics do not use cheap cover stock for their comics. That explains the $3.99/4.99 cover prices. It's a commercial printing business, very high quality.

You must have missed it, but Marvel changed a bunch of their titles to cheap crappy cover stock. The cover paper is the same as the interior paper, and it is readily apparent when you open the comic. Very low quality.

I did't miss it, It's not cheap paper. just cause it's the same as the interior pages doesn't automatically mean it's cheap. What experience do you have with different brands of paper such as newsprint, groundwood, SCA or SCB? or how a book is printed, folded and stapled?
Post 106 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I did't miss it, It's not cheap paper. just cause it's the same as the interior pages doesn't automatically mean it's cheap. What experience do you have with different brands of paper such as newsprint, groundwood, SCA or SCB? or how a book is printed, folded and stapled?

I don't give a rat's ass about that technical crap, I know a cheap ass cover when I feel one. You cannot deny that Marvel's current cover stock is cheap-ass compared to what it was 5 years ago. If you need an example, it's like the difference between a 1.5 mil Mylite and a 4 mil Mylar.
Post 107 IP   flag post
Collector TheComicDoJo private msg quote post Address this user
I decided to not submit this book to CBCS at Awesome Con. CBCS actually talked me out of it. After I said that this was my favorite comic, they said and I quote "If this is your favorite comic then I wouldn't do this, especially because it's a CGC 9.8". I said "really? why? I thought it would get damaged over time" He then said "Well did you read the thread in the forum?" I said yes but I might have missed something. "Well, on every occasion, when we pull a book out of the CGC case ink ends up pulling off the cover".

At that point I was really turned away but I still asked "How much would it drop the grade? Are we talking just a little spot or something?" He then basically implied that grades have been taking big dives when the re-slab. He said he's not a grader so he wouldn't be able to tell me. I asked not for the grade of my book but in his experience what has he been noticing from books they are pulling out... "Have you see books pulled out? How far are grades falling?"

He didn't have an answer... he didn't even know what an area code was. I'm not giving names out or anything because I'd never want to do that but I was really shocked at this guys lack of knowledge, lack of customer service skills and he even huffed when he had to get out a calculator to give me an estimate.

The other two guys at the booth were awesome and I can't remember his name but I ended up speaking about Outcast for a few minutes.

I did not send this book off with CBCS however I did send off two other books that were raw, excited about getting those back.

I'm not sure why CBCS would even offer this deal if it's going to damage comic books... Not everyone will get this information and will just submit because they see 20% off but... when they get that book back that used to be a 9.8, come back as a 7.5 because of all the ink that got ripped off they will be PISSED.

Hopefully this information will help, I'd actually enjoyed speaking with the guys and if this transaction goes smoothly i will def. use CBCS moving forward.

Lastly... On Friday June 3rd when I turned the books in, I had to ask them when i'd get my books back (I shouldn't have to ask, they should just tell me when to expect: Customer Service)... they told me that I should expect my books back at the end of July. I surely hope it does take 60 days but if it does I guess I have no way of controlling.

Lots of my followers are fans of CGC as am I but I will certainly cross over if things go well. Can't wait to show my followers what I get back!

- The Comic DoJo
Post 108 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't give a rat's ass about that technical crap, I know a cheap ass cover when I feel one. You cannot deny that Marvel's current cover stock is cheap-ass compared to what it was 5 years ago. If you need an example, it's like the difference between a 1.5 mil Mylite and a 4 mil Mylar.

Agree with Stu on this, except I wouldn't neccesarily call the paper used on most moderns as "cheap".

Most moderns (nearly all of them) do use much thinner paper stock for covers...and ALL moderns that I come across, do not use newsprint for interior pages.

The paper stock used on moderns is much thinner than newsprint, it's practically tissue paper.

This makes pressing moderns much more of a delicate process (opposed to copper and older books, when newsprint was the norm).

Anyway.....for those that are sending in CGC new holder slabs (with signifigant waviness) ,I'd suggest that they have their book sent to CFP first, to be pressed before having CBCS regrade the book.

I would also suggest leaving the book in its CGC holder bc if the slab is cracked open and the wave pattern is disturbed...the chance of incurring spine ticks after the is bagged/boarded, is very high.

