Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Bye CBCS! Never even got to submit a book!4285

He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Funny how this has turned into a discussion of returns. I love comic book forums, a topic not worth discussing can easily turn into one that is...

Is what?! Ugh! They just canceled the series before they could finish that sentence!

But in all seriousness, I know what you mean when it comes to sellers. The one I had mentioned above gave me a reason why that item was shipped from an Amazon.com seller and not them. Plus, I am now waiting on the refund they owe me.
Post 76 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
well, looks like I missed a heck of a lot. Would someone be so kind as to give me a tl;dr version of the past few days here in forum land?
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
well, looks like I missed a heck of a lot. Would someone be so kind as to give me a tl;dr version of the past few days here in forum land?
It seems like some people got banned and people are still upset over the case protection. You really have not missed much IMO.
Post 78 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
It seems like some people got banned and people are still upset over the case protection. You really have not missed much IMO.

Thanks @BrianGreensnips
Much Ado About Nothing, as they say.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

IMHO, the very bottom line is cheerfully accepting returns for any reason is in the eyes of most buyers the difference between an honest, professional seller and a sketchy seller. Just take returns and don't get all worked up about why they are returning it. Doesn't matter why. eBay, PayPal and credit card companies are not going to have your back on a "no returns" policy. If the buyer is determined, you'll end up taking it back.

That's the type of seller that I purchase over and over again from. If they make the transaction easy, and handle it like Wal-Mart/Amazon I keep buying from them. I'm tired of dealing with comic book sellers that seem to think they are doing me a favor by selling me something. They package things poorly, ship items late, have terrible customer service when a problem happens, and then get mad when they get truthful feedback that reflects the buying experience they put their customer through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
If usps mishandle a package it is seller's responsibility - not buyer. The contract is between seller and usps.

If you contact eBay they will relay that same message. They won't help a seller whose package is damaged or lost by the shipper, and they buyer wants a refund. They will side with the buyer who is truthful about the situation, documents it professionally, and is following their policies every time.
Post 80 IP   flag post

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@Towmater A return isn't always the best outcome for the buyer. Why enrich the post office twice when they screwed up in the first place?
Post 81 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
Wow!
Post 82 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I just want to say this about this.

The buyer is paying the seller money for the product DELIVERED to him or her as indicated in the ad. So if it isn't, for whatever reason. The buyer is justified to ask for a return and refund. Minus the shipping charges to and fro. IMO.

Now as for me. When I sell on Ebay or here. I state that a return is okay for any reason, and I will pay the return shipping charges for the item to be sent back to me. But I make it understood that it must be the same item and not the ole' switcheroo. That is why one must scan every book, front and back. And the buyer is told they have three days to notify me of the desire to return a slabbed book, or seven days for a raw book. The reason I give seven instead of three for raw books, is that someone may want an opinion from their local LCS worker, or someone else they don't see every day. But a pro graded and slabbed book is obvious as to the grade and resto, etc.

Okay, back to your Ebay arguments. And good luck!
Post 83 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@conditionfreak

I've purchased from Conditionfreak - no problems or issues and everything was exactly as advertised

I think we need another Conditionfreak sale
-any on the horizon?
Post 84 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
@conditionfreak

I've purchased from Conditionfreak - no problems or issues and everything was exactly as advertised

-any on the horizon?

HaHa Funny you should ask that right now. The wife is off work today and I just asked her what she wanted to do with her day off. A Movie, dinner, visit some relatives, or go to her favorite store (which is in Dayton and an hour and a half drive one way).

She said, "it's raining and I don't want to go anywhere. But it would be a good day to sell some comic books".

I answered her "is there a bad day to sell books?" She said "no".

So I guess I will sell some books today, just because I am bored.

Any particular genre or price range? Anyone? Nothing slabbed, sorry but those stay for now. $1 dollar books? $5.00 books? $10.00 books? $25.00 books?
Post 85 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@conditionfreak What you are missing is by forcing returns, the buyer isn't eating the shipping, the seller is. Otherwise, they wouldn't be so quick to want a return.
Post 86 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
@conditionfreak What you are missing is by forcing returns, the buyer isn't eating the shipping, the seller is. Otherwise, they wouldn't be so quick to want a return.

