Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

House of Secrets 92 Cover Only4281

Collector Magellan private msg quote post Address this user
Quick question: How much of a grade bump would it give by adding a detached cover to a coverless comic?

Follow-up question: Does anyone out there A) have only the cover to House of Secrets 92, and B) want to sell it? 😜
Post 1 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Uncertain of the exact increase in grade, however it would have a "Married" notation on the label.

Edited.
Post 2 IP   flag post
No problem with the restored label here! I just don't particularly want to grade it coverless.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Mef private msg quote post Address this user
Grats on your book! I wish you luck on finding a cover!
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magellan
No problem with the restored label here! I just don't particularly want to grade it coverless.

FYI married isnt considered restored. Just marked married. I would imagine because you arent adding anything foreign to "restore" the book; you're adding original content
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Mef thanks!!!
Post 6 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer Thanks for the input! I was curious about that since I would essentially be adding a cover from a different book. Wasn't sure if that was enough to warrant a restored label.

Are there services that would marry the two or would it be better to just leave it as a detached cover?

Wishful thinking this all is, of course. It's gonna be a long road to find a cover, I'd wager.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I have a graded married, it got a 3.0. I also have a graded cover less. It got a NG
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
There are companies that can do the work. I believe Hero Restoration is one. I've never used them but others have said good things about them.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
From what I've seen, a coverless book can get a .3 grade.

Someone posted a detached cover, Hulk #1 that came back with a 1.8 grade.

I'm curious to know if the 3.0 @doog is referring to had the married cover attached? I'd assume so.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@doog That's what I'm afraid of! I'd much rather go for the higher grade if I can.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@jrs Thanks!! I'll definitely look them up if I can track down the cover : )
Post 12 IP   flag post
@00slim I'm going to assume you're right. Depending on the cost to reattach, it could definitely be worth the bump from a 1.8 to a 3.0!
Post 13 IP   flag post
It was attached by me, and the label says married. I would post a picture but I am replacing the flooring in my entire house and everything is deeply buried.
Post 14 IP   flag post
It's an Uncanny Tales 26. Found the cover less on EBay. Used the cover less staples, the cover got new staple holes to match the cover less locations. Turned out good looking, and I felt the cover was worthy of a slab
Post 15 IP   flag post
Going with a hickory floor by the way, dramatic!
Post 16 IP   flag post
@doog That's awesome! Did you use the original staples and put them back in manually or use new staples?

Clearly, though, you have more important things to attend to, so... no rush. I just redid three of my rooms a few months ago so I know how much of a headache it can be!
Post 17 IP   flag post
@doog Nice! Real wood or laminate?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Real wood. I used the staples from the cover less, carefully straightened and removed them , then matched and used a pin through the cover less holes through the cover to get the right spots on the cover. I should add something else regarding grading. When I started collecting just 3 years ago, I sent a couple golden age books in to that other company, one had 1 detached cover, and one had a detached centerfold. Both came back with neither defect noted, and higher grades than expected. Couldn't tell once they were stabbed, but I know.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@doog Good to know! I dot trust my skill or dexterity to undertake an operation like that by myself. I'd probably do a lot more damage than good!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Wouldn't the grade really depend on the condition of the married cover? I would think it would go from a .3 (coverless) to whatever the condition of the new cover with a notation of being married.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Yes, I think he was just wondering about the range of what could be the potential grade jump. The condition of the cover is a huge factor.
Post 22 IP   flag post
@50AE_DE That's fair. Of course, you're right. The overall grade would largely depend on the quality of the individual pieces. I mainly just wondered if there was a large deduction for a joined or married cover.
Post 23 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magellan
@doog Nice! Real wood or laminate?

I recently did my entire first floor in Bamboo, except tiled the bathroom. Some work for sure.

Remember, measure twice and cut once.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@conditionfreak Shit, I had that backwards. No wonder it took me so long...
Post 25 IP   flag post
It's gonna be tough tracking down a loose cover for that book, but add an alert to your e-bay account & you might luck out. Rooting for ya, bud.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@00slim good call! I'll do that right now. Thanks!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
@Magellan

I don't think there would be a deduction for adding a cover since you're increasing the eye appeal of a coverless book.
Post 28 IP   flag post
@50AE_DE That's can I'm hoping for, though, this is purely hypothetical at the moment.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector nikki666666 private msg quote post Address this user
What colour label would a married cover get given? Still blue??
Post 30 IP   flag post
600782 55 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?