Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Hanginglimbs private msg quote post Address this user
Anyone have any recommendations for some darker comics out there? Either current runs or relatively recent (post-2000s). I've started reading Babyteeth and Plastic and I dig em. Looking into titles like Dark Ark and Unholy Grail. Not really interested in something like the Walking Dead. Any other current or recent runs out there that are pretty good?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
Afterlife with Archie and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina are both really good, though only 2-3 issues of each come out a year. Both have first volume trades.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector tonnage71 private msg quote post Address this user
Black Eyed Kids
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Pestilence is okay, but the artwork is not as moody as I would have expected for that series. The storyline is okay and the cover art is awesome.

If you're looking for something with a Sci-fi slant, I read the first issue of Trespasser by Alterna comics (they're the new company that uses newsprint). The first issue was great, but its a sci-fi dystopian kind a thing. Might not fit what you're looking for.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Riverdale TV show was dark, comic should mirror the show for the most part.

Anything by Mark Millar (Wanter, Kick-Ass, Hit Girl, Kick Ass 2, Nemesis, Superior, Old Man Logan, etc.) If Millar wrote it there is something really messed up that happened.

Locke & Key, Chew, Walking Dead, Revival, Think Tank, Happy!, Peter Panzerfaust, etc. Image and IDW circa 2009-2012 had some really great stuff.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'll had kill or killed to my list. More of noir with some psychological twists and horror elements.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Relevant to the thread: http://screenrant.com/scariest-horror-comic-books-haunt-dreams-for-life/
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector VictorCreed private msg quote post Address this user
Wytches, and Harrow County are pretty good.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Hack /Slash
Evil Ernie / Lady Death
Fatale
Pretty Deadly
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Zombiebigfoot private msg quote post Address this user
Redneck
Extremity
Redlands
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector neyko private msg quote post Address this user
I will second Harrow County. Cullen is an author you can watch for. He is often at Boom!
The Unsound by Cullen

Cullen's The Empty Man is really good so far.
I am 3 issues into the 6 issue series. (So much to catch up on.)

Mind MGMT by Kindt is good.
I want to check out Dept H by Kindt.
Check out all Matt Kindt's non DC Marvel stuff.

Twisted Tales is an older book that is more fun horror.

I hope that helps. I like this genre, too.

oh, and check out Nailbiter if you like horror.
Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I'd recommend the first Hellblazer trade

If you liked 30 Days of Night, the same artist did Dead Space, but it's a video game adaptation so the writkng probably isn't as good

Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I love 'Lady Killer' by Jamie S. Rich. But the real star of the series is the art. My friend described the art as "twisted Disney", & I can totally see that. I now really want some Joƫlle Jones original art from this series.

Lady Killer https://www.amazon.com/dp/1616557575/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_xH7Nzb6VKNEFW
Post 13 IP   flag post
The 2008 X-Force series and the following Uncanny X-Force series has some of the most hard core X-Men and they are not afraid to kill.

Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
Ten Grand (Image) by J. Michael Straczynski would fit the bill of 'dark' and the 12 issues are collected in two tpbs.

I'll echo the Archie horror titles Afterlife and Chilling Adventures are pretty good reads and throw in the Black Hood as well.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector FrankDrebin private msg quote post Address this user
The old Night Breed series
Post 16 IP   flag post
How could I forget Morning Glories?

Speaking of this series, I read the first 20 or so issues and still have no idea what the hell is going on. Does this one ever start making sense?

Manhattan Projects
East of West
Bedlam is really, really dark - Madder Red does not mess around
Blue Estate - Cool story, hated the artwork
Snapshot - Liked this four issue mini-series
Clone
Danger Club
Deadly Class
Dia De Los Muertos
Five Ghosts
Kingsmen the Secret Service
Mind the Gap
Rat Queens
Sex Criminals
Severed
Southern Bastards
Killogy
Thief of Thieves
Pestilence - looks dark, haven't read it yet
The Cape
Thumbprint
Tales from the Darkside
Wraith
Kodiak
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
I second nailbiter. The series is finished so I'm sure you can pick up the trades for cheap.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos

Speaking of this series, I read the first 20 or so issues and still have no idea what the hell is going on. Does this one ever start making sense?

Deadly Class
Thief of Thieves

I thought of Morning Glories, but didn't want to suggest it as I also jumped ship around #26 or so as I wasn't understanding the storyline for several issues running.

Deadly Class is a good one, and ToT was one of my favorite titles in the last couple years. I guess I forgot it was 'dark'.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveinthecity
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos

Deadly Class
Thief of Thieves

I thought of Morning Glories, but didn't want to suggest it as I also jumped ship around #26 or so as I wasn't understanding the storyline for several issues running.

Deadly Class is a good one, and ToT was one of my favorite titles in the last couple years. I guess I forgot it was 'dark'.

Morning Glories sure is dark. The body count stacks up pretty quick in the beginning.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
If you like dark comics with a religious bent, I HIGHLY recommend Roman Ritual by Amigo comics. It is a 4 issue limited series and well worth the read.

Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Zarbongo private msg quote post Address this user
Uber/Uber Invasion by Kieron Gillen. Avatar press.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Zarbongo private msg quote post Address this user

Post 23 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
RICK AND MORTY
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Xobairowar private msg quote post Address this user
Razor,It's older than you are looking for though....from the early 90s

Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Hanginglimbs private msg quote post Address this user
thanks so much for the suggestions. i have a few on my ebay list and picked up some from my lcs.

also pre-ordered dark ark. i love the concept and having ben templesmith do a variant is never a bad idea
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
I'm a big fan of predator comics
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I like Outcast by Image.
Post 28 IP   flag post
600805 28 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?