Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver Age

Must-Have Collected Editions4260

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
So not everyone has the desire to hunt down original floppies but still want to read the stories. I thought it'd be neat if we started a list of the must-have collected editions (hard or soft covers) for people who don't collect floppies but are still interested in the stories and history of comics.

The top consideration are the contents of course, but presentation and bonus content should also be considered.

My first submission to this list is

Marvel 75th Anniversary Omnibus

Summary:
So this book is basically a crash-course in Marvel history with stories from 1941 through 2013. The book contains many first-appearances as well as some whole and partial significant stories, such as the coming of Galactus, the Death of Captain Marvel, Days of Future Past, Marvels, and the ASM 9/11 issue.

Bonuses:
The only bonus feature is a a fan-voted list of the "75 Greatest Marvel Comics of All Time" with brief descriptions for each entry. It's a fun list but my big problem with it is that Civil War was ranked #2.

Contents:
"Captain Merica Comics" (1941)
#1 (First Appearance of Captain America)

“Fantastic Four” (1961)
#1 (debut of Fantastic Four)
#48-50 (“Galactus Trilogy”)
#285 (“Hero,” by John Byrne)

“Hulk” (1962)
#1 (First appearance of the Hulk)

"Amazing Fantasy"
#15 (First appearance of Spider-Man)

“Avengers” (1963)
#1 (debut of The Avengers)
#57 (first appearance of The Vision”)

“Amazing Spider-Man” (1963)
#31-33 (“If This Be My Destiny…!”)
#50 (“Spider-Man No More!”)
#121-122 (“The Night Gwen Stacy Died”)

“Incredible Hulk” (1968)
#181 (first appearance of Wolverine)

“Giant-Size X-Men” #1(debut of new X-Men team)

“X-Men” (1963)
#141-142 (“Days of Future Past”)

“Daredevil” (1964)
#181 (death of Elektra)

“Marvel Graphic Novel”
#1 (“The Death of Captain Marvel”)
#5 (“X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills”)

“Thor” (1966)
#337 (first appearance of Beta Ray Bill)

“Marvels”

“X-Men Alpha” (first issue of “Age of Apocalypse” event)

“Thunderbolts” (1997)
#1 (first Thunderbolts appearance)

“Amazing Spider-Man” (1999)
#36 (Sept. 11 tribute issue)

“The Ultimates” (2002)
#1 (debut of The Ultimates)

“Captain America” (2005)
#25 (“The Death of Captain America”)

"Amazing Spider-Man"
#700 (start of the Superior Spider-Man)

“Hawkeye” (2012)
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Your definition of a floppy is different from mine.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I would add any of Swamp Thing, if one exists. I have the "floppy" run.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Complete Frank Miller Batman

Summary:
The title may be a little out of date but it does mean you're getting some of Miller's classic Batman stories without any of the Dark Knight Strikes Again or All-Star Batman and Robin nonsense. The book is nicely bound in leather like the kind of book you'd keep in a study complete with marbled end sheets and foil-gilded edges.

Bonuses:
The book includes and introduction by Richard Brunning, some thoughts behind the Dark Knight Returns from Frank Miller, and an essay on Batman and Frank Miller's take on the character from Alan Moore.

Contents:

Batman
#404-407 (Batman: Year One)

DC Special Series
#21 (Wanted: Santa Claus Dead or Alive ; illustrated by Miller)

Dark Knight Returns
#1-4
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Zarbongo private msg quote post Address this user

Watchmen leatherbound HC. Collects all the original books. Limited release. Nice slipcase. The leather was actually taken from Alan Moore's thigh.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
I would add any of Swamp Thing, if one exists. I have the "floppy" run.

This is currently back up for pre-Oder on Amazon. It was canceled once already, so, I'm eager to finally get it!

Contents:
HOUSE OF SECRETS #92, SWAMP THING #1-24, BRAVE AND THE BOLD #122 & #176, CHALLENGERS OF THE UNKNOWN #83-87, DC PRESENTS #8, SAGA OF THE SWAMP THING #1-18 and SAGA OF THE SWAMP THING ANNUAL #1.

Swamp Thing: The Bronze Age Omnibus Vol. 1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/1401273785/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_7r2SzbHFWN217
Post 6 IP   flag post
Punisher: Back to the War Omnibus

Summary:
This omnibus collects most, if not all, of the Punisher's early appearances starting with ASM 129 through to his first mini-series, Circle of Blood. It's a solid collection. Sure a lot of these are collected elsewhere but this brings them all together as Punisher stories.

