Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Secure Storage Options Question4200

Collector tonnage71 private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry if this has been covered before, but as my collection has grown to include more valuable issues it probably makes sense to look into secure storage options (i.e. safes or other fire/waterproof cases) besides just your run of the mill cardboard long box.

How do others safely store their most prized comics? I'd appreciate links to any products you've bought and trust.

And on a related note, how many of you are insuring your collection? I've received emails from companies offering this service and am currently working with my insurance agent to get ballpark pricing through my homeowners policy.

Thanks in advance!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
A 10" x 10" safe deposit box at the bank seems like it would be best if you have less than 30 really high dollar slabs. That option is about $100 a year in my area.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@tonnage71 I use one of These.

It was pretty cheap to add extra loot to the homeowners policy as well.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Airplane hangar storage works best. Highly secure.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector georgefoo private msg quote post Address this user
If you buy a safe be careful in what safe you select. Years ago, I bought a fire proof safe for my comics. What I did not realize was that between the walls of the safe there was some kind of fire retardant material that released moisture. The moisture caused the steel to rust and the rust stains bled into some of my comics. Due to bad luck, one of the comics was Action Comics #252. No doubt that the rust stains cost me at least one point in grading and translated into a loss of several thousands of $. Since then, I keep my valuable comics in a safety deposit box. I am sure safes can be fine but you need to pick the right one. Also make sure you can bolt it to the floor. A burglar will not hesitate to remove the safe.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@georgefoo is correct, you need humidity control in the safe, and it needs to be opened often so that you get fresh air in there
Post 6 IP   flag post
I looked into safety deposit boxes and didn't think they were large enough to accommodate slabbed books. Am I wrong about this? @Darkga mentions a 10" x 10" box can hold about 30 slabbed books, but isn't this smaller than the size of a slab..?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector georgefoo private msg quote post Address this user
I think he was saying the height and width of the safety deposit box is 10"x10". The depth, however is about 20" (inches) and can fit a slab.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Thanks for explaining @georgefoo! All of you have been very helpful.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
For your insurance, you may be caught in the middle of red tape. Insurance companies want formal appraisals to confirm the value of your books, unless they get insured for cover price. (Did that & got a t shirt for a consolation prise.)
Make sure ALL of your books of value are fully recognized and confirmed for value.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector keefriffhards private msg quote post Address this user
I just made sure acid-free (or as free as can be... not cheap cardboard)and some comic insurance
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Bollldog private msg quote post Address this user
I just paid $650 to insure my collection at $150,000 to give you a ballpark on cost. I also have all my books loaded into Nostomania to help track the value from year to year for the insurance.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Thanks @Bollldog. I've heard others say to be careful about the appraisal process to ensure everything is covered properly. Aside from tracking the values using Nostomania, did you have to work with a professional appraiser to determine an accurate value for your collection? Assume you did this through your homeowners policy?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Thanatos private msg quote post Address this user
Labor day sale for Liberty Safes

http://www.libertysafe.com/

Definitely on the list for my next deployment purchase
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Bollldog private msg quote post Address this user
I did work with an appraiser to verify the grading of each comic and have pictures of each book. That was back in 2012. Since the collection value changes from year to year I let Nostomania provide the estimated value for insurance purposes. I have an endorsement for comic book collectibles that was added to my homeowners policy.
Post 15 IP   flag post
601333 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?