I'm not missing that. And I am not forcing anyone to do anything they don't want to do.

It's just the way I do business. Money isn't that important to me. Reputation is. Even if I lose money.
Post 87 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
$5.00 books? $10.00 books? $25.00 books?

There may just yet be hope for this crazy useless thread 🍺🍺
Post 88 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Towmater A return isn't always the best outcome for the buyer. Why enrich the post office twice when they screwed up in the first place?

Maybe not some buyers but it is for me. I entered into a transaction for an item described a certain way. I was willing to pay X dollars for the item described a certain way. If it doesn't get to me that way then a return is the solution I am going to take to correct the problem. I don't understand why that is such a big deal to you. It is almost like you expect me to keep a size small shirt even though I purchased a size XL. I'm gonna send that back no matter what amount of money they want to offer. It isn't what I purchased nor can use. The same can be said for a comic that I wanted. If it isn't as described then I can't use it in my collection.
Post 89 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
As for that private shipping insurance and a $200 deductible. Chances are VERY, VERY high that you also must HAVE a signature. NOT delivery confirmation, but SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION. This is something all that have private shipping insurance should check on. You might THINK you have insurance coverage, but if you don't pay for a signature at delivery ($2.45 from USPS), you don't actually have any private shipping insurance coverage.

You have a point. The problem with filing insurance claims is that your rates tend to go up. If I have a $220 loss and a $200 deductible is it worth filing the claim? Probably not.

With that said I have been using signature confirmation on orders $250 and up so I do need to find out if my insurance will fail me on a claim between $200-250 is I send USPS priority mail with tracking but not signature confirmation. I think I would be covered but I am not certain.

It is certainly a possibility that if you file a small claim like you speak of your rates may increase next time. But there is another way to think of this... the same way the insurance company that sold you the private shipping insurance is thinking about this:

Insurance companies pay good salaries to the people that work for them that set rates and calculate risk. Actuaries I think they are called.

So MOST LIKELY the reason the insurance companies have a $200 deductible & require a signature is BECAUSE if if a package is insured for a couple of hundred dollars AND it requires a signature upon delivery, it nearly always, 999 times out of 1000 - arrives safely. The best insurance is never having to file a claim. On Priority mail, with a signature, the loss limit is $2500

With my policy, the loss limit is $50,000 if I ship Registered Mail or use a one day service. Obviously, the actuary believes that if a package is shipped one day - or shipped registered mail - insured and requiring a signature that there is almost NO CHANCE of loss or damage.

So really - insuring a package for $200 and requiring a signature not only puts one in compliance with the terms of a private shipping policy - it also greatly reduces the likelihood of ever needing to file a claim.

The only thing I pay attention to is that it is actually cheaper to insure a package for $300 or $400 than it is to insure for $200 and pay for a signature.

One final note. Some sellers I think misunderstand the purpose of insurance. It's not to protect your buyer. It's to protect you - the seller.
Post 90 IP   flag post
@Towmater Your attitude is no better than that of the bad seller's you guys are whining about.
Post 91 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Towmater Your attitude is no better than that of the bad seller's you guys are whining about.

Dude, to lower the conversation to personal attacks is an interesting choice. Yep, sure is.
Post 92 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:

Dude, to lower the conversation to personal attacks is an interesting choice. Yep, sure is.

You refuse to treat sellers fairly and are using Ebay's policies to force solutions that are impractical because you feel that the seller has some obligation beyond carefully packing and shipping the item you ordered. This is not a personal attack but an observation.
Post 93 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
you feel that the seller has some obligation beyond carefully packing and shipping the item you ordered

Its on the seller to get it to my door. Same around, if I ship a book and it doesnt get to their door safely, its on me to make right. Places like amazon, walmart, and any other decent retailer practices this.
Post 94 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:

You refuse to treat sellers fairly and are using Ebay's policies to force solutions that are impractical because you feel that the seller has some obligation beyond carefully packing and shipping the item you ordered. This is not a personal attack but an observation.

