Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Is totally awesome hulk 22 going to maintain4195

COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilesPaine
@shrewbeer
You're referring to Cho Hulk right??? Can I just say something here. . . Things over at Marvel have been. . .I dunno the word?? Dumbed down?? Corny??

Or maybe it's the writers are not very good?? No offense but Mattina covers can only keep things going for so long. Some of us actually do still read comics!!!!

I dunno what the scoop is but this Legacy overhaul better put some stank in the tank. At least in some of the books. If I don't see my friendly neighborhood symbiote swallowing things whole in War Stories tomorrow, I'm gonna be pretty disappointed. Though Edge of Verse #5 was pretty fun. The tone of these books has gotten very PG overall though. And some of this dribble Hulk Generations was just a terrible read. Just terrible. I enjoyed the Weapon X 7 tie in to 22 though, so we'll see how it goes. . .

I prefer to call it SJW Marvel.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
How interesting.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@Wolverine maybe they didn't arrive Canada yet - Canada post has been a bit slow lately 😎
Post 78 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
I decided to delete this post.
Post 79 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
How interesting.

Indeed.
Post 80 IP   flag post

Quote:
@shrewbeer
You're referring to Cho Hulk right??? Can I just say something here. . . Things over at Marvel have been. . .I dunno the word?? Dumbed down?? Corny??

Agreed.

"Not for adults"
Post 81 IP   flag post
Collector NilesPaine private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
@shrewbeer

Agreed.

"Not for adults"

In that Generations they really said, "What the Ding Dong Devil!?!?"
Post 82 IP   flag post
Im 99% DC reader, and always knew Marvel to be more "hardcore"; the roles have reversed I suppose
Post 83 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
A few reasons that hulk 22 is priced as I is are a) it came as a bit of a surprise - a lot of ppl missed out on it and b)there are no variant covers!

Back on topic;

Poka is right to point that out. Those are two vital ingredients for a key book.

To those that have an opinion on this, I would suggest you read the short series first. Two things jumped right out at me:

1. Hulk currently is the most pussified super in all the marvel universe. It's Totally awesomely sad. Completely, and totally, pussified (and has the control to keep his pussification while green).

2. Wolverine is portrayed as an old man on his way out. This does not appeal to younger people. He is not "cool".

Marvel has a chance to make this new guy into something. He is neither good nor bad; has the temperement of wolverine of old, and the crazy power of the hulk of old. If they play their cards right (and NOT name him fkng "Hulkverine" ), there is a chance this new guy could be something really big for them.

I have yet to read the entire series but I would definitely disagree that an older Wolverine does not appeal to young people.

Both the popularity of the original Old Man Logan storyline, and the success of Logan, proved that assertion of yours to be inaccurate.

I dunno how the Hulk can be "pussified", either.

The Hulk is.....well, The Hulk.

@CAK you gotta read the series to understand what I'm saying. He is no longer the hulk. He's a big green dude walking around with his pinky up drinking tea.

Maybe youre a bit right about logan. Let me put it this way; while logan may be popular, he is not nearly as cool as the young military man motorcycle-stealing cigar-smoking dude we grew up with.

I haven't read the Hulk regularly since 1988.

Tbh, I cannot read virtually any modern comic.

The storylines and artwork in modern comics, the majority of them, seems very dumbed down.

When I go back and read Miller's runs on Daredevil, for example, a modern book pales in comparison.

The themes that Miller took on in his Daredevil runs from drug abuse to moral redemption like his Born Again storyline....just make .modern co.ics look like cartoonist pandering to the masses.

Frank Miller's DR books are much more in line with thought provoking and provocative literature , than the trite schlep of over muscled and dumbed down McFarlane/Leifeld/Lee era that followed in the 1990's.

(apologies in advance to all the McFarlane fans, it's just not my cup of tea.

Very rarely in moderns is there anything comparable to the stuff that Miller consistently put forth in the 80's.

Even the Mutant Massacre storyline by Claremont , touched on themes of genocide....thst sort of material is just not commonplace anymore.

Millar's Old Man Logan run is the only X book that I have read and appreciated, from the modern era.

I read the Weapon H storyline though, today.

I thought the outlandish science fiction msd scientist/genetic splicing tone was pretty refreshing i.e. the storyline actually caught me by pleasant surprise.

If someone like myself, who largely is only into darker material like Frank Miller's and Garth Ennis's works, along with SA Marvel's and pre-code horror and crime. can appreciate the Weapon H storyline.....Totally Awesome Hulk #22, will have signifigant staying power in the modern market.
Post 84 IP   flag post
Collector VictorCreed private msg quote post Address this user
I don't find the current TAH storyline that different than many modern books. There are many better ones in modern comics. You should read more CopperAgeKids.
Post 85 IP   flag post
@DarthLego SJW??? Enlighten me. . .
Post 86 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
My biggest problem with modern Comics is they are Decompressed - "written for the trade." It takes an absolute master of pacing to make this work as individual issues. There aren't many of those working today. Many moderns work better as TPBs, but I'm an individual issue guy, darn it.

