Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeGrading Help NeededPop CultureQuestions

ebay buyer accuses me of switching labels!4188

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I will also be holding off on submitting books for grading until these issues are addressed. I have no doubt we'll hear something soon, though.
Post 201 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Before I submit anything besides Spawn books that outer shell is going to have to be more tamper proof. My thing is I like the CBCS case and appearance. I hate the fact that you can open it with a cheap bottle opener. I will not be submitting anything I plan to sale until this is addressed. If it was me seal the shell UV glue
Post 202 IP   flag post
Collector NilesPaine private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kclaw97
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomEwan
I have not read the entire thread so my apologies if this has already been mentioned. But from what I have read there hasn't been much in suggestions to fix this. So an idea I would like to put up for consideration is... what if the inner well was sealed with the serial number that matched the label

This is a pretty good idea...would simply need to ensure that the 'inner' serial number is visible but doesn't ruin the aesthetic of the case.

This is a pretty good idea but even if serial numbers match how does that prevent someone from switching the book??? The thing we gotta remember too is that this will back up book times A LOT and even further. It's an extra step in the process unless they somehow just imprint them on the case??

I don't see why there can't be some form of inner sticker/seal between where the case cracks open that as soon as that's cracked it's visible it's been tampered with and a quick photo snapshot of that area will show it. For instance how CGC has the grade on a small piece of paper across the top. Dunno what material you'd use or what to show it's been tampered with but as soon as its opened, it shows. Also that way going forward when buying slabs, you know automatically where to check and what to check for. I'm just shooting fish in an ocean here, what else you guys got???? It has to be something visible, efficient, and money conscious.
Post 203 IP   flag post
Also side note, I'd easily pay an extra buck or two for peace of mind. But that's just my two cents.
Post 204 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Well - at least one good thing from the response of a few board members would be that the turnaround time may decrease a bit.
Post 205 IP   flag post

I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilesPaine
The irony of this happening literally the week I have been deciding to try out CBCS or not is pretty much the autobiography of my life. So I wasn't hugely concerned as I usually don't buy secondhand grades. I didn't really mind it at first but the more I read it's got me sort of meh. In terms of resell this is a HUGE concern as is proven. I don't plan on selling my books for years, but at the same time, "when did you slab those" will be a pretty annoying conversation to have once the time comes.

The main problem is there are ALWAYS a few people who will ALWAYS exploit something. I can just see the crooks following that video and practicing now. Con season knocking at the door?? And this breaks??

CBCS needs to get ahead of this and make some kind of statement about how they are going to proceed forward. Not just a pop up on a forum "heat seals sometimes maybe possibly if/when it works??" Like an OFFICIAL statement. Your main job as a business is keeping your consumer informed and happy. I hope for their sake they are hastily coming up with a remedy because CGC will have a FIELD DAY with this. I doubt they'd do a reslab program, at least not until next year after con season. Anyone have a recent batch, say July or this month?? and if so how legit are the heat seals inside??

Wiser words were never spoken my man. As for the Heat Seals inside?

IMHO they are simply not a viable solution to the security Issue.

I believe that if CBCS wants to set themselves apart from the competition to gain the Market share they require to become a serious premiere player in the Authentication Field, they need to seize the moment NOW! by unveiling a NEW, leading edge tamper resistant solution, that will not only satisfy and secure the loyalty of their current base, but the vast legions of collectors still on the fence.

A band aid fix here would be a mistake IMHO. Don't just follow the crowd, GO BIG in such a profound way that forces, even the harshest CBCS critics to stand up and take notice! Just like they did with the bad plastic's issue. The CGC people are circling with the smell of blood in the water. Just imagine the Brand Name recognition CBCS could achieve with a new innovative security feature that would leave them with their mouths hanging open! That would be an EPIC game changer!!! Balls in your court now CGC,PGX
Post 206 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
To be honest, I am seeing the whole "CBCS security issue" in a kinder way way that the anti-AFA (Action Figure Authority) toy collectors act whenever somebody brings up the fact they bought a sealed/graded vintage toy. Most would bring up the time they graded a slew of KO Transformers figures, but also leave out the fact their parent company bought as many as they could as a means of rectifying this mistake.

And one even claimed, to me mind you, that AFA cuts the factory seal tape on a product before they give it a grade. Which is a complete and utter falsehood since they only cut the tape when they think it was not factory sealed, and the owner gives them permission to do so.