My observation is that you need to look over eBay's policies and understand them better. You advise a seller can take me to court and that I would loose for not helping them deal with a USPS claim. From this post...

Quote:
@Towmater If you mail the cracked slab back to the seller and the seller is unable to collect on postal insurance due to your behavior you are at fault. Not only should you lose the case but if Ebay sides with you the seller could take you to court and win.

I'm still waiting for an answer on how that could happen. eBay's user agreement covers disputes between users. You might want to look it over.
Post 95 IP   flag post
So the seller offers the book for sale in good faith. You the buyer accept the price (or make an offer that is accepted) to buy the book. Seller carefully packs the book and pays for shipping including at least partial (if not full insurance from the post office).

For what ever reason the post office is negligent in handling the package and even though the seller shipped the book that was pictured in the listing in the condition pictured in the listing the book arrives with a small crack in the corner or edge of the case. The book itself and the inner well of the case are unharmed and exactly as they looked in the picture.

Due the the care the seller took to double box the item with plenty of bubble wrap the seller has a winnable case with the post office to cover the cost to repair (re-holder) the damaged case.

To win the case the seller needs at a minimum for the buyer to provide a telephone number. Without this information it is impossible for the seller to file a claim with the post office for any amount.

To win the case the seller also needs the buyer to hold onto the book and the packing materials in case they want to inspect these items. Usually pictures are enough but this is not always the case.

If I understand you correctly, you force a return with Ebay and do nothing to help the seller collect from the post office. Instead of making a profit on the sale the seller has to pay to ship the item to you, to have the item shipped back, and to re-holder the book while giving you a full refund.

The post office was negligent but since you refused to help the seller (you were busy forcing the return through Ebay instead), the post office does not compensate the seller for this negligence leaving the seller out of pocket to re-holder the book before they can relist it for sale.

Your purchase of the item was a contract with the seller involving an offer and an acceptance. By reneging on the offer you caused the buyer to lose the revenue from the sale including the shipping both ways (this is a loss to the seller) and possibly the Ebay fees as well. Your negligence regarding the insurance claim resulted in additional losses for the seller.

Please explain why you don't see a problem with any of this.
Post 96 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos I don't understand how you convince a buyer to cooperate with you? In my experience in selling on ebay, claims about damage or not as described were used by the buyer as a loophole to return something due to remorse. They would open a case, NOT respond to my messages and then escalate it. They win every time, no matter how many times I try to contact them or call ebay. Taking them to small claims court is possible but you will have to actually travel to their state to file because they do not do business in your home state. So the cost of travel to file a claim is usually more than the item, thus pointless.
Post 97 IP   flag post
@KingNampa

I just tell the buyer that everything is cool and that I will take care of it. Sometimes they do not know how to do a re-holder and I will give them the website, a PDF copy of the form, the phone number, and e-mail of the grading company. Then I explain how a re-holder submission only takes about two weeks to get the book back and how they come out ahead.

Buyer - "I get $50 and I get to keep the book. It's Miller time."

Also, I really do pack well (I am always getting comments about it in my feedback). It would be very hard for a seller to look at something I packed and blame me if something went wrong.

Small claims is not worth the time and effort but an SOB with too much time on his hands could probably win if he really wanted to (especially if the buyer has a job or better things to do).

I was just making a point that Ebay is not the sole arbiter and that most of the facts are on the seller's side.
Post 98 IP   flag post
@KingNampa Also, the first thing to do when a buyer says not as described is to ask for pictures of the damage. I tell them I need it for the insurance.
Post 99 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
@conditionfreak

-any on the horizon?

HaHa Funny you should ask that right now. The wife is off work today and I just asked her what she wanted to do with her day off. A Movie, dinner, visit some relatives, or go to her favorite store (which is in Dayton and an hour and a half drive one way).

She said, "it's raining and I don't want to go anywhere. But it would be a good day to sell some comic books".

I answered her "is there a bad day to sell books?" She said "no".

So I guess I will sell some books today, just because I am bored.

