Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Bye CBCS! Never even got to submit a book!4285

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I'm with @drchaos on this one. I stopped accepting returns when I had someone tell me their kid simply didn't like the vintage SNES game they bought from me.

That is not a valid reason for a return, but since, at the time, I accepted returns I was obligated to oblige her. That was the last straw for me as a seller.

Yes, I could probably make more sales if I clicked that little box, but it isn't worth the headache.

Of course, if someone has an actual issue, I'll work with them. But by saying I don't accept returns, it has cut way way down on the shenanigans.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Top Rated seller status is not what is used to be. For once the fee discount is 10% (lowered from 20% earlier this year). At the same time the fees got hiked for all sellers with a shop. Even as a top rated seller - you can choose which item you would offer return on. Just that if you choose not to offer return that listing will not show top rated seller.

Finally - reasons for not offer returns on slabs and preorders:

Slabs: Buyer knows what he get. If there is an issue with the slab - doesn't really matter whether one offer return on not

Preorders: should be fair to both buyer and seller. Not fair if a buyer can return a preorder just because the price decreased. But hey there is a way around everything - but will keep those to myself
Post 27 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944 Once again I will say that I 100% disagree with you. While I am sure that there are shady sellers on Ebay (especially since I have dealt with them) there are far more shady and simply careless Ebay buyers.

Buyers are 100% protected against shady sellers and 99% protected from honest sellers by Ebay. That no returns policy (and even better the blocked bidder list) is the only place where I as a seller get any protection from frivolous buyers. Once you pay for the book and accept shipment from the post office (after I have paid USPS hanseomely) the slabbed book is yours and can not be returned.

Sometimes despite my best efforts to double box the slab with plenty of bubble wrap the book will arrive with a cracked case. In those cases I file the claim with the post office and work with the buyer to get the full $50 from USPS and pass it along to the buyer for their trouble to get the case re-slabbed. I also educate buyers that do not know how to re-slab their books.

Some day soon I will start selling raw books and trade paperbacks where I will have to accept returns on those items. If anyone needs to be worried about who is reputable it is me.
Post 28 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Look, I'll admit I'm on the fence at the moment. But I like CBCS. I have many more of their slabs than CGC. But the security issues brought up recently scare me a bit.

I know how you feel. I am reluctant to submit anything to PGX because they promote the durability of their own slabs, but not once mention the longevity of their wells. Plus, I do not like their labels. And with CGC, three of the four issues I did purchase on eBay had heavy signs of QC issues. Plus, there are similar videos that include CGC label swaps.

But despite that, our only options are to either have us boycott the sales of slabbed comics or find a way to combat this while they find a better solution. I think the former is easier because it gives us a "buyer beware" topic, as well another to help new slab collectors find honest sellers that might also not be members here. Simple stuff like that, and none of the mods "Nigel-ing the nadabigs".
Post 29 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
I'm with @drchaos on this one. I stopped accepting returns when I had someone tell me their kid simply didn't like the vintage SNES game they bought from me.

That is not a valid reason for a return, but since, at the time, I accepted returns I was obligated to oblige her. That was the last straw for me as a seller.

Yes, I could probably make more sales if I clicked that little box, but it isn't worth the headache.

Of course, if someone has an actual issue, I'll work with them. But by saying I don't accept returns, it has cut way way down on the shenanigans.

I don't think you guys are getting the point

It doesn't matter weather you click "That little box" or not.

If your selling on Ebay YOU WILL accept returns no matter what. You simply do not have a choice.

If a buyer opens a claim and request a return Ebay WILL side with the buyer 99.9% of the time, and you will accept the return. Its as simple as that. Your only recourse as a Seller is to block the buyer from future purchases.

In over ten years on Ebay Ive never had a returned book and only the one card I mentioned. I think I'll stay with my return policy.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
True. e-bay will make me accept a return. But it cuts down on frivolous attempts when you don't outrightly accept them.

You're fortunate to not have had returns. I've had too many silly excuses for returns that boiled down to buyer's remorse.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos

Some day soon I will start selling raw books and trade paperbacks where I will have to accept returns on those items. If anyone needs to be worried about who is reputable it is me.

Completely different ballgame than selling slabs. You may wish to think twice
Post 32 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Can anyone name a company that has not had theft from them. or at the very least, attempts of theft?

Same goes for Ebay sales. You use their services and you have to play by Ebay's rules. Sort of like this CBCS website.

Their rules are that the buyer gets the benefit of the doubt in all transactions. That is how they maintain their customer base. It ain't about your business practices or your rules. It is about EBay's rules and business practices.

Unless things have changed recently. I have not sold on Ebay in quite awhile, but when I did. They ruled, and they bend over backwards to please buyers. They pay little attention to sellers.

It is best to understand that any business, large or small, suffers bad customers (and employees too). It is known as "the cost of doing business".

