Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Cruising around ebay today and I found this seller selling copies of comic book covers. Is this common? Is it legal?
Post 1 IP   flag post

Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Coverless high value key books are commonly sold with a facsimile cover wrap.

There is a showcase #4 auction on eBay right now that I'm bidding on that has one.

Technically it's probably not legal to produce and sell these covers, but I don't think Marvel or DC is going to chase after the guy selling a couple of these a year
Post 3 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer ok but do marvel and other publishers sanction this? Seems like someone selling their property rights.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'm sure it is not sanctioned. It's just some guy making them
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
I hate when these covers come up in my eBay searches. It just annoys me.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Coverless high value key books are commonly sold with a facsimile cover wrap.

There is a showcase #4 auction on eBay right now that I'm bidding on that has one.

Technically it's probably not legal to produce and sell these covers, but I don't think Marvel or DC is going to chase after the guy selling a couple of these a year

Agreed. Most likely illegal, but done internationally or in small batches not warranting attention/capital for investigation and shut down.

The other thing to watch out for is people reselling these attached to authentic interior pages as "original books" - especially internationally. These are truly unjust scammers. Beware.

See here: https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/3817/page/1/hulk-181-vs-fake-181/
We looked at and discussed some comparisons, including how people buy these covers with the intent to resell to an amateur collector victim.
Post 7 IP   flag post
That would be very unfortunate.

It does seem that the ones for sale are high value books, and anyone paying that much will know the difference. They feel different as well as looks. That hulk 181 I dont think was this stuff
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
there have been a few real categories for reproductions:
* golden records' comics
* toys made from the first appearance
* placards
* posters
not many others that I'm aware of.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn
@shrewbeer ok but do marvel and other publishers sanction this? Seems like someone selling their property rights.

Reproducing covers probably does not fall under Fair Use provisions of copyright law. However, some prominent businesses have provided reproduction covers. Before Matt Nelson went in house with CGC and became CCS, his Classics Inc business had quite a collection of cover images that he would use to make reproduction covers on request. And if you think about it, at what point does restoration of a badly torn, faded or damaged cover become more a reproduction.

There are also a gazillion covers, toy boxes and movie posters that can be reproduced as the publisher or manufacturer never updated the copyright

The major publishers (apparently) have no interest in chasing collectors down for replacing covers and interior pages with reproductions. If someone ever gets a cease and desist order from Marvel for reproducing the cover or centerfold to Avengers 1, they probably should as it's likely the law is on the Marvel's side. But Marvel really has nothing to gain and much collector good will to lose from such an action.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
I went to the first NYCC back in ?2005, I think it was. Anyway, there was some guy making t-shirts from comic book cover scans, his booth was packed with customers, but DC, Marvel and all the smaller publishers had booths also. I was walking with a DC rep and he had the booth shut down for copyright and patent infringement.

I always wondered if DC took legal action against him.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Am I allowed to sell all of the empty cgc and cbcs cases I have on ebay? They are just collecting dust in my closet.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
Am I allowed to sell all of the empty cgc and cbcs cases I have on ebay? They are just collecting dust in my closet.

Why not? You bought them. I would like to slab some of my comics without grading...however what's offered online for similar cases cost just as much as grading and slabbing!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa

I do. I used to sell then on eBay. But a local comic store run by a friend lets me sell them there now. Much more practical. They are kinda bulky and you have to pack them like a slab (so lots of cushioning material) to avoid breaks and cracks.

They sell easily though. Collectors use them for displaying comics. I've even seen people make up their own labels. "Terry's awesome ASM 50!"
Post 14 IP   flag post
597988 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?