Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Is totally awesome hulk 22 going to maintain4195

Collector rckstr1253 private msg quote post Address this user
So did he die already?
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
That's not an actual picture from the book, is It? The one @robertofredrico posted. Because it looks ridiculous. Or is it supposed to?
Post 52 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
That's not an actual picture from the book, is It? The one @robertofredrico posted. Because it looks ridiculous. Or is it supposed to?

Yes it is, but thats not him. H-alpha kills that thing.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs

Yes it is, but thats not him. H-alpha kills that thing.

Yeah, that's Batch-H/H-Beta/Bobby Andrews in that picture up above.

Weapon H/H-Alpha/Real-Name-Unknown that everybody is freaking out about is this guy:

Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazywan
I hope it goes up more and stays up, I was able to buy one off ebay before the super hype hit, it came with one small non color breaking spine tick. I was was happy to grab this when I did. One copy was all I needed, seeing as I'm not a flipper. And @copperagekids congrats on your sale I watched that one and your 9.8 garantee is what made that sale, high five on that one. And that is also why no one will sell theirs to you lol, good luck on the graded ones being sent out, I think I may send my copy out too, pretty sure I could get a 9.8

Yes, I know that the CGC guarantee is what brought $170.50.

If I had known that the book was going to blow up like it is, I wouldn't have auctioned it at all....and just subbed it directly.

In a way, my guaranteed CGC 9.8 raw copy may have queered the initial FMV of slabbed 9.8 copies. I actually think it did so, to an extent.

If it was already slabbed in CGC 9.8 Universal, I could see a first to market CGC 9.8 selling for....well, possibly around $400.

As far as your copy, one small color breaking spine tick or not, have it pre-screened and pressed if needed.I take no chances on books that I expect to get 9.8's on.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Instant_Subtitles
@DocBrown I'll give you points on that, but it is not as much of a fix as you are claiming. Because when it comes to the history of Wolverine's popularity, people in the field give Chris Claremont full credit for his transition from being a hothead fighter to warrior with amnesia.

Here is one example:clickable text

Pretty much, Chris Claremont offered the idea to make him older, make him be an amnesiac warrior, and everything else that validates what I have said.

Unfortunately the bolded took away what was interesting about the character in the first place IMHO.

Kind of like when Claremont turned Magneto into a "freedom fighter".
Post 56 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids

http://www.sellmycomicbooks.com/most-valuable-comic-books-copper-age.html

That website is WILDLY inaccurate, for all sorts of reasons I have detailed at length in other threads.

Quoting it as a source is no better than quoting the National Enquirer for news.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKidsI never said thst MCP #72-84 were worth much, cash wise.

How could they be?[/quote

I never said you did. But you were praising the entire arc as a reason why "Weapon H" should maintain its overall value. Before you chose to preach to a fan of his pre-James Howlett days. And one that also had seen this type of hype happen for Superman (volume 2) #75's polybagged variant.

In all cases, the main reason why very few of Wolverine's key issues maintain any value is because of Chris Claremont's handling of the character. I said that once before, but I felt it was worth repeating. Especially since it is one of those things that others in the field would agree upon.

And do you know why the MCP issues are virtually worthless now? It has NOTHING to do with it being an origin story. Because prior to the days when they had Logan regain all his memories, those were considered hot issues, and ones highly recommended for a more complete Wolverine collection.

What hurt those issues values was due to the fact that Marvel, in all of their eagerness to be first, pulled a "Brand New Day" on Logan, which ended up undoing any reason to buy these key issues. Which is the key point on what I am saying, based on pre-James Howlett sales versus today's.

A VF/NM to NM- raw set of MCP #72-#84 has been a $50+ BIN sale for myself, and several sellers that I know, for years.

Everytime there is a new Wolverine movie, add another $30+ onto your BIN listing and it sells, in VF/NM.

My point was that the term "Weapon X" is well known to fans, who do not even read Wolverine comics. Largely because the "Weapon X" story was parlayed into every solo Wolverine movie that Marvel has made, thus far.

Hell....even Logan was a critical suceess, as well as a block buster.

Marvel's studio heads know that referencing and adapting (not strictly adapting the MCP storyline) is a clear cut winner.
Post 57 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
A few reasons that hulk 22 is priced as I is are a) it came as a bit of a surprise - a lot of ppl missed out on it and b)there are no variant covers!

Back on topic;

Poka is right to point that out. Those are two vital ingredients for a key book.

To those that have an opinion on this, I would suggest you read the short series first. Two things jumped right out at me:

1. Hulk currently is the most pussified super in all the marvel universe. It's Totally awesomely sad. Completely, and totally, pussified (and has the control to keep his pussification while green).

