Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
ABC news is saying @ 6:30pm, Irma will make landfall as a cat. 5.
Post 51 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Instant_Subtitles
@DarthLego I didn't get a chance to post a reply. So no need to have your "Ummm... How does he want us to reply?" expression.

Uh Wut?

Quote:
That is my staring at CBCS in utter amazement at their continued silence while in the path of a Cat 5 Hurricane both figuratively and literally.

I was trying to make a "I don't really know you that well so I do not know how to reply to what you are saying." kind of joke. Kind of like talking about the comic book version of characters to a person who only knows them by the movies they watched.

But yeah... I knew what you were saying. I was just trying to lighten up the mood. Because I have not really experienced a moment in my entire lifetime where I did not live without the risk of an anxiety attack hitting me. Most are often mild, but the few end with a PTSD-like feel to them.

And right now... I have a comic that I'd definitely like to have them grade. But with the way people are acting, I prefer being goofy than thinking that I will quit after having that one comic graded.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector Krazywan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@DarthLego I didn't get a chance to post a reply. So no need to have your "Ummm... How does he want us to reply?" expression.

Uh Wut?

Quote:
That is my staring at CBCS in utter amazement at their continued silence while in the path of a Cat 5 Hurricane both figuratively and literally.

I was trying to make a "I don't really know you that well so I do not know how to reply to what you are saying." kind of joke. Kind of like talking about the comic book version of characters to a person who only knows them by the movies they watched.

But yeah... I knew what you were saying. I was just trying to lighten up the mood. Because I have not really experienced a moment in my entire lifetime where I did not live without the risk of an anxiety attack hitting me. Most are often mild, but the few end with a PTSD-like feel to them.

And right now... I have a comic that I'd definitely like to have them grade. But with the way people are acting, I prefer being goofy than thinking that I will quit after having that one comic graded.
send that book in to graded,just wait until all this storm stuff is over here and they have more cases in stock and the tat comes down a bit, I'm sure you will love it. I got my first submission back from them last month and with all the hub bub going on I was still pleased but that's just me I'm not a flipper
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector XxSpideyxX private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Having seen the vault at the CBCS facility the books should be fine unless the whole building is underwater. Doubt that will happen.

Without compromising security or otherwise confidential information, can you describe the vault? What makes you confident in the structural integrity in the event of natural disasters like the current hurricane situation?
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxSpideyxX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Having seen the vault at the CBCS facility the books should be fine unless the whole building is underwater. Doubt that will happen.

Without compromising security or otherwise confidential information, can you describe the vault? What makes you confident in the structural integrity in the event of natural disasters like the current hurricane situation?

just guessing: big volume of very valuable books in so...
Vault could be a special room with reinforced door, ceiling & walls that has shelves and another special safe within it for high premium items.
.. Keep in mind, for the value of so many books, they would need to keep everything safe but easy to move in and out. Also, to have all the needed insurance in case of a robbery or disaster, they would need to satisfy the insurance company's requirements for its own protection. (Unless you believe they don't have more than small business insurance?)
Post 55 IP   flag post

Collector kash private msg quote post Address this user
While CBCS very likely has a plan for these types of disasters, I can't agree with those who seem to think that the question should not have been asked.

It's a fair question.

Being a successful company doesn't automatically mean that every duck is aligned perfectly in a row.

I've worked with Fortune 100 companies for decades and a surprising number of them were woefully unprepared for a disaster. Some were "Johnny on the spot", but others seemed to think that hope was some sort of strategy.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kash
Being a successful company doesn't automatically mean that every duck is aligned perfectly in a row.

I've worked with Fortune 100 companies for decades and a surprising number of them were woefully unprepared for a disaster. Some were "Johnny on the spot", but others seemed to think that hope was some sort of strategy.

That could probably be said for almost any company with a work force bigger than a certain size...private co, or city, state or federal agency as well.
(Some people give it their all to do [or think] as minimum as possible at work)
Post 57 IP   flag post
Collector Lunarshade private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunarshade
They have insurance unfortunately my original birth certificate in a building in New Orleans didn't during Katrina.

So you don't exist???😎
Actually it was worse than not existing. No one could access criminal records so we were all treated like felons and I was not allowed to rent an apartment because of that. The chaos this can cause can not be underestimated. My brother was still building things in New Orleans 8 years after the storm. The people in Texas and Louisiana have a great attitude but this is a very long process. There are only so many plumbers, electricians and carpenters. Now we will need to rebuild Florida as well it will take a very long time.
Post 58 IP   flag post
Collector Lunarshade private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunarshade
They have insurance unfortunately my original birth certificate in a building in New Orleans didn't during Katrina.

