Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Look, we all want CBCS to succeed.4263

COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
But what the heck is going on?

I mean, with the slab security situation. The "anybody can witness signatures, even you" situation. And the "check facebook if you want to know anything about these CBCS situations" situation.

Am I wrong in thinking these things are NOT good for business, and thus NOT good for our own CBCS graded books.

I would be very pleased if CBCS became the premiere professional grading company, but I want CGC to stay around too. Just to keep CBCS sharp and on their toes. Competition makes everyone try harder and more innovative.

This is me begging for a response on the CBCS web site. I realize that a storm is brewing and will probably hit Florida this weekend. But you might want to mention something here about this and that.

Just sayin'.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I'll give a pass to you can witness your own books...maybe with a caveat?

Maybe can't witness own books if CBCS/CGC are at the con?

Smaller conventions still get good writers/artists that one would like witnessed but for whatever reason neither CBCS nor CGC are there - what are you to do??

A few years back Neil Adams was brought in by my LCS before a convention - no witnessing/grading company at either but ample proof the signatures are real
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
The "anybody can witness signatures, even you" situation.

And not just that, but you can witness your own books, as well.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertofredrico
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
The "anybody can witness signatures, even you" situation.

And not just that, but you can witness your own books, as well.

Did I miss something? Is this new?
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Witnessing own books is an extremely dangerous dragon. All it takes is one guy to forge 500 signatures (worth $80 each at a value of $40k??) get caught and the entire CBCS yellow label value goes in the shitter.

Its not that difficult to meet up with a fellow AW to witness your books. You dont need CBCS to be there, just another witness.

@conditionfreak I said basically the same thing to the powers that be. They thanked me for my input, said they are actively working on some changes, and would be making announcements at some point as to what those changes are.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@conditionfreak pls refer to this announcement https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/4253/page/1/important-hurricane-announcement/#14
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Witnessing own books is an extremely dangerous dragon. All it takes is one guy to forge 500 signatures (worth $80 each at a value of $40k??) get caught and the entire CBCS yellow label value goes in the shitter.

Its not that difficult to meet up with a fellow AW to witness your books. You dont need CBCS to be there, just another witness.

@conditionfreak I said basically the same thing to the powers that be. They thanked me for my input, said they are actively working on some changes, and would be making announcements at some point as to what those changes are.

Indeed. I saw a documentary a few years ago about autograph hunting in general but specifically in the pop industry and the conclusion that over 80% of autographs were fakes didn't seem to faze the collectors interviewed at all. They were all insistent that theirs were genuine.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
It reminds me of the old saying "it's not the crime, it's the cover up." I haven't seen anything yet that makes me think CBCS is doomed to fail. The slab security issue can be addressed in, I'm sure, a number of ways and we can just move past it. The AW program can be tightened up. But it's the failure to address the issues at all that is destroying credibility. My reason for using CBCS was always primarily that I like the up and comer, and I found CGC to be a little arrogant, largely because they wouldn't acknowledge their slab issues when it was obvious to everyone.

Learn from their mistakes. Get out in front of this.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
The only ones I know for sure are real are the ones I waited in line for/witnessed myself - everything else is just to reduce the probability they are fake.

CGC/CBCS witnessed - reduces a lot
CBCS verified - pretty good chance is real
Dynamic Forces COA as ordered though monthly Diamond book - pretty good chance is real.
Dynamic Forces COA (or any other) - from ebay - could easily be fake

I primarily like CBCS for the verification - I have many books signed that pre-date CGC or are from when they just started and were not at all cons (either themselves or authorized witnesses)
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
I'll give a pass to you can witness your own books...maybe with a caveat?

Maybe can't witness own books if CBCS/CGC are at the con?

Smaller conventions still get good writers/artists that one would like witnessed but for whatever reason neither CBCS nor CGC are there - what are you to do??

A few years back Neil Adams was brought in by my LCS before a convention - no witnessing/grading company at either but ample proof the signatures are real

"Maybe with a caveat...?"

A photo of you and the artist with the signed book, including a members pass showing you attended the convention or signing?

But even then, "Photoshoppers" would get involved to ruin that method.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@ZosoRocks good in theory, until someone uses the same photograph 100 times for 99 fake sigs 😁
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@conditionfreak Could you please elaborate on witnessing your own signatures? Does that mean the VSP program is gone and everything will be yellow labels now? Where do you get this form to fill out to witness for yourself?
Post 12 IP   flag post
@KingNampa heres some light reading, you may have missed this thread. VSP is not gone

https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/4168/page/4/artist-signature-exceptions/#95
Post 13 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Photo idea doesn't work for celebrities who refuse or charge extra for photos.

For those critical of people witnessing their own books I would argue that it makes little sense to risk forging the signature of an artist at a venue where you are an authorized witness and capable of lining up to get the actual signature. I would hope anyone that lazy wouldn't get authorized to begin with.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer Holy Sh*t. Wow I missed that. I'm taking a break from Submitting to CBCS until they seriously resolve their issues and address them Publicly. At this point I trust CGC and even PGX more with my books.