USPS gets scammed. Fed Ex gets scammed. Pepsi gets scammed. WalMart gets scammed (a lot), and I have been scammed on Ebay, and on and on.
Post 33 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I have yet to accept a return on a slabbed book. If a slabbed book arrives with a cracked case and you are willing to work with the buyer and compensate them for the cost of the re-holder there is no reason to expect that Ebay will rule against you.

When insurance is involved it is impossible for a seller to file a successful claim without cooperation from the buyer. USPS will want the buyer's telephone number (not provided by Paypal) and will contact the buyer to confirm the seller's story and to find out how the book was packed. The buyer may even have to bring the book and packaging to their local post office for inspection.

While greed plays a part (I offer the buyers the full $50 of free insurance) part of the reason the buyers are willing to work with me is that their failure to help me with the insurance claim could end up with them getting nothing more than a book with a cracked case (should Ebay take my side).
Post 34 IP   flag post
@poka There is a reason I am dragging my feet. First step is to write up a return policy that may give me any protection at all.
Post 35 IP   flag post
@drchaos Not sure it would help much. I have not had a return for more than a year and all of a sudden I have 4! 1) Newbie who bought a NM but requested return because not NM/Mint - sigh - pressed the wrong button late at night. He has yet to return the book though. 2) Package mishandled by USPS - fair enough. 3) Cheat who most likely has tried to swap a book - still with ebay. 4) Most likely buyer's remorse who refused delivery of package.

In addition, remember that if ebay reject buyers claim - buyer still has a second chance via paypal if that was the payment mean.
Post 36 IP   flag post
@poka I tried a few auctions earlier this year and the buyer's remorse went through the roof. They key to low returns on raw books unfortunately seems to be low prices. At least I will be able to cut down my inventory to make room for better books.
Post 37 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos and @poka I can only imagine the anxiety you must be going through. I hope what little advice I can offer helps in some way:

1) Always offer to submit photo updates that range from pre-packing, to how you pack it, and what the box looks like. Also add a piece of paper that shows it is their item, and not a generic pic. And with a fully detailed sales receipt, include the same serial/registry number shown on the label. And save these for the duration of time needed to make sure they cannot screw you over in some way.

2) When it comes to your policies, add a notice that every item has been documented for security/protective reasons, and you that hold no responsibility for the handling of these items once they have been shipped. Both factors will have you own proof that the buyer got what they had purchased, and any damage would have USPS/FedEX/UPS/etc. be held responsible.

All I can say is that giving these little bonuses can help ease any tension the buyer might feel. And it also gives the seller a reasonable means of proving that the item they shipped was the same one they sold. With CBCS/CGC/PGX data for slabs, and similar system for raw/bagged copies.

And even if it doesn't... Good luck out there.
Post 38 IP   flag post
@Instant_Subtitles thanks for your advise. I don't really feel anxiety - as it is part of selling - more annoyed.

@drchaos - I am considering reducing my inventory of raw books and focus on slabs - but the key difference between what you and I sell is that I focus on the low value slabs - the high value slabs I sell through a 3rd party as I don't wish to go through ebay/paypal
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I have yet to accept a return on a slabbed book. If a slabbed book arrives with a cracked case and you are willing to work with the buyer and compensate them for the cost of the re-holder there is no reason to expect that Ebay will rule against you.

When insurance is involved it is impossible for a seller to file a successful claim without cooperation from the buyer. USPS will want the buyer's telephone number (not provided by Paypal) and will contact the buyer to confirm the seller's story and to find out how the book was packed. The buyer may even have to bring the book and packaging to their local post office for inspection.

While greed plays a part (I offer the buyers the full $50 of free insurance) part of the reason the buyers are willing to work with me is that their failure to help me with the insurance claim could end up with them getting nothing more than a book with a cracked case (should Ebay take my side).

Living in a fantasy.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayspeedster
From banning board members to lack of response on the magnitude of security issues, I've had enough.

I'll take a break from CBCS site for a while to reevaluate things. Maybe one of the companies will make a break through, maybe not. Either way, you've alienated me and I wasn't even a paying customer yet!

Bannings happen and other issues cannot be solved instantaneously. It is really too bad that people expect solution to everything right away in this day and age but the fact is that very few business related things can be solved.

So far CBCS has said they will deal with the issues so I expect they will. Just not as fast as the "gimmee now" generation expects.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
It's not like CBCS doesn't have other things going on now that we ALL are aware of. Anyone that expects CBCS employees to prioritize replying to forum posts or business issues over protecting themselves and their loved ones is just plain unreasonable.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector PeteN private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
It's not like CBCS doesn't have other things going on now that we ALL are aware of. Anyone that expects CBCS employees to prioritize replying to forum posts or business issues over protecting themselves and their loved ones is just plain unreasonable.