This guy is taking Roy off the grid. He doesn't have a social security number for Roy.

LOL pretty much but it is hard when you are lumped in with convicted felons.
Post 59 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS and CGC if you guys and gals need to get out of there get out. The books and property can be replaced lives can't. I took a look at the whether channel and it's not looking good for west Florida.
Post 60 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Oh and any boardie in the path of the storm stay safe and if you need to evacuate, Evacuate.
Post 61 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
@Krazywan Right now, I plan to do just that. Because despite the lack of demand for this particular issue, and series, the comic itself appears to be both in a high-grade condition and information on this specific issue is extremely scarce. I mean it is so scarce that I cannot find a price guide listing for it. Plus, it is the first U.S. comic book appearance of my favorite video game character.

The problem is that besides Hurricane Irma, people act equally concern with CBCS's quality control. The only few slabs I bought tied to CGC had QC issues that made me think having them regraded would result in lower grades. So I am stuck between the proverbial rock and a hard space. Especially if I am forced to sell what I have after interest in the issues I collect increase in popularity.

But even then, I think starting my graded collection with a non-comic book was my first good decision in a very long time. Not my cheapest this year, but rather my smartest.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Collector The_Lurker private msg quote post Address this user
@Instant_Subtitles what book we must know now..
Post 63 IP   flag post
If nothing else, the silver lining to all this is the Govt will finally be able to boost employment in clearing out and rebuilding of all those areas for some time to come.
Post 64 IP   flag post
@The_Lurker This issue.

I managed to get it really cheap due to lack of demand for the series, and do wonder if it was worth more in 2003. The only reason I can think there was any drop of interest has to do with the fact it both targets a more niche fanbase and it is simply one limited series after another. However, I briefly found one unconfirmed rumor that only 1,500 copies were printed in October, 2003. The site, before it went down, also claimed that the issue's virgin power foil variant had a print run of 1,000. Which makes me wonder why that variant cover has more exposure than this one.

Either way, here it is. And I must confess that Adam Warren's artwork is starting to grow on me.

Post 65 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome comic! I have 3 stand up arcade machines in my garage. One is Street Fighter 2 dedicated original. The second is a Street Fighter 2 2nd Version with a Pandora's box installed in it (which has every edition of street fighter to come out in arcades besides SF1)
Post 66 IP   flag post
Ok just an update no rain yet but getting winds gusts up to 20mph here in Pinellas County
Post 67 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
It's probably safe to say, based on the latest info, looks like the hurricane is making a target of the area CBCS and CGC are in. More than likely, services of both companies will be interrupted for a fair amount of time as important infrastructure, especially electrical power, may be lost for days, if not weeks.
Let's wish all employees, their family and friends safety and well being through this very trying time. This looks like a very devastating scenario shaping up and it may take a long time to return things to normal. Let's be sure we offer our thoughts and prayers and help if we can.
We all need to be extremely patient as people try to put their lives back together after this is all over and normal operations can be resumed again.
Post 68 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_K
Awesome comic! I have 3 stand up arcade machines in my garage. One is Street Fighter 2 dedicated original. The second is a Street Fighter 2 2nd Version with a Pandora's box installed in it (which has every edition of street fighter to come out in arcades besides SF1)

Thanks! I bought it because of...

*throws down a smoke pellet, but fails to disappear due to somebody turning on the fan. We know it was you, [insert the reader's name here]! Just like we know you ate our lunches!*

...Sakura Kasugano. I also plan to keep it simple by only focusing on (main continuity) game appearances, game tie-in merchandise, and official merchandise that does not have her wear her main costume.

Plus, I am also collecting stuff tied to Dragon Quest. And I am debating about the Vampire/Darkstalkers franchise. Vampire Savior was my favorite fighter 20 years ago. So we'll see.

And that is very cool that you have arcade cabinets! I hope to had that to my future goals.
Post 69 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
My best friend who lives in Cleveland and is a retired cop like I am, has a part time job. He doesn't work very often.

He is basically a driver for a retired utility company guy. Both of them are flown into the affected area, and drive around a certain sector. The utility company retiree annotates what type of work and equipment certain locations need.

This info is then passed onto a fleet utility workers who are amassing in the area.