Bonuses:
The book includes a brand new introduction by Steven Grant as well as tons of other bonuses. It includes very early character sketches by John Romita Sr (before the character had a name, even!), original comic pages, reprint covers, covers from Punisher material outside the scope of the collection, art from the rare Mike Zeck portfolios, ads, posters, and forwards and afterwards from previous collected editions of Child's Play and Circle of Blood

Contents:

Amazing Spider-Man
#129, 134-135, 161-162, 174-175, 201-202

Anazing Spider-Man Annual

Giant-Size Spider-Man

Marvel Preview

Marvel Super Action

Captain America

Daredevil
#182-184

Spectacular Spider-Man
#81-83

The Punisher
#1-5
Post 7 IP   flag post
I will say, I think the MSRP of $100 for the Punisher omnibus is a bit much. I got it from Dreamland Comics for their pre-order price of $60, which is easier to stomach
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Krazywan private msg quote post Address this user

this is a great collection, this series came out before I got back into collecting and was happy when I found it. Art is this book in top notch, love the Kuberts
Post 9 IP   flag post
I love Marc Andreyko's "Manhunter" series. The trades are permanent fixtures in my collection.

I wish they gave us an omnibus. The final story arc in "Batman: Streets of Gotham" has never been collected.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector XxSpideyxX private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
So not everyone has the desire to hunt down original floppies but still want to read the stories. I thought it'd be neat if we started a list of the must-have collected editions (hard or soft covers) for people who don't collect floppies but are still interested in the stories and history of comics.

The top consideration are the contents of course, but presentation and bonus content should also be considered.

My first submission to this list is

Marvel 75th Anniversary Omnibus

Summary:
So this book is basically a crash-course in Marvel history with stories from 1941 through 2013. The book contains many first-appearances as well as some whole and partial significant stories, such as the coming of Galactus, the Death of Captain Marvel, Days of Future Past, Marvels, and the ASM 9/11 issue.

Bonuses:
The only bonus feature is a a fan-voted list of the "75 Greatest Marvel Comics of All Time" with brief descriptions for each entry. It's a fun list but my big problem with it is that Civil War was ranked #2.

Contents:
"Captain Merica Comics" (1941)
#1 (First Appearance of Captain America)

“Fantastic Four” (1961)
#1 (debut of Fantastic Four)
#48-50 (“Galactus Trilogy”)
#285 (“Hero,” by John Byrne)

“Hulk” (1962)
#1 (First appearance of the Hulk)

"Amazing Fantasy"
#15 (First appearance of Spider-Man)

“Avengers” (1963)
#1 (debut of The Avengers)
#57 (first appearance of The Vision”)

“Amazing Spider-Man” (1963)
#31-33 (“If This Be My Destiny…!”)
#50 (“Spider-Man No More!”)
#121-122 (“The Night Gwen Stacy Died”)

“Incredible Hulk” (1968)
#181 (first appearance of Wolverine)

“Giant-Size X-Men” #1(debut of new X-Men team)

“X-Men” (1963)
#141-142 (“Days of Future Past”)

“Daredevil” (1964)
#181 (death of Elektra)

“Marvel Graphic Novel”
#1 (“The Death of Captain Marvel”)
#5 (“X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills”)

“Thor” (1966)
#337 (first appearance of Beta Ray Bill)

“Marvels”

“X-Men Alpha” (first issue of “Age of Apocalypse” event)

“Thunderbolts” (1997)
#1 (first Thunderbolts appearance)

“Amazing Spider-Man” (1999)
#36 (Sept. 11 tribute issue)

“The Ultimates” (2002)
#1 (debut of The Ultimates)

“Captain America” (2005)
#25 (“The Death of Captain America”)

"Amazing Spider-Man"
#700 (start of the Superior Spider-Man)

“Hawkeye” (2012)

I saw this and just got mine from Amazon for only $35 new!!!! Just arrived today
Post 11 IP   flag post
@XxSpideyxX That's a great price! Congratulations!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Crisis on Infinite Earths: The Absolute Edition

Summary:
This Absolute Edition contains 2 books. The first book collects the landmark 12-part crossover while the second book is packed with bonus features. The two books are contained within a handsome slipcase featuring art by Alex Ross.

Bonuses:
The first book in the set is somewhat light on bonuses. The book opens with an introduction by Marv Wolfman and closes with an Afterward by Dick Giordano. After that there's only a couple (literally just 2) pages of character sketches and that's about it.