But in the case of CBCS' "you need the right tools and surgical precision to scam a buyer" aspect of this topic, we should always remember that CGC had its share of scam-based controversies. Such as the following article that I am posting here. It is less than 3 years old, but it should be a reminder that we cannot go pro-CGC or anti-CBCS over something that dishonest dealers will do for a higher pay.

[Errata: Forgot to add the link: http://www.thecomicbookforum.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1028]

Because lets face it... If a hacker was able to get into Funimation's servers and leak upcoming episodes of One Piece, dishonest dealers will find ways to swap labels no matter how many improvements CGC, CGBA, and PGX improve this. Which is why I am with those who will try to withhold on having their stuff graded until the QC issue with the case is settled.

One I will cap off by saying that I only have things encased or slabbed for my own hopes of having them be a long-term emotional investment.
Post 207 IP   flag post
@BigRedOne1944 you say you are a supporter of cbcs yet you continue to post these groundless opinions which are made as statements so let's make a test - shall we?

You state that cgc people are circling with the smell of blood in the water. Please provide supporting.

If no reasonable supporting can be provided then you have officially made it to my ignore list. On the other hand - if you are able to provide supporting then I may end up bowing for you.
Post 208 IP   flag post
@BigRedOne1944
I totally agree with you. Even if I have to pay a few dollars more for THEE next step in slab authenticity I will. I think they should set a new standard so that both CGC and PGX have to follow THEM. Who wants the CGC slugslime cases when I can have this beautiful *near* Tamper Proof, crystal clear slab?? They need like some nice, shiny seal/sticker/thing/guard dog/alien whatever that says, THIS IS US and THIS IS OURS and DON'T MEDDLE WITH IT because if you do and you want to mess around, people will know if you're trying to scam them! Respect our community and we respect your comics. To each their own though. I'm just a guy on a forum.

I think even a statement about them weighing their options on what to do right now would even be effective to calm the flame a little.
Post 209 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
@poka I used to have three CGC graded comics and two CBCA graded comics. So I will just say that I agree with the point you are making.

But I will continue to question why something a dishonest dealer does is more important than the continuation of select QC issues that both CGC and CBCA are currently overlooking.
Post 210 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Instant_Subtitles
To be honest, I am seeing the whole "CBCS security issue" in a kinder way way that the anti-AFA (Action Figure Authority) toy collectors act whenever somebody brings up the fact they bought a sealed/graded vintage toy. Most would bring up the time they graded a slew of KO Transformers figures, but also leave out the fact their parent company bought as many as they could as a means of rectifying this mistake.

And one even claimed, to me mind you, that AFA cuts the factory seal tape on a product before they give it a grade. Which is a complete and utter falsehood since they only cut the tape when they think it was not factory sealed, and the owner gives them permission to do so.

But in the case of CBCS' "you need the right tools and surgical precision to scam a buyer" aspect of this topic, we should always remember that CGC had its share of scam-based controversies. Such as the following article that I am posting here. It is less than 3 years old, but it should be a reminder that we cannot go pro-CGC or anti-CBCS over something that dishonest dealers will do for a higher pay.

[Errata: Forgot to add the link: http://www.thecomicbookforum.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1028]

Because lets face it... If a hacker was able to get into Funimation's servers and leak upcoming episodes of One Piece, dishonest dealers will find ways to swap labels no matter how many improvements CGC, CGBA, and PGX improve this. Which is why I am with those who will try to withhold on having their stuff graded until the QC issue with the case is settled.

One I will cap off by saying that I only have things encased or slabbed for my own hopes of having them be a long-term emotional investment.

I agree wholeheartedly that meddlers will meddle and scammers will scam. Only difference, I'd say is that CBCS is the new kid on the block so they still have some proving. They have their core, but for switching guys like me, who have yet to take the leap, this makes me nervous. I've literally been on the fence with sending to CBCS and now that this happened I'm sort of waiting in the wings to see how it plays out. Shame the greed of a few always ruin the fun for the many.
Post 211 IP   flag post
@NilesPaine fair enough - assuming you don't have any first or second generation cgc slabs - if so you should be equally nervous about those.
Post 212 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
@NilesPaine fair enough - assuming you don't have any first or second generation cgc slabs - if so you should be equally nervous about those.

No, I only recently got into the slabbing game and mostly my own collection. From what I gather though, they were as easy if not easier to crack?? I'd be curious how "easy" is easy. We talking some spit and muscle or potential for damage to case easy??
Post 213 IP   flag post
@NilesPaine nice. I believe @Ironman did a few videos.
Post 214 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Somebody answer the damn phone around there at CBCS?