My friend tells me they flew to Orlando last night, with only a four hour notice. They are put up in a hotel along with many many other workers.

My buddy tells me the amount of utility company trucks located there where he is, is enough to conquer the world, if they were tanks instead of trucks with hoists on them. He says there seems to be no expense spared to deal with this situation.

My buddy only gets $23.00 per hour, but the utility guy gets more. They get $33.00 per day for food and the gas and hotels are paid for by the company he works for (a private company). My buddy only drives via GPS, and does not carry a weapon. He is not security, just a chauffeur. But they do only hire retired cops for these chauffeur jobs.

Last time he did it, he left after 9 days. He just wanted to go home. I told him to stick it out to the end this time, as it is easy money. It is just driving a rental car. He is single. hisa best guess if that this Florida assignment is going to last a long time. Weeks (he thinks)

I find it strange they would send him and them there prior to the storm actually hitting. I guess they just want to be in place and probably avoid the rush of people back into the area. I'm sure plane tickets to Florida are cheap right now.
Post 70 IP   flag post
Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user
@conditionfreak , I'm thinking maybe if they waited, it might be a while before they could fly in. Glad to hear they're goin full tilt on preparations, a lot of people are gonna need help down there. And if Jose ends up hittin Tampa Bay I'll be convinced god hates comics
Post 71 IP   flag post
@Conditionfreak, going in before the storm might give some ideas of the weakest spots for the company to consider. Down trees, areas of heavy water back ups, other things they would be need to be aware of...getting an early heads up for potential bad areas might be useful for them.

As for your friend, being in the areas after the water has been drained leaves all the assaults on the senses that a person can stand after being there for less than 9 days.(per the news reports and interviews)
Post 72 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
For those that are interested. Here is a site that has 6 cameras in Florida that you can watch during the hurricane - although the three from Key West are showing no signal (I wonder why). There is one in St Pete's.

Florida hurricane webcams
Post 73 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
For those that are interested. Here is a site that has 6 cameras in Florida that you can watch during the hurricane - although the three from Key West are showing no signal (I wonder why). There is one in St Pete's.

Florida hurricane webcams

Right now, I feel uncomfortable being a member here. I don't know if it is just the anxiety I deal with since I have Asperger's (which can be an issue for me), or the way one of the more senior members decided to respond to what I said. But regardless of what it is, thanks for caring enough to let us have a means of knowing what is happening.
Post 74 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
Being "senior members" doesn't count for nothin in my eyes? You are as much a part of the discussion as any. If people try to make you uncomfortable just tell them to please be polite and respectful. No one here really wants to come off as a jerk.
Post 75 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like the storm picked up some strength overnight. This one scares me. Has the same feel to it as Andrew.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector greyghost private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Joe - yeh coming up the west coast, picking up energy from the Gulf, could be really really bad news. As in a topography changing event. As bad as Andrew was, it was an East to West storm. There hasn't been a South to North hurricane in our lifetime, and the barrier islands were unpopulated then. If the storm surge coincides with high tide, St. Petersburg could be in a catastrophic situation. The CBCS building is currently coded as an Evacuation Zone D/E, which isn't mandatory yet, only A & B. But they're only a mile or so away from a designated A Zone. Is the CBCS building a 2 story, and is the vault on the 2nd story?
Post 77 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_K
Being "senior members" doesn't count for nothin in my eyes? You are as much a part of the discussion as any. If people try to make you uncomfortable just tell them to please be polite and respectful. No one here really wants to come off as a jerk.

You are right with everything you said. But I also had similar issues with this member once before in less than a week. The member was flagged twice, and edited what they said because they did not want to get in trouble with the mods. And this time around, I was forced to ask them to leave me alone. Just because the tone was similar to the first incident. Nothing beyond that.

So all I can do is apologize if I came off as sounding like I meant a wider set of people. I'm not. And I will just add that I am not touching those issues until the storm has passed and we know what has happened to both CGC and CBCS. That, and leave out any jokes I have because I am being serious with what I am saying.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I really hope everyone stays safe down there. Any updates?
Post 79 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
I really hope everyone stays safe down there. Any updates?
mild wind and light rain in St. Petersbug right now. I will keep updates going for as long as I can. I get a connection error when my phone goes to 4g for some reason but as long as I have Wi-Fi ill keep going. Looks like here in Pinellas county we will be bracing for a night time hit. Not was I was hoping for I would much rather this hit us during the day when we have light
Post 80 IP   flag post
600783 111 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?