Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeQuestions

Comic book speculation4098

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@neyko I used to use Ameritrade.
Post 76 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos what's a good alternative to ameritrade?
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector neyko private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
what's a good alternative to ameritrade?

I am glad you asked. I would go with a low fee Vanguard Admiral Index Fund. Generally looking st 10-16% return a year though past results can't be a predictor of future performance.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Collector neyko private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
The best time to buy a book is right before they announce the movie.

Or right before it jumps in value.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
After over 30 years of hardcore collecting, I still can't help reading through previews and trying to figure out what will the next hot book be... Trending writers, artists, storylines, etc, but a lot of it is based on what I like to read myself, luckily. Of course, I sit on the books anyway for the most part.

If Mister Miracle's return taught us anything, I'd watch Ragman, which is in Previews now for October release based on the creative team and the return of a classic and DIFFERENT hero. On the interesting cover side, Neal Adams Deadman Glow in the Dark cover (Deadman and Batman glow in the dark to skeletons, sure!!!).... Gotham City Garage starts up... Batman: White Knight... That's JUST looking at DC's pre-orders from the current Diamond Previews (August) for October release. Don't forget about the Batman Who Laughs, too, though he will make his debut earlier in Dark Nights Metal #2 and an issue of Teen Titans in Sept.

Marvel, Thor 700, of course, but I'm getting distracted by all of the lenticular covers and such. Too much going on there, though I'm pre-ordering several books.
Post 80 IP   flag post

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
what's a good alternative to ameritrade?

I switched to Interactive Brokers but it is not for everyone. There is less handholding / charting tools etc. If you make a lot of trades the fees are lower but you are charged a minimum of $10 per month even if you make zero trades.
Post 81 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I've considered getting into stocks.
Post 82 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
Ok do you want to know the real secret to making a small fortune in comic books?

Start off with a big fortune.

It doesn't hurt.
Post 83 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
Fidelity, for me!
Post 84 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
My brother is a stokbroker- has a seat on exchange
He says the safest thing to do with your money in relation to the stock market is to keep it out.
Post 85 IP   flag post
Has he developed a case of tourettes since November?
Post 86 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
He manages a team of brokers so he makes money but he's seen better times.
Last time the market took a major hit, a partner at his firm committed suicide at work.
Post 87 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
What's wrong with TD Ameritrade??? I've used them for 20 years or so.
Post 88 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
What's wrong with TD Ameritrade??? I've used them for 20 years or so.

If you make many trades, especially with options the fees add up.
Post 89 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazywan
How do you all speculate on what modern comics buy for investment purposes. I understand looking for special covers and first apperences, but i always find out about them when its to late. Do you guys have anywhere special you watch out for this stuff or do you rely on word of mouth? With the success of the supergirl 12 thread, i would like to see more of that speculation going on so the slow to catch on people like me can get a heads up.

@Krazywan

Well I think part of the reason it becomes an investment is due to the public being a little slow on the upkeep. All I'll say is Google is your friend, along with a little guess work inside your head...sometimes preemptive purchasing of potentially rare issues can strike gold...its like buying a stock while it's low.

By the time you see prices rising on eBay or people talking about it on the forum, you've missed the wave.
Post 90 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy

He says the safest thing to do with your money in relation to the stock market is to keep it out.

Shouldn't you keep your money in your mattress as well by that line of thinking? Serious question, I realize the markets are always a headline away from tanking, but aren't the banks, too?
Post 91 IP   flag post
Yep.
Post 92 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by comic_book_man

Well I think part of the reason it becomes an investment is due to the public being a little slow on the upkeep. All I'll say is Google is your friend, along with a little guess work inside your head...sometimes preemptive purchasing of potentially rare issues can strike gold...its like buying a stock while it's low.

By the time you see prices rising on eBay or people talking about it on the forum, you've missed the wave.

Very true! I get press releases on some things, which helps, but I also watch comic news sites, read Previews, and pay attention...

What's interesting this week? Weapon X #7 is going to sell out and is already selling out. Generations: Mighty Thor "should", but may not. While the story will be great based on the creative team alone, there's a nod to 1M BC in there that is being talked about in regards to Odin and "someone"... Don't want to spoil. If 1M BC does well, it might be one people want to track down later, both regular and variant covers.

One to look for coming up, or ONES to look for... Dark Nights Metal 2 and Teen Titans 12... The Batman Who Laughs debuts in Metal 2, but gets explored in TT 12 as well as his gaggle of Robins. There's a variant (B cover) by Chad Hardin with Batman Who Laughs, which I think will be the one people want.

So... three weeks ahead of the curve here! Teen Titans 12 WILL be under-ordered by retailers, I assure you, and the variant by Hardin will have even fewer orders, because the cover was unavailable for view by retailers, which means less would have been ordered (blind). Me? I'm just going to get one copy of each, because I want my local shop to be able to sell to people who will actually READ them.

http://www.cbr.com/meet-robins-batman-who-laughs/
http://comics-x-aminer.com/2017/08/19/first-look-teen-titans-12/
Post 93 IP   flag post
601199 93 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?