I think there are more words/story in one issue of 1980 X-Men or New Teen Titans (around the time I started collecting seriously) than in some entire arcs nowadays.

The storytelling style just makes the idea seem small and fragmented.
Post 87 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorCreed
I don't find the current TAH storyline that different than many modern books. There are many better ones in modern comics. You should read more CopperAgeKids.

I do read some moderns, I like Brubsker's writing on Captain America...and his non-super-hero shit like Criminal and Kill Or Be Killed.

I am liking this Weapon H storyline, but that is enough for me.

But what I do need to read more of is actual books...not comic books 😉

I spend an inordinate amount of time on comics, as a part time dealer/presser...so yeah, I'm set on that but I appreciate your words. 😊
Post 88 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBatmanFan
My biggest problem with modern Comics is they are Decompressed - "written for the trade." It takes an absolute master of pacing to make this work as individual issues. There aren't many of those working today. Many moderns work better as TPBs, but I'm an individual issue guy, darn it.

I think there are more words/story in one issue of 1980 X-Men or New Teen Titans (around the time I started collecting seriously) than in some entire arcs nowadays.

The storytelling style just makes the idea seem small and fragmented.

It's pretty rugged. Specifically with Marvel charging $5 a book. The lack of dialogue, I'm left feeling somewhat empty?? It's like paying todays movie prices to go see a half hour cartoon.

This weeks Batman took a weird turn too and not for the better. That story was rolling and then ?????.

WE WANT COMICS. Not just cover splashes and pretty pictures!
Post 89 IP   flag post
Collector ComxDlr private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComxDlr
you guys need to go buy this asap (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOTALLY-AWESOME-HULK-22-NM-1ST-PRINT-UNREAD-SOLD-OUT-MARVEL-COMICS-2017-/152679969609?epid=239036639&hash=item238c6f7349:g:LgoAAOSwljZZoxWJ

He ended the listing and redid it as an auction.. its at $32 currently.. (it ended as he said it was a mistake in the listing.. yeah.. i think so)
Post 90 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
So, is it still increasing in value? If so, what's the average sale price?
Post 91 IP   flag post
There is an auction that ended yesterday at $69 for a raw copy i'd say it's still going up
Post 92 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks
Post 93 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I check in every couple days...seems it has leveled off around $40...most of those are "lazy" auctions where the seller only provides a far-away pic of the entire cover and then says it's "NM"...if those people knew what NM was they'd add more pictures to back up their claims...it takes only a few second...pet peeve of mine....

The $69 auction stated it was a "9.8" copy and provided high res scans, although the top corner looked kinda "funny"...wasn't a good pic of that.
Post 94 IP   flag post
Well, I sold 2 pre sale CGC 9.8's for $225 each, plus shipping.

The bidder who won my taw guarantteed CGC / CBCS o.8 is paying me CGC's onsite grading fee, before I ship it to him.

Another seller auctioned off a pre-sale CGC 9.8, it went for $10 or so less than my $180 raw 9.8 auction.

A seller apparently sold all 3 of the CGC 9.8 AS Greg Pak pre-sales at $275 a piece.

I paid $75 in U.S. cash currency for a #21,22 and WMD #1, this Sunday at a small show.

No other dealers had any copies.

It was a smaller show but still, no copies were to be found.

And I was there before any dealers had set up, except for one dealer.

Who I knew was going to beat me there by at least 30 minutes.

Talked to several shop owner's about this book, at thst dhow.

They all told me the same thing....they barely order more than 5 or so copies for the shelf, of that title, not including pull list customers... because it is such a weak seller.

So yes, the book was short printed.
Post 95 IP   flag post
Collector Squack private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like the price is starting to settle. This is a BIN with free shipping. I believe the price will continue to decrease to around $20-$25 when all is said and done.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122700632962
Post 96 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I think now is the time to sell if you're holding on to your copies and you are planning to sell. Pretty sure it's already peaked and its heading towards it's long term price point (much lower than peak)
Post 97 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdod3
It's the 90s all over.

Um ... there has ALWAYS been speculation on books. It is much more pronounced now that we have the interwebs. Speculation in the 90's wasn't a major issue and speculation now isn't either. I love speculators, though it can get silly at times, they have bought up the price of almost all my books in my collection. They made owning books from the 70's and 80's cool again (most were considered drek until speculators started paying big money for some and then suddenly 70's and 80's book were part of the cool comics crowd like the "silver" and "gold" age which had all good books and zero drek(yes that's sarcastic)).
Post 98 IP   flag post
598060 98 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?