Strike 1: Current Version of Case isn't tamper evident
Strike 2: Sketchy Self-Witnessing Program no matter how they want to spin it.
Strike 3: Sub-Par Turn around times on pressing and grading

Peace out!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@shrewbeer Holy Sh*t. Wow I missed that. I'm taking a break from Submitting to CBCS until they seriously resolve their issues and address them Publicly. At this point I trust CGC and even PGX more with my books.

Peace out!

I am beginning to agree with this approach.
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
I have to admit. It is frustrating that they won't address any of these issues outright. Getting ahead of the situation allows them room to move. Waiting this long no matter what they say it just feels like exscuses.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine
I have to admit. It is frustrating that they won't address any of these issues outright. Getting ahead of the situation allows them room to move. Waiting this long no matter what they say it just feels like exscuses.

It also just seems so out of character for this company, which has always seemed to put the hobby first. It makes me wonder who is calling the shots on this issue.

This company has built up a lot of goodwill and it seems crazy that they would burn that hard earned political capital like this.
Post 18 IP   flag post
@Themaxx35 @Wolverine

Let's stop the notion that CBCS cares more about the hobby than making money, etc. Actions speak louder than words.

I called today to ask about why my books haven't been marked as received. Tracking showed they arrived more than a week ago. The response from Jake was, "oh we've been short staffed last 2 weeks because we were all away at Cons." Basically that corresponds with the fact they haven't updated their TAT in 2 weeks. So I take that as basically they haven't been doing any work towards receiving/grading/shipping for 2 weeks! Their actions show they would rather go out and collect more orders $$$ than take care of their existing Customers. What do you guys think?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Very aggressive marketing strategy, creating fast growth at the expense of service.

Could be just piling up acorns for the winter though; I've run a summer strategy like that in the construction market. Idk if it compares (if they are actually slow in winter and thus need it)
Post 20 IP   flag post
@KingNampa I can understand being short staffed to some degree, but again it comes down to communicating. Post something that says hey everyone just to let you know running a little behind but here's what we're doing to work through it (admittedly Steve did something like this in his hurricane post), but they don't seem to do this. They wait until critical mass. First time I noticed this was the huge backlog in May or so. The TATs weren't updated for a long time. Steve had to start batting down complaints in the TAT thread, but just get out in front and defuse the situation before you get the complaints.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
First of all, thank you @conditionfreak for starting this thread.

Second:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa

Peace out! [/quote

I'd like to add to this list the need to eliminate the rough edges from the CBCS molds that caused Myke so much trouble.

And who is in charge? Is Steve Borock in the Driver's seat?

The self-witnessed yellow label concept is scary. CBCS, please put us at ease, here.

I think my next batch of books is going to CGC if this stuff isn't addressed here & soon.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Hmmm, that's a weird glitch. I didn't add my input to the quote.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Witnessing own books is an extremely dangerous dragon.

Just read that other thread. Wow.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@KingNampa I think that during the height of convention season turn around times will be slower than normal at both grading companies.

Boston and Terrificon we're back to back weekends. While I had a week off before Toronto I am pretty sure Marc has been on the road for at least 5 or 6 consecutive weekends. Keep in mind that we are talking about 3 day shows with 4 days in Toronto.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
Quote:
Witnessing own books is an extremely dangerous dragon.

Just read that other thread. Wow.

Yes that is scary. I'm selling off all my witnessed and VSP CBCS books ASAP. I fear news of this might affect resell value. Not too worried about unsigned as I can resubmit them to other companies at a later time.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@drchaos I get it. But referring back to what TheMaxx said....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaxx35
@KingNampa I can understand being short staffed to some degree, but again it comes down to communicating. Post something that says hey everyone just to let you know running a little behind but here's what we're doing to work through it (admittedly Steve did something like this in his hurricane post), but they don't seem to do this. They wait until critical mass. First time I noticed this was the huge backlog in May or so. The TATs weren't updated for a long time. Steve had to start batting down complaints in the TAT thread, but just get out in front and defuse the situation before you get the complaints.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Very aggressive marketing strategy, creating fast growth at the expense of service.

Could be just piling up acorns for the winter though; I've run a summer strategy like that in the construction market. Idk if it compares (if they are actually slow in winter and thus need it)

Perhaps they should just stick to grading for the near future.
Perhaps the diversification into attending cons and signature verification and indeed pressing has stretched them too far so that a weather bomb such as this has exposed just how stretched they are?
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
How about hiring more people? If it takes 6 months to perform a paid service, the company must be understaffed.
Post 29 IP   flag post
It is easy for those of us who are regulars here to forget that this forum is relatively new while CBCS has been on Facebook for years.

Instead of waiting for a response here it is easy enough to call or e-mail CBCS if you really want answers sooner than later.

I have submitted over 1,000 books to the other guys and have nothing but good things to say about customer service at CBCS.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601285 49 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.