I'm referring to a book like the Walking Dead #1 that has a large wave in the center of the book, graded at 9.8 , in a new CGC holder.This book has paper which is much thinner than nrwsprint.

If a book like that is cracked and then bagged/boarded...the book won't lie flat naturally and I could see a book that doesn't lie flat, while it's in a Mylite 2 or 4 and Full Back, pocking up a color breaking spine tick.Likely at the center of the spine.
Post 109 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
can sketch covers be pressed?
Post 110 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
can sketch covers be pressed?

Yes.
Post 111 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Any damage caused to the comic as far as color transfer to the mylar is caused by the pressure of the case design itself and has already occurred, it's not going to be caused simply by cracking the book out. However the longer the comic is left inside these flawed holders the higher the risk of more color being transferred. The damage is adding up over time even if not visible until cracked, and from my point of view as a collector the grade on the case has already been invalidated by the damage of the case pressure from the very moment it was sealed. I hate to think what a comic would look like after spending years inside one of these monsters.
Post 112 IP   flag post
Collector VintageComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalPSI
It still baffles me how people would rather have a rushed, inferior product, than have a little time pass and get something that is refined.

I'm with you. I'd rather spend a little extra time or money to get a good product than take a shortcut.
Post 113 IP   flag post
Collector SleepyZ private msg quote post Address this user
I've got a couple of books that I cracked out of the new CGC slabs last night. I don't really care about missing out on the 20% discount, I just want them in proper slabs.

I'm still sending in the new CGC labels though. Call them war trophies.
Post 114 IP   flag post
I have a book in an old CGC slab that I want to get regraded because the top sticker is peeling and the inside lable is curling on the right edge. Is it recomended to send it to CBCS still in slab and let them crack it out or should I crack it out myself?
Post 115 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@DarthLego I'm certain CBCS would recommend sending the book to them as it is - still in the slab.
Post 116 IP   flag post
Collector Jayzer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyZ
I've got a couple of books that I cracked out of the new CGC slabs last night. I don't really care about missing out on the 20% discount, I just want them in proper slabs.

Did you have any issues with the ink sticking to the case? I've heard that may be an issue...
Post 117 IP   flag post
Collector SleepyZ private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyZ

Did you have any issues with the ink sticking to the case? I've heard that may be an issue...

No, no issues that I was able to see (and I was looking very closely).

I've got a few more books that are coming back to me from CGC in the next week or so that I'll probably just forward on to CBCS. I doubt I'll ever go back to CGC.
Post 118 IP   flag post
Collector Statts private msg quote post Address this user
If I get a new holder for my cgc book do I get the same grade ?
Post 119 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statts

Your book will be regraded just as if it had been received raw, no guarantee that the grade will be the same as what CGC gave it.
Post 120 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

The book will be regarded by CBCS
Post 121 IP   flag post
Collector Statts private msg quote post Address this user
That's what I thought thanks
Post 122 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cause you don't know what you're talking about, So hush. Thickness has nothing to do with paper quality.
Post 123 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Watcher
Quote:

The book will be regarded by CBCS

Will the waves effect the grade? I'm not cracking slabs on expensive 9.8's only to come back 9.6's and pay the CBCS fees on top of it.
Post 124 IP   flag post
If the CGC case has caused waves then your 9.8 is already invalidated. No potential buyer will look at that and think it looks good. If you crack it and the waves stay you might want to press it before regrading.
Post 125 IP   flag post
Collector crossedfan private msg quote post Address this user
Just to get some clarity....If I send CBCS a cgc book in its new holder, they can open it up for me and regrade it? I really don't like opening cases up for fear of damage.
Post 126 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
@crossedfan Yes
Post 127 IP   flag post
Collector crossedfan private msg quote post Address this user
Right On!!
Post 128 IP   flag post
Collector thunsicker private msg quote post Address this user
@sborock Why stop with the new slabs. Many of us are anal enough that we would like all our slabs the same. If we could get all our slabs CBCS at the discount it might be enough to make some of us switch.
Post 129 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunsicker
@sborock Why stop with the new slabs. Many of us are anal enough that we would like all our slabs the same. If we could get all our slabs CBCS at the discount it might be enough to make some of us switch.

This would be cool but don't see it happening.
Post 130 IP   flag post
598021 150 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.