Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CGC Label Swap pictures Real?4085

Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
The case in question is cracked, exhibiting evidence of tampering. I wouldn't buy a cracked case and I don't think many others on this board would either. I have yet to see a clean swap of a current CGC label.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiot
Iron Man is dead on correct, and it was this way since CGC first opened their doors. I was involved with the FIRST CGC label fraud case. It was an X-Men# 94 CGC NM 9.4 that I bought off Ebay back in early 2002! The minute I opened the package I knew the BOOK was no better than a VF 8.0 and the label was not exact to spec for the CGC label. This is a VERY long and specific case that i'd rather not write down in text. However, Steve Borock was personally involved, and I finally convinced the Suffolk County (Long Island) District Attorney to press charges against the thief (It was grand larceny as it was a $1,500 purchase)Remember, this was right at the beginning of internet fraud, the local authorities were neophytes regarding such. They actually laughed at me at the police station. They just could not comprehend what I was talking about.

I was VERY lucky the perp lived on Long Island and was eventually arrested on Christmas eve of 2002 (I loved that. Talk about a bad Christmas) The label fraud and the ability to open the case without a scent of damage was possible since day one. Not everyone could do so, nor every time would one find success, but this was a fact!

Love a happy ending
Post 27 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Now some Generation 1 CGC slabs - used the first 16.5 years on over 3 million comics according to CGC. Also still used on CGC slabbed magazines.

This was the first tampered with CGC comic I ever encountered. I purchased it and it fooled me. Sorry about the pictures, but this was over three years ago and I wasn't giving any thought to future presentation and discussion.

If you blow up the label, you can read the number. 0010149004
If you put then number into the CGC Certification Verification, you'll see it belongs to a 9.0 restored with moderate color touch along the edges.

With this book, the top of the slab was opened, the label removed and the thief simply printed a new label which was then inserted. It was changed from purple to blue and while they were at it they bumped the grade to 9.2. The slab looked great. No cracks anywhere. I don't think any glue was even used - the posts were not broken and it just snapped back together. But as I've mentioned before a single drop of super glue or maybe even aquarium sealant - neatly attaches the corners. A DROP.

I discovered the color touch when "cracked" the book out. Then I ran the label number and discovered it was supposed to be a 9.0 restored. Then I took a close look at the label and compared to other old label books and realized exactly what was done. Getting another old label slab and setting it right next to the altered label you could see differences. The blue wasn't as dark - but that could just be from being displayed and exposed to light . But the light blue background looked at closely was sort of muddy, blotchy look. The genuine CGC label was a solid block of color.

But this would fool most people. It fooled me. And that's the thing about tampering and swamping. It doesn't have to look perfect. It just has to look good enough. Lots of slabs have a tiny crack or two. Lots of labels have faded a bit because people like to display their books.

I don't post all this to cause what I believe to be unnecessary alarm and drama. I post it so that people reading will have some perspective. Realize that tampering has both always been a possibility but also always been rare. I've bought and sold thousands of slabbed comics. I've sent dozens of beat up slabs in for reholdering. All of these slabs were fine - except two. Two out of thousands.

And both turned out OK. This Cap 100 I purchased locally from another dealer. Paid with PayPal. We worked out a partial refund. The Star Trek 1 CGC 8.0 I purchased on eBay, opened a item not as described case and got a refund a week or two later. Didn't take pics of that.

Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
The case in question is cracked, exhibiting evidence of tampering. I wouldn't buy a cracked case and I don't think many others on this board would either. I have yet to see a clean swap of a current CGC label.

If you are that savvy, I'm glad for you. Most people wouldn't notice. Most that noticed wouldn't be concerned because slabs pick up tiny cracks, scratches, etc. Perhaps of greatest importance - MOST PEOPLE aren't on this discussion board or any other.

