Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

Haven't invested into golden age yet. help425

Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Got back into collecting comics after a 30 year absence. Lol. Was part of the 80's reader as a kid and enjoy the silver age books. Was looking to get into some golden age comics but don't have any experience in buying these or what to even get because of the prices of some of the entry level issues. I like entry level comics because I'm crazy and enjoy the hunt of up grading issues lol crazy I know. Say you have around 6k to spend what golden age books would be a good investment to pass on later in life. And yes I know comics aren't an investment to some. I also have a retirement plan lol
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Kinzebac private msg quote post Address this user
Batman or Tec books are a great investment because the character is as popular as ever these days.
Post 2 IP   flag post
What issue would you recommend. Thanks for being so helpful. Stopped asking on the other site because people there can be so rude. It can get crazy at Cgc.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I'd suggest you collect whatever appeals to you, what you like. Personally, I'd invest in some Golden Age Captain America Comics or maybe Silver Age keys. I'd suggest you start by just buying some old reader copies of the comics you loved as a kid. Find out what appeals to you - whether it's the art, writing, characters, etc. Then kind of focus and study up on those artists, writers or characters. Enjoy the experience!!! 6k can get you a few highend comics or a number that have growth potential. It's all about what you want to get out of it.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Was leaning towards batman and captain america covers just like those covers better. Thanks for the advice 👍
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Kinzebac private msg quote post Address this user
Tecs - anything below 40. 45, 48, 58. 62, 66, 69, 71, 73, 140, 168

Batman - 1-11, 18, 47, 59

There are probably more key issues that I am forgetting, but that is what I could remember off the top of my head.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Will look those up now thanks for the input
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector catrick339 private msg quote post Address this user
DON'T DO IT!

I bought a GA book just as a lark, swearing that I could handle it, that I wouldn't get hooked. Like so many others, I was wrong. I'm hooked through the bag, and it was Superman that reeled me in like a tuna.

First it's Batman, but that's just a gateway drug to the rest of DC/National/All American, and there you work your way up through MLJ, Fawcett, Fiction House, Nedor, Dell, Charles Biro, EC and all the rest, and the first thing you know you're mainlining Timely.

Don't do it, I tell you!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Lol that's what I'm afraid of
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Happylemon private msg quote post Address this user
GA sounds to addictive will stick to my moderns and bronze.think my oldest book is tta44. just need to find some where o shift it now lol
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverogers11
What issue would you recommend. Thanks for being so helpful. Stopped asking on the other site because people there can be so rude. It can get crazy at Cgc.

Well that's not surprising; your question leaves a lot to be desired, don't you think?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Just a general question about golden age that I don't know anything about. If I did I would be more specific. Have already had some great responses. Have a great day
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector PovRow private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrick339
DON'T DO IT!

I bought a GA book just as a lark, swearing that I could handle it, that I wouldn't get hooked. Like so many others, I was wrong. I'm hooked through the bag, and it was Superman that reeled me in like a tuna.

First it's Batman, but that's just a gateway drug to the rest of DC/National/All American, and there you work your way up through MLJ, Fawcett, Fiction House, Nedor, Dell, Charles Biro, EC and all the rest, and the first thing you know you're mainlining Timely.

Don't do it, I tell you!

Listen to Catrick. Don't let this happen to YOU!!!

Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert_Stylton
Quote:

Well that's not surprising; your question leaves a lot to be desired, don't you think?

I can sympathize with Steverogers11. Decades ago, when I started collecting, I didn't even KNOW what was meant by Golden Age, so he is a step above where I was. I DID evolve into one of the more knowledgeable collectors with a specialization in Pre Code horror, crime and sci-fi. It seems like the very same time and energy used to make negative remarks, as is often seen on other boards, can be used to make constructive replies.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I'm trying not to fall into the trap of golden age. Lol sounds like once you start there is no stopping
Post 15 IP   flag post
I agree the hardest part is where to start. Golden age is so massive believe I will go with captain america or detective comics. Like both of those the most.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PovRow
Quote:
Quote:

I can sympathize with Steverogers11. Decades ago, when I started collecting, I didn't even KNOW what was meant by Golden Age, so he is a step above where I was. I DID evolve into one of the more knowledgeable collectors with a specialization in Pre Code horror, crime and sci-fi. It seems like the very same time and energy used to make negative remarks, as is often seen on other boards, can be used to make constructive replies.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Thanks. You understand
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector catrick339 private msg quote post Address this user
I was joking, at least a bit. You CAN limit yourself to what you buy with a bit of discipline. The first real bite I took at GA was Superman 1 - 150. #1 is a reprint and likely to remain so considering my budget, and 2 is coverless with a repop cover, but 3 on up are the real deal. I'm working on Action as time and money allows, and I'm pursuing, among other things, Supersnipe and various precode beauties.