The second book, titled The Compendium includes Marv Wolfman discussing the plotting of the story, over 2 dozen pages of Memos and notes providing an inside look at the development and disagreements in creating the Crisis event interspersed with sketches, original art, hand-written notes, ads, and various other ephemera pertaining to the event.

Following that is added the two official Crisis on Infinite Earths Indexes, originally written by Murray Ward and Lou Mougin. These have been edited for clarity, updated to correct errors, and expanded. The index includes a list of the hundreds of characters that appeared in the series and what issues they appeared in.

Next are several pages by John Wells describing the DC Universe that had been formed as a result of the event, subsequent events instigated by the events of Crisis, and the tricky situation that arose with the Legion of Super-Heroes after Superboy's erasure from existence after the event.

Finally, the compendium closes out with a brief overview of what Crisis of Infinite Earths had inspired 25 years after its publishing.

Contents:

Crisis on Infinite Earths
#1-12

The Official Crisis on Infinite Earths Index

The Official Crisis on Infinite Earths Cross Over Index
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user

It's Gaiman's run on Sandman. Nothing else needs to be said.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@OrbitCityComics As impressive as the omnibuses are, I think the better recommendation are the Absolute Editions

The books have a larger format (roughly 9"x15" vs 7.5"x11" ) than the omnibuses and include bonus materials. Volumes 1-4 collect the same material as the omnibuses so book 5 and Absolute Death include issues not in the Omnibuses. The books are each priced cheaper than the omnibuses so getting the first 4 books would cost about the same or cheaper than the 2 omnibuses and all 6 wouldn't be significantly more than the 2 omnibuses.
Post 15 IP   flag post
There are several cool formats for Dark Knight Returns. I've almost purchased the Gallery Edition on two separate occasions. But I think this box set is my favorite format.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector XxSpideyxX private msg quote post Address this user
The Complete Calvin and Hobbes.
Nuff said.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Zombiebigfoot private msg quote post Address this user
@XxSpideyxX
YES!! I agree 100%! I've spent many hours just reading those panels & busting out laughing. An excellent pick. 👍🏼

Post 18 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user

TPB vol. 07 - Volume Seven - March 2017
TPB vol. 06 - Volume Six - June 2016
TPB vol. 05 - Volume Five - September 2015
TPB vol. 04 - Volume Four - December 2014
TPB vol. 03 - Volume Three - March 2014
(2nd Printing) - December 2014
TPB vol. 02 - Volume Two - June 2013
(3rd Printing) - December 2014
TPB vol. 01 - Volume One - October 2012
(2nd Printing)- 2012
(3rd Printing)- July 2013
(5th Printing)- February 2015
(6th Printing)- July 2016
HC vol. 02 - Book Two - April 2017
HC vol. 01 - Book One - November 2014

Winner of the 2013 Hugo award for Best Graphic Story!

When two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, they risk everything to bring a fragile new life into a dangerous old universe. From New York Times bestselling writer Brian K. Vaughan (Y: The Last Man, Ex Machina) and critically acclaimed artist Fiona Staples (Mystery Society, North 40), Saga is the sweeping tale of one young family fighting to find their place in the worlds. Fantasy and science fiction are wed like never before in this sexy, subversive drama for adults.
This specially priced volume collects the first six issues of the smash-hit series The Onion A.V. Club calls "the emotional epic Hollywood wishes it could make."

Voted one of the top graphic novels of the year by the NYT, IGN, the Examiner, and SF Weekly. Voted Best Comic of the year by MTV Geek and Best New Series by Paradox Comics. Voted a finalist in the GoodReads Best GN of 2012 contest.

Named one of Time Magazine's top 10 graphic novels for 2013
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@OrbitCityComics As impressive as the omnibuses are, I think the better recommendation are the Absolute Editions

The books have a larger format (roughly 9"x15" vs 7.5"x11" ) than the omnibuses and include bonus materials. Volumes 1-4 collect the same material as the omnibuses so book 5 and Absolute Death include issues not in the Omnibuses. The books are each priced cheaper than the omnibuses so getting the first 4 books would cost about the same or cheaper than the 2 omnibuses and all 6 wouldn't be significantly more than the 2 omnibuses.

The Absolutes aren't my favourite. I have Absolutes of Hush, Watchmen and both volumes of Transmetropolitan, but I never read them.

Every once in a while I'll pull out my Sandman editions and bust them open for a quick relaxing moment.
Post 20 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
This was a good thread.

Keeping it going.

I bought this for a cool $6 bucks at the LCS (70% off bin). Couldnt be happier with that, its huge!