They're all in Chicago.
Post 215 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
I don't feel like reading all nine pages of this...my bad.

Has anyone pointed out that the eBay buyer is NOT saying the label was swapped? He/she is saying he thinks the BOOK was swapped. So it would seem the recent discussion over label swapping is NOT at the heart of the problems with this particular transaction. What is going on has gone on countless times every since professional grading of comics started. Newbies buying slabbed books see rough plastic on one edge or notice the slides flex open a little bit (both perfectly normal) and get all freaked out, convinced it's a broken or damaged or altered slab/book. I've read this a hundred times on the discussion board across the street.

To the OP, just tell him to send the book back and you'll refund. The fool will either go back to collecting raw or eventually learn what slabs actually look like.

As for label swapping in general, it's already been clearly demonstrated it's possible to do with any companies slabs. But it's very rare.
Post 216 IP   flag post
Collector b00ch private msg quote post Address this user

Post 217 IP   flag post

Post 218 IP   flag post
a few of my slabs recently above
Post 219 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilesPaine
I agree wholeheartedly that meddlers will meddle and scammers will scam. Only difference, I'd say is that CBCS is the new kid on the block so they still have some proving. They have their core, but for switching guys like me, who have yet to take the leap, this makes me nervous. I've literally been on the fence with sending to CBCS and now that this happened I'm sort of waiting in the wings to see how it plays out. Shame the greed of a few always ruin the fun for the many.

Thanks. And to be honest, the main reason why I switched from relying on CGC to giving CBCS a chance was their handling of their QC. My first CGC slabbed comic was a 'NYX 3' that was graded 9.8, and was purchased when the value was in the high $200s. But when I got the comic, I had noticed how poorly treated it was by the time they slabbed it. And my last one with them looked more of a post-graded 9.6, thanks to their sliding ordeal.

But with what you said, I 100% agree with you. Because while they are established in a way that is similar to how/why Image Comics was founded, they still need to work smarter if they choose to go from being the "not CGC" guys to becoming the best alternative to CGC.
Post 220 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by b00ch
a few of my slabs recently above

Yep. And newbies get their first or one of their first slabs and notice the rough plastic and go all paranoid. Convinced they have been ripped off. Sometimes you can talk them off the ledge and show them pictures like this. Sometimes you cut your losses and ditch the aggravation and just say "sorry you aren't happy. What you are seeing is normal but you can return the book for a refund if you want".

Why I rarely sell on eBay. It's where all the newbies live. Never have a problem like this on ComicLink or Comic Connect or MCS.
Post 221 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@b00ch pm sent
Post 222 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

And here, I'll admit: this looks terrible.
Post 223 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs

I agree. Some of these are really rough. More than I have ever seen.
Post 224 IP   flag post
also that was only 1 side. Some are clean and some have the roughness on the other side.
Post 225 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
I have to check mine. I know I have roughness on some slabs but not sure to what degree.
Post 226 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Has anyone pointed out that the eBay buyer is NOT saying the label was swapped? He/she is saying he thinks the BOOK was swapped.

*raises his hand* Yo. But I also took it the same way you chose to explain why you do not sell slabbed comics on eBay: The results of being a rookie in this particular field.

However,there are other types of rookies in the wild. And what is needed requires somebody to write a documentation titled "Introduction to Slabbed Comics". Because that is the way this is going.
Post 227 IP   flag post
Collector whowill private msg quote post Address this user
These just got here a week ago.. I'm very concern about this. I got over 100 more still there at CBCS. Will CBCS do anything about this to fix ? These and many others have to go to my customers ☚ī¸đŸ™đŸ˜Ÿ

Post 228 IP   flag post
Quote:
also that was only 1 side. Some are clean and some have the roughness on the other side.

The roughness you see is where the plastic is injected into the mold and then trimmed off when removed from the mold. The injection/trim can be on either side. Most likely the mold that makes the slabs has two slabs being made at a time, side by side. The melted plastic enters in the center of the mold and then branches out to both sides. So you have left side/right side slabs and injection points.

If you look at your slabs, you won't see the roughness on BOTH sides.

These look like most of mine. Some will look a bit rougher than others, but regardless, it is nothing more than the point the plastic was injected into the mold and then removed and trimmed.

The type of plastic (clear, high impact polystyrene) makes it look a bit worse visually. If this were a black plastic case made of say polypropylene, it would be much less noticeable. But then we wouldn't be able to see the comic inside...
Post 229 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
ref: what is a "top loader" that includes a bagged book?
Post 230 IP   flag post
598088 382 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.