Everything else is "catch and release" and my thanks to 143ksk for the phrase. I buy a few interesting books, enjoy them for a while, read them a couple times and send them on their way, and use the proceeds to fund the next batch. Being a serial collector is the only way I'll ever be able to afford most of the early books, I got started waaaay too late to be a serious GA man.

Doesn't stop me from being a fan and enjoying my current beauties, though.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Was very surprised at seeing batman and superman 2 for the price you can get a copy for. Not cheap by no means but affordable. I know it's not action it detective comics but still nice
Post 20 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
If you do what is your passion for a living. YOu will never work a day in your life.

It is the same for comic book collecting. Collect what you love, with an eye towards future increased value. And you will be ahead in every way.

When it comes to golden age books. I have found that iconic covers are always sought after. So instead of (as an example), going for a number 1 or 2. Or going for something like the first meeting of Superman and Batman. Go instead for the classic covers. Like Superman breaking a chain across his chest. Or a person having their tongue cut out on the cover. Or something like Suspense #3, with hooded figures torturing someone.

Go for classic and iconic covers. Especially in this age of slabbed comic books. Not specific issue numbers, team-ups, deaths of characters (they never stay dead), or even first appearances. For who cares about the first appearance of Mxyzptlk or Comet the super horse. No one.

That's my opinion.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yup, that's why I'm letting him know why he got the reception he did. It's like going on a car enthusiast chat and asking "what car should I buy?" I mean, c'mon, you know a couple of people will say "Yugo".
Post 22 IP   flag post
Thanks for all the info this has really been helpful. The golden age is so vast much more complicated than silver. Thank you again for all of your input. Made things easier to understand. Can't wait to get started
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Buy books that look good. Comics that have great eye appeal in the highest grade you can afford.
They'll always be sought after in any grade, regardless of any character popularity trends.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I'm trying not to fall into the trap of golden age. Lol sounds like once you start there is no stopping

What trap?

Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector MusterMark private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
If you do what is your passion for a living. YOu will never work a day in your life.

It is the same for comic book collecting. Collect what you love, with an eye towards future increased value. And you will be ahead in every way.

When it comes to golden age books. I have found that iconic covers are always sought after. So instead of (as an example), going for a number 1 or 2. Or going for something like the first meeting of Superman and Batman. Go instead for the classic covers. Like Superman breaking a chain across his chest. Or a person having their tongue cut out on the cover. Or something like Suspense #3, with hooded figures torturing someone.

Go for classic and iconic covers. Especially in this age of slabbed comic books. Not specific issue numbers, team-ups, deaths of characters (they never stay dead), or even first appearances. For who cares about the first appearance of Mxyzptlk or Comet the super horse. No one.

That's my opinion.

Cool ideas. (Big thumbs up)!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Those are some great captain america issues you have thereQuote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Quote:

What trap?

Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:

Yup, that's why I'm letting him know why he got the reception he did. It's like going on a car enthusiast chat and asking "what car should I buy?" I mean, c'mon, you know a couple of people will say "Yugo".

Yeah, some may say Yugo but that is just not helpful. Watcher said it best when he wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Watcher
We understand that quite a few of the members here are new to encapsulation, and may have never been exposed to other collecting genres (Golden Age, GGA, picture frames, etc). As such, we make a very concerted effort to take the time to explain, as best we can, all those things to them. It's how the hobby grows. Pass the knowledge onto someone new, they become collectors, they impart that knowledge onto someone new, and the cycle continues
Post 28 IP   flag post
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, some may say Yugo but that is just not helpful. Watcher said it best when he wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Watcher
We understand that quite a few of the members here are new to encapsulation, and may have never been exposed to other collecting genres (Golden Age, GGA, picture frames, etc). As such, we make a very concerted effort to take the time to explain, as best we can, all those things to them. It's how the hobby grows. Pass the knowledge onto someone new, they become collectors, they impart that knowledge onto someone new, and the cycle continues

I think Let Me Google That For You said it best when they said "Let me Google that for you."
Post 30 IP   flag post
598066 30 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?