I think boardies here and across the street forget this constantly. The vast overwhelming majority of hobbyists collect raw. The vast overwhelming number of collectors that collect slabs aren't on any discussion forums. Forums where a lot of... call them advanced... collectors do indeed hang out and you can learn a lot. But most just buy books on eBay and from their local comic book store. They don't know the CGC and CBCS forums even exist.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@IronMan

I hear ya, but the grading company made the tampering evident. How much more can you ask for than that? How are they supposed to protect the un-savvy?
Post 30 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Imagine a world where people did not rape, pillage, plunder, lie, steal and cheat. A world where when someone tells you something, they believe it to be the truth.
............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Okay, back to reality. We had a nice minute there.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Imagine a world where people did not rape, pillage, plunder, lie, steal and cheat. A world where when someone tells you something, they believe it to be the truth.

Okay, back to reality. We had a nice minute there.

I am 100% getting rose coloured glasses for my next perscription!
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
I see some poofing went on.

Locked threads, poofing...not so different after all.
Post 33 IP   flag post
@Logan510

I must be behind. What's poofing?
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
@CaptainCanuck Mods removing posts from the thread.
Post 35 IP   flag post
@50AE_DE

Ah, I see. Thanks 👍🏻
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@Logan510

I must be behind. What's poofing?

Posts have been snipped.

Edit: too slow
Post 37 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510

Not exactly, as none of the deleted posts had anything to do with the topic at hand.
Post 38 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
CBCS has pictures on their own website with non heat seal new labels.

#justsaying

This thread is about CGC. Please try to focus.

Actually I was focused, it was a direct response to @shrewbeer, but he has since removed the original content of his post, so my original context to the original conversation is no longer apparent.
Post 39 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510

I prefer "bamf" to poof.
Post 40 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Quote:
CBCS has pictures on their own website with non heat seal new labels.

#justsaying

This thread is about CGC. Please try to focus.

Actually I was focused, it was a direct response to @shrewbeer, but he has since removed the original content of his post, so my original context to the original conversation is no longer apparent.

Yep I can vouch for that. I wiped it out a few minutes after posting, thinking it best not to stir the pot any more.
Post 41 IP   flag post
So I'm guessing before pics and a video are not happening?
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
The "doubters" here are just silly. This is a FACT! It is not a disputatious subject 😒
Post 43 IP   flag post
If putting a new CGC case back together after cracking without evidence of said cracking is such a known "fact" then please present the evidence of such.

I'll wait.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
If putting a new CGC case back together after cracking without evidence of said cracking is such a known "fact" then please present the evidence of such.

I'll wait.

A NEW case I have zero experience with. Yet, I just wrote an entire personal REALITY of this "fact" (old slab) that was adjudicated in a United States courtroom 🤔 What further "facts" do you need? DL, I'm surprised of you? 😕
Post 45 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Hey - never mind comic holders - by some estimates as much as 50% of art in museums and other public galleries are fakes.
Just part of humanity really - as long as there is something we covet and is in short supply, someone somewhere will figure out how to make a buck off of it (either strictly for the $ or for pride in their skill/art/workmanship).
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiot
Quote:

I'll wait.

A NEW case I have zero experience with. Yet, I just wrote an entire personal REALITY of this "fact" (old slab) that was adjudicated in a United States courtroom 🤔 What further "facts" do you need? DL, I'm surprised of you? 😕

This whole thread is about the NEW case, that is what IronMan presented to us. At no time did anyone even mention the old case not being vulnerable.
Post 47 IP   flag post
@DarthLego
The pictures shown were of the old case and label? If not, then I am mistaken and apologize.

Yep, I now see where I lost the thread focus. My bad 👍🏻
Post 48 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
The pictures shown at the beginning of the thread are the new case and label used by the cgc.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I'll wait.

Agreed.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Well it's 12 days later, the judge has now thrown your case out due to lack of evidence.

#MouseDrop
Post 51 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Hmmm. Mouse Drop. I like that. #MouseDrop

Post 52 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
wait I changed my mind. You are just a bad word away from adding "ing" to the end.
Post 53 IP   flag post
600743 53 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?