Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver AgeQuestions

Sales Format/Etiquette409

Collector Maverick private msg quote post Address this user
Hello all. Pretty slow day at work so I figured I would address an issue I currently see/foresee in the future.
Without an official post or community standard set for sales/trade threads we run the risk of flooding the forum with incomplete or misleading sales threads.

I’d like to see some set of hard rules we can refer to when posting, similar to the other boards. Some of the main things for me would be.

1) Payment options. (PayPal, Credit, Check, Cash)
2) Shipping. (Is it included, if not what options are you offering?)
3) Returns. (Do you allow them, if so what is the time frame)
4) Kudos/EBay feedback. (Some way to hold people accountable, provide assurances to members)
5) Trades (If it’s a trade also provide what books you're looking for)
6) Bump Limit (Some way to limit thread spamming once we get more and more people selling)

Just a few Ideas I was thinking about. What else would you guys suggest? Any feedback would be great.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector matterus023 private msg quote post Address this user
So people can post for sale on here. I wasn't sure if was allowed
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by matterus023

It seems to be allowed, it looks to be a little bit of a grey area at the moment. I would urge members to withhold sales threads until the sub forums are implemented as to not flood the main page.

As the site gains more members Im sure we'll see many more sales threads.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick
Quote:

It seems to be allowed, it looks to be a little bit of a grey area at the moment. I would urge members to withhold sales threads until the sub forums are implemented as to not flood the main page.

I don't feel anyone is really pushing any boundries by posting atm. If anything it should be alerting the group admins to let us know what the plan is for this side of things. I will hold off though until it has been made clear what is what. Thanks for posting this up
Post 4 IP   flag post
@matterus023 I agree I dont see anything wrong atm, the latest trade thread is a little vague imo. I just see it being more of a problem once the floodgates are opened and we see more members joining in.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
@matterus023 I agree I dont see anything wrong atm, the latest trade thread is a little vague imo. I just see it being more of a problem once the floodgates are opened and we see more members joining in.

Fully agree
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector stophmaster private msg quote post Address this user
Good set of common sense rules. Only thing I would add is an asking price. Seems obvious, but.....
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Kinzebac private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

+1
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

It appears that this was discussed by Borock somewhere else besides this forum. Makes no sense to me but totally within character.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert_Stylton
Quote:

It appears that this was discussed by Borock somewhere else besides this forum. Makes no sense to me but totally within character.

I don't quite understand what you mean?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

As far as I can tell CBCS said on Facebook that it's ok to sell here but for some legal reason they can't come on here, the chatboard, and say "go ahead and sell stuff". If there was a better search engine I could find the post. Maybe Mark 1's Cap saless thread?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

As far as I can tell CBCS said on Facebook that it's ok to sell here but for some legal reason they can't come on here, the chatboard, and say "go ahead and sell stuff". If there was a better search engine I could find the post. Maybe Mark 1's Cap saless thread?

Here's what I was thinking about, it was a PM that conditionfreak paraphrased:

"Hey guys. I received a private message from a moderator telling me basically this:

The rules are not exact for legal reasons. The moderators will observe what happens and let anyone crossing the line know they did so. They will also take whatever action they deem appropriate to correct any mistakes by us in attempting to sell. But that sales are NOT prohibited at this time. IE: sales are allowed to an unknown extent as of right now. If you are in doubt, private message a moderator. But really, just do your CBCS slabbed books or raw book sales and have fun."
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Here's what I was thinking about, it was a PM that conditionfreak paraphrased:

"Hey guys. I received a private message from a moderator telling me basically this:

The rules are not exact for legal reasons. The moderators will observe what happens and let anyone crossing the line know they did so. They will also take whatever action they deem appropriate to correct any mistakes by us in attempting to sell. But that sales are NOT prohibited at this time. IE: sales are allowed to an unknown extent as of right now. If you are in doubt, private message a moderator. But really, just do your CBCS slabbed books or raw book sales and have fun."

This is all kinds of odd to me. I see no legal reason why they couldn't openly say you can post stuff for sale on here.

This needs to be sorted asap.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Since ive started this thread ive seen 2-3 very vague sales threads opened. This weekend I'll work on a formal outline if someone doesn't beat me to it and hopefully we can get a sticky.

I see why they wouldnt come out and say either way about sales. Essentially they have no responsibility to insure or protect users for a failed sale. Like cgc they just need to write up the legal disclaimer. Pretty much buyer beware.