2. Wolverine is portrayed as an old man on his way out. This does not appeal to younger people. He is not "cool".

Marvel has a chance to make this new guy into something. He is neither good nor bad; has the temperement of wolverine of old, and the crazy power of the hulk of old. If they play their cards right (and NOT name him fkng "Hulkverine" ), there is a chance this new guy could be something really big for them.

I have yet to read the entire series but I would definitely disagree that an older Wolverine does not appeal to young people.

Both the popularity of the original Old Man Logan storyline, and the success of Logan, proved that assertion of yours to be inaccurate.

I dunno how the Hulk can be "pussified", either.

The Hulk is.....well, The Hulk.
Post 58 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Funny how many will poo poo the high prices for new books. Yet, will ask those high prices for the ones they speculated on.

Just funny.

Got one of these you want to sell? Let me see you sell it for near cover price. Then I will be impressed about your stance on these ridiculous high prices.
Post 59 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I'm rich!

http://www.sellmycomicbooks.com/most-valuable-comic-books-copper-age.html
Post 60 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@DocBrown I'll give you points on that, but it is not as much of a fix as you are claiming. Because when it comes to the history of Wolverine's popularity, people in the field give Chris Claremont full credit for his transition from being a hothead fighter to warrior with amnesia.

Here is one example:clickable text

Pretty much, Chris Claremont offered the idea to make him older, make him be an amnesiac warrior, and everything else that validates what I have said.

To be fair, that's Chris Claremont talking about Chris Claremont's version of events, long after the fact.

Chris Claremont, however, wanted to get rid of the character, as is detailed by Byrne (and not disputed by Claremont) here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807002637/http://graphicnovelreporter.com:80/content/x-effect-interview-john-byrne-interview

"When I came to the book, Chris told me he and Dave had planned to write Wolverine out of the series. Neither of them liked the character much, and Dave was more interested in doing stuff with Nightcrawler." - John Byrne

It is inescapable that Claremont wanted to get rid of Wolvie. He didn't see the potential in the character. Byrne did. In that respect, Claremont doesn't really get to come along after the fact and claim credit for later character development. Without Byrne, it's possible that Wolvie would have been a forgotten character. Which "people in the field" are you referring to?
Post 61 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
Unfortunately the bolded took away what was interesting about the character in the first place IMHO.

Kind of like when Claremont turned Magneto into a "freedom fighter".

I know how you feel. I was a fan of Wolverine from the moment I picked up 'The Uncanny X-Men #242' to (around) 'Wolverine (volume 2) #125'. With my favorite period that I was unable to collect being the Larry Hama/Marc Silvestri stuff. But in the end, 'Wolverine #125' was pretty much the last time I chose to read anything new that Chris Claremont rote. It as just that bad, IMHO.

And worse, the whole Marvel racing to do more of Wolverine's backstory before Fox had the chance was the glaring red light that had me shift from Wolverine to X-23, and then just drop Marvel the moment Marjorie Liu made it hard for me to enjoy that character in her own solo series. Which must be why I finally dropped Marvel a few days before joining this forum.
Post 62 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
To be fair, that's Chris Claremont talking about Chris Claremont's version of events, long after the fact.

Which is pretty much Chris Claremont pulling a Stan Lee. Meaning that even if Stan Lee was the "eccentric go-to" guy that Jack Kirby said he was during his tenure at Marvel, Stan will give us a version here Jack was definitely "The King" and he wished that they could have done more together.

Quote:
Which "people in the field" are you referring to?

The earliest, and briefest, I can recall was Fabian Nicieza. This was during a comic shop signing, and while he signed my copy of Cable #1. Funny thing was that the topic I had mentioned prior to him saying that was similar to what I would see in the original Guardians of the Galaxy.

The rest ranged from interviews that included him to those who praised his collaborations with John Byrne, during other means of being told how great of a writer he was. Which has me wonder what has happened to his writing style since the days he stopped working on the first Excalibur series.

Then again... I still wonder if the Team-13/Team-X I wrote in a letter to Gen13's (JSC era) editorial was just pure coincidence in regards to the time difference between both publications.
Post 63 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Quote:
A few reasons that hulk 22 is priced as I is are a) it came as a bit of a surprise - a lot of ppl missed out on it and b)there are no variant covers!

Back on topic;

Poka is right to point that out. Those are two vital ingredients for a key book.

