Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeQuestions

Comic book speculation4098

Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazywan
I just want to be able to grab a couple of these book so later I can sell some off when I need to buy kids a car or money for college

Good luck with that. It reminds me of the guy that spent $100K on Beanie Babies expecting it to pay for his kids college fund.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Krazywan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Quote:
The variant cover craze will hopefully pass as it hurts my wallet

If you hope it ends then why are you spending money on them? And if you don't want to spend money on them, why not just stop spending money on them? And if you like them enough to continue spending money on them, why do you want them to end? You've created your own personal paradox cycle.
They are there so I buy, although I do not buy a lot of them, because of the craziness of the market, and my wallet. What I would like is to be able to pick them better, like with the call you made on the Supergirl
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Maybe something will come out of this thread - maybe there really is a good way to speculate.

Would be nice

Just need to be cautious - many more ways to get burnt and sink money into something that you will never see the return on
Well that's what I hoping for, we all speculate for different reasons but the question is what do you look at and how do you come to your speculation decisions

Are you looking to buy new books to speculate on? Silver / Bronze / Copper keys?
when I thought of this topic I had modern age in mind
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe something will come out of this thread - maybe there really is a good way to speculate.

Would be nice

Just need to be cautious - many more ways to get burnt and sink money into something that you will never see the return on
Well that's what I hoping for, we all speculate for different reasons but the question is what do you look at and how do you come to your speculation decisions

Are you looking to buy new books to speculate on? Silver / Bronze / Copper keys?

So, like buying multiple copies of new #1's, variant covers..that kind of stuff?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Sell it for $50 raw or slabbed?

Graded. It would probably never pull that amount of money if it weren't a 9.8.

I was going to say if you could sell X-Force #1's raw for $50 that you would be my hero
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
Quote:
I just want to be able to grab a couple of these book so later I can sell some off when I need to buy kids a car or money for college

Good luck with that. It reminds me of the guy that spent $100K on Beanie Babies expecting it to pay for his kids college fund.
now I'm not looking to completely fund but a few extra bucks down the road can't hurt
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Would be nice

Si, like buying multiple copies of new #1's, variant covers..that kind of stuff?
I might just be catching the flipper bug then now that I'm thinking about it
Post 32 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I was going to say if you could sell X-Force #1's raw for $50 that you would be my hero

Say what you want about grading companies, but they have given us the ability to turn trash into treasure.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Say what you want about grading companies, but they have given us the ability to turn trash into treasure.

One of my favorite things to do is take a $1 bin comic and turn it into $100+...it's like alchemy.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I think someone already mentioned but check movies/tv in development.
Could buy every new #1 out there but that is risky
Find a hot artist and follow them for variants etc.
First appearances of characters.

All have risk involved - show gets canceled - show sucks and no one wants the books.
Hard to tell what #1 to buy - what series will take off?
Variants....I can't speak to these...I collect and rarely sell - got out of variants in the 90's
First appearances - again - what character will take off, get a book or show of their own - hard to tell

Too many pitfalls for me to try the flipping game
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
The variant cover craze will hopefully pass as it hurts my wallet and I do wish that they would focus on story content more and character development. What made me start thinking about this was seeing totally awesome hulk 22 hitting second print and 1st print selling for $20 on eBay. Never heard about it in untill it was to late.

Hulk 22? Aw man, How did @darthlego miss that one?!
Post 36 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Just a thought.

Back in about 1995, I bought approximately 8,000 comic books in long boxes. Each book had been bought new, never read, and placed in mylar sleeves with backer boards by the original owner.

He was at a small con trying to sell what he could. Said his wife wanted them out of the house because they took up too much room. He had bought them for speculation purposes. I had known the guy for several years and I offhandedly told him I would buy al of them for fifty cents a piece.

To my surprise, he agreed. I was in too deep to back out, so we counted them all. I filled my truck and took them home. Luckily it wasn't raining that day.

I paid him about a week later (that was the agreement). I still have most of them, but have sold some and given away more than some.

Now, some of those books are worth a bit of cash. But many are not worth more than a quarter.

I have moved three times since then, and had to lug those boxes from house to house.

I say this to illustrate that, every once in awhile an opportunity might present itself. Either jump on it or decline. But never buy in bulk and pay anywhere near half of what they might be sellable for. It ain't worth the work.

As far as buying off the shelf or stand for speculation purposes. You better know what the heck you are doing. Because there are tons of nice looking books, and many have first appearances, etc., that never amount to anything. If you knew how many first appearances of Gilgamesh, Dazzler and Speedball I speculated on, you would laugh.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
How do you all speculate on what modern comics buy for investment purposes. I understand looking for special covers and first apperences, but i always find out about them when its to late. Do you guys have anywhere special you watch out for this stuff or do you rely on word of mouth? With the success of the supergirl 12 thread, i would like to see more of that speculation going on so the slow to catch on people like me can get a heads up.

My recommendation is to not spend another dollar on a comic book as an investment. Your at the tipping point of heading down a very slippery slope with some serious but hurt at the bottom.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:
The variant cover craze will hopefully pass as it hurts my wallet and I do wish that they would focus on story content more and character development. What made me start thinking about this was seeing totally awesome hulk 22 hitting second print and 1st print selling for $20 on eBay. Never heard about it in untill it was to late.

Hulk 22? Aw man, How did @darthlego miss that one?!
that's what I'm sayin
Post 39 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
In high school I started collecting comics for about a decade before stopping. As there was no Ebay or Craigslist I sold very few of them to my brother, his friends, or to dealers at shows so I could buy other books.