With all that being said we can easily police ourselves once the framework is laid.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I get that they need to have it in black and white that they are not responsible for a bad sale blah blah but why not already have this up and running. Surely having this as a place to sell was always on the agenda?

Just a quick pinned post from them would be nice outlining that a sales option will or will not be included, they are just working on it. Not saying they have to have one ( somehwere to sell). But seems like a no brainer to me.
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I have one of the few sales threads going on this site. It is working well. No problems (yet).

I know this world is all about legal stuff, and about covering ones butt, and also about some people finding ways to get over on others.

But seriously folks. It is pretty simple.

Just post want you have for sale, with a fixed price. State how you want to be paid. Don't put books on here for sale, if you have them for sale on other venues. Designate the shipping charges to be included in the total price, including mandatory insurance for books over twenty bucks. Offer refunds if the buyer is unsatisfied, unless the book is professionally graded and slabbed, and is not damaged in shipping.

Package your books well, and insure them.

Pretty simple. Be a decent and honest human, and I am sure most here are that.

Time for my rant:

This site should be all about collector to collector sales, purchases, and trades. It should not be about "professional" sellers. At least, not in my opinion. If you have a store or an online web site where you sell comic books. Do your business there. CBCS is not your partner and will not be sharing in your revenue stream. But that is just my opinion. Yours may vary.

None of this was told to me by anyone connected with CBCS.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
I have one of the few sales threads going on this site. It is working well. No problems (yet).

I know this world is all about legal stuff, and about covering ones butt, and also about some people finding ways to get over on others.

Just post want you have for sale, with a fixed price. State how you want to be paid. Don't put books on here for sale, if you have them for sale on other venues.

Why not? There's no rule against it.

Quote:
Designate the shipping charges to be included in the total price, including mandatory insurance for books over twenty bucks.

Mandatory insurance for $20? That is utterly ridiculous.

Quote:
Offer refunds if the buyer is unsatisfied, unless the book is professionally graded and slabbed, and is not damaged in shipping.

Honest sellers have return policies for ANY book they sell.

Quote:

Unless it's a $20 book where insurance would be a waste of money. Plus, don't you get some free insurance with the tracking number?

Quote:

Time for my rant:

This site should be all about collector to collector sales, purchases, and trades. It should not be about "professional" sellers. At least, not in my opinion. If you have a store or an online web site where you sell comic books. Do your business there. CBCS is not your partner and will not be sharing in your revenue stream. But that is just my opinion. Yours may vary.

But it's the professional sellers that keep CBCS in business.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector IntoAnother private msg quote post Address this user
A rule should be in place that if you are selling a book here then it should be exclusive to only here. That will rule out an inevitable headache of a book being sold on both sites when the seller doesn't have the time to close one of the sales.

It you have books being sold elsewhere then a sales announcement thread would be more appropriate, it would increase awareness of the sale without the risk of running into issues.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoAnother
A rule should be in place that if you are selling a book here then it should be exclusive to only here. That will rule out an inevitable headache of a book being sold on both sites when the seller doesn't have the time to close one of the sales.

It you have books being sold elsewhere then a sales announcement thread would be more appropriate, it would increase awareness of the sale without the risk of running into issues.

This is why CBCS needs to set the ground rules.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I am not sure they are going to get involved at this stage. Yet since sales are underway it may be for the best if we create guidelines together as a community in the meantime.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am not sure they are going to get involved at this stage. Yet since sales are underway it may be for the best if we create guidelines together as a community in the meantime.

I can't see why they wouldn't. Not saying there isn't a great reason but I can't think of one
Post 21 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I can't see why they wouldn't. Not saying there isn't a great reason but I can't think of one

This isn't specifically directed at you, but there are a handful or reasons that they can't be directly involved at the moment. Just because those reasons aren't public doesn't mean they aren't valid. I don't specifically know what those reasons may be, but I've heard and read enough bits and pieces over the last couple of years to form an idea. It may or may not be correct.

A self-started sales thread or set of selling rules (non-CBCS sanctioned)leaves wiggle room or bendability.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Just post want you have for sale, with a fixed price. State how you want to be paid. Don't put books on here for sale, if you have them for sale on other venues.

Why not? There's no rule against it.

Quote:
Designate the shipping charges to be included in the total price, including mandatory insurance for books over twenty bucks.

Mandatory insurance for $20? That is utterly ridiculous.

