Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I've seen faded silver and bright silver sigs, anyone know which comes from a sharpie and which comes from a paint marker?

In other words, whats the best thing to use to get a signature in silver? Especially on a black cover!

Any help appreciated, thx!
Post 1 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Ahh,... You got a black cover your getting signed pretty soon, huh!? LOL

<
Post 2 IP   flag post
Yeah prepping for con this morning and realized I never looked for an answer on this. Google is failing me 🍺
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
I've always been advised to stay away from paint markers. They can smear easily and or adhere to the inner well. I've always asked for Sharpie just to be safe.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
If you don't mind me asking, what black cover is being signed and by who?

Also, you pose a good question - which of the two doesn't fade, or is there an alternative that doesn't.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Sirtoddington private msg quote post Address this user
I had a silver sharpie & they SUCK at signatures. Even with a new one they come out light & faded. I know this because I've brought my own sharpie just in case to have musicians sign cd booklets at shows & the silver sharpies just suck beyond everything.... especially if your signing against black. I wish I knew where to get the paint ones. those are bright, vivid, last, & are thicker. though you have to watch out for smears.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Ny85 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm gonna have the same issue with my highlander book, it's solid black
Post 7 IP   flag post
From what I'm reading (thx to @The_Watcher for help!), it seems that Bic Mark-its are the safest bet in terms of fading, wearing, smearing and even eating away at your book 😬.

As for brightness, idk.

@Pre_Coder I'm bringing a few dark covers, but specifically New52 Batman 25. Capullo and Snyder will be there, and I may just hand it to another artist as if its a sketch blank if it comes to that.

Going with kids so I'm trying to keep the books to a minimum. Whittled it down to Finn, Mr/Mrs Finch, Sakai, Capullo, Snyder and bringing a few blanks just in case

Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
Gold or Silver are really your only options on an all black cover, unless you want invisible signatures - only it's not a superpower.

Any instant-dry Silver/Gold permanent marker should do the trick. I've never really had to think about it - other than just let it dry a sec before putting it in a mylar so it doesn't smear.

I think the fading is from paint markers.
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
Only do sharpies. I've ask artists/writers who were about to use paint markers to switch. Most of are pretty accommodating.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Sirtoddington private msg quote post Address this user
Gold & Silver are pretty much universally good period on any type of cover.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine
Only do sharpies. I've ask artists/writers who were about to use paint markers to switch. Most of are pretty accommodating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtoddington
Gold & Silver are pretty much universally good period on any type of cover.

Agreed!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia
I've always been advised to stay away from paint markers. They can smear easily and or adhere to the inner well. I've always asked for Sharpie just to be safe.

Agreed. Never use a paint marker.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I’m sure whatever it was you got me was perfect. PhantomEwan private msg quote post Address this user
I remember this being brought up in a CGC thread. I found it but unfortunately the photos of the problems aren't still there but maybe this is helpful: https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/398863-autograph-defect-warning-against-paint-pens/
If it's not cool to post a link to the CGC chat boards, then let me know and I will delete it.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Krazywan private msg quote post Address this user

This is what I use, go with the silver metallic. I bring my own and just hand it to the artist or writer along with the books I want signed, never had anyone refuse to use my pen, had a couple try and keep it
Post 15 IP   flag post
@Krazywan thats exactly what I ended up using. I couldnt find the bic, but Staples had a four pack of those 👍🏻
Post 16 IP   flag post
601329 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?