Any particular genre or price range? Anyone? Nothing slabbed, sorry but those stay for now. $1 dollar books? $5.00 books? $10.00 books? $25.00 books?

I come to this forum everyday in hopes of seeing another @conditionfreak sale. The other two were the stuff of legend.
Post 100 IP   flag post
Quote:
So the seller offers the book for sale in good faith. You the buyer accept the price (or make an offer that is accepted) to buy the book. Seller carefully packs the book and pays for shipping including at least partial (if not full insurance from the post office).

For what ever reason the post office is negligent in handling the package and even though the seller shipped the book that was pictured in the listing in the condition pictured in the listing the book arrives with a small crack in the corner or edge of the case. The book itself and the inner well of the case are unharmed and exactly as they looked in the picture.

Due the the care the seller took to double box the item with plenty of bubble wrap the seller has a winnable case with the post office to cover the cost to repair (re-holder) the damaged case.

To win the case the seller needs at a minimum for the buyer to provide a telephone number. Without this information it is impossible for the seller to file a claim with the post office for any amount.

To win the case the seller also needs the buyer to hold onto the book and the packing materials in case they want to inspect these items. Usually pictures are enough but this is not always the case.

If I understand you correctly, you force a return with Ebay and do nothing to help the seller collect from the post office. Instead of making a profit on the sale the seller has to pay to ship the item to you, to have the item shipped back, and to re-holder the book while giving you a full refund.

The post office was negligent but since you refused to help the seller (you were busy forcing the return through Ebay instead), the post office does not compensate the seller for this negligence leaving the seller out of pocket to re-holder the book before they can relist it for sale.

Your purchase of the item was a contract with the seller involving an offer and an acceptance. By reneging on the offer you caused the buyer to lose the revenue from the sale including the shipping both ways (this is a loss to the seller) and possibly the Ebay fees as well. Your negligence regarding the insurance claim resulted in additional losses for the seller.

Please explain why you don't see a problem with any of this.

My contract or agreement is with the seller to provide a good as described via a purchase on the eBay platform. If the item arrives damaged or different than that shown/described in the listing then the policies of eBay take effect. I'm following the policies of the website that I am using and agree to when I signed-up and when they update them. I'm not under any obligation to help/render assistance to a seller in a dispute over an item damaged by the shipping company. To expect me to render assistance after a seller made me jump through hoops to get a return is asinine.
Post 101 IP   flag post
@Towmater How did the seller make you jump through hoops?
Post 102 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@KingNampa Also, the first thing to do when a buyer says not as described is to ask for pictures of the damage. I tell them I need it for the insurance.

"Not as described" does not necessarily mean Damaged.

I might suggest you not sell on Ebay. It's clear you don't fully understand a good business model.

"The customer IS always right"

Complete the return with a smile an Move on.

Ive been selling on Ebay for over 10 years and have NEVER had a book returned.

If your experiencing high return rates and requests, I can't help but think its something
your doing on your end.
The fact that you continue to argue the plainly clear facts leads me to believe I probably
wouldn't want to do business with You.
Post 103 IP   flag post
@BigRedOne1944 I have not had any returns either.
Post 104 IP   flag post
@drchaos You stated "you were busy forcing the return through Ebay instead".

If I'm busy forcing a return, I have gotten to the point in which I had to do that. According to eBay policy I have contacted the seller advising them that the item arrived damage. I explained to them how it was damaged and provided pictures showing them that the item was damaged. I use eBay messages to do this. Why? eBay messages is part of eBay and eBay's representatives can look at the message(s) and see that I had an issue an attempted to correct it in a professional courteous way. I asked for them let me return the item and asked them to advise how they were going to handle the return postage. If they advise that they aren't going to accept the return or that they aren't going to pay for the return postage then I have to start the process of starting a "item not as described" case. The hoops start there. (Most sellers know they can wait 4 or 5 days before authorizing or declining the request). It just involves me spending more time trying to correct an issue that could have been handled under much friendlier terms if the seller had care enough to act professionally.
Post 105 IP   flag post
600866 160 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?