Quote:
Offer refunds if the buyer is unsatisfied, unless the book is professionally graded and slabbed, and is not damaged in shipping.

Honest sellers have return policies for ANY book they sell.

Quote:

Unless it's a $20 book where insurance would be a waste of money. Plus, don't you get some free insurance with the tracking number?

Quote:

Time for my rant:

But it's the professional sellers that keep CBCS in business.

So much to disagree with here.

But I will start with a question. I have interacted with someone just like you in the past. Are you Stu? Because you are one contrary person. You have been confrontational with others here, including the people running the site itself.

I will simply say this about your comments.

The thread is entitled in part, "sales etiquette". It is not about rules.

Even "honest sellers" usually do not have returns on professionally graded comic books. I don't know where you get your books, but go to a LCS or to Ebay, buy a book that is professionally graded, and then try to return it. And good luck with that. I know for a fact that you are wrong because I am an honest seller and I would not accept the return of a professionally graded and encapsulated comic book, unless I did something wrong in my shipping/packaging, or in my description (such as posting scans of a different book than I sent to you).

You obviously do not have much experience mailing comic books. You also do not pay attention to details. I said "over twenty dollars". Insurance for items sent priority mail do have fifty dollars automatically, and does not cost any more funds. But books sent by media mail or some other way do not, and should be insured separately unless you just want to take the chance that the buyer will say they never received it or the package was just full of old newspapers. Insurance is cheap and the buyer usually pays it anyway.

Where do you get your information that professional sellers are what keeps CBCS in business? I would like to read that. I have tons of professionally graded books, and about five of them came from professional sellers. The vast majority came from other collectors. Or from me submitting them myself.

You are so contrary, it makes me smile. But hey. I do want to get along with you (and everyone else). So we can just agree to disagree.
Post 23 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
@conditionfreak Yes, it's Stu.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Post 25 IP   flag post
Board Only Transactions
1 - Books must be CBCS or raw only

2 - No spamming. Group your items into one sales thread

3 - It must be an exclusive board-only offer. If the book is offered for sale through another venue then it should NOT be offered here until an outside sales sub forum is created.

4 - Pictures, Estimated grades and any hidden defects must be listed

5 - List estimated shipping costs, times, and methods.

6 - List acceptable forms of payment (NOTE: Personal/Gift PayPal payment is NOT allowed.)

7 - A return policy must be stated with any time limits indicated.

8 - All trade threads must contain estimated values and what books you are looking to trade for.

9 - No raffles/mystery boxes/ Digital code sales

10 - Probationary period for new members. Members with less than 30 days should refrain from posting sales threads. Please take this time to participate with the community.

By using this site for sales/trades BUYERS AND SELLERS AGREE TO FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR TRANSACTIONS. CBCS will not resolve disputes. Purchases and sales are done at your own risk.

Slightly revised from the cgc rules but pretty much to what id like to see
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Board Only Transactions

3 - It must be an exclusive board-only offer. If the book is offered for sale through another venue then it should NOT be offered here until an outside sales sub forum is created.

6 - List acceptable forms of payment (NOTE: Personal/Gift PayPal payment is NOT allowed.)

8 - All trade threads must contain estimated values and what books you are looking to trade for.

10 - Probationary period for new members. Members with less than 30 days should refrain from posting sales threads. Please take this time to participate with the community.

By using this site for sales/trades BUYERS AND SELLERS AGREE TO FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR TRANSACTIONS. CBCS will not resolve disputes. Purchases and sales are done at your own risk.

👍
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This isn't specifically directed at you, but there are a handful or reasons that they can't be directly involved at the moment. Just because those reasons aren't public doesn't mean they aren't valid. I don't specifically know what those reasons may be, but I've heard and read enough bits and pieces over the last couple of years to form an idea. It may or may not be correct.

A self-started sales thread or set of selling rules (non-CBCS sanctioned)leaves wiggle room or bendability.

Agreed I just like to know all haha
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Board Only Transactions

Thanks for taking your time to do this Maverick. Looks good
Post 29 IP   flag post
If and when sale thread rules are established and promulgated. I would also suggest a feature that would help enhance and facilitate their workings.

A feature with the private message system, that would indicate if the person you sent the private message too, opened the message (and thusly could be assumed to have read the private message).

It would save a lot of "but I didn't get, or read the message" problems. Like if someone went into the hospital suddenly.

Just a suggestion. As far as I can ascertain, that info doesn't exist at the moment.
Post 30 IP   flag post
598066 43 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?