To those that have an opinion on this, I would suggest you read the short series first. Two things jumped right out at me:

1. Hulk currently is the most pussified super in all the marvel universe. It's Totally awesomely sad. Completely, and totally, pussified (and has the control to keep his pussification while green).

2. Wolverine is portrayed as an old man on his way out. This does not appeal to younger people. He is not "cool".

Marvel has a chance to make this new guy into something. He is neither good nor bad; has the temperement of wolverine of old, and the crazy power of the hulk of old. If they play their cards right (and NOT name him fkng "Hulkverine" ), there is a chance this new guy could be something really big for them.

I have yet to read the entire series but I would definitely disagree that an older Wolverine does not appeal to young people.

Both the popularity of the original Old Man Logan storyline, and the success of Logan, proved that assertion of yours to be inaccurate.

I dunno how the Hulk can be "pussified", either.

The Hulk is.....well, The Hulk.

@CAK you gotta read the series to understand what I'm saying. He is no longer the hulk. He's a big green dude walking around with his pinky up drinking tea.

Maybe youre a bit right about logan. Let me put it this way; while logan may be popular, he is not nearly as cool as the young military man motorcycle-stealing cigar-smoking dude we grew up with.
Post 64 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
@robertofredrico @shrewbeer, thanks guys. That second pic looks much cooler.
Post 65 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
crazy is when you have 20+ watchers within 24 hrs for one of your auctions http://www.ebay.com/itm/142496589971
Post 66 IP   flag post
Quote:
crazy is when you have 20+ watchers within 24 hrs for one of your auctions http://www.ebay.com/itm/142496589971

Nice store you have there. With how CGC has been labeling things, I think the label on #21 from them is going to say "1st appearance", with #22 getting nothing. My guess is #21 is going to go up in value once the slabs start showing up.
Post 67 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@CAK you gotta read the series to understand what I'm saying. He is no longer the hulk. He's a big green dude walking around with his pinky up drinking tea.

Quoted for greatness!
Post 68 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer cheers
Post 69 IP   flag post
Collector NilesPaine private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer
You're referring to Cho Hulk right??? Can I just say something here. . . Things over at Marvel have been. . .I dunno the word?? Dumbed down?? Corny??

Or maybe it's the writers are not very good?? No offense but Mattina covers can only keep things going for so long. Some of us actually do still read comics!!!!

I dunno what the scoop is but this Legacy overhaul better put some stank in the tank. At least in some of the books. If I don't see my friendly neighborhood symbiote swallowing things whole in War Stories tomorrow, I'm gonna be pretty disappointed. Though Edge of Verse #5 was pretty fun. The tone of these books has gotten very PG overall though. And some of this dribble Hulk Generations was just a terrible read. Just terrible. I enjoyed the Weapon X 7 tie in to 22 though, so we'll see how it goes. . .
Post 70 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I hope it sustains. I have a few copies out for grading.
Post 71 IP   flag post
Collector QuantumTunnelRat private msg quote post Address this user
I'd say no. I had an auction for a NM+ copy and it only when for $35. Now, since I paid cover price I'm happy with getting nearly 10x what I paid, but prices are already dropping on this book. I'd sell while you can. That's what I did.
Post 72 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
Totally Awesome Hulk #22 isn't even out yet. Or am I missing something?
Post 73 IP   flag post
Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user
You're missing something😜 I picked up 2 of em off the rack, and didn't notice they were worth anything till last week🍻
Post 74 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine
Totally Awesome Hulk #22 isn't even out yet. Or am I missing something?

Post 75 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilesPaine
@shrewbeer
You're referring to Cho Hulk right??? Can I just say something here. . . Things over at Marvel have been. . .I dunno the word?? Dumbed down?? Corny??

Or maybe it's the writers are not very good?? No offense but Mattina covers can only keep things going for so long. Some of us actually do still read comics!!!!

I dunno what the scoop is but this Legacy overhaul better put some stank in the tank. At least in some of the books. If I don't see my friendly neighborhood symbiote swallowing things whole in War Stories tomorrow, I'm gonna be pretty disappointed. Though Edge of Verse #5 was pretty fun. The tone of these books has gotten very PG overall though. And some of this dribble Hulk Generations was just a terrible read. Just terrible. I enjoyed the Weapon X 7 tie in to 22 though, so we'll see how it goes. . .

I prefer to call it SJW Marvel.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
How interesting.
Post 77 IP   flag post
@Wolverine maybe they didn't arrive Canada yet - Canada post has been a bit slow lately 😎
Post 78 IP   flag post
I decided to delete this post.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Quote:
How interesting.

Indeed.
Post 80 IP   flag post
601333 98 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?