Back then I had memorized large sections of the Overstreet Price Guide but had limited funds. I bought books off the rack as well as back issues. My biggest bet on a new book was the ten copies of Wolverine 1 I bought in 1988 (6 9.8s, 3 9.6s, 1 9.4). My more successful bet that year was the five copies of ASM 300 I bought (4 9.8s and 1 9.6). Biggest purchase Iron Fist 14 (9.2) second biggest Giant Size X-Men 1 (4.0).

About fifteen years later roughly 3,200 comic books moved from my mother's house to my place. As I figured out how to go about selling them I decided to start buying again. I initially took a shotgun approach (off the rack, pre-orders with discount comic buyers service, comic shows, Ebay, CGC forum. When I started my consignments with Comic Connect I also started buying books from them. Now I am trying o take more of a rifle approach.

While I have a lot of experience and generally go with my gut when buying books I do look very carefully at the sales data. Usually what I think is cool is what makes sense to buy but sometimes I have to tell myself to back away from books that have been sitting in my inventory even though I think they are awesome.

Sometimes hot books can cool off (Outcast and other Image books come to mind). Other times you think you missed the boat and the party just keeps going. When I got back into comics Walking Dead was around issue 50. Even though I was more interested in books like Chew and Locke and Key (the next big thing?) I still picked up many Walking Dead books. Also, I remember running around to various comic shops at one point and scooping up all of the WD and Chew back issues at cover before everyone jacked them up to $10 each.

For every home run everyone who has speculated on comics ended up with at least a dozen turkeys. Over time even some of those duds can turn to gold if you are lucky.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by zosocane
Modern books are very risky. My opinion. Stick with pre-1975 books.

Agreed.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Would be nice

I only buy pre-1975 and fill in's up to 1981.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
Quote:
Originally Posted by zosocane
Modern books are very risky. My opinion. Stick with pre-1975 books.

Agreed.

Whatever market you're going to concentrate on, the most important thing is to learn about it as much as possible. That way you can mitigate loss as much as possible.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

now I'm not looking to completely fund but a few extra bucks down the road can't hurt

If you're looking for books that can fund something down the road, you should keep in mind the history of what happened when speculators and comic companies flooded the market with books. What's happening now, the "variants" and manufactured rarities, may have an impact on the market especially when flippers start losing money on the books they're hoarding.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you're looking for books that can fund something down the road, you should keep in mind the history of what happened when speculators and comic companies flooded the market with books. What's happening now, the "variants" and manufactured rarities, may have an impact on the market especially when flippers start losing money on the books they're hoarding.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always felt speculators hoarded and flippers churn and burn?
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:

Would be nice

The thing to remember is it's a hobby first and investment second. If you're looking for fun and good reads, read them all. If you're looking for an investment check out the Overstreet Price guides (older one's) to see how prices have changed and buy proven titles that you know will never lose there value. AF 15, ASM 1, 129, FF 1, 2,3,4,5, 12, Avengers 1, 4, HULK 181, X-Men 94 These comic books (as everyone will tell you) will never go down in value.
Post 46 IP   flag post
You're right but I think you know what I meant. Flippers can hoard them just as well as the speculators, they just don't hold them as long.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
Quote:

Would be nice

The thing to remember is it's a hobby first and investment second. If you're looking for fun and good reads, read them all. If you're looking for an investment check out the Overstreet Price guides (older one's) to see how prices have changed and buy proven titles that you know will never lose there value. AF 15, ASM 1, 129, FF 1, 2,3,4,5, 12, Avengers 1, 4, HULK 181, X-Men 94 These comic books (as everyone will tell you) will never go down in value.

Looks like a few of those books are on the decline.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
If so, it's only temporary. Buy low!
Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
For investing, mid & high grade Silver Age keys are my preference.

Any first appearance of a character that hasn't seen a reboot in the last decade or two is worth considering. There's plenty of room for speculation.

Even major key bronze & copper Age books have room to grow.
Post 50 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
The best time to buy a book is right before they announce the movie.
Post 51 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
If you're going to invest in any age of book, do so with THIS (link) in mind.

Some books are organically valuable, where everybody actually wants them. Some books are artificially hot, where everybody who's buying just thinks that someone else will want them (there's the greater fool theory). Right there is the difference in books that will hold value vs books that will crash.

Even the rock-steady golden age is not infallable. I've lost a few bucks on some books, and as a whole that market is actually in decline. The ratio of investors to people who actually want the books is getting worse by the day, and dealers are starting to shy away from them altogether.
Post 52 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
No, the best time to buy a book is at cover price 20 years prior to the movie announcement.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Here is an example of speculation done right (believe me there are screw ups on my resume but this was a win):

Roughly three years ago I bough about 80 books in an online auction over the course of three or four days. Books ranged from golden age to modern. There were two books available from a little known golden age title.

Issue 2 was a CGC 8.5. It was the tied for highest graded with one other copy (Mile High / Edgar Church pedigree - not mine, the other copy had the pedigree). I won issue 2 for $68.00.

Issue 3 was a CGC 6.0 but was the single highest graded copy. As two lower graded copies had gone higher in the past I won issue 3 for $38.00.

Last night a buyer took issue 3 off my hands at my asking price of $469.00.

I am not sure what percentage of the books are sold off after three years but I have to say I am feeling pretty good about those auction purchases right now.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector neyko private msg quote post Address this user
Originally comics went up in value because the only way to read the oldies was by getting one. Then we had reprints. Then TPB. Now we have digital. As digital grows, will fewer people have less interest in getting their hands on the original? Or will certain originals become even more valued? Will this allow more cultures to become exposed to these comics along with the movies making them of value worldwide?
Post 55 IP   flag post
600833 93 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?