Post 21 IP   flag post
I just finished reading through this a few days ago

Stacked Deck: The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told - Expanded Edition

Summary:
The companion book to Longmeadow’s Complete Frank Miller Batman (see above), this book presents, in chronological order, many great Joker stories that chronicle the character’s development and evolution across 50 years from his first appearance to 1987. Noticably missing is The Killing Joke which, I’d imagine, DC would rather sell separately.

Bonuses:
The book begins with a foreword by Denny O’Neil, followed by an introduction to the collection by Mike Gold. Following the stories is an Afterword by Dick Giordano, followed by end notes by Mark Waid, giving an overview of the Joker’s history beyond what was able to be included in the collection. The book closes with brief biographies of the stories’ creators by Brian Augustyn.

Contents:

Batman
#1, 4, 63, 73, 74, 110, 159, 163, 251, 321, 353,

Joker and The Sparrow newspaper strip

Detective Comics
168, 475, 476, 569, 570

World’s Finest Comics
61, 88

Batman Kellog’s Special

The Brave and the Bold

The Joker
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector VictorCreed private msg quote post Address this user

One of the best modern space sagas imo.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Origins of Marvel Comics - Revised Edition

Summary:
This updated version of what is considered to be the first comic TPB includes the origns of Marvel Comics mainstays, the Fantastic Four, the Hulk, Spider-Man, Thor, and Doctor Strange as well as a modern story for each character, letting you see how each character had changed since their creation.

I don't have them but Origins of Marvel Comics was followed up by several other books, Son of Origins, Bring on the Bad Guys, and Superhero Women. The first two also received Revised Editions alongside new entries, Grandson of Origins, and Bring Back the Bad Guys.

Bonuses:
The book has introductions to each story and an Epilogue by Stan Lee.

Contents:

Fantastic Four
1, 243

The Incredible Hulk
1, 372

Amazing Fantasy #15

Spider-Man #1

Journey Into Mystery #83

The Mighty Thor #380

Strange Tales
110, 115

Doctor Strange #56
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitCityComics
Quote:

The Absolutes aren't my favourite. I have Absolutes of Hush, Watchmen and both volumes of Transmetropolitan, but I never read them.

Every once in a while I'll pull out my Sandman editions and bust them open for a quick relaxing moment.

You don't prefer the absolute editions?
This is interesting... why not?
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector DavidM private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
The Complete Frank Miller Batman

Summary:
The title may be a little out of date but it does mean you're getting some of Miller's classic Batman stories without any of the Dark Knight Strikes Again or All-Star Batman and Robin nonsense. The book is nicely bound in leather like the kind of book you'd keep in a study complete with marbled end sheets and foil-gilded edges.

Bonuses:
The book includes and introduction by Richard Brunning, some thoughts behind the Dark Knight Returns from Frank Miller, and an essay on Batman and Frank Miller's take on the character from Alan Moore.

Contents:

Batman
#404-407 (Batman: Year One)

DC Special Series
#21 (Wanted: Santa Claus Dead or Alive ; illustrated by Miller)

Dark Knight Returns
#1-4

I love this book, one of my favorite collectibles. Well made and I had it signed by Miller.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user

Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user

I love these else worlds stories.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
I just finished reading through this a few days ago

Stacked Deck: The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told - Expanded Edition

Summary:
The companion book to Longmeadow’s Complete Frank Miller Batman (see above), this book presents, in chronological order, many great Joker stories that chronicle the character’s development and evolution across 50 years from his first appearance to 1987. Noticably missing is The Killing Joke which, I’d imagine, DC would rather sell separately.

Bonuses:
The book begins with a foreword by Denny O’Neil, followed by an introduction to the collection by Mike Gold. Following the stories is an Afterword by Dick Giordano, followed by end notes by Mark Waid, giving an overview of the Joker’s history beyond what was able to be included in the collection. The book closes with brief biographies of the stories’ creators by Brian Augustyn.

Contents:

Batman
#1, 4, 63, 73, 74, 110, 159, 163, 251, 321, 353,

Joker and The Sparrow newspaper strip

Detective Comics
168, 475, 476, 569, 570

World’s Finest Comics
61, 88

Batman Kellog’s Special

The Brave and the Bold

The Joker

I've been meaning to pick this one up for a while. Every copy I see on e-bay is either tore up or rather pricy.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@00slim The cheapest copy on ebay right now is about $30 if you don't mind some spotting.

I paid about $25 for mine a couple of years ago
Post 30 IP   flag post
600524 31 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?