I don't believe anyone would disagree with you, in that CBCS should be dealing with business issues at the current time in light of Irma...but it seems some folks are upset there has been no response from weeks prior or some I forget who said the issue with the case was months ago? However, I didn't know about the issue until the youtube video posted here a month or so ago.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

If the buyer doesn't want to work it out with you, and he/she starts a case for item not as described you'll take a return. It arrived "not as described" in your listing and eBay will make the seller take the return once a case is started even if the seller doesn't want to take it back.

If I purchase a book and it arrived with a cracked slab, then it is going back to the seller and they are paying for the return postage. Just the way I do business on eBay. Why? I bought the book shown and described a certain way. If I had wanted to purchase it in some other condition I would have bought it that way. The insurance and everything else isn't a part of me following policy as a buyer on eBay. To expect me (as a the seller's customer) to live up to rules outside of eBay's policies isn't going to happen. That's poor customer service.
Post 44 IP   flag post
@Towmater If you mail the cracked slab back to the seller and the seller is unable to collect on postal insurance due to your behavior you are at fault. Not only should you lose the case but if Ebay sides with you the seller could take you to court and win.

If nothing else you are burning bridges with a seller who has done nothing wrong and you will get blocked from future purchases by that seller.

If this is how you operate, please PM me your Ebay user ID so I can block you now.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Towmater If you mail the cracked slab back to the seller and the seller is unable to collect on postal insurance due to your behavior you are at fault. Not only should you lose the case but if Ebay sides with you the seller could take you to court and win.

If nothing else you are burning bridges with a seller who has done nothing wrong and you will get blocked from future purchases by that seller.

If this is how you operate, please PM me your Ebay user ID so I can block you now.

I'm at fault for a slab that arrived different than I ordered it and started a case on eBay under their "not as described" policy? Help me understand that. I'm not going to lose the "item not as described" case. How do I know I won't? Because I have won several dealing with boneheaded sellers that didn't want to take a return for an item that arrived in a condition other than shown/described in their listing. You start the case and attach photos of the issues you describe that show it arrived differently than the seller described it. If they won't authorize the return, then you escalate it so an eBay representative makes the decision. Guess what? 100% of the time when a boneheaded seller won't take the return eBay makes them do it by issuing a return label. Once it arrives eBay forces a return payment via paypal.

I could care less about burning a bridge of a seller who ships items that don't arrive as described, and makes me jump through hoops to force a return. If they don't want to provide good customer service, and don't care enough about the items they sell to package them properly then I wasn't going to ever order from them again anyway.
Post 46 IP   flag post
@Towmater If that is how you feel I don't think I am going to change your mind. Again, please PM me your e-mail address so you can avoid dealing with this blockhead seller.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Towmater If that is how you feel I don't think I am going to change your mind. Again, please PM me your e-mail address so you can avoid dealing with this blockhead seller.

If you provide quality service, ship things properly so they don't arrive damaged, and operate within eBay policies I have to ask why you label yourself a "blockhead seller"? If you do those things then you wouldn't be one would you? Also, you didn't answer my question about how I would be at fault or taken to court for filing a item not as described case and forcing a return following eBay's policies.
Post 48 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Thread is starting to show shades of crazy.
Post 49 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Thread is starting to show shades of crazy.

Starting to? It was crazy from the get-go

Post 50 IP   flag post
@Towmater I double box everything but have still had two packages arrive with cracked cases despite my best efforts. The truth is that the plastic cases are fragile and it is not the seller's fault if the gorillas as USPS wreck your package. If the seller packed the books carefully and your shipment was insured your beef is with USPS and not the seller.

Forcing a return at the seller's expense without helping them file a claim with the post office is acting in bad faith. The dollars are small enough that you are not likely to get sued but if a seller is angry enough and has a lot of time on his hands he could make your life interesting.

If you don't get my point I really would prefer to avoid doing business with you.
Post 51 IP   flag post
FWIW, any eBay seller that has a "store" should act like they are store and except returns for any reason whatsoever. 'tis the cost of a legit retail business.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
FWIW, any eBay seller that has a "store" should act like they are store and except returns for any reason whatsoever. 'tis the cost of a legit retail business.

Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer

It is the sure path to bankruptcy. EBay buyers are a flighty bunch and paying shipping both ways on a transaction where you refund all of your revenues is an outcome to avoid at all costs.

Most eBay sellers are operating on thin margins. Not every business can be Amazon. Also, there is no shipping fairy. I will never understand why buyers expect to pay for the book itself and assume the seller should eat the shipping for some reason. eBay sellers have a bad name but buyers are the worst.
Post 54 IP   flag post
@drchaos I do agree that there should be a reasonable "line" where the seller does not have to pay return shipping. As an example if I order something from Amazon and then just flat out decide I don't really want it, I would expect that I pay shipping.
Post 55 IP